Time is it moving slower than it was in the young universe?

pagan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:43 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Alan McDougall
I have had a rethink about this question, if we sort of reverse it, as the universe expands it gets larger and larger less dense with less and less of a gravity field until the general gravity reaches zero;wont time speed up until it reaches infinity?
Well as it gets less dense on average there may still be pockets of high gravity. But again it is all relative.

Quote:
wont time speed up until it reaches infinity?
well infinity compared to what point in history? And such a comparison is virtual, it doesn't feel different. I suppose you could say that during the first second or so the time dilation relative effect compared to now would be highly dramatic. But the physics is weird and tested to breaking point anyway in that model. From now to a near vacuum would not produce such a dramatic time dilation relative observation because the time dilation effect is not linear.

Incidentally the multiverse theory which is now in the accendant posits universes bubbling away in higher dimensions. So 4d space time does expand into a higher space.

BUT we should always take note that a physics mathematical model does not necessarily mirror conceptually the thing that it is modelling. We may mathematically model and predict the breeding numbers of rabbits ..... but maths aint sex Smile
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:53 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;128441 wrote:
I have not heard this before from them. Most cosmologists that I know don't talk like that. Anyone that understands thermal dynamics would never talk like that. First law of thermodynamics? Conservation of energy, energy can only be transformed, it can not be created or destroyed.

This is why the theory of soul does not sit with me. The soul would require infinite amount of energy unless it ate food like we do. If it had some power source to transform energy into being. I don't see how it would operate therefore I don't see how a soul could exist. You could say that god fuels the soul with infinite energy. That would mean that god is either a converter of energy or a type of circuit or sorts where the energy loss is reabsorbed back to the source. I have never heard anyone talk about god being a battery for the soul. I'll let you have that one for free.

I disagree. Science will never have to meet anything metaphysical, or supernatural. The day it does this, it will cease being science in my opinion.

The simplest answer is generally the correct answer. My simple explanation is that space and time have always been present. Matter and energy are just an exchange within that space. My theory does not violate thermodynamics since I do not have to create anything.

The question then begs into what is the universe expanding?
xris

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 04:25 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;128751 wrote:

Is it expanding, if nothing exists, its got no where to go. These paradoxes keep piling up.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:39 am
@xris,
The flow of time has so far eluded science's ability to detect. some philosophers believe that is because this phenomenon is a mental process only. Every day, every hour, every minute of one's life, more "pages" or "files" of experience are added to one's memory as reported by our senses. Surely it this ongoing process which creates our very necessary sense of the flow of time. Thus we know who we are, where we've been, where we're at and where we're going.

All our thought processes involve chemical/electrical activity in our brains. So even as our minds work to experience time flow, this activity itself represents motion of matter and energy through space, no matter how small a space it is!

Thus time is nothing but an illussion of the mind or is it?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;128751 wrote:

Well according to my theory, the space has always been here. So the matter and energy is expanding within this infinite space. You could say that the universe is not separate from this infinite space. We take the matter, the visible parts of the universe as the whole, but I am saying that matter within the infinite space is together the universe. Therefore there really is no expansion of the universe. There is just expansion or separation of matter and energy within the infinite space. In other words, the universe isn't expanding because it is already infinite.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:43 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129942 wrote:
Well according to my theory, the space has always been here. So the matter and energy is expanding within this infinite space. You could say that the universe is not separate from this infinite space. We take the matter, the visible parts of the universe as the whole, but I am saying that matter within the infinite space is together the universe. Therefore there really is no expansion of the universe. There is just expansion or separation of matter and energy within the infinite space. In other words, the universe isn't expanding because it is already infinite.

Nearly every astrophysicist will dispute that, there is exact proof that the universe is indeed expanding due to the redshift of light from remote galaxies all of them "without we exception we now know are moving away" from out milky way galaxy. The great astronomer Edwin Hubble found this out years ago by using the largest most powerful and accurate telescope of the time, namely the Mount Wilson 100 inch telescope

If they are indeed all moving away from us then by reversing the process they must all have originated at some very early moment and we call that moment the big bang
Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;129953 wrote:
Nearly every astrophysicist will dispute that,

Not exactly but I'll come back to this at the end of this post.

there is exact proof that the universe is indeed expanding due to the redshift of light from remote galaxies all of them "without we exception we now know are moving away" from out milky way galaxy.

