What is religion?

Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I cannot answer these questions as I am not enlightened. Even the Buddha, who I imagine was enlightened, refused to answer these sorts of questions. If you practice, you will find out for yourself; no sense wasting time wondering what enlightenment is or what it is like.

How do you know you're not enlightened, how do you know Buddha was enlightened, and how do you know you can't answer those questions?

How can you imagine Buddha was enlightened if you do not even attempt to define "enlightenment"? It doesn't seem like wasted time to me.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
How do you know you're not enlightened,

Test One: I was angry today. Looks like I failed.

Zetherin wrote:
how do you know Buddha was enlightened

Maybe he wasn't, but if the history about him is true, and based on his teachings, if enlightenment is possible, he's a fine candidate for someone who was indeed enlightened.

Zetherin wrote:
and how do you know you can't answer those questions?

Like I said: I am not enlightened. How can I know what it is like to be in love if I have never been in love?

Zetherin wrote:
How can you imagine Buddha was enlightened if you do not even attempt to define "enlightenment"?

Because we can still associate certain qualities with enlightenment without defining enlightenment.

Zetherin wrote:
It doesn't seem like wasted time to me.

Let me ask you this, then: imagine you had never been in love. And so you spend your days wondering what is is like to be in love. You study love poetry and romance novels. You listen to love songs all day and night. You observe lovers walking in the park.

Now, if you want to know what it is to be in love, should you spend your time doing all of these things, or should you get out, find some cutie-pie and fall in love?

That time spent studying love songs, poetry, literature and observing lovers will not bring you any closer to the experience of love. Only finding someone to love and acting on that love will bring that experience of love.

So, maybe postulating about enlightenment is not a total waste of time: but if you are interested in enlightenment, there are certainly better ways to spend your time; instead of observing and storing academic knowledge, it's the practice, working toward enlightenment, which is the far better use of time.

You might say: but why can't I do both? Well, you can. But here is the real kicker: life is short. You only have so much time to get to the top of that mountain. Make the best use of that time.

"Better get yourself together, pretty soon you're gonna be dead."
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:18 pm
@Dichanthelium,
There is no definitive 'stage' that is love. Love can continue to intensify or do the complete opposite, and it's debatable whether one is actually in love to begin with. It seems the definition of "love" varies. And the only thing I am really sure of is when I feel I'm in love. Similarly, as I noted, is there a definitive stage of enlightenment? I understand you prescribe it to experience, but are there stages in this experience? I know when I'm in love, but it appears the way you describe "enlightened" it has an elusive nature. You knew you weren't enlightened because you were angry today. Expression of emotion means you weren't enlightened?

Furthermore, love is a feeling, is enlightenment a feeling? I can psychologically evaluate the ramifications of this feeling. How would I see the ramifications of "enlightened"? How would I know I'm enlightened? No, I won't *know* the experience of love without actually being in love, but I can assign qualities as you note. So, what are the qualities of "enlightened"?

Perhaps obtaining knowledge, opening my mind to new experience (through conversation such as this), and simply being respectful is driving me closer to "enlightened". Maybe this is the experience. How would you know*?

*And I really don't mean this in any deragotory fashion. Really, how would you know?

DT: Are we simply entering the realm of faith now? If so, I will respect you and won't further the discussion, just as I did with Elmund. I usually have the understanding enough to realize when things should or shouldn't be put through the rigors of logical evaluation, but I'm just not sure with this one.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:36 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I cannot answer these questions as I am not enlightened. Even the Buddha, who I imagine was enlightened, refused to answer these sorts of questions. If you practice, you will find out for yourself; no sense wasting time wondering what enlightenment is or what it is like.

<wonders if enlightenment could have been a sort of quantum leap in evolution.
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:47 am
@hammersklavier,
Dichanthelium wrote:
But law lacks some of the other attributes included in my definition, right?

How do you mean?
Khethil

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:30 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Knethil, the definition you propose has me thinking:

How could any human, with the capabilities to rationalize, not be religious to some extent then?

