Arguments for and against the belief in God

Rwa001

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:01 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139850 wrote:
Remember God has given each of us a free will without any reservation. You could take a gun and kill me and god will not intervene. If he did intervene, just for me, he being totally fair and just must do the same for everyone else, don't you think ?

I appreciate the free will, but that doesn't eliminate the shift of accountability one assumes when they accept the word of God. Why shouldn't one commit adultery? Why shouldn't one be envious? When one chooses not to be envious, have the considered why it might be morally regrettable to be envious? Or are they merely interested in the end result of heaven?

How many of the ardent religious right have considered the moral underpinning of gay marriage or relations? It's just easier to say the good book forbids it then to use reason to arrive at your own conclusion.
wayne

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:17 am
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;139884 wrote:
I appreciate the free will, but that doesn't eliminate the shift of accountability one assumes when they accept the word of God. Why shouldn't one commit adultery? Why shouldn't one be envious? When one chooses not to be envious, have the considered why it might be morally regrettable to be envious? Or are they merely interested in the end result of heaven?

How many of the ardent religious right have considered the moral underpinning of gay marriage or relations? It's just easier to say the good book forbids it then to use reason to arrive at your own conclusion.

You are arguing against fundamentalism, not all believers in god are fundamentalist.
If god gave me life ,It's mine. But don't I have an obligation to use it faithfully, unselfishly? Sure I'm gonna make mistakes, that comes with free will.
I think we all have a moral compass, but shouldn't that compass point to something outside ourselves? :a-thought:
Rwa001

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:35 am
@wayne,
wayne;139894 wrote:
You are arguing against fundamentalism, not all believers in god are fundamentalist.
If god gave me life ,It's mine. But don't I have an obligation to use it faithfully, unselfishly? Sure I'm gonna make mistakes, that comes with free will.
I think we all have a moral compass, but shouldn't that compass point to something outside ourselves? :a-thought:

It's not just fundamentalists though; if you're submitting yourself to an authority or judge, then you're imposing an external constraint on yourself. I think most religious people are good people. But why are they good? And by what standard of good? When you're religious, the answers to these questions (specifically the second) are impacted by your religious beliefs.

And no, I don't think that compass should point to something outside ourselves. We should all develop our morality internally and rationally. That's part of human development. If one defers even a part of that to religion or society, then they're missing out.
wayne

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:58 pm
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;139901 wrote:
It's not just fundamentalists though; if you're submitting yourself to an authority or judge, then you're imposing an external constraint on yourself. I think most religious people are good people. But why are they good? And by what standard of good? When you're religious, the answers to these questions (specifically the second) are impacted by your religious beliefs.

And no, I don't think that compass should point to something outside ourselves. We should all develop our morality internally and rationally. That's part of human development. If one defers even a part of that to religion or society, then they're missing out.

Yes ,this is true,but I am not talking about religion. I am trying to express personal spirituality. A personal belief in god leaves plenty of room for finding my own moral values, it is only when we bring religious dogma into the equation that the problem exists.
Let's let God out of the box

---------- Post added 03-16-2010 at 01:00 AM ----------

All that god asks of me is that I enjoy his creation.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:11 am
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;139901 wrote:

I think our lives would be meaningless unless we are accountable to someone for the gift it. I know we are accountable to country family and friends but in my opinion the ultimate accountability must be God..

Otherwise a monster like Hitler gets the same outcome for his depraved reprobate life than my sweet god fearing parents
Rwa001

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:36 am
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
Yes ,this is true,but I am not talking about religion. I am trying to express personal spirituality. A personal belief in god leaves plenty of room for finding my own moral values, it is only when we bring religious dogma into the equation that the problem exists.
Let's let God out of the box

Personal spirituality is fine. I don't even take issue with people thinking there is 'more out there' or even a prime mover. It's when you allow someone else to be your judge rather than yourself, that's when there is a problem. Which brings me to:

Quote:
I think our lives would be meaningless unless we are accountable to someone for the gift it. I know we are accountable to country family and friends but in my opinion the ultimate accountability must be God..

Otherwise a monster like Hitler gets the same outcome for his depraved reprobate life than my sweet god fearing parents

I think this post expresses my point in its own way. You think your life would be meaningless without this false sense of accountability, and you need God to make you feel better about the nature of the world and the state of justice. I don't need these things. My life isn't meaningless because I hold myself responsible for being useful in this world. And I'm ok if it turns out that my incredible Great-Grandfather and Hitler got the same outcome.

