What is religion?

Justin

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:40 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Then why try to introduce a dichotomy when there is not one to be had?

But there is one present and it's present all over even though there isn't. Just because I've used words to describe a separation, there is no separation aside from what mankind has created through the ages.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Sure, but where does this leave us? It seems to me that the sweeping generalizations you made earlier are false according to the above quote.

I understand where you are coming from and while I don't mean to make sweeping generalizations I'm flat out against religions. Religions introduce dichotomy and separate one human from another with labels. Separation causes broad and sweeping generalizations from one religion to another. Anything that divides mankind and instigates war is not something I'm going to agree with. While not all religions are bad per se, most religions divide people. Divide and conquer is not what I'd consider good but sadly enough religions do this.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Money certainly seems to be the God of modern industrialized society: in the past, man's largest monuments were religious, today they are financial. But as I asked earlier, where does this leave us? Sure, we can and should criticize the rampant corruption to be found in religious and all circles. What we can, but should not do, is make generalizations about religion when those generalizations do not hold up. We have a duty to criticize religion when religion is misused, but it seems to me that we have an equally compelling duty to praise religion when it is used properly.

When is religion used properly? If religion simply divides mankind into categories of philosophical beliefs and continues to divide them even further as years pass, what good are they doing collectively for the overall consciousness and elevation of humankind? If you join a religion you join a sect or a cult. You are automatically separated from your fellow man because your religion is the right one and damn you if you insult mine. I'll buy that religious people do good deeds however, based on the current state of our world and under the consideration that around 90% of our world is into some sort of religion, what good has religion collectively done? It's funded wars, it's fueled hatred, it's judged and it's left a trail inequality in man and woman.

From where I sit, Religion is no good at all. Not that we can do away with it but from what I've experienced in Christianity and from what I see around the world, Religion and poison have a lot in common.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
As for stereotyping, even if we limited your claims to the major world religions (Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism) we can find plenty of counter-examples in each of these traditions which provide evidence against the accusations you make.

Sure, but let's not forget the state of our world today and the religions that have divided us for centuries. There may be good religions out there that do good things but collectively organized religion is destructive. They may all teach different things all of them have some good in them but collectively, again, they divide and conquer which is not healthy.

All one has to do is take a look at our world from a birds eye view and it's easy to see where religion divides and what role religion plays. Behind the state of our world and the direction it's currently going, is religion and it's not good. We are a bunch of dummies creating the very hell many of us preach against... blindly following BS. Now turn on the television and look at what all these great and influential religions have created.

And before we go there, I realize it's not the religions that do it, it's the people following them in obedience.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I appreciate your insight on these matters, Justin: you always seem to have a level head about this stuff. But while I share your criticisms of religion in certain contexts, the broad application of these criticisms to religion at large, even the major religions, just does not hold up.

And I respect that and thank you. For the record, I'm against ALL religions. Anything that would make one man kill another or one country go to war against another... It becomes difficult to not make broad generalizations about it. I do not like Religion and I do not like ALL Religions and mainly because of what they do collectively. So should I single out a religion that I don't like? With so darn many to choose from that would be difficult. This is where I may be bull headed and it may be something I have to work on but based on what I've seen religion accomplish over the last few hundred years, I say they are all a bunch of hogwash. :bigsmile:

Didymos Thomas wrote:
And he's an impostor. Your criticisms show him to be an impostor and somehow who is, whatever he may be, not a teacher of spirituality but, instead, something closer to a used car salesman.

He's a used car salesman that is influencing a lot of people in America and in other countries as well. He's considered one of the big religious leaders today. It's another form of Christianity.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Sort of. Man, at least, still struggles with meaning. But you are right: we still struggle to find meaning. Whatever we call our path to meaning, that search is still religious even if all of the old expressions of religion are removed.

I don't think it's religious at all. It's spiritual with absolutely no religious overtone whatsoever. Plant the seed of religion and we reap exactly what it's sewn. Again, flip on that television if you want to see what these seeds have produced within our societies.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
So, by this usage, to say that it is philosophy which doubts can possibly mean the same thing as it is religion which doubts because the philosophy in question may be inseparable from religion. If i understand you, this clears up a great deal.

