Arguments for and against the belief in God

Krumple

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
The Cosmological Argument is flawed.The interesting thing is, the argument uses the universe as it's focus. Trying to prove that if the universe exists, it has a cause and things that have causes can't cause themselves. The funny thing is, they completely skip over the concept of god. You can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of god.

The other aspect of the argument supposes that the universe is finite but we do not know for certain if it is. If the universe is flat, then it is infinite. Pretty much all the math and our data from the microwave background noise supports that our universe is flat. Therefore our universe is more than likely infinite.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:39 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;121189 wrote:
The funny thing is, they completely skip over the concept of god. You can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of god.

Exactly how does that work? Could you explain?
Krumple

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121193 wrote:
Exactly how does that work? Could you explain?

I would love to, but I can't. Was that what you were hoping I would say? Maybe not, maybe you really are curious? Is it worth my time to explain it? I guess since I love my letter attaching ability so much, why not, even if you get nothing out of it.

Toss out the universe, let's just deal with the big man, er um thing, god. The argument supposes that god has no cause because god is infinite or eternal or uncreated. Most would not argue that, and I am not going to argue it here either. I'll let it go even though it is also flawed reasoning.

So we have this infinite god who is not caused. There is no universe, because well we don't really need it for this argument and also I'm talking about the god before the universe was made anyways.

So the argument implies that you can't have an infinite amount of previous causes, because you never can get to the first cause that started the line of preceding causes. Despite this also being flawed, I won't depute it here.

We will place god, into a realm where time doesn't exist either. Even though I believe that no such existence could exist in a timeless dimension, I will allow it just because I know the god supporters love that argument. It is flawed and some of you might have already heard or read why that is not possible, but I won't go into here either.

So god is the unmovable mover, the creator right? He is the first cause, right? Well exactly when or how would god do anything? Wouldn't this imply that god has had an infinite amount of things to do? Er had done? I mean, at what point would god have had the idea, "You know, I think I will create a universe." Well according to the cosmological argument, god would never arrive at that question or statement. Why, because he would have had to have had, an infinite amount of previous thoughts or activities, he wouldn't have had the time to create the universe. Ha! like my joke? (probably not)

If the cosmological argument works for the universe to have a cause, then by all means god's own thoughts would have to obey the cosmological argument theory. But I can already hear the rebuttals. "God doesn't think linearly like we do." or "God can have an infinite amount of thoughts all at the same time because he is not bound by the same rules that we are."

Well if god has the ability to have an infinite amount of thoughts all at the same time, then god created the universe an infinite amount of time ago. Oh no! If the universe was created an infinite amount of time ago, then doesn't that mean that the cosmological argument is contradicting god? "Wait a minute Krumple, hold on a second, why if god has infinite thought ability does it imply he created the universe an infinite amount of time ago?"

Well because we are dealing with infinity. God only needs to have one thought, "Create the universe" however if he has that one thought within a series of infinite thoughts then god would have that thought at precisely the same time as all those other thoughts. Since time also doesn't exist for god it places the creation time an infinite amount of time ago. The point is, god would never get to the point of creating the universe even with having an infinite amount of thoughts. Not fifteen billion years ago, not even an infinite amount of time ago.

If you still do not fully grasp what I am saying, all you have to do is substitute the universe with god in the argument and by the end you will see that people have neglected to do their math.
xris

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@Krumple,
I'm no believer in god but the reasoning does not make sense to me Krumps. Time could be just an invention of this universe, you dont need to examine finite as they might be not relevant. I am not a believer in infinity, I think its an invention of man, his inability to reconcile his attachment to time. Timeless is a difficult concept.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:27 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;121206 wrote:
I would love to, but I can't. Was that what you were hoping I would say? Maybe not, maybe you really are curious? Is it worth my time to explain it? I guess since I love my letter attaching ability so much, why not, even if you get nothing out of it.