It's sorting these problems out for ourselves that is the meaning of life. Pretending the world is better than it is, or that a much better world exists after, is just a cop out. It's choosing to skip major issues. How can that really be beneficial?
wayne

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:07 am
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;140472 wrote:
Personal spirituality is fine. I don't even take issue with people thinking there is 'more out there' or even a prime mover. It's when you allow someone else to be your judge rather than yourself, that's when there is a problem. Which brings me to:

I think this post expresses my point in its own way. You think your life would be meaningless without this false sense of accountability, and you need God to make you feel better about the nature of the world and the state of justice. I don't need these things. My life isn't meaningless because I hold myself responsible for being useful in this world. And I'm ok if it turns out that my incredible Great-Grandfather and Hitler got the same outcome.

It's sorting these problems out for ourselves that is the meaning of life. Pretending the world is better than it is, or that a much better world exists after, is just a cop out. It's choosing to skip major issues. How can that really be beneficial?

You sound a little like my dad, thats a good thing.
He had a Live and let live approach to it all. I think I do need a bit of a security blanket, or maybe just something to bounce my ideas off of , thus I seek out a personal creator, but I hope I've grown beyond the need to allay my insecurities by forcing my belief onto someone else
I know that happens a lot, I've done it myself, when I was smaller.
That is ,after all, what it's all about, solving these problems for ourselves.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:12 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;138443 wrote:
I think you're incorrect. Or, alternatively, not correct. Or, not right. Or, what you s ay is false.

:perplexed: What is the difference between in-correct and not-correct.
Not Right could be left...

I never re-port but to say some-one is false is not very polite.

PSH:poke-eye:
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:54 am
@Owen phil,
Owen;139561 wrote:
100% gibberish!

Why do you believe there is an answer?
Why do you believe that the answer is inside yourself?
Where is right behind your consciousness?

"Hint. God is literally right behind your consciousness."

How can you possibly know these things?

There are no truths about God at all.

Please show any confirmed truth about your god.

If there is no confirmed truth about your god, then we have proof that your god does not exist.

Bull....crappiee, you sound like a lawyer[ no offense] just because I can't prove you took the cake doesn't mean you didn't do it, if you did.
If I fail the truth the truth doesn't fail
Your arguement is valid in human law and necessary to protect the innocent, but the leap of faith is an ihescapable fact of the entire god concept.
Thats really the only question there is,,, can I should I would I ,make that leap.
0 Replies

Eljah

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:44 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Arguments for the Existence of God

1) Ontological -

P1. God is, by definition, the greatest being conceivable.
P2. God exists in the mind.
P3. To exist in reality and in the mind is greater than to exist in the mind alone.
C: Therefor God must exist in reality as well as the mind; if God did not, then God would not be the greatest being conceivable.

2) Moral -

P1. If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.
P2. Objective moral values exist.
C: Therefor God exists.

3) Teleological (Design) -

P1. X is too complex, orderly, adaptive, apparently purposeful or beautiful to have occurred randomly or accidentally.
C1: Therefor, X must have been created by a sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
P2. God is a sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
C2: Therefor, God exists.

4) Cosmological (Kalaam) -

P1. Everything that "begins" to exist has a cause.
P2. The universe began to exist.
C1: Therefore, the universe must have a cause.

5) Contingency -

"Holds that God is the best explanation of why anything at all exists, rather than nothing."

6) Personal Experience -
xris

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:04 am
@Eljah,
Elija was he not the prophet who got his bears to kill and eat the cheeky children?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:56 am
@Eljah,
Eljah;148905 wrote:
Arguments for the Existence of God

1) Ontological -

P1. God is, by definition, the greatest being conceivable.
P2. God exists in the mind.
P3. To exist in reality and in the mind is greater than to exist in the mind alone.
C: Therefor God must exist in reality as well as the mind; if God did not, then God would not be the greatest being conceivable.

1 is a fallacy. You have not shown at all that a god exists in reality. You can't make a claim and call it a truth without verifying it. So this argument fails.

Eljah;148905 wrote:

2) Moral -

P1. If God does not exist, objective moral values do not exist.
P2. Objective moral values exist.
C: Therefor God exists.