It's about religion, not the people and not the church. If we could create another name for religion it could be division or dichotomy. Religion divides and that's the bottom line. But, religion is just a philosophy of a mass. A philosophy that they are groomed in and often time coerced into. A philosophy that is planted as a seed and is cultivated throughout evolution. So philosophy also divides us as we are divided by our philosophy and for some that philosophy is our religion.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
If you go ask a Buddhist (at least the last time I heard one talk of this matter) they will tell you that the dharma taught by the Buddha is not his invention but eternal. The Buddha was simply the last person in memory to introduce dharma to the world, and when the Buddha and his teachings are forgotten, another will come to teach the dharma.

In Religions, Buddhism is probably the closest to what I'd consider to be on track. Although I would never become a Buddhist because it's still a label of division. Man created all these silly labels to describe history and each others place in it.

If there were a religion that embraced all people and all religions and brought people together into the oneness of light and love, then that would be the start of a good religion. To my knowledge there are none. Christianity has preached this but doesn't practice.

Elmud wrote:
I just wonder sometimes, if there were ever a time when humans were just content on being, without the curiosity as to why. Maybe there wasn't. I don't know.

I don't think so. I think we've been on a journey to discover this but the problem is I think we are seeking answers in things that don't have answers. We are seeking answers out there and always have when the knowledge is universal and omnipresent. We seek where we never find yet the answers we seek have always been with us, in us, a part of us. We'll keep seeking until one day we've destroyed our world and enough people in it realize we've been seeking in places that will never provide answers. We are evolving though and I believe we're awakening.

Hmmm... It's almost as if the still light of all knowledge and all power and all answers and all love and balance are within us but only to the extent of our awareness or awakening of it. It's almost as if genius lies dormant within us and it's the journey of mankind to awaken that inner-self, divine light, God or genius and to discover the we are the creators of all of this. Instead we look, search and try to discover ourselves in things outside of us which don't allow that little light to shine within us. Myself included... as I ramble with random thoughts.

Religion offers an organization where they've each concluded that they have the answers and those answers have been discovered and found when they haven't. Religion and following such a dogma does not awaken the soul, it simply discourages that journey down the rabbit hole because religion has already found it. This is why I say all religions. Religions will be productive when there are none.

Great thread Elmud!
Jay phil

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:26 am
@Justin,
Victor Eremita:
"Kierkegaard spent his life trying to distance authentic religion from money and organized religion (like Christendom)."

Good point Victor, I would like to add:

Though Kierkegaard was a religious writer he spent much of his efforts in his writing trying to address what religion was notc'est bien autre chose!" SK.

Though the world is full of people with the "Christendom" mind set, we are still stuck with the question, what exactly is "Authentic religion"? Or what does Kierkegaard mean by "becoming a Christian"?
Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:51 am
@Dichanthelium,
DT,

I just wanted to note here that I don't think Justin is speaking about religious scriptures, teachings, or inner-workings of belief systems per se, but rather the organizations we call religion (remember we spoke of this before?) that have power (often political) over many. Religion, in the context illustrated here, does separate humanity; it is not just differing belief systems being shared, practiced, and evaluated: There is a pissing contest at hand. The organized religion spoken of here often does not reflect the actual religious teachings practiced -- all the organization becomes is another senseless label promoting war, raping those delusional of their money. On a large scale, what really has organized religion positively influenced?

Once again, it isn't the belief systems being judged here. Many can reap benefits of religious teachings, there's no doubt. But we are speaking of the larger scale - the handlings of the churches that hold political power, the organizations and people that abuse this power. When people feel they have the "right" answers, the ego does everything in it's power to *hold* that monopoly. The people dying because they believe their "God" is 'better', and the governments that allow such actions to continue: These are the people being spoken of here. I've rarely seen a prominent religious leader that promotes peace. Yes, there are some, but from my experience, I've seen the influence negative, war instigated, people suffering.

This is what I feel Justin is speaking of, and this is why I thanked him.