Yes I am familiar with red shift. This only accounts for the matter moving away from each other. There are two problems, one it does not address the actual space itself and two we are on a collision course with Andromeda. If space were expanding uniformly then no galaxies could ever collide. We know that galaxies do collide.

If they are indeed all moving away from us then by reversing the process they must all have originated at some very early moment and we call that moment the big bang

Yes this only accounts for the matter. I am not in conflict here. I completely agree that the matter is moving apart but the space itself is not. The space is effected by the matter moving giving the illusion of expansion but what I am saying is that we are only observing matter moving away from each other.

"Nearly every astrophysicist will dispute that,"

There is only three possible models that the universe can take. Open, closed or flat-infinite. We have some evidence that will help us to determine which type of universe we live in. We can use the background radiation data to do this. What we do is we construct all three types of universes on a computer and enter the background radiation data as it would have been known to exist at the time of the big bang. The ONLY model that supports the background data that we have is the flat-infinite universe model. Meaning? That we live in a universe that is already infinite in size. The only thing that is not infinite, is the matter within it. This means that the current observations of the expansion are only taking into consideration the matter, but neglecting the actual space itself.

"When we compare the true density of the universe to the 'critical density', we determine whether we live in a 'closed,' 'flat,' or 'open' universe. If the density of our universe is greater than the critical density, our universe is 'closed,' which means our universe will eventually stop expanding and start contracting back on itself. If the density of the universe is equal to the critical density, then we live in a 'flat' universe. In a flat universe, the universal expansion slows, but it never reverses into a contraction. Lastly, if the density of the universe is less than the critical density, then the universe is 'open.' In an open universe, the expansion continues forever."

We can use the Friedmann equation to determine this as well. The results indicate that we live in a flat universe.
Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:31 am
@Krumple,
I suppose I missed the boat on this discussion... but the idea of time being a misconception of velocity has always seemed very probable to me. After all, the way we started to keep time is rooted in the earth's rotation and the moon's orbit.

We are able to measure velocity with our eyes and there is no doubt a limit to the speed of our brain function, so if you take that brain "speed limit" and combine it with the ability to observe velocity on different scales, then it seems evident that time is just a result of the ratio between two speeds, our brain and whatever we are looking at. Hence, "that went by fast" and "that went by quickly" are two very similar ideas. One involves one piece of the ratio, the other the ratio itself.

However I am unsure how to couple this with relativity, I am not that advanced in my physics toolbox.
Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:42 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129958 wrote:
I suppose I missed the boat on this discussion... but the idea of time being a misconception of velocity has always seemed very probable to me.

I completely agree with you here, but I really don't like your example. Funny as that is. I don't think you fully captured what you wanted to say completely. I mean what if you took out the brain factor? Replace it with a camera and film? Even if the film flew by at incredible speeds, lets say the speed of light, you think we couldn't maintain a time constant?

We are able to measure velocity with our eyes and there is no doubt a limit to the speed of our brain function, so if you take that brain "speed limit" and combine it with the ability to observe velocity on different scales, then it seems evident that time is just a result of the ratio between two speeds, our brain and whatever we are looking at. Hence, "that went by fast" and "that went by quickly" are two very similar ideas. One involves one piece of the ratio, the other the ratio itself.

However I am unsure how to couple this with relativity, I am not that advanced in my physics toolbox.

I do agree that there is some discrepancy here and it should be considered for observations. But I don't think its the only way that we can measure the flow of time.
Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:44 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129957 wrote:
Yes I am familiar with red shift. This only accounts for the matter moving away from each other. There are two problems, one it does not address the actual space itself and two we are on a collision course with Andromeda. If space were expanding uniformly then no galaxies could ever collide. We know that galaxies do collide.

The evidence points towards both, there is more redshift coming from the far end of the middle, and less redshift coming from our own, since we are moving in the same general direction.

You seem to be saying the equivalent of: in a high-speed chase, the cop can't catch up to the robber unless he accelerates.
However we are talking about relatively frictionless space here, so one galaxy (the cop) need not accelerate to catch up to the other (the robber), they could've had different initial velocities from the big bang and taken this long to meet, or one could've been accelerated by a collision or the pull of another galaxy or galaxy cluster.