Objective moral values do NOT exist. Argument 2 is a fallacy.

Eljah;148905 wrote:

3) Teleological (Design) -

P1. X is too complex, orderly, adaptive, apparently purposeful or beautiful to have occurred randomly or accidentally.
C1: Therefor, X must have been created by a sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
P2. God is a sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
C2: Therefor, God exists.

Argument 3 is a fallacy. You can not presuppose that by having a subjective view of the universe that it is in some way designed to be that way.

Eljah;148905 wrote:

4) Cosmological (Kalaam) -

P1. Everything that "begins" to exist has a cause.
P2. The universe began to exist.
C1: Therefore, the universe must have a cause.

This has been refuted on many occasions. Argument 2 of 4 is a fallacy. You can't make this claim.

Eljah;148905 wrote:

5) Contingency -

"Holds that God is the best explanation of why anything at all exists, rather than nothing."

It is not even an explanation at all. Why not say Zeus did it all? How do you know it wasn't the flying pink elephant that made everything?

Eljah;148905 wrote:

6) Personal Experience -

This can be attributed to misinterpreted experience. Irrational understanding. Just like the above arguments are fallacies. You jump to conclusions without any valid evidence and bent reasoning.
Diogenes phil

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:41 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Basically, if you're an Atheist:

Some one stabbing you in the genitals condemns them to eternal damnation.

But if you're a Christian:

Stabbing someone in the genitals condemns you to eternal damnation.

(Presupposing that one is Atheist and the other is Christian).
0 Replies

CharmingPhlsphr

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:10 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;149187 wrote:
1 is a fallacy. You have not shown at all that a god exists in reality. You can't make a claim and call it a truth without verifying it. So this argument fails.

The point of Anselm's ontological argument is that God's existence is self-evident by the ability to even consider God as that-than-which-nothing-greater-could-be-considered. When one considers that-than-which-nothing-greater-could-be-considered as actually being that-than-which-something-greater-could-be-considered, they are not considering the true God of existence, who is that-than-which-nothing-greater-could-be-considered. A common argument against this is not necessarily that it is just wrong because it is wrong and unvalidated, but rather issues with other potential considerations, such as the most perfect island one could consider or the most perfect whatever. Augustine argued in the City of God that our ability to perceive what is good or perfect derives from the original standard of perfect (God), because it could not be perceived without understanding, first, what makes a truly good thing good; this is an important addition because we then conclude that our considerations of the most perfect islands and whatnot are derived from our understanding of perfection from the standard of perfection (God).

Krumple;149187 wrote:

You are only making a blanket assertion without reflecting reality. Truthfully, there are standards which transcend generational and cultural boundaries. In my studies, I have not found one society or culture, wherein it is morally acceptable to murder or steal from another member of said society or culture (one could argue abortion, however). Again, referring back to Augustine in City of God, a thief will take measures to prevent himself from being robbed. All in all, though, this is not necessarily the point of the argument from morality.

If we consider morality, it is in sharp contrast to human nature, which is primarily selfish and instinctual (redundant, I know, for instinct is inherently selfish). The position of the theist and, more so, the Christian is that the chasm between morality and instinct is so infinitely vast that man could not have crossed by his own means, for the moral act suffers from the instinctual need to do for oneself. One could argue as Nietzsche did in The Gay Science that the act is based on an incredible desire for possession, fueled by avarice and lust. We argue, though, that this boundary can only be established by the very Creator of our existence, because, with man, this is impossible.

Krumple;149187 wrote:
Argument 3 is a fallacy. You can not presuppose that by having a subjective view of the universe that it is in some way designed to be that way.

I do not have anything of importance to say about this. "Beautiful" is certainly subjective and we can only perceive that it is purposeful. We must either take these things as an expression of faith or become offended in the notion that it is beautiful and purposeful.

Krumple;149187 wrote:
This has been refuted on many occasions. Argument 2 of 4 is a fallacy. You can't make this claim.

The amount of refutations is irrelevant if they are in error and you, so far, gave nothing to support "this has been refuted on many occasions." They certainly can claim that and be quite sound. I am reminded of Hawking's classic text, A Brief History of Time, wherein he wrote of the discovery of a universe which is not static, but expanding from a singularity and how this left many scientists in a panic to shut the door on the possibility of the existence of a Creator. While the Cosmological Argument is not a sustainable argument on its own, it compliments the whole nicely.