I'd like to comment on this:
Justin wrote:

This is why I say all religions. Religions will be productive when there are none.

The problem isn't religion, but the handlings of religion, the political power many hold. The influence brought over millions, the vicious acts of terrorism being advocated, the thousands of dollars stolen. The religious teachings have little to do with this, and I'm certain that the majority do not speak of such acts. It is the people. We should not discriminate against religion, but rather how it's abused, how it's always been abused. You tell people you know what the meaning of life is, and you have more than half in the palm of your hand. This manipulation has to stop, this is the problem. I personally believe all religions should be stripped of political power. I cannot wait for the day we can all gather as one and discuss different religious teachings without this disgusting guise I see/feel whenever the word "religion" is spoken. When it doesn't separate us, when we can share peacefully, and not be influenced by our tradition to discriminate (This is why I love this forum so!). Justin, I know what has led you here: It's that feeling, it really is sick: Turning on your television and seeing all of this, all of this needless bloodshed. But we must remember, it is us, not the teachings. If we discriminate against religion in general, we are only adding to the problem.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 01:09 am
@Jay phil,
Jay wrote:
Victor Eremita:
"Kierkegaard spent his life trying to distance authentic religion from money and organized religion (like Christendom)."

Good point Victor, I would like to add:

Though Kierkegaard was a religious writer he spent much of his efforts in his writing trying to address what religion was notc'est bien autre chose!" SK.

Though the world is full of people with the "Christendom" mind set, we are still stuck with the question, what exactly is "Authentic religion"? Or what does Kierkegaard mean by "becoming a Christian"?

Kierkegaard was skeptical of organized religion precisely of the political and economic stranglehold on society. And that organized religion tries to erase the terrible aspects of religion and emphasize the cozy, cheerful, communal, "easy" side of religion in order to attract more members.

Becoming a Christian is to realize that Christianity is offensive to intellect and reason. One cannot blindly accept it or make it so that Christianity is declawed and entirely reasonable and "easy". If Christianity was entirely reasonable, every rational person should be Christian, and when everyone's a Christian, no one is a Christian.

Once that is realized, becoming Christian is easier said than done: "What is Christianity? Simple. To be like Christ."
Jay phil

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:20 am
@Victor Eremita,
So, I think we could safely say that Kierkegaard would not of approved of Ann Coulters "fast track" theory of Christianity.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:29 pm
@Jay phil,
Victor Eremita wrote:

Yes, I think so. What does religion do? Present things as actual. Dharma as you said in the Buddhism example. Christ's resurrection in the New Testament. Muhammed's revelations from God in the Koran. They write these things as fact and they need to do so because it'd kinda suck for them if they themselves introduce doubt about these core beliefs.

Then how do you explain the fact that religion does introduce doubt about these core beliefs?

You claim that religion necessarily takes things for granted. But this is demonstrably false. We find religious teaching that suggests practitioners take nothing for granted.

Victor Eremita wrote:
Philosophers of Religion don't take these for granted. For example, Feminist philosophers in Islam, doubt the strict reading of the Koran, and it is this sense, that these philosophers try to present Islamic religion in a way that fits Feminism and Islam.

Then why claim that religion necessarily takes thing for granted if you admit that the claim is false? There are many cases in which the philosopher of religion is also a teacher of spirituality.

Justin wrote:
But there is one present and it's present all over even though there isn't. Just because I've used words to describe a separation, there is no separation aside from what mankind has created through the ages.

So there is both a distinction and not a distinction?

You said:
Philosophy = The sum of what we know. Religion = the sum of what someone else knows.

And you then go on to agree with me that this claim cannot be true if religion is a philosophy. I really do not see the logic here, Justin.

Justin wrote:
I understand where you are coming from and while I don't mean to make sweeping generalizations I'm flat out against religions. Religions introduce dichotomy and separate one human from another with labels. Separation causes broad and sweeping generalizations from one religion to another. Anything that divides mankind and instigates war is not something I'm going to agree with. While not all religions are bad per se, most religions divide people. Divide and conquer is not what I'd consider good but sadly enough religions do this.