Quote:
"Nearly every astrophysicist will dispute that,"

There is only three possible models that the universe can take. Open, closed or flat-infinite. We have some evidence that will help us to determine which type of universe we live in. We can use the background radiation data to do this. What we do is we construct all three types of universes on a computer and enter the background radiation data as it would have been known to exist at the time of the big bang. The ONLY model that supports the background data that we have is the flat-infinite universe model. Meaning? That we live in a universe that is already infinite in size. The only thing that is not infinite, is the matter within it. This means that the current observations of the expansion are only taking into consideration the matter, but neglecting the actual space itself.

Who are you referencing for this? Cosmic background radiation is fundamental evidence for the big bang theory, that's why it won out over the solid-state theory that was competing at the time.

[QUOTE]"When we compare the true density of the universe to the 'critical density', we determine whether we live in a 'closed,' 'flat,' or 'open' universe. If the density of our universe is greater than the critical density, our universe is 'closed,' which means our universe will eventually stop expanding and start contracting back on itself. If the density of the universe is equal to the critical density, then we live in a 'flat' universe. In a flat universe, the universal expansion slows, but it never reverses into a contraction. Lastly, if the density of the universe is less than the critical density, then the universe is 'open.' In an open universe, the expansion continues forever."

We can use the Friedmann equation to determine this as well. The results indicate that we live in a flat universe.
[/QUOTE]

If matter is expanding away from other matter, then unless this stops we are doomed to an open universe.
The idea of a critical density assumes the only accelerant is gravity, but if the expansion of the universe is speeding up it means the force of gravity has already been overpowered and we are already in an open universe.

---------- Post added 02-19-2010 at 07:56 AM ----------

Krumple;128423 wrote:
One thing you missed here and like I mentioned at the end of my post. If you have an edge of the universe, what is on the other side of that edge?

If the big bang brought with it the void and the space, then did it also create the void on the other side of the space too?

Imagine a balloon. Inside the balloon is the universe as we know it. The matter and space was created at the big bang. The edge of the balloon is the edge of the universe. Well then what is outside the edge of the universe? Nothing? If it is nothing, then by all means my theory of time and space already being present it just the same.

Therefore time and space could be as I have theorized with matter being a flux of energy. No big bang is required. Time and space are infinite in all directions and always have been.

xris;128436 wrote:
Ive read of this theory before but what intrigues me, is how this theory discounts the regression we observe going back to the singularity ,how does it fit into your view. I have mentioned this nothing that we speak of, outside of the universe, it is another paradox. You cant have nothing, so although we are told the universe is expanding, it cant be because there is nothing to expand into. My box ,empty box, is the question I always ask and no one it appears can or will answer.

If I have a box with absolutely nothing in it does the box exist. If you place yourself in a box within that box , what exists. I believe you could be right but explaining it , or even beginning to understand it, is a bit daunting.

I think that what is meant by the idea of nothing outside the universe, is that there has never been anything there before. It could mean we have a wrong conception of nothing, or there exists something akin to an aether which is everywhere.

The important thing to consider is that opposites define each other, nothing is literally "no thing", so without something there would be nothing in the universe, but we weren't around to come up with the ideas of something and nothing now were we?

This is important because what we consider to be "nothing" could be wrong, there could be something, so it is important to be humble about what one is willing to call "nothing".

I also think the above helps make the distinction between "a place where no thing has been before" and "a place where there is nothing" when referring to the edge of the universe.
Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
@Scottydamion,
The evidence points towards both, there is more redshift coming from the far end of the middle, and less redshift coming from our own, since we are moving in the same general direction.

I wonder how much of this is effected by the black holes in the galaxy? It stands to reason that if gravity can curve the path of light then by all means it could also stretch the wave length of light also. So any light that passes in front of a black hole would appear to be stretched in frequency. Thus red shifted.

You seem to be saying the equivalent of: in a high-speed chase, the cop can't catch up to the robber unless he accelerates.
However we are talking about relatively frictionless space here, so one galaxy (the cop) need not accelerate to catch up to the other (the robber), they could've had different initial velocities from the big bang and taken this long to meet, or one could've been accelerated by a collision or the pull of another galaxy or galaxy cluster.

Not exactly. If the expansion of space is uniform then by all means the distances would increase even if they were moving towards each other. So to put it in terms that I mean using your example. It would be like the cop car and the robber car were not moving but instead the road between them was stretching in all directions equally. This means their distance from each other increases. But if you were to start moving them, you have to cancel the expansion rate with their velocities and then they would still need a positive velocity gain to be able to collide.