A far more sustainable version of this argument is the argument from motion. Using Aristotelian logic, Aquinas wrote of this very argument from motion, writing that if the universe's cause was caused by another and regressing infinitely, there would only exist intermediate movers who were moved by another and, thus, nothing would be first moved and, consequently, nothing would be moved at all.

Krumple;149187 wrote:
It is not even an explanation at all. Why not say Zeus did it all? How do you know it wasn't the flying pink elephant that made everything?

Nonsense aside (i.e. pink elephant), it is not necessarily wrong to assess that a Creator's existence is the best explanation, but this alone does nothing to support specifically.

Krumple;149187 wrote:
This can be attributed to misinterpreted experience. Irrational understanding. Just like the above arguments are fallacies. You jump to conclusions without any valid evidence and bent reasoning.

Personal experience is not necessarily "misinterpreted experience" or "irrational understanding." My call to come to Christ Jesus is unintelligible to you because you cannot first get past your own presuppositions; this is, ultimately, the substance of faith. In regards to Christianity, each individual is revealed, individually, as to the existence of God and the necessity of faith in Christ. We believe, not because we are reasoned into the faith, as it were, through man, but because we are given faith by God. Referring back to Aquinas, in book one of Summa Contra Gentiles, we read his reasoning that a life of diligent inquiry, which all philosophers, scientists, and general scholars attempt to pursue, is impeded by three distinct problems of human life:

1. Physical inability in that some are physically unable to pursue this life. We see this in the contrast between genuine genius and the common layperson and how some are just naturally capable of higher reasoning.

2. Temporal concerns in that many cannot pursue a life of diligent inquiry because of the temporal matters of life, from home life and monetary needs.

3. Indolence in that many cannot sustain a life of diligent inquiry because of their own desires and pursuits, which is seen, most often, in youths.

Next, he writes, man is affected by his natural propensity to falsity and that falsity is often included with true and accepted with the whole. If, he concludes, God's existence was solely based on the highest of human reason, with this in mind, we would perpetually remain in the darkest depths of ignorance. It is for this that God gave us faith so that all may partake in the knowledge of God.
Will Storm

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 01:09 pm
@Alan McDougall,
the cosmological argument is simply a guess. There is not logical support for it. It is just as logical to posit infinite regress as it is to posit a first mover.
CharmingPhlsphr

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 01:27 pm
@Will Storm,
Will Storm;154935 wrote:
the cosmological argument is simply a guess. There is not logical support for it. It is just as logical to posit infinite regress as it is to posit a first mover.

Not quite. The Cosmological argument is backed by logic and, more so, the argument from motion. Infinite regression is a silly and unfounded position. Logically, if all movers were intermediate movers, there would be no first mover and nothing would be moved at all. The failure of logic rests on infinite regression.
Amperage

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 01:31 pm
@CharmingPhlsphr,
CharmingPhlsphr;154945 wrote:
Not quite. The Cosmological argument is backed by logic and, more so, the argument from motion. Infinite regression is a silly and unfounded position. Logically, if all movers were intermediate movers, there would be no first mover and nothing would be moved at all. The failure of logic rests on infinite regression.
yes, I'd like to add also that an infinite series of contingent things is as insufficient in explaining itself as 1 contingent thing is.

not to mention his view would be contrary to all current scientific evidence, which doesn't mean anything necessarily per se, but if he's not going to agree with current scientific probability and information, just what is he going to agree with?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 03:19 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;149187 wrote:

Are you sure you know what the word, "fallacy" means? It does not mean that any premise or conclusion of an argument is false. It means that the conclusion fails to follow from the premises. No place do you show that any of the arguments are fallacious.
Krumple

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154991 wrote:
Are you sure you know what the word, "fallacy" means? It does not mean that any premise or conclusion of an argument is false. It means that the conclusion fails to follow from the premises. No place do you show that any of the arguments are fallacious.

You are funny. If the premises are false then they do not support the conclusion. That also makes the conclusion a fallacy. Nice try but as usual you don't check your work.
CharmingPhlsphr

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;155032 wrote:
You are funny. If the premises are false then they do not support the conclusion. That also makes the conclusion a fallacy. Nice try but as usual you don't check your work.

Can a conclusion be true while a premise is false?
0 Replies