That's fine if you are flat out against religion. I'm not interested in arguing that - it's your business, bless you on your path.

And while you do not mean to make sweeping generalizations, you do make sweeping generalizations: what's worse is that those sweeping generalizations are false.

Let's look at the newest sweeping generalization in the above quote: religions introduce dichotomy that separate human beings. Yes, religions do this. The problem is that religion does not necessarily do this. Often, religions do the exact opposite. Islam united the deeply divided people of Arabia and ended an era of unimaginable bloodshed in that region. Christianity united the poor and slave populations of the crumbling Roman empire. Buddhism, throughout it's worldwide spread, has joined, hand in hand, with other faiths: Zen Buddhism being the classic example here, a fusion of Taoism and Buddhism.

Yes, religion can be used to divide and abused by leaders when they call for war in the name of religion. But the mere existence of religion does not necessarily lead to these things: the mere existence of human greed leads to these things. Human greed is not religion, but the opposite thereof.

Justin wrote:
When is religion used properly?

How many examples do you want to hear? I'll begin with one, and if you need more I'll provide. Let us turn our attention to Tibet prior to the communist invasion. This was a warlike nation that, at one time, conquered China. After Buddhism was introduced, this military powerhouse demilitarized: completely demilitarized. While the west was busy inventing outward technology to make war increasingly brutal and violent, the Tibetans were busy inventing inward technology, practices for the promotion of peace and learning. This was a nation that, instead of conscripting hundreds of thousands of young men for military service, took the oldest son of each family into the monastery. Instead of raising their young for death and destruction, the Tibetans raised their young for peace and compassion.

Justin wrote:
If religion simply divides mankind into categories of philosophical beliefs and continues to divide them even further as years pass, what good are they doing collectively for the overall consciousness and elevation of humankind?

If religion did only what you say here, then I'd agree with you. But you're wrong, friend. See my arguments above.

Now, let's apply this to some other fields of study. Take your Walter Russell: this is a man who's science contradicts a great deal of mainstream science. His voice divides man into different categories of philosophical belief, just as David Hume, Immanuel Kant, Rene Descartes and every other philosopher has done.

But you already know the response: some of these people, in the face of disagreement, taught peace and love for others despite potential disagreement. Just like your Walter Russell. Similarly, religious teachers throughout history have done the same thing: they have taught that we should love our neighbor, cultivate compassion for all sentient beings, and so forth, all despite potential philosophical and theological disagreements. Why? Because those disagreements are almost irrelevant: what really matters is love.

Justin wrote:
If you join a religion you join a sect or a cult. You are automatically separated from your fellow man because your religion is the right one and damn you if you insult mine.

Now that's not true, Justin. Take a look at the Bahai faith for an example. Buddhism teaches the same thing, as do many Christian and Hindu sects and teachers. Instead of separation, these faith traditions preach unity of man under brotherly love. Being a member of this or that religion does not necessarily separate people.

There is a great book by the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hahn. In his book Living Buddha, Living Christ Thay (as he is called by his students) tells of his visit to Italy where he participated in communion with Catholics. He said the experience was wonderful and enlightening. Instead of the difference in religion separating Thay from his Catholic friends, the difference brought them together.

Justin wrote:
I'll buy that religious people do good deeds however, based on the current state of our world and under the consideration that around 90% of our world is into some sort of religion, what good has religion collectively done? It's funded wars, it's fueled hatred, it's judged and it's left a trail inequality in man and woman.

Yes, terrible things have been done in the name of religion. But let's think about this: are these attrocities the result of religion or the result of human greed?

Justin wrote:
Sure, but let's not forget the state of our world today and the religions that have divided us for centuries. There may be good religions out there that do good things but collectively organized religion is destructive. They may all teach different things all of them have some good in them but collectively, again, they divide and conquer which is not healthy.

You say collectively organized religion is necessarily destructive: that's a difficult claim to maintain in the face of the Tibetan history I provide above.

Justin wrote:
And before we go there, I realize it's not the religions that do it, it's the people following them in obedience.