Toss out the universe, let's just deal with the big man, er um thing, god. The argument supposes that god has no cause because god is infinite or eternal or uncreated. Most would not argue that, and I am not going to argue it here either. I'll let it go even though it is also flawed reasoning.

So we have this infinite god who is not caused. There is no universe, because well we don't really need it for this argument and also I'm talking about the god before the universe was made anyways.

So the argument implies that you can't have an infinite amount of previous causes, because you never can get to the first cause that started the line of preceding causes. Despite this also being flawed, I won't depute it here.

We will place god, into a realm where time doesn't exist either. Even though I believe that no such existence could exist in a timeless dimension, I will allow it just because I know the god supporters love that argument. It is flawed and some of you might have already heard or read why that is not possible, but I won't go into here either.

So god is the unmovable mover, the creator right? He is the first cause, right? Well exactly when or how would god do anything? Wouldn't this imply that god has had an infinite amount of things to do? Er had done? I mean, at what point would god have had the idea, "You know, I think I will create a universe." Well according to the cosmological argument, god would never arrive at that question or statement. Why, because he would have had to have had, an infinite amount of previous thoughts or activities, he wouldn't have had the time to create the universe. Ha! like my joke? (probably not)

If the cosmological argument works for the universe to have a cause, then by all means god's own thoughts would have to obey the cosmological argument theory. But I can already hear the rebuttals. "God doesn't think linearly like we do." or "God can have an infinite amount of thoughts all at the same time because he is not bound by the same rules that we are."

Well if god has the ability to have an infinite amount of thoughts all at the same time, then god created the universe an infinite amount of time ago. Oh no! If the universe was created an infinite amount of time ago, then doesn't that mean that the cosmological argument is contradicting god? "Wait a minute Krumple, hold on a second, why if god has infinite thought ability does it imply he created the universe an infinite amount of time ago?"

Well because we are dealing with infinity. God only needs to have one thought, "Create the universe" however if he has that one thought within a series of infinite thoughts then god would have that thought at precisely the same time as all those other thoughts. Since time also doesn't exist for god it places the creation time an infinite amount of time ago. The point is, god would never get to the point of creating the universe even with having an infinite amount of thoughts. Not fifteen billion years ago, not even an infinite amount of time ago.

If you still do not fully grasp what I am saying, all you have to do is substitute the universe with god in the argument and by the end you will see that people have neglected to do their math.

What I don't understand is why the argument supposes that God has no cause. But, more important than that, even if God has no cause, or even if we don't know what that cause is, how would that mean that God is not the cause of the universe? So, I (fully) grasp what you are saying (I think) but I don't think it is right. To repeat: you seem to be arguing that if God has no cause, or He does, but we don't know what it is, that God could not have caused the universe. And I don't see why you think that is true. If I have not (fully) grasp what you wrote, then do correct me. But if I have, could you please explain why you think you are right?
Krumple

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 03:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121354 wrote:
What I don't understand is why the argument supposes that God has no cause.

Alright, well let's examine this idea a little. It is a valid question.

If god has a cause, then by all means he would be equal to that of the universe in the sense it plays in the cosmological argument. If the argument is to state that a cause must have a causer then the question becomes. If god has a cause, then who or what is god's cause? You run into the same problem with the cause of the universe. You are no closer to an answer to the question, what caused the universe? In fact you added another problem onto the question. So you could say, that god also has a cause but then the cosmological argument is useless. (which it is but for other reasons)

kennethamy;121354 wrote:

But, more important than that, even if God has no cause, or even if we don't know what that cause is, how would that mean that God is not the cause of the universe?

This is also a very good and valid question. The cosmological argument does not answer if god created the universe, it only tries to state that the universe must have a causer or first cause. ie. god. But you are perfectly right in saying that there could be a god that did not create the universe, or that some other god created the universe. The argument doesn't address this and neither did I but my argument still holds regardless of this question. Why, because we are talking about the cause of the universe. (what caused the universe?) My argument is that god would never be able to arrive at the moment to create the universe, thus god could not be the cause of the universe.

kennethamy;121354 wrote:

So, I (fully) grasp what you are saying (I think) but I don't think it is right. To repeat: you seem to be arguing that if God has no cause, or He does, but we don't know what it is, that God could not have caused the universe.

