What is religion?

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 06:39 pm
I would propose, as a hypothesis, that religion, in the broad sense, is the human impulse to understand the meaning of life, the impulse to understand one's relationship to world. (Wait...Are those two different concepts?)

I'm not sure that religion and philosophy are actually two different things. Particular religions, though, especially as they become institutional, tend to color things so that religion and philosophy would seem to diverge. But do they really?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,933 • Replies: 95
No top replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:16 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I would propose, as a hypothesis, that religion, in the broad sense, is the human impulse to understand the meaning of life, the impulse to understand one's relationship to world. (Wait...Are those two different concepts?)

I'm not sure that religion and philosophy are actually two different things. Particular religions, though, especially as they become institutional, tend to color things so that religion and philosophy would seem to diverge. But do they really?

I suppose religion could be the practice of anything.Maybe its something that makes us in our own mind, more than what we are.
neapolitan

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:24 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:

When one searches for the "meaning of life" he is searching for the meaning of his own life.
And when one ponders his relationship of himself to the world he is wondering what is his place in the world, and the world to him is everyone else on this planet, the instutions they create, the junk they make.
So you could say they are differnet concepts.

(so far you have a the meaning of self, the meaning of self to mankind,) But there is something missing in your hypothesis, you left out the most important part of any relegion: God! If a religion didn't have God it wouldn't be call religion it would be call atheism. Isn't that the whole point of religion, one relationship with God?

Dichanthelium wrote:

All religion have some philosphy in it, but not all religions have logic. And the same rings true with philosophy.

Nature abhores a vacuum, and this is true in the spiritual side of people, if one does not have God to fill his soul then something else is filling his soul.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:52 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I suppose religion could be the practice of anything.

Don't you think we have to be more specific than that? A lot of people have practices (regular behaviors) that we don't typically think of as religious. For example, let's say I go to the gym and work out three times a week.

Elmud wrote:
Maybe its something that makes us in our own mind, more than what we are.

You mean it's something that causes delusions?

neapolitan wrote:
When one searches for the "meaning of life" he is searching for the meaning of his own life. And when one ponders his relationship of himself to the world he is wondering what is his place in the world, and the world to him is everyone else on this planet, the instutions they create, the junk they make. So you could say they are differnet concepts.

Yes, I understand. It's just that my relationships are so central to the meaning of my life, it's hard to separate the two concepts.

neapolitan wrote:
(so far you have a the meaning of self, the meaning of self to mankind,) But there is something missing in your hypothesis, you left out the most important part of any relegion: God! If a religion didn't have God it wouldn't be call religion it would be call atheism. Isn't that the whole point of religion, one relationship with God?

I suppose, at least within the religions that function with a model of monotheism.

neapolitan wrote:
All religion have some philosphy in it, but not all religions have logic. And the same rings true with philosophy.

What would be an example of a religion or philosophy that does not have logic?

neapolitan wrote:
Nature abhores a vacuum, and this is true in the spiritual side of people, if one does not have God to fill his soul then something else is filling his soul.

What do you mean by the "spiritual side of people"? We would have to define this within the context of a philosophical approach to the meaning of religion.
Elmud

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:03 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:

You mean it's something that causes delusions?
Don't ya ever wonder what it was like back when there was no religion? I do sometimes.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:42 pm
@Elmud,
neapolitan wrote:
If a religion didn't have God it wouldn't be call religion it would be call atheism. Isn't that the whole point of religion, one relationship with God?

What about Buddhism, certain forms of Taoism and certain forms of Hinduism? These seem to be examples of atheistic religion.

Elmud wrote:
Don't ya ever wonder what it was like back when there was no religion? I do sometimes.

And when was that? I'm not sure that modern man every lacked something we would call religion.
Justin

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Dichanthelium wrote:

Religion is a philosophy. They really aren't different things because in order to devote yourself to religion it has to somewhat sit well within your philosophy.

Philosophy = The sum of what we know. Religion = the sum of what someone else knows.

In order to have a religion you must first have a philosophy. Then once your philosophy has enough followers and you've been able to draw money out your followers you form an organized religion based solely on your philosophy. Religion is just an organized form of this. It's a fellowship of philosophers who buy into the same thing and it's usually passed down from generation to generation.

neapolitan wrote:
But there is something missing in your hypothesis, you left out the most important part of any religion: God! If a religion didn't have God it wouldn't be call religion it would be call atheism. Isn't that the whole point of religion, one relationship with God?