Let us ask: what is it to be obediant to your religion? Is it A: following the mandates of leaders unquestioningly, even when they compell their followers to war, or is it B: standing up against those corrupt leaders based on teachings like "Love thy neighbor"? The correct answer seems to me to be B rather than A. It seems to me that A is an example of being disobedient to religious teaching.

Justin wrote:
He's a used car salesman that is influencing a lot of people in America and in other countries as well. He's considered one of the big religious leaders today. It's another form of Christianity.

It is something called Christianity, and falls under that blanket term which includes a great many strange cults. But is his teaching true to the teaching of Jesus? I do not see how. Instead, he seems to be another purveyor of spiritual materialism: which is not spirituality and therefore not truely Christian, but only nominally Christian. There is a big difference.

Justin wrote:
I don't think it's religious at all. It's spiritual with absolutely no religious overtone whatsoever. Plant the seed of religion and we reap exactly what it's sewn. Again, flip on that television if you want to see what these seeds have produced within our societies.

This is a disagreement over definition: but an important one.

Religion is simply what man practices to fulfill his spiritual needs. Religion does not have to be an organized institution.

Justin wrote:
In Religions, Buddhism is probably the closest to what I'd consider to be on track. Although I would never become a Buddhist because it's still a label of division. Man created all these silly labels to describe history and each others place in it.

Even Nietzsche claimed that Buddhism was the most reasonable of religions.

Justin wrote:
If there were a religion that embraced all people and all religions and brought people together into the oneness of light and love, then that would be the start of a good religion. To my knowledge there are none. Christianity has preached this but doesn't practice.

Bahai. Buddhism. Zen. You also find the same teaching in Islam, Christianity, and so forth. You claim that Christianity teaches but does not practice this: another sweeping, and false, generalization. No, not all Christians practice this, but some Christians do practice this.

Zetherin wrote:
DT,

I just wanted to note here that I don't think Justin is speaking about religious scriptures, teachings, or inner-workings of belief systems per se, but rather the organizations we call religion (remember we spoke of this before?) that have power (often political) over many. Religion, in the context illustrated here, does separate humanity; it is not just differing belief systems being shared, practiced, and evaluated: There is a pissing contest at hand. The organized religion spoken of here often does not reflect the actual religious teachings practiced -- all the organization becomes is another senseless label promoting war, raping those delusional of their money. On a large scale, what really has organized religion positively influenced?

Again, I point toward Buddhism as a great example, especially the effect on Tibet.

No matter if Justin is limiting his use of religion to large institutional religion: the sweeping generalizations are still false.

Zetherin wrote:
Once again, it isn't the belief systems being judged here. Many can reap benefits of religious teachings, there's no doubt. But we are speaking of the larger scale - the handlings of the churches that hold political power, the organizations and people that abuse this power. When people feel they have the "right" answers, the ego does everything in it's power to *hold* that monopoly. The people dying because they believe their "God" is 'better', and the governments that allow such actions to continue: These are the people being spoken of here. I've rarely seen a prominent religious leader that promotes peace. Yes, there are some, but from my experience, I've seen the influence negative, war instigated, people suffering.

Perhaps the promotion of peace is rare among prominent religious leaders (this claim is also false as we can list them by the tens of thousands), but the fact that some promote peace disproves the sweeping generalizations being made.

It is much easier to embrace sweeping generalizations than to dig in and find the nuance. But in the nuance rests the truth. I thought this was a philosophy forum.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:39 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
It is much easier to embrace sweeping generalizations than to dig in and find the nuance. But in the nuance rests the truth. I thought this was a philosophy forum.
The sweeping generalizations are incorrect. There is no contesting this: All of religion does not fit into what has been said.

However, I believe the portions of religious institutions that do think/believe in this manner have tremendous amount of power (usually politically). So, while it's not all of religion, I think it's one of those cases where a "leader speaks for his people". Thus we see religion misinterpreted, because those that don't delve into the nuances know no better. Can you blame them?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Yes, you can blame them.

I'm on the front line anytime something terrible is done in the name of religion. You will not find me defending any religious institution which uses it's influence to promote suffering. Yet I manage to recognize that, not only are these sweeping generalizations false, but the sweeping generalizations are harmful because they slander and marginalize religious practitioners.