Actually what you say here, is not what my argument is. I am using the cosmological argument to state that god could not have caused the universe. Since this is the case, then I take the step to say that god would not exist because it nullified the cosmological argument. Basically saying you don't need a creator or cause because the same argument cancels out the need for a creator of the universe.

kennethamy;121354 wrote:

And I don't see why you think that is true. If I have not (fully) grasp what you wrote, then do correct me. But if I have, could you please explain why you think you are right?

The problem is really with dealing with infinities (yes plural). Just like someone has mentioned and mentioned many times, infinities actually don't exist, they are just a mathematical construct. Not to mention that humans have a very difficult time grasping just what an infinity is. But that doesn't stop us from slapping the label onto things like god, the universe or how much money the U.S. is willing to barrow from the Chinese.

I could fill in all the gaps of the argument with the ones that specifically deal with no infinities, but I already assume those arguments have been refuted so I left them out to make the read shorter. If you really want me to spell it all out, I can, but is it really necessary?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 05:54 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;121360 wrote:
Alright, well let's examine this idea a little. It is a valid question.

If god has a cause, then by all means he would be equal to that of the universe in the sense it plays in the cosmological argument. If the argument is to state that a cause must have a causer then the question becomes. If god has a cause, then who or what is god's cause? You run into the same problem with the cause of the universe. You are no closer to an answer to the question, what caused the universe? In fact you added another problem onto the question. So you could say, that god also has a cause but then the cosmological argument is useless. (which it is but for other reasons)

This is also a very good and valid question. The cosmological argument does not answer if god created the universe, it only tries to state that the universe must have a causer or first cause. ie. god. But you are perfectly right in saying that there could be a god that did not create the universe, or that some other god created the universe. The argument doesn't address this and neither did I but my argument still holds regardless of this question. Why, because we are talking about the cause of the universe. (what caused the universe?) My argument is that god would never be able to arrive at the moment to create the universe, thus god could not be the cause of the universe.

Actually what you say here, is not what my argument is. I am using the cosmological argument to state that god could not have caused the universe. Since this is the case, then I take the step to say that god would not exist because it nullified the cosmological argument. Basically saying you don't need a creator or cause because the same argument cancels out the need for a creator of the universe.

The problem is really with dealing with infinities (yes plural). Just like someone has mentioned and mentioned many times, infinities actually don't exist, they are just a mathematical construct. Not to mention that humans have a very difficult time grasping just what an infinity is. But that doesn't stop us from slapping the label onto things like god, the universe or how much money the U.S. is willing to barrow from the Chinese.

I could fill in all the gaps of the argument with the ones that specifically deal with no infinities, but I already assume those arguments have been refuted so I left them out to make the read shorter. If you really want me to spell it all out, I can, but is it really necessary?

I did not say that every cause must have a "causer". I said that it is possible that God is the cause of the universe, but that God does not have a cause. It does not follow from the premise that there is no cause of God, that God did not cause the universe. Why would you think that it would follow?
Krumple

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121391 wrote:
I did not say that every cause must have a "causer".

The cosmological argument is the one making the statement, that every cause must have a causer or previous cause. I wasn't saying you were the one making the statement.

kennethamy;121391 wrote:

I said that it is possible that God is the cause of the universe, but that God does not have a cause.

I showed how that god could not have created the universe, regardless if god has a cause or not, it has been refuted.

kennethamy;121391 wrote:

It does not follow from the premise that there is no cause of God,

In my example, god not having a cause wasn't even necessary. I refuted god being the cause of the universe. It didn't matter if god was caused or not. The cosmological argument was shown by me to be flawed.

kennethamy;121391 wrote:

that God did not cause the universe. Why would you think that it would follow?