God is not the most important part of any religion, money is. No, the whole point of religion is to gather as many followers as possible and have them put money in that jar every week. If religions taught one relationship with God then this world wouldn't be so corrupt. Religion just adds to the corruption.

neapolitan wrote:

What's not logical about one blind man following another? It's logical that I follow in the religious footsteps of my father, grand father, ancestors. Let's consider it 'blind' logic. Religion is just another philosophy.

neapolitan wrote:
Nature abhors a vacuum, and this is true in the spiritual side of people, if one does not have God to fill his soul then something else is filling his soul.

Yeah money. lol.

Religion, and I mean no disrespect, is simply another philosophy but it's a philosophy of people who follow a leader. The leader often times doesn't believe it himself, just ask Joel Osteen.

YouTube - Joel Osteen on the gospel
YouTube - Joel Osteen on the gospel cannot make up his mind
Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

God is not the most important part of any religion, money is. No, the whole point of religion is to gather as many followers as possible and have them put money in that jar every week. If religions taught one relationship with God then this world wouldn't be so corrupt. Religion just adds to the corruption.

Kierkegaard spent his life trying to distance authentic religion from money and organized religion (like Christendom). And I agree with that.

Quote:

Religion, and I mean no disrespect, is simply another philosophy but it's a philosophy of people who follow a leader. The leader often times doesn't believe it himself, just ask Joel Osteen.

Philosophy does have its leaders; they are the major figures of philosophy (Pragmatism - James/Peirce; Thomism - Aquinas; Logical Positivism - Ayer/Carnap) And even some doubt their own philosophy (like the later Ayer)

I think the difference is that religion takes things for granted, philosophy doesn't. In religions, the holy text outlines things that followers must adhere to; in philosophy, one doubts the text and solutions of philosophers and creates new problems.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:28 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Justin wrote:
Religion is a philosophy. They really aren't different things because in order to devote yourself to religion it has to somewhat sit well within your philosophy.

Philosophy = The sum of what we know. Religion = the sum of what someone else knows.

If religion is philosophy, and philosophy is the same as the sum of what we know, then religion is also the sum of what we know.

More importantly: where do you get the notion that religion is necessarily "the sum of what someone else knows"? Have religious teachers never taught that practitioners should doubt and disbelieve the teachings until the practitioner sees the truth of the teachings for himself? As I recall, such things have been taught.

Justin wrote:
In order to have a religion you must first have a philosophy. Then once your philosophy has enough followers and you've been able to draw money out your followers you form an organized religion based solely on your philosophy. Religion is just an organized form of this. It's a fellowship of philosophers who buy into the same thing and it's usually passed down from generation to generation.

I can agree with a great deal of this, but the inclusion of money seems problematic. Even though what you describe may be the case, what you describe does not seem to be the case necessarily.

Justin wrote:

Again, you take what is sometimes the case and apply what sometimes occurs to all religion. Not only is the logic fallacious, but history even provides counter examples.

Justin wrote:

If your evidence is people like Mr. Olsteen, then the problem is obvious: you are looking at self-help gurus instead of spiritual teachers.

Victor Eremita wrote:
Kierkegaard spent his life trying to distance authentic religion from money and organized religion (like Christendom). And I agree with that.

I do not agree with everything Kierkegaard stood for, but his intentions and monumental efforts are to be admired.

Victor Eremita wrote:
I think the difference is that religion takes things for granted, philosophy doesn't. In religions, the holy text outlines things that followers must adhere to; in philosophy, one doubts the text and solutions of philosophers and creates new problems.

And religious people do not doubt? Are they never taught to doubt? It seems to me that, not only do religious people doubt and question what they are taught, but that sometimes religious people are compelled/advised/taught by their faith tradition and spiritual mentors to doubt and question their faith.

Religious people do doubt and criticize their holy texts. Religious people do create new problems and produce new contemplations: how else do you think religion has managed to change over time?
Elmud

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:30 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
And when was that? I'm not sure that modern man every lacked something we would call religion.

Back in the cave man days?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:41 pm
@Elmud,
Well, archaeologists have found that paleolithic man had burial rituals, made idols, and some think certain cave paintings dating from this time have spiritual significance.