How do you think we ended up with Christian fundamentalism? Scientists and higher criticism figures mocked and slandered certain poorly educated religious people, which marginalized those populations. If Christian fundamentalism worries you, then you should refrain from the practices that created that movement.

When I was young I made many of the same sweeping generalizations, slandered and mocked religion. But I'm not 14 anymore, and neither is Justin. I am fully confident in his ability to understand these things even if he is against all religion. I have no problem with his aversion to all religion, it's his business. But I do have a problem with his practice of slandering and marginalizing religious people: it's harmful.

Justin sights the division religion sometimes creates between man. Yet, here he is perpetuating those divisions by his sweeping generalizations. If he is concerned with uniting mankind rather than dividing mankind, and I believe he is interested in that effort, then he should rethink his manner of criticizing religion.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:38 pm
@Dichanthelium,
I agree wholeheartedly, as I noted here:

Zetherin wrote:

But we must remember, it is us, not the teachings. If we discriminate against religion in general, we are only adding to the problem.

However, instead of outwardly blaming those that don't understand, we should try to peacefully enlighten. I understand your frustration, but we would only be adding to the problem, just as much as one that misinterpreted religion, if we're not careful. The man is angry that the other man misunderstands, the other man misunderstands because the man is angry. It's tough to know the right way to go.

EDIT: I wasn't implying you were being outwardly mean or anything: I understand you just wanted to point out the fallacy.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Then how do you explain the fact that religion does introduce doubt about these core beliefs?

The religion itself cannot introduce doubt about these core beliefs. Other religion and other people can for sure.
Quote:

You claim that religion necessarily takes things for granted. But this is demonstrably false. We find religious teaching that suggests practitioners take nothing for granted.
Then why claim that religion necessarily takes thing for granted if you admit that the claim is false? There are many cases in which the philosopher of religion is also a teacher of spirituality.

What makes religion "Religion" is simply that it takes its account as factual, unlike philosophy which suggests hypothetical situations. Take Scientology: A History of Man, by L. Ron Hubbard, with its aliens and thetans and dianetic fields, etc. etc. Of course people external to the religion are going to doubt it and even ridicule it. But the important thing is that Scientology itself takes that account of the "history of man" as granted and creates a core belief structure around it. Even if other Scientologists critize some aspects of original Hubbardian scientology, they are still taking some basic beliefs as granted in order to create their own version of Scientology. (Cruisean Scientology LOL:bigsmile:)

If they doubted all core beliefs, it wouldn't be that religion anymore. If they got rid of dianetic fields, thetans, aliens visiting Earth, etc. It wouldn't be Scientology anymore. In every religion, some things must necessarily be taken for granted.

Quote:

So, I think we could safely say that Kierkegaard would not of approved of Ann Coulters "fast track" theory of Christianity.

Without a doubt
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:18 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
The religion itself cannot introduce doubt about these core beliefs. Other religion and other people can for sure.

Again, this claim is demonstrably false. The religion itself can introduce doubt about said religion's core beliefs. Look at the teachings of the Buddha:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

In other words, check up on everything for yourself. You find that phrase "check up for yourself" throughout the teachings of Lama Yeshe.

Victor Eremita wrote:
What makes religion "Religion" is simply that it takes its account as factual, unlike philosophy which suggests hypothetical situations.

Again, this is a false claim. Religion can, but does not necessarily take all accounts as factual. This is true of almost every religion. A Christian might deny that Genesis is a factual account of creation. Just look at Christian evolutionary scientists.

Victor Eremita wrote:
Take Scientology: A History of Man, by L. Ron Hubbard, with its aliens and thetans and dianetic fields, etc. etc. Of course people external to the religion are going to doubt it and even ridicule it. But the important thing is that Scientology itself takes that account of the "history of man" as granted and creates a core belief structure around it. Even if other Scientologists critize some aspects of original Hubbardian scientology, they are still taking some basic beliefs as granted in order to create their own version of Scientology. (Cruisean Scientology LOL:bigsmile:)

You'll have to excuse me if I do not take the Scientology example as compelling. At best, you've given an instance when religion does take all of it's stories as factually true. But this example in no way proves that religion must take all stories as factually true.