You seem to be backpedaling or purposely trying to insight confusion into the conversation.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;121393 wrote:
The cosmological argument is the one making the statement, that every cause must have a causer or previous cause. I wasn't saying you were the one making the statement.

I showed how that god could not have created the universe, regardless if god has a cause or not, it has been refuted.

In my example, god not having a cause wasn't even necessary. I refuted god being the cause of the universe. It didn't matter if god was caused or not. The cosmological argument was shown by me to be flawed.

You seem to be backpedaling or purposely trying to insight confusion into the conversation.

You wrote, You can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of god.

Can you explain, again, how that would work? I thought you said that it would work because the CA supposes that God must have a cause. But you now said it doesn't suppose that. So, could you please explain how, "you can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of God"?
Krumple

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121398 wrote:
You wrote, You can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of god.

Can you explain, again, how that would work? I thought you said that it would work because the CA supposes that God must have a cause. But you now said it doesn't suppose that. So, could you please explain how, "you can use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of God"?

I already did. I said that since god could not be the cause of the universe then the existence of god is not necessary for the creation of the universe. If god did not create the universe then why is god necessary? Mind you that I am dealing directly with the cosmological argument and that is what the whole discussion is about. You must take my statement as a whole and I have done as I stated. You seem to be only focusing on the last half of the statement and it bothers you for some reason. I have explained it all, if you are still confused, maybe read it a few more times.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;121400 wrote:
I already did. I said that since god could not be the cause of the universe then the existence of god is not necessary. If god did not create the universe then why is god necessary? Mind you that I am dealing directly with the cosmological argument and that is what the whole discussion is about. You must take my statement as a whole and I have done as I stated. You seem to be only focusing on the last half of the statement and it bothers you for some reason. I have explained it all, if you are still confused, maybe read it a few more times.

You forgot to mention why God cannot be the cause of the universe. It must have slipped your mind. How would your argument that God cannot be the cause of the universe (which you have omitted) use the cosmological argument? Since you did claim that you could use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of God. Could you show me how that works? I think I have asked you that twice before. So, to be clear: how can the cosmological argument be used to refute the existence of God? Let's start again, shall we?
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121404 wrote:
You forgot to mention why God cannot be the cause of the universe. It must have slipped your mind. How would your argument that God cannot be the cause of the universe (which you have omitted) use the cosmological argument? Since you did claim that you could use the cosmological argument to refute the existence of God. Could you show me how that works? I think I have asked you that twice before. So, to be clear: how can the cosmological argument be used to refute the existence of God? Let's start again, shall we?

A letter to an atheist by Alan McDougall

Have you ever thought that to be an absolute atheist takes more faith and is more difficult to rationalize than one like me who believes there is a creator? How could nothing evolve from nothing and become everything?

This logic demand that dark nothing morphed into everything, nothing created energy time matter and finally life out of inanimate energy. I see this as a ridiculous assumption; I am left to believe that all existence including mysterious life evolved without reason or purpose. Do you really believe this as a fact?

Let us consider, what life is, how could the unimaginable almost infinitely complex molecule DNA of life came into existence so quickly in relation to cosmological time. Life existed on the primordial earth just a moment after its creation, again in cosmological time some 3.5 billion years ago?

The universe is unimaginable complex and sustains itself by exact precise fundamental constants, if this harmony differed in the least infinitesimal fraction we would simply not exist; indeed the earth itself would not exist.

A billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing for eternity would not produce even one of Shakespeare sonnets. Another analogy, if we took a billion airplanes, filled them with water, concrete and bricks and dumped the whole continuously on the earth for a billion years, would it magically and randomly form the beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house? But you insist I must accept the beautiful universe a of unimaginable precision came into existence this illogical way

When life needs to evolve due to changing circumstances, does it tell itself to alter its own DNA for the new conditions or could there be a watch maker resetting the watch

I see god adjusting the DNA overlooking his own experiment if you like

Our breathtaking beautiful is expanding anything that expands must have a beginning. Can you prove there is no god of course you can't, can I of course I can't, but at least I can offer circumstantial evidence... Atheism is a faith belief system just like anything that requires belief without evidence.