Why do people think religion is not natural to man? I still do not understand this. There has never been sustained human society without water, and never sustained human society without religion. Some people seem to think that man can carry on without religion: but why on earth do people think this? We may be able to go on without organized religion as we know today, and we might get along with remarkably different types of spiritual practice: but that does not mean that religion is completely out the window. We can replace myths, but they must be replaced with something. Pick and choose your mythology, but I have not seen one good reason as to why man can do without his myths, and man has always invented new myths when the myths of old seem alien and irrelevant.
Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 06:07 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
And religious people do not doubt? Are they never taught to doubt?

That's the philosophy part doing the doubting. Philosophy and Religion are interrelated yes, like Justin says. That's a difference between something like Christianity and Christian Existentialism. Christianity's New Testament is taken as a given. Kierkegaard's work doubts itself even!

There are differences between something like the Holy Bible, Koran and the Torah versus Meditations, Either/Or, Critique of Pure Reason, and the Republic. The former books contain commandments that says followers must adhere to. The latter books contain theorem, ideas, and they do not order readers to do things.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:23 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
That's the philosophy part doing the doubting. Philosophy and Religion are interrelated yes, like Justin says. That's a difference between something like Christianity and Christian Existentialism. Christianity's New Testament is taken as a given. Kierkegaard's work doubts itself even!

Why must it be philosophy, and not religion, that is "doing the doubting"? If we say that all doubt is philosophical, perhaps there may be an argument, but that all doubt is philosophical, I imagine, is false.

To say that religious doubts is a process of philosophy is to suggest that one cannot doubt in a religious way.

Philosophy and religion are interrelated, but I'm not convinced that the relation is the same relation outlined by Justin. In some instances, philosophy is a discipline of religion: this is and has been true in Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and even Christianity.

You mention Christianity and Christian Existentialism and say that they are different. And they are different in some ways. But let's ask: what is the difference? Isn't it true that Christian Existentialism is part of that umbrella term Christianity? That contained within Christianity is Christian Existentialism? So, then the difference is that Christianity is simply broader than Christian Existentialism, the latter being a label for a portion of the former. Example: my hand is different from me, but still a part of me.

Victor Eremita wrote:
There are differences between something like the Holy Bible, Koran and the Torah versus Meditations, Either/Or, Critique of Pure Reason, and the Republic. The former books contain commandments that says followers must adhere to. The latter books contain theorem, ideas, and they do not order readers to do things.

Yes, these texts are different. And yes, those scriptures do contain commandments that followers should adhere to, but these books contain more than commandments. Like many philosophic treatises, those scriptures also contain ideas (I'm surprised you mentioned the inclusion of ideas in these works as a difference!). They contain early manifestations of what we now call thought experiments, as seen in the parables.

But this is all complicated when we begin to look at Eastern scripture. Some scripture in the east is nothing more than philosophic treatises along the lines of The Meditations and so forth: and recall the religious overtones of many of those treatises you mention. JS Mill claims, in Utilitarianism, that God is a Utilitarian: you cannot competently argue that the work is secular.

Further, these books may not order people to do things, but these books do give direction as to how/when/why we should and should not do things. The difference there is tone of voice.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:45 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:

Why must it be philosophy, and not religion, that is "doing the doubting"? If we say that all doubt is philosophical, perhaps there may be an argument, but that all doubt is philosophical, I imagine, is false.

Before I dig myself into a deep hole from which no man can ever return, when I said "Philosophy" I meant the intellectual thinking that accompanies rational thought in disciplines like philosophy, theology, mathematics, etc.
Quote:
To say that religious doubts is a process of philosophy is to suggest that one cannot doubt in a religious way.

They say theology is the study of religion. Religion, then, is the set of maxims to adhere to to become a "follower" of this religion. If you have doubt about the maxim, Become one with the universe, you engage in a theological inquiry about the meaning of this religious maxim.
Quote:

You mention Christianity and Christian Existentialism and say that they are different. And they are different in some ways. But let's ask: what is the difference? Isn't it true that Christian Existentialism is part of that umbrella term Christianity? That contained within Christianity is Christian Existentialism? So, then the difference is that Christianity is simply broader than Christian Existentialism, the latter being a label for a portion of the former. Example: my hand is different from me, but still a part of me.