Victor Eremita wrote:
If they doubted all core beliefs, it wouldn't be that religion anymore. If they got rid of dianetic fields, thetans, aliens visiting Earth, etc. It wouldn't be Scientology anymore. In every religion, some things must necessarily be taken for granted.

I do not know enough about Scientology to make a comment. However, I do know enough about certain other traditions to know that doubting core beliefs is sometimes taught by the religion, the great example being the teachings of the Buddha.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:44 am
@Dichanthelium,
Quote:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

If a core belief is to doubt a core belief, and you actually do so, then the belief (of doubting) is being maintained. (e.g. you're not doubting the "doubting" belief)
Anyways, I think this more the exception then the rule; all religions have positive statements, even Buddhism has positive declarations like the Dharma example.
Quote:

in no way proves that religion must take all stories as factually true.

I did not say that, I just said that religion must take at least SOME things as factually true, as necessary and granted. In order to even be called "Christian" scientists, there must be something about "Christianity" that's undoubtable and necessary; maybe not Genesis, but definitely something else.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 06:19 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
...Religion is a heterogeneous group of traditional cultural practices that is centered around 1) major life events, 2) morality, and 3) the story of life. If you get too much more specific than that then you cut out things that most would agree are religions.

Thank you Aedes! I was away for a few days and, now, reading this thread, I am absolutely astonished to find that such scant attention has been paid to the question posed.

I have to admire DT's rigorous refutations of claims made here that are based on false presuppositions about religion and logical errors--the most prominent one being mistaking particular and culpable cases of religion (or other phenomena merely posing as religion) for religion itself. But I don't think we would be putting him to so much work if we would all disclose our answers to the question, "What is religion?"

If we would offer our respective definitions, then our presuppositions would would begin to be revealed, and the various definitions could then be analyzed.

I think Aedes is offering an excellent one, and that the concept of "cultural practices" is a key concept. I also think that he points to an essential distinction (one that DT has repeatedly labored to highlight) that we can't do this kind of analysis without noticing when we are talking about the specific and when we are talking about the general.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:06 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

Great thread Elmud!

Yeah. i think Decanths thread is a good one too.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:20 pm
@Justin,
Maybe religion is curiosity and wonder. I'm thinking of the cave man and woman sitting outside at night and looking at the stars and wondering how and why. Other animals aren't concerned with this. Just humans. Other animals aren't concerned with their own mortality. Just humans. What is religion? Maybe not much more than the curiosity and wonder of the how and why of things. If that is what it is, then i would agree with Didymos. It is a natural thing.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:15 pm
@Dichanthelium,
What is Religion? It's partly a way of life or outlook on life and it's partly a dogma.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:27 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
If a core belief is to doubt a core belief, and you actually do so, then the belief (of doubting) is being maintained. (e.g. you're not doubting the "doubting" belief)
Anyways, I think this more the exception then the rule; all religions have positive statements, even Buddhism has positive declarations like the Dharma example.

Talk about semantic wrangling! You claimed that religion cannot introduce doubt about core beliefs, and then when I give an example of a religion introducing doubts about core beliefs you argue that the doubting is then a core belief and therefore not tantamount to actual doubting.

If the Buddha says "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Then we have a clear example of religion introducing doubt about core beliefs. Bottom line.

You example of dharma does not work either, because the Buddha clearly teaches to doubt even dharma. A religion can make positive declarations and simultaneously introduce doubt about those core beliefs.

Victor Eremita wrote:
I did not say that, I just said that religion must take at least SOME things as factually true, as necessary and granted. In order to even be called "Christian" scientists, there must be something about "Christianity" that's undoubtable and necessary; maybe not Genesis, but definitely something else.

Actually, in the quote you did not say "some", but that's a quibble.

You say that to be a Christian there must be something undoubtable. Well, like what? I cannot imagine something that is necessarily beyond doubt for the Christian. There are many things that are typically beyond doubt for the Christian, but necessarily beyond doubt is quite another matter.