As an amateur astronomer leaves me with an unshakable belief that am awesome intellect created the universe and everything else The universe is more like a great thought than a well oiled machine

Look out the sparking water that quenches your thirst, the fruit that feeds you, and invigorated your body. There is beauty everywhere and you must search for real ugliness. Go outside on a moonless night and reflect on the wonder of the cosmos that sparkles above you. the great snow capped mountains and streams, the blue sky and the rise of the sun at dawn and its golden glow as it sets.

In the early morning go and listen to the sounds of nature, birds chirping like tiny electrons in the mind of god. The wind that you breathe the precious nourishment supplied by mother earth.

Then explain to me how chance can bring this all about. To me there is a wonderful creative behind all this glory if only we would look at it.

Like all things the universe has a beginning and this demands a creator, for nothing can exist without a prime cause. The universe will end but for that we will just have to wait

Even atheistic scientists say our universe is precise, ordered with beautiful mathematical constants. One great astronomer said the universe was less like a great well oiled machine and more like a beautiful ongoing thought

I believe in God, what you believe is your right but to me a godless creation is bleak and cold

What do you people believe, No god or God

Alan McDougall 24/6/2008

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;121469 wrote:
Have you ever thought that to be an absolute atheist takes more faith and is more difficult to rationalize than one like me who believes there is a creator? How could nothing evolve from nothing and become everything?

This seems somehow irrelevant.

Should an atheist believe in god or a creator because it's easier to believe than to not believe?

That seems weak.

Alan McDougall;121469 wrote:
The universe is unimaginable complex and sustains itself by exact precise fundamental constants, if this harmony differed in the least infinitesimal fraction we would simply not exist; indeed the earth itself would not exist.

. . . . but something else would. Wouldn't it?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 08:30 am
@TickTockMan,
Lets look at the Teleological argument for the existence of God!!

Although there are variations, the basic argument can be stated as follows:
  1. Nature exhibits complexity, order, adaptation, purpose and/or beauty.
  2. The exhibited feature(s) cannot be explained by random or accidental processes, but only as a product of mind.
  3. Therefore, there exists a mind that has produced or is producing nature.
  4. A mind that produces nature is a definition of "God."
  5. Therefore, God exists.
Other forms of the argument assert that a certain category of complexity necessitates a designer, such as the following...
  1. All things that are designed were preconceived, intended, purposed or contrived.
  2. Preconception, intention, purpose, and contrivance necessitate an intellect, mind or will.
  3. All things that are irreducibly complex display intention and preconception.
  4. The universe contains non-man made things that are irreducibly complex.
  5. Those things display intention and preconception.
  6. Those things necessitate an intellect, mind or will.
In the first argument, nature can be exemplified by the universe as a whole, its physical constants or laws, the evolutionary process, humankind, a particular animal species or organ like the eye, or a capability like language in humans.

Sometimes the argument is specifically based on the fact that physical constants are fine-tuned to allow life as we know it to evolve.

While most of the classic forms of this argument are linked to monotheism, some versions of the argument may substitute for God a lesser demiurge, multiple gods and/or goddesses, or perhaps extraterrestrials as cause for natural phenomena, although reapplication of the argument would still lead to an ultimate cause.

A whimsical version of the teleological argument was offered by G. K. Chesterton in 1908: "So one elephant having a trunk was odd; but all elephants having trunks looked like a plot."
kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:12 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;121967 wrote:
Lets look at the Teleological argument for the existence of God!!

Although there are variations, the basic argument can be stated as follows:
  1. Nature exhibits complexity, order, adaptation, purpose and/or beauty.
  2. The exhibited feature(s) cannot be explained by random or accidental processes, but only as a product of mind.
  3. Therefore, there exists a mind that has produced or is producing nature.
  4. A mind that produces nature is a definition of "God."
  5. Therefore, God exists.