IF Christianity is the body, then Christian existentialism is Gray's Anatomy. Philosophical and theological schools like Lutheranism and Christian existentialism are different ways to interpret the religion. Gray's Anatomy was an 19th century way of looking at the body, but has been supplanted with modern 21st century ways. But the body remains as it is in those centuries. So it is with Christanity and it's different interpretors along the way, Augustinism, Thomism, Kierkegaardianism, etc.
---
Quote:

Yes, these texts are different. And yes, those scriptures do contain commandments that followers should adhere to, but these books contain more than commandments. Like many philosophic treatises, those scriptures also contain ideas (I'm surprised you mentioned the inclusion of ideas in these works as a difference!). They contain early manifestations of what we now call thought experiments, as seen in the parables.
But this is all complicated when we begin to look at Eastern scripture. Some scripture in the east is nothing more than philosophic treatises along the lines of The Meditations and so forth: and recall the religious overtones of many of those treatises you mention. JS Mill claims, in Utilitarianism, that God is a Utilitarian: you cannot competently argue that the work is secular.
Further, these books may not order people to do things, but these books do give direction as to how/when/why we should and should not do things. The difference there is tone of voice.

The difference is apparent. To use the body example again, the body needs oxygen and food to live. Do you need a book to tell you to do this or does the body "order" you for food (starvation) or oxygen (gasping). For religion, somethings are elementary. Others are guide books, like vitamin supplements or what have you.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:55 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
If religion is philosophy, and philosophy is the same as the sum of what we know, then religion is also the sum of what we know.

Sure I agree. The sum of what we know to follow. It's all the same thing IMHO.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
More importantly: where do you get the notion that religion is necessarily "the sum of what someone else knows"? Have religious teachers never taught that practitioners should doubt and disbelieve the teachings until the practitioner sees the truth of the teachings for himself? As I recall, such things have been taught.

I'm sure there are some religious teachers have good stuff to preach that they believe in. Others have to convince themselves they believe in it as they age and evolve. Still others just lead people on tradition and mythology, influencing and leading them in ways they do not believe.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I can agree with a great deal of this, but the inclusion of money seems problematic. Even though what you describe may be the case, what you describe does not seem to be the case necessarily.

Money is a big part of it. It supports political agendas, wars, large companies and even larger scandals. Religions can be used as form of major money laundering among other things... and have. Religion, while all may not be bad, the majority God is the money.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Again, you take what is sometimes the case and apply what sometimes occurs to all religion. Not only is the logic fallacious, but history even provides counter examples.

I do want to prevent stereotyping so when I refer to Religion I'm referring to the big ones. I'm referring to the major Religions that control our entire economic and world systems.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
If your evidence is people like Mr. Olsteen, then the problem is obvious: you are looking at self-help gurus instead of spiritual teachers.

No, this is not really what I'd call concrete evidence, it's just something I had run into on You tube that I thought interesting enough to inject into this thread. While Olsteen may be a self-help whatever, he's using the Bible and Jesus Christ and basically that religion to lead many people. I don't mean to single out Osteen, he's just one I'm familiar with and is a 'Big' Religious leader or many.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Religious people do doubt and criticize their holy texts. Religious people do create new problems and produce new contemplations: how else do you think religion has managed to change over time?

Absolutely. I may start as a minister or other religious leader in my late 20's and by the time I'm 40, everything has changed and naturally religions and their leaders doubt and change but not fundamentally. Now it comes down to OBEDIENCE. It's what you are supposed to do because it's been that way since the world was flat. Smile

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, archaeologists have found that paleolithic man had burial rituals, made idols, and some think certain cave paintings dating from this time have spiritual significance.

Of course. We were so mystified of our own existence back then, a meaning was all one was searching for. Wait a minute... that very same thing has not changed today. Man has still yet to find the meaning of it all.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Why do people think religion is not natural to man? I still do not understand this. There has never been sustained human society without water, and never sustained human society without religion. Some people seem to think that man can carry on without religion: but why on earth do people think this? We may be able to go on without organized religion as we know today, and we might get along with remarkably different types of spiritual practice: but that does not mean that religion is completely out the window. We can replace myths, but they must be replaced with something. Pick and choose your mythology, but I have not seen one good reason as to why man can do without his myths, and man has always invented new myths when the myths of old seem alien and irrelevant.

Religion is natural because it obviously is. Man, in his separation created religions for many reasons including political. But basically to separate themselves from others with a label and an overall philosophy. Religion become political, money making machines and destruct everything in their path in the process. Religions, from the beginning were founded on mythology. Humankind created it all.