Victor Eremita wrote:
What is Religion? It's partly a way of life or outlook on life and it's partly a dogma.

Religion is certainly a way of life, that seems true. Probably even some sort of outlook on life. But the dogma stipulation, while typically the case, does not seem necessary.

When we set out to define something, including religion, we have to formulate a definition that is broad enough to include all varieties of that something yet narrow enough to eliminate everything that is not that something.

The inclusion of dogma, though it may apply to most instances, does not seem to apply to all instances of religion. Though, this also depends on how we use the word dogma: if it is an authoritative dictum, then dogma is not necessary for religion; if dogma is something that seems to be true, then I cannot imagine religion not having dogma.
Kolbe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Haha, I remember my first idea of what religion could be. Year 4 was spent going around the playground telling the fellow children that the bible was written by a group of men who just wanted to make some money. Needless to say, the teachers at St. Joseph's Catholic School didn't like it much. Ahh, good times.

Anyway what I think religion could have been back when it was formed, and I'm not sure if I've written it here before or elsewhere, is as a means of control. These were the times where a criminal, if careful, could get away with nearly anything. There were no fingerprint tests, no DNA analysis, simply physical things on a large scale i.e. scraps of clothing etc. What better way to keep the masses under control than an all-powerful being? The idea of God could have been invented as some sort of omniscient system of Law and Order, with the tales of creation and the flood woven around it. Think about it. If you were of criminally-inclined moral status and could easily get away with something, you would do it, would you not? Now factor in the idea of a God who sees everything that you do and judges you inevitably for it at the end of your life, of which there is no escape. Frankly, you'd be sh*tting yourself. By introducing the pillar of smoke in a tent or other such methods the tribes of Israel were kept in line. Just an idea, but an idea nonetheless.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Talk about semantic wrangling! You claimed that religion cannot introduce doubt about core beliefs, and then when I give an example of a religion introducing doubts about core beliefs you argue that the doubting is then a core belief and therefore not tantamount to actual doubting.

If the Buddha says "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." Then we have a clear example of religion introducing doubt about core beliefs. Bottom line.

You example of dharma does not work either, because the Buddha clearly teaches to doubt even dharma. A religion can make positive declarations and simultaneously introduce doubt about those core beliefs.

:bigsmile: ha!

Quote:

You say that to be a Christian there must be something undoubtable. Well, like what? I cannot imagine something that is necessarily beyond doubt for the Christian. There are many things that are typically beyond doubt for the Christian, but necessarily beyond doubt is quite another matter.

Religion is certainly a way of life, that seems true. Probably even some sort of outlook on life. But the dogma stipulation, while typically the case, does not seem necessary.

When we set out to define something, including religion, we have to formulate a definition that is broad enough to include all varieties of that something yet narrow enough to eliminate everything that is not that something.

The inclusion of dogma, though it may apply to most instances, does not seem to apply to all instances of religion. Though, this also depends on how we use the word dogma: if it is an authoritative dictum, then dogma is not necessary for religion; if dogma is something that seems to be true, then I cannot imagine religion not having dogma.

Yeah, maybe it's just my study of Western religion that makes me say that religion must include dogma; that religion must necessarily include an undoubtable concept.

These are the definitions of dogma I'm operating with:
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner
2. a settled or established opinion, belief, or principle ( something held as an established opinion ).
3. established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from.

So established opinion or belief: the Christians opinion that Jesus is a God-man, the Muslim's opinion of Allah as one, the Buddhist's opinion of Reincarnation, the Jewish opinon of Zion, the Taoist opinion of YinYang etc; are established opinions of beliefs: a religious text would include such and such established opinion and would not normally doubt these opinions.
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:59 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Maybe religion is curiosity and wonder. ... If that is what it is, then i would agree with Didymos. It is a natural thing.

I think you are onto something, but I would suggest that, although curiosity and wonder may have given rise to various religions and may be elements of religion, religion itself seems to include much more than that. It seems to always include beliefs and practices, for example. I'm thinking that, in some cases, it may not be different from culture.
0 Replies