For it seems to me there is faithful devotion to some ultimate reality in most processes every human strives to accomplish. Couldn't drive, motivation, be deemed faithful devotion to something: This something not necessarily having anything to do with traditional spiritual practice or ceremony? Couldn't life, at least human life, capable of rationally understanding the world around us with emotion, be susceptible to manifesting faith or devotion to something on some level, this something being deemed an ultimate reality? It seems to me this is ingrained within the will to live. It has me to think we're spiritual creatures, at least on some level, whether we deny notions of "God" or not, whether we deny certain practice or not, whether we deny our short-sightedness or not.

But as defined, it's more than *just* devotion, it's " relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity". I'm not religious because I have no faithful devotion to any ultimate reality or deity.

As far as being "spiritual" creatures on some level; perhaps, but this isn't synonymous with religiosity.

Thanks
Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 01:38 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
But as defined, it's more than *just* devotion, it's " relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity". I'm not religious because I have no faithful devotion to any ultimate reality or deity.

As far as being "spiritual" creatures on some level; perhaps, but this isn't synonymous with religiosity.

Thanks

DT and I have spoken about "spiritual" and "religious", and came to the conclusion that they are both synonymous. Organized religion is but one facet of religion; one need not abide by the organization that is religion (perhaps a specific church), but this does not necessarily make the person non-religious. For if they do delve into spirituality on some level, they are religious. Perhaps you disagree?

Next, how is "ultimate reality" defined? I don't consider myself religious in the organizational sense either, but I care much about the acquisition of knowledge and enlightenment (allowing others insight). I feel that understanding, peace, and wisdom will guide humanity into a better existence. Does this mean I believe in an ultimate reality? Does ultimate reality necessitate some kind of elusive mysticism?
Khethil

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:02 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
DT and I have spoken about "spiritual" and "religious", and came to the conclusion that they are both synonymous. Organized religion is but one facet of religion; one need not abide by the organization that is religion (perhaps a specific church), but this does not necessarily make the person non-religious. For if they do delve into spirituality on some level, they are religious. Perhaps you disagree?

Somewhat; depending on what the context is one may or may not encompass the other. Looking at some reference material on the two concepts, they certainly have their overlap. No, I wouldn't draw them as synonymous - on the whole - but given the personalized nature of such concepts I'm not sure I'd see any harm in it.

Zetherin wrote:
Next, how is "ultimate reality" defined? I don't consider myself religious in the organizational sense either, but I care much about the acquisition of knowledge and enlightenment (allowing others insight). I feel that understanding, peace, and wisdom will guide humanity into a better existence. Does this mean I believe in an ultimate reality? Does ultimate reality necessitate some kind of elusive mysticism?

I'd say that in the way I view the issue; most forms of 'ultimate reality' probably have their mystic elements, but they're by no means joined at the hip. As far as what ultimate reality might mean, I'd say any view of reality that goes beyond the corporeal, material, commonly-experienced aspects of daily life (or perhaps metaphysical ideals that one believes universally apply yet are beyond our immediate corporeal experience). I hadn't much thought on it - I don't really feel there is any ultimate reality as such - I'm just not sure I'd see any value, for myself, in redefining 'religion' past what has already been established. To my mind the issue itself gets far too much 'air play' as is; generally towards either 'bad endings' in the exchange or at best, the ubiquitous "who knows".

It's so personalized, so specific to the thought's holder, that's its virtually blurred into obscurity. Many people take such a label and brand it proudly; while others - that may seem patently-religious - could make a strong point that they're not. Because of this 'subjectively-applied' nature, it (for me) falls into the realm of the murky; and rightly so, since such concepts are borne of the mind anyway.

This is not to say I think y'all's discussion hasn't worth. Sometimes the most unlikely ideals bear the sweetest unanticipated fruit.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Test One: I was angry today. Looks like I failed.

"
So, enlightenment discounts ones humanity. Probably would not use the bathroom anymore either.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:14 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Khethil wrote:
Somewhat; depending on what the context is one may or may not encompass the other. Looking at some reference material on the two concepts, they certainly have their overlap. No, I wouldn't draw them as synonymous - on the whole - but given the personalized nature of such concepts I'm not sure I'd see any harm in it.