Through the ages man has not ceased seeking the unanswered questions. It's what drives us... all on a path to the same place from different and unique locations.

Religions offer a community where they share fellowship and do business with other members and influence the church and local economy and often times much more. They do a lot of good in many cases and I did enjoy church at times myself. But this is not about the Church it's about religion in general.

Religions have changed a lot through the years and so have the myths. What we fail to understand and that we have actually created everything in this world since the beginning of those myths.

If we tell ourselves a lie long enough we'll begin to believe it.
Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:07 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

Religion is natural because it obviously is. Man, in his separation created religions for many reasons including political. But basically to separate themselves from others with a label and an overall philosophy. Religion become political, money making machines and destruct everything in their path in the process. Religions, from the beginning were founded on mythology. Humankind created it all.

Through the ages man has not ceased seeking the unanswered questions. It's what drives us... all on a path to the same place from different and unique locations.

Religions offer a community where they share fellowship and do business with other members and influence the church and local economy and often times much more. They do a lot of good in many cases and I did enjoy church at times myself. But this is not about the Church it's about religion in general.

Religions have changed a lot through the years and so have the myths. What we fail to understand and that we have actually created everything in this world since the beginning of those myths.

If we tell ourselves a lie long enough we'll begin to believe it.

Religion might be manmade.... maybe not. What about the subjects they talk about? "God", "Nirvana", "Reincarnation", etc. Just because Buddha was the first to talk about it, does it mean Buddha made it? What proves he wasn't "divinely inspired"? What proves he was? :detective:
Aedes

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:06 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;53237 wrote:
But religions are almost never wholly subservient to one scriptural source. In Judaism there is the Mishneh, the Gomorrah, the Rashi commentary, the Guide for the Perplexed (Maimonides), the Kaballah, etc. All these things are interpretive and philosophical works that build upon the original scripture. Same with the works of Augustine, Aquinas, the Scholastics, and many others in Christianity, and works by Avicenna and Averroes and many others in Islam.

Hinduism is probably the biggest challenge to the idea that it's documents that differentiate philosophy from religion, because in Hinduism from the Vedic literature to the Upanishads to the Bhagavad Gita you see the entire progression from paganism to oligotheism to abstract pantheism all within one heterogeneous tradition.

Religion is a heterogeneous group of traditional cultural practices that is centered around 1) major life events, 2) morality, and 3) the story of life. If you get too much more specific than that then you cut out things that most would agree are religions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:21 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Justin wrote:
Sure I agree. The sum of what we know to follow. It's all the same thing IMHO.

Then why try to introduce a dichotomy when there is not one to be had?

Justin wrote:
I'm sure there are some religious teachers have good stuff to preach that they believe in. Others have to convince themselves they believe in it as they age and evolve. Still others just lead people on tradition and mythology, influencing and leading them in ways they do not believe.

Sure, but where does this leave us? It seems to me that the sweeping generalizations you made earlier are false according to the above quote.

Justin wrote:
Money is a big part of it. It supports political agendas, wars, large companies and even larger scandals. Religions can be used as form of major money laundering among other things... and have. Religion, while all may not be bad, the majority God is the money.

Money certainly seems to be the God of modern industrialized society: in the past, man's largest monuments were religious, today they are financial. But as I asked earlier, where does this leave us? Sure, we can and should criticize the rampant corruption to be found in religious and all circles. What we can, but should not do, is make generalizations about religion when those generalizations do not hold up. We have a duty to criticize religion when religion is misused, but it seems to me that we have an equally compelling duty to praise religion when it is used properly.

Justin wrote:
I do want to prevent stereotyping so when I refer to Religion I'm referring to the big ones. I'm referring to the major Religions that control our entire economic and world systems.

But no religion or group of religions control our our economic and world systems. That day has passed. Sure, some institutions still wield a great deal of economic power.

As for stereotyping, even if we limited your claims to the major world religions (Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism) we can find plenty of counter-examples in each of these traditions which provide evidence against the accusations you make.

I appreciate your insight on these matters, Justin: you always seem to have a level head about this stuff. But while I share your criticisms of religion in certain contexts, the broad application of these criticisms to religion at large, even the major religions, just does not hold up.