Other forms of the argument assert that a certain category of complexity necessitates a designer, such as the following...
  1. All things that are designed were preconceived, intended, purposed or contrived.
  2. Preconception, intention, purpose, and contrivance necessitate an intellect, mind or will.
  3. All things that are irreducibly complex display intention and preconception.
  4. The universe contains non-man made things that are irreducibly complex.
  5. Those things display intention and preconception.
  6. Those things necessitate an intellect, mind or will.

In the first argument, nature can be exemplified by the universe as a whole, its physical constants or laws, the evolutionary process, humankind, a particular animal species or organ like the eye, or a capability like language in humans.

Sometimes the argument is specifically based on the fact that physical constants are fine-tuned to allow life as we know it to evolve.

While most of the classic forms of this argument are linked to monotheism, some versions of the argument may substitute for God a lesser demiurge, multiple gods and/or goddesses, or perhaps extraterrestrials as cause for natural phenomena, although reapplication of the argument would still lead to an ultimate cause.

A whimsical version of the teleological argument was offered by G. K. Chesterton in 1908: "So one elephant having a trunk was odd; but all elephants having trunks looked like a plot."

Why would Chesterton have not expected all elephants to have a trunk, I wonder? And it does not seem to me odd that an elephant has a trunk, anymore than that a giraffe has a long neck. Chesterton's trick is selling you the idea that it is odd for an elephant to have a trunk, and weird for all elephants to have trunks. What would he expect?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;121977 wrote:
Why would Chesterton have not expected all elephants to have a trunk, I wonder? And it does not seem to me odd that an elephant has a trunk, anymore than that a giraffe has a long neck. Chesterton's trick is selling you the idea that it is odd for an elephant to have a trunk, and weird for all elephants to have trunks. What would he expect?

Why concern yourself with Chesterson and his remark, rather address refute or ad to the Teleological argument for the existence of God
kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:09 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;121988 wrote:
Why concern yourself with Chesterson and his remark, rather address refute or ad to the Teleological argument for the existence of God

You raised it. I didn't. I was just pointing out how fallacious it is.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:36 am
@kennethamy,
Lets look at the following

1. God is something of which nothing greater can be thought.

2. God may exist in the understanding.

3. To exist in reality and in the understanding is greater than to exist in the understanding alone.

4. Therefore, God exists in reality.

Thomas Aquinas: Five Arguments for the Existence of God.
Summa Theologiae, Question 2, Article 3:

It seems that God does not exist, for if one of two contrary things were infinite, its opposite would be completely destroyed. By "God," however, we mean some infinite good. Therefore, if God existed evil would not. Evil does exist in the world, however. Therefore God does not exist.

Furthermore, one should not needlessly multiply elements in an explanation. It seems that we can account for everything we see in this world on the assumption that God does not exist. All natural effects can be traced to natural causes, and all contrived effects can be traced to human reason and will. Thus there is no need to suppose that God exists.

But on the contrary God says, "I am who I am" (Ex. 3:14).

Response: It must be said that God's existence can be proved in five ways. The first and most obvious way is based on the existence of motion. It is certain and in fact evident to our senses that some things in the world are moved. Everything that is moved, however, is moved by something else, for a thing cannot be moved unless that movement is potentially within it. A thing moves something else insofar as it actually exists, for to move something is simply to actualize what is potentially within that thing.

Something can be led thus from potentiality to actuality only by something else which is already actualized. For example, a fire, which is actually hot, causes the change or motion whereby wood, which is potentially hot, becomes actually hot. Now it is impossible that something should be potentially and actually the same thing at the same time, although it could be potentially and actually different things.

For example, what is actually hot cannot at the same moment be actually cold, although it can be actually hot and potentially cold. Therefore it is impossible that a thing could move itself, for that would involve simultaneously moving and being moved in the same respect. Thus whatever is moved must be moved by something, else, etc.