Can you give me any examples where they would not be synonymous?

I ask because I believe many, upon hearing "religion", immediately think of the organized religion of our time. However, as learned from DT, "religion" spans much further.

Khethil wrote:

I'd say that in the way I view the issue; most forms of 'ultimate reality' probably have their mystic elements, but they're by no means joined at the hip. As far as what ultimate reality might mean, I'd say any view of reality that goes beyond the corporeal, material, commonly-experienced aspects of daily life (or perhaps metaphysical ideals that one believes universally apply yet are beyond our immediate corporeal experience). I hadn't much thought on it - I don't really feel there is any ultimate reality as such - I'm just not sure I'd see any value, for myself, in redefining 'religion' past what has already been established. To my mind the issue itself gets far too much 'air play' as is; generally towards either 'bad endings' in the exchange or at best, the ubiquitous "who knows".

Not only has the meaning of "religion" changed over the centuries, but even to this day I don't think there is a consensus establishment. Every definition I've seen is vague and could be applied to so many different notions (such as spirituality). I find it useful to evaluate the mythological progression of humanity, not redefining "religion" per se. In fact, I'm just trying to learn what "religion" actually is! Sure, I could just spout off a commonly used organizational definitions of the term, but I honestly feel it is much deeper than the affiliations with which I was raised.

It's hard for me to think of anyone that doesn't believe in anything besides the corporeal, material, or commonly-experienced aspects of life. Feelings themselves, I'd think, can be interpreted to transcend these things you mention. Even the hard question of consciousness points to this. I also don't feel 'ultimate reality', as you note, has to have these elusive mystical stigmas attached. I understand where you're coming from, I'm just not convinced humans deviate from this 'ultimate reality', even if they are non-religious in the modern, organized sense.

Khethil wrote:
It's so personalized, so specific to the thought's holder, that's its virtually blurred into obscurity. Many people take such a label and brand it proudly; while others - that may seem patently-religious - could make a strong point that they're not. Because of this 'subjectively-applied' nature, it (for me) falls into the realm of the murky; and rightly so, since such concepts are borne of the mind anyway.

That's completely fair, I simply have different interests. Because, for me, those notions borne of the mind (which don't appear to have an objective nature) are the most intriguing, and I find myself time and time again delving into those murky waters seeking the 'heart'. I feel these intricate, personalized experiences are what make us human (qualia, perhaps), and are most definitely worth philosophizing about.

This is why I consistently question my beliefs, my views on seemingly abstract concepts such as "spirituality", "God". No, there's no logical arguments made, and I understand many could interpret the critical thinking as meaningless, but, well, I simply do not.

Thanks for your contribution,

Zeth
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
There is no definitive 'stage' that is love. Love can continue to intensify or do the complete opposite, and it's debatable whether one is actually in love to begin with. It seems the definition of "love" varies. And the only thing I am really sure of is when I feel I'm in love. Similarly, as I noted, is there a definitive stage of enlightenment? I understand you prescribe it to experience, but are there stages in this experience? I know when I'm in love, but it appears the way you describe "enlightened" it has an elusive nature. You knew you weren't enlightened because you were angry today. Expression of emotion means you weren't enlightened?

Well, love does not seem to be, in of itself, enlightenment. You are asking tough questions of a terrible spiritual student. You'll have to understand if my attempts at providing explanatory examples fails Surprised

But let me try to grab something I do feel comfortable answering: the expression of emotion meaning I'm not enlightened idea. No: to be enlightened is not to never express emotion. Anger is an aggressive emotion, one of hate; an enlightened being seems to be one that does not hate. One might be saddened by something tragic, or joyful at something wonderful: but the response of anger, a response of hate, is too extreme and will only produce more anger and hate. If I am angry with you, and I act on that anger, chances are you will become angry yourself. Does that make any sense?

Zetherin wrote:
Furthermore, love is a feeling, is enlightenment a feeling? I can psychologically evaluate the ramifications of this feeling. How would I see the ramifications of "enlightened"? How would I know I'm enlightened? No, I won't *know* the experience of love without actually being in love, but I can assign qualities as you note. So, what are the qualities of "enlightened"?