Justin wrote:
No, this is not really what I'd call concrete evidence, it's just something I had run into on You tube that I thought interesting enough to inject into this thread. While Olsteen may be a self-help whatever, he's using the Bible and Jesus Christ and basically that religion to lead many people. I don't mean to single out Osteen, he's just one I'm familiar with and is a 'Big' Religious leader or many.

And he's an impostor. Your criticisms show him to be an impostor and somehow who is, whatever he may be, not a teacher of spirituality but, instead, something closer to a used car salesman.

Justin wrote:
Of course. We were so mystified of our own existence back then, a meaning was all one was searching for. Wait a minute... that very same thing has not changed today. Man has still yet to find the meaning of it all.

Sort of. Man, at least, still struggles with meaning. But you are right: we still struggle to find meaning. Whatever we call our path to meaning, that search is still religious even if all of the old expressions of religion are removed.

Justin wrote:

Right: it's about religion in general, its about all religion. But that's exactly why we cannot make sweeping generalizations like 'its all about the money' and so forth. We have to recognize the nuance.

Victor Eremita wrote:
Before I dig myself into a deep hole from which no man can ever return, when I said "Philosophy" I meant the intellectual thinking that accompanies rational thought in disciplines like philosophy, theology, mathematics, etc.

So, by this usage, to say that it is philosophy which doubts can possibly mean the same thing as it is religion which doubts because the philosophy in question may be inseparable from religion. If i understand you, this clears up a great deal.

Victor Eremita wrote:
They say theology is the study of religion. Religion, then, is the set of maxims to adhere to to become a "follower" of this religion. If you have doubt about the maxim, Become one with the universe, you engage in a theological inquiry about the meaning of this religious maxim.

So, just to be clear, religion can do the doubting, even if the doubt is conducted through the religious philosophy of the agent in question?

Victor Eremita wrote:
The difference is apparent. To use the body example again, the body needs oxygen and food to live. Do you need a book to tell you to do this or does the body "order" you for food (starvation) or oxygen (gasping). For religion, somethings are elementary. Others are guide books, like vitamin supplements or what have you.

So let's get back to the point: does religion take things for granted? Sure, religion can take things for granted, but does religion necessarily take things for granted?

I did not claim that no difference existed between the two sorts of text you mentioned: that was not the issue. The issue was the nature of the difference, which you seemed to have exaggerated.

Victor Eremita wrote:
Religion might be manmade.... maybe not. What about the subjects they talk about? "God", "Nirvana", "Reincarnation", etc. Just because Buddha was the first to talk about it, does it mean Buddha made it? What proves he wasn't "divinely inspired"? What proves he was? :detective:

If you go ask a Buddhist (at least the last time I heard one talk of this matter) they will tell you that the dharma taught by the Buddha is not his invention but eternal. The Buddha was simply the last person in memory to introduce dharma to the world, and when the Buddha and his teachings are forgotten, another will come to teach the dharma.
Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:49 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

So, by this usage, to say that it is philosophy which doubts can possibly mean the same thing as it is religion which doubts because the philosophy in question may be inseparable from religion. If i understand you, this clears up a great deal. So, just to be clear, religion can do the doubting, even if the doubt is conducted through the religious philosophy of the agent in question?

People do the doubting about anything: philosophy, religion, science, etc.

Quote:

So let's get back to the point: does religion take things for granted? Sure, religion can take things for granted, but does religion necessarily take things for granted?

Yes, I think so. What does religion do? Present things as actual. Dharma as you said in the Buddhism example. Christ's resurrection in the New Testament. Muhammed's revelations from God in the Koran. They write these things as fact and they need to do so because it'd kinda suck for them if they themselves introduce doubt about these core beliefs.

Philosophers of Religion don't take these for granted. For example, Feminist philosophers in Islam, doubt the strict reading of the Koran, and it is this sense, that these philosophers try to present Islamic religion in a way that fits Feminism and Islam.

Quote:

If you go ask a Buddhist (at least the last time I heard one talk of this matter) they will tell you that the dharma taught by the Buddha is not his invention but eternal. The Buddha was simply the last person in memory to introduce dharma to the world, and when the Buddha and his teachings are forgotten, another will come to teach the dharma.

Right... so is it a manmade purely conceptual, like Justin suggests, or dharma really exists and religious figures just describe it.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:08 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I just wonder sometimes, if there were ever a time when humans were just content on being, without the curiosity as to why. Maybe there wasn't. I don't know.
0 Replies