This cannot go on to infinity, however, for if it did there would be no first mover and consequently no other movers, because these other movers are such only insofar as they are moved by a first mover. For example, a stick moves only because it is moved by the hand. Thus it is necessary to proceed back to some prime mover which is moved by nothing else, and this is what everyone means by "God."

The second way is based on the existence of efficient causality. We see in the world around us that there is an order of efficient causes. Nor is it ever found (in fact it is impossible) that something is its own efficient cause. If it were, it would be prior to itself, which is impossible.

Nevertheless, the order of efficient causes cannot proceed to infinity, for in any such order the first is cause of the middle (whether one or many) and the middle of the last.

Without the cause, the effect does not follow. Thus, if the first cause did not exist, neither would the middle and last causes in the sequence. If, however, there were an infinite regression of efficient causes, there would be no first efficient cause and therefore no middle causes or final effects, which is obviously not the case. Thus it is necessary to posit some first efficient cause, which everyone calls "God."

The third way is based on possibility and necessity. We find that some things can either exist or not exist, for we find them springing up and then disappearing, thus sometimes existing and sometimes not. It is impossible, however, that everything should be such, for what can possibly not exist does not do so at some time. If it is possible for every particular thing not to exist, there must have been a time when nothing at all existed.

If this were true, however, then nothing would exist now, for something that does not exist can begin to do so only through something that already exists. If, therefore, there had been a time when nothing existed, then nothing could ever have begun to exist, and thus there would be nothing now, which is clearly false. Therefore all beings cannot be merely possible. There must be one being which is necessary.

Any necessary being, however, either has or does not have something else as the cause of its necessity. If the former, then there cannot be an infinite series of such causes, any more than there can be an infinite series of efficient causes, as we have seen. Thus we must to posit the existence of something which is necessary and owes its necessity to no cause outside itself. That is what everyone calls "God."

The fourth way is based on the gradations found in things. We find that things are more or less good, true, noble, etc.; yet when we apply terms like "more" and "less" to things we imply that they are closer to or farther from some maximum. For example, a thing is said to be hotter than something else because it comes closer to that which is hottest.

Therefore something exists which is truest, greatest, noblest, and consequently most fully in being; for, as Aristotle says, the truest things are most fully in being.

That which is considered greatest in any genus is the cause of everything is that genus, just as fire, the hottest thing, is the cause of all hot things, as Aristotle says. Thus there is something which is the cause of being, goodness, and every other perfection in all things, and we call that something "God."

The fifth way is based on the governance of things. We see that some things lacking cognition, such as natural bodies, work toward an end, as is seen from the fact hat they always (or at least usually) act the same way and not accidentally, but by design. Things without knowledge tend toward a goal, however, only if they are guided in that direction by some knowing, understanding being, as is the case with an arrow and archer. Therefore, there is some intelligent being by whom all natural things are ordered to their end, and we call this being "God."

To the first argument, therefore, it must be said that, as Augustine remarks, "since God is the supreme good he would permit no evil in his works unless he were so omnipotent and good that he could produce good even out of evil."

To the second, it must be said that, since nature works according to a determined end through the direction of some superior agent, whatever is done by nature must be traced back to God as its first cause. in the same way, those things which are done intentionally must be traced back to a higher cause which is neither reason nor human will, for these can change and cease to exist and, as we have seen, all such things must be traced back to some first principle which is unchangeable and necessary, as has been shown.
0 Replies

TaylorC

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Why can't we agree on the fact that we actually don't know how everything began? I don't see the need to fill that gap of knowledge with the idea of some all-powerful supernatural being responsible for it. I'm OK with accepting that we just don't know it yet...
xris

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:56 am
@TaylorC,
I can imagine an engineered universe and if I really try an engineer that lives outside of our time, or out of time. Its not illogical to build a picture of possibilities. My problem has always been the enormous leap of imagination that the faithful make in either using this to support their beliefs or use it to describe a creator. I am also aware that certain atheists are over cautious in accepting that there is a certain look of certainty in the universe, an enormous likely hood that we have a universe without a cause. I maintain we should keep an open mind.
0 Replies