I can toss out qualities which seem to be typical of enlightenment, but I cannot give a list of qualities and say 'if you have X,Y,Z you are enlightened', you know?

Again, there is a reason teachers do not speak at length about enlightenment. And that was really my point with the love example: is it better to learn academically about love, is it possible? or should we go out and fall in love? Falling in love seems to make more sense. Enlightenment, in that way, is similar to love: forget the academic stuff: it is something to work towards, not something to argue and postulate about. Better to practice.

Zetherin wrote:
Perhaps obtaining knowledge, opening my mind to new experience (through conversation such as this), and simply being respectful is driving me closer to "enlightened". Maybe this is the experience. How would you know*?

I would not know for sure. The best I, or anyone else can do, is to read what enlightened beings have had to say. I suspect that some of this discourse, that some of this academic learning, is a helpful step on the path toward enlightenment, but it seems to me that that learning is not by itself sufficient: you have to practice. Think about the philosophy of ethics: one could know everything there is to know about ethics and still be a bad person. It is the practice of ethics that matters.

Zetherin wrote:
*And I really don't mean this in any deragotory fashion. Really, how would you know?

Mara asked the same question of the Buddha: how do you know you are enlightened and who will be your witness so that others believe you? The Buddha replied by planting his hand into the earth. If you are a transcendent musician, you know, no one needs to tell you. And others will know by seeing you play. Enlightenment might be similar to such a condition: once you've got it, you've got it and others will see it in you. The Buddhists say not to go out and search for a teacher because when you encounter the right teacher, you will know: there are stories of people falling off their horses when face to face with the monk who is to be their teacher.

Zetherin wrote:
DT: Are we simply entering the realm of faith now? If so, I will respect you and won't further the discussion, just as I did with Elmund. I usually have the understanding enough to realize when things should or shouldn't be put through the rigors of logical evaluation, but I'm just not sure with this one.

Well, my explanations are most certainly deficient. If this question interests you, there is a book called Buddhism Without Beliefs. I think it might be able to help answer some of your questions.

Elmud wrote:
<wonders if enlightenment could have been a sort of quantum leap in evolution.

Robert Thurman uses the word evolution when describing the spiritual progress of Buddhism and Buddhist Tibet.

Elmud wrote:
So, enlightenment discounts ones humanity. Probably would not use the bathroom anymore either.

Not at all. Enlightenment is more like the best way to use your humanity, including going to the bathroom, to help others. Well, at least that seems universal to enlightened beings.

I'm not even sure one must be human to be enlightened.

Folks: We are getting into a tough subject: some questions I cannot answer, some questions I could try to answer but I also know I should not try to answer them. I'm sorry if I leave you hanging on some things, leave explanations incomplete and dance around some of your queries. I wish I could do better for you. In the face of my own inability, my best advice is to check up on this stuff on your own. If you like, I would love to give book suggestions that might help you better understand this stuff: if you read them, you'll understand this topic and many more topics better than I will, I guarantee it. I'm a terrible student: if you read the books I recommend you will inherit a wealth of irreplaceable information that my memory deficient mind can only begin to grasp.
Zetherin

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:00 pm
@Dichanthelium,
You can't give me any qualities (besides not showing anger), and then state:

Didymos Thomas wrote:
The best I, or anyone else can do, is to read what enlightened beings have had to say

How in the world do you know anyone was enlightened if you can't even clearly list the qualities enlightenment contains?

I ask: How do we even know of it's existence? Isn't it possible there is no point of enlightenment, that, as I noted, it is simply the journey through the human condition? Must a mystical stigma be attached?

I am sure of love's existence because I can feel it. I have gone through the experience, I don't just sit around and postulate about it. The point is, I can evaluate the ramifications of this feeling because I have had the experience. How do I go about experiencing "enlightened" to evaluate its ramifications? This is not even clear.

Thus we have a term supposedly many strive for, very little understanding of the qualities such term contains, and belief systems which vaguely, at best, teach how to become (enlightened). At what point do we consider "enlightened", just as stories like 'Jonah and the whale', is fictional?

I state:

Zetherin wrote:
Perhaps obtaining knowledge, opening my mind to new experience (through conversation such as this), and simply being respectful is driving me closer to "enlightened". Maybe this is the experience.

And you really don't know. And if you really don't know, then...

Well, I'm just lost! I haven't a clue why you assume it's in existence and strive for it.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Can you give me any examples where they would not be synonymous?

Spirituality is having to do with, or relating to or affecting the concept of a spirit; and we've already talked about the established definition of Religion. So... that shows really well the difference. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for - they're already two separate, though related, concepts. Just like a separate being called 'god' isn't contained in every religion, I'd think it a 'given' that not every religion ascribes to the notion of a 'spirit'. To verify this, I'd need to contact everyone on the planet and get their inner-most theological views; compare and verify. Unfortunately, I'm off to get lunch soon Smile

Perhaps a good way to answer it is this: Where they are pseudo-synonymous, would be those belief systems where one's faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity encompasses some sort of "spirit" reference. Where one has those elements already defined in 'Religion' wherein there is no "spirit" element could equal the other. Because they describe different aspects, doesn't necessarily mean they're mutually-exclusive.

Zetherin wrote:
I ask because I believe many, upon hearing "religion", immediately think of the organized religion of our time. However, as learned from DT, "religion" spans much further.

Well, believe it or not, many of us knew this before DT came along :p

But seriously, it is a common mistake; and given the prepondrance of cultures from which people here hail, it's no wonder. Stand around a hall in northeast africa talking about such existential issues and someone would inevitably say, "Hey, spirituality isn't ALWAYS tribalism!". It's what so many of us know.

Zetherin wrote:
Not only has the meaning of "religion" changed over the centuries, but even to this day I don't think there is a consensus establishment.

I dont' think the definition's changed. I do; however, believe our examples of it has. It still has to do with the same constitient elements, yet the 'faces' of it - that we happen to see - have. Not so much has changed as sometimes we think; not a whole lot of truly-original thought for the last several dozen millenia. Always there's the ego that says, "Wow! Things are so different nowadays"... no, not really, not from what I've read.

And no, you're not going to get any concensus anyway; and perhaps therein lies the only real truth you'll find in the study of the matter: That it is this personalized area that will have countless iterations.

Zetherin wrote:
Every definition I've seen is vague and could be applied to so many different notions (such as spirituality). I find it useful to evaluate the mythological progression of humanity, not redefining "religion" per se. In fact, I'm just trying to learn what "religion" actually is! Sure, I could just spout off a commonly used organizational definitions of the term, but I honestly feel it is much deeper than the affiliations with which I was raised.

I think here you've answered your own question: By realizing just how vague the issue is, it only stands to reason that there are so many personalized 'definitions'. In this, the problem hasn't to do with any definition, per say; it's vaguery has to do with the issue itself.

Zetherin wrote:
It's hard for me to think of anyone that doesn't believe in anything besides the corporeal, material, or commonly-experienced aspects of life.

And it's likely from this from whence your questions come. How might one think outside the box - away from the basis of their own notions of existence, meaning, potentialities and so on? In many ways, it's like two people trying to have a debate; one in English, one in French. You'll pick up some elements of what the other's trying to say, but only bits and pieces will make sense. This isn't to say the effort doesn't have worth; it illustrates the difficulty in coming from such vastly-divergent mindsets.

Our theology, metaphysical view and notions of religion, existence and spirituality lie at the heart of our sense of self. As such, they influence nearly every aspect of our life. Yes it's important to talk about, as long as one realized the inherent difficulty; this murkyness of definition and divergent mindsets.

Zetherin wrote:
That's completely fair, I simply have different interests. Because, for me, those notions borne of the mind (which don't appear to have an objective nature) are the most intriguing, and I find myself time and time again delving into those murky waters seeking the 'heart'. I feel these intricate, personalized experiences are what make us human (qualia, perhaps), and are most definitely worth philosophizing about.

Matters of the heart are most-worthy, to be sure! Again though - if I may offer - matters of the heart, spirituality and religion are three different things. One needn't look very far to probe those aspects of human most mentally-intimate; likewise, one needn't ascribe any 'ultimate-anything' to discover those elements you describe as, "... intricate, personalized experiences".

Zetherin wrote:
This is why I consistently question my beliefs, my views on seemingly abstract concepts such as "spirituality", "God". No, there's no logical arguments made, and I understand many could interpret the critical thinking as meaningless, but, well, I simply do not.

No, they're not meaningless at all. It's a needful and necessary exercise (imho) for everyone who is a fan of our existence. There came a time for me, personally, where I sought and sought different systems, ideals and notions of religiosity/spirituality until I came to a place that felt right; felt real, and brought some peace (that being that all such notions are a product of one's own mind wherein consensus is rare, culture is king and one's hopes and fears dictate with free reign).

I, too, remain open to all the possibilities expressed, but no longer feel a 'need' to keep re-examining. Perhaps I will again some day (and in this, too, I keep myself open to the experience).

Again, good luck with this. I hope you find some sense of what you're looking for.

Thanks
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 06:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Folks: We are getting into a tough subject: some questions I cannot answer, some questions I could try to answer but I also know I should not try to answer them. I'm sorry if I leave you hanging on some things, leave explanations incomplete and dance around some of your queries. I wish I could do better for you. In the face of my own inability, my best advice is to check up on this stuff on your own. If you like, I would love to give book suggestions that might help you better understand this stuff: if you read them, you'll understand this topic and many more topics better than I will, I guarantee it. I'm a terrible student: if you read the books I recommend you will inherit a wealth of irreplaceable information that my memory deficient mind can only begin to grasp.

Well, alrighty then. Can you imagine how people like Siddhartha And Jesus must have strained under all these questions? I think you may have an idea now. "Curiosity killed the cat". Religion is about "faith".Thanks for your patience DT.
Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 06:49 pm
@Elmud,
Religion:

Etymology:Middle English, "religioun", from Anglo French, "religiun", Latin,religion-religio supernatural "Constraint", sanction, religious "practice",perhaps from religare to "Restrain", tie back. So, it is a form of balance.

A cause or principle, or system of beliefs held to do with arbor and "Faith".

Can't beat ole Webster sometimes.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
An enlightened one , is one who in circumstances of darkness, has provided light. Figuratively speaking. It is simply a circumstantial uniqueness. Pretty much it. No other qualities need apply.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:19 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
An enlightened one , is one who in circumstances of darkness, has provided light. Figuratively speaking. It is simply a circumstantial uniqueness. Pretty much it. No other qualities need apply.

Your explanation is completely ambiguous, and then you say "No other qualities need apply" as if you actually provided any qualities :perplexed:
Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 08:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Your explanation is completely ambiguous, and then you say "No other qualities need apply" as if you actually provided any qualities :perplexed:
In circumstances of darkness, light becomes a quality. Nothing vague about that. But, that is just a simplistic logical view. Others can enhance it if they wish.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:19 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Religion:

Etymology:Middle English, "religioun", from Anglo French, "religiun", Latin,religion-religio supernatural "Constraint", sanction, religious "practice",perhaps from religare to "Restrain", tie back. So, it is a form of balance.

A cause or principle, or system of beliefs held to do with arbor and "Faith".

Can't beat ole Webster sometimes.

Etymology does not always determine meaning. Take, for example, the English ambulation, meaning to walk about. This is derived from the Latin ambulo, which means to walk. Here's the trick: the English ambulance is also derived from the Latin ambulo, but as we all know ambulances do not walk. The change is an historical transition: originally, an ambulance was two men and a stretcher, and over time an ambulance became a couple of guys in a motorized wagon.

Today, I do not think that we can discern the meaning of the word religion from the word's etymology. We just do not use it in that way.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
@Dichanthelium,
The statement:

Quote:
An enlightened one , is one who in circumstances of darkness, has provided light.

is figurative. And, in this case, very open to interpretation. Do you understand?
0 Replies