So if everything is uniformly moving apart in all directions. There is no possible way that two galaxies could ever collide unless their velocities canceled out the expansion rate. But if we are canceling out the expansion rate, why haven't all the galaxies done this in some form? We would find evidence for varying degrees of expansion but we don't. That's why we use the hubble constant.

Who are you referencing for this? Cosmic background radiation is fundamental evidence for the big bang theory, that's why it won out over the solid-state theory that was competing at the time.

Lawrence Krauss

If matter is expanding away from other matter, then unless this stops we are doomed to an open universe.
The idea of a critical density assumes the only accelerant is gravity, but if the expansion of the universe is speeding up it means the force of gravity has already been overpowered and we are already in an open universe.

But none of the data supports that we have an open universe.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129961 wrote:
I completely agree with you here, but I really don't like your example. Funny as that is. I don't think you fully captured what you wanted to say completely. I mean what if you took out the brain factor? Replace it with a camera and film? Even if the film flew by at incredible speeds, lets say the speed of light, you think we couldn't maintain a time constant?

I do agree that there is some discrepancy here and it should be considered for observations. But I don't think its the only way that we can measure the flow of time.

I use the example because I think it was the only thing available at the time when the idea "time" was thought up. It could be that there is no need for a ratio, that just the speed limit of the brain is important, and that would probably make it more mathematically compatible with relativity, and help explain why other phenomena are seen to occur on a "timely" basis, such as radioactive decay.

---------- Post added 02-19-2010 at 08:11 AM ----------

Krumple;129966 wrote:
I wonder how much of this is effected by the black holes in the galaxy? It stands to reason that if gravity can curve the path of light then by all means it could also stretch the wave length of light also. So any light that passes in front of a black hole would appear to be stretched in frequency. Thus red shifted.

Now that is a useful example, but it seems to go against evidence for a cooling universe as seen through the examination of Earth's layers and seems to suggest that everything popped into existence where it is and then the space between objects started expanding.

Quote:
Not exactly. If the expansion of space is uniform then by all means the distances would increase even if they were moving towards each other. So to put it in terms that I mean using your example. It would be like the cop car and the robber car were not moving but instead the road between them was stretching in all directions equally. This means their distance from each other increases. But if you were to start moving them, you have to cancel the expansion rate with their velocities and then they would still need a positive velocity gain to be able to collide.

So if everything is uniformly moving apart in all directions. There is no possible way that two galaxies could ever collide unless their velocities canceled out the expansion rate. But if we are canceling out the expansion rate, why haven't all the galaxies done this in some form? We would find evidence for varying degrees of expansion but we don't. That's why we use the hubble constant.

I'd have to look it up, but I'm fairly certain the hubble "constant" is calculated through observation, meaning it's an average, so it would appear to mean there is uniformity if one did not know it was an average.

*EDIT* Two cars could not catch up to each other in the scenario you give unless one of two conditions, or both conditions, are met:
1) the lagging car is accelerating faster than the leading car and the expansion of the road.
2) the lagging car has enough velocity to reach the leading car before the acceleration of space slows him down to a point of no interception.
*/EDIT*

Quote:
Lawrence Krauss
I'll have to read up and get back to you then.

Quote:
But none of the data supports that we have an open universe.
I used those if examples because they mean if current beliefs regarding the universe are correct, an open universe is inevitable.
Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:14 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129967 wrote:
I use the example because I think it was the only thing available at the time when the idea "time" was thought up. It could be that there is no need for a ratio, that just the speed limit of the brain is important, and that would probably make it more mathematically compatible with relativity, and help explain why other phenomena are seen to occur on a "timely" basis, such as radioactive decay.

Are you implying that atomic decay is an observational error? I just think the reason we find discrepancies in the decay rate is due to energy itself. One of my favorite parts in deferential equations was determining temperature changes in materials as the heat source moved. What I noticed was that even small amounts of energy could drastically effect the outcome. So on a subatomic level I can easily see that each molecule doesn't have equal energy. If each atom of the same type does not have equal energy then by all means their decay rate will be impacted by this. So you will observe, if I am right, inconsistent decay rates.
Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:17 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129970 wrote:
Are you implying that atomic decay is an observational error? I just think the reason we find discrepancies in the decay rate is due to energy itself. One of my favorite parts in deferential equations was determining temperature changes in materials as the heat source moved. What I noticed was that even small amounts of energy could drastically effect the outcome. So on a subatomic level I can easily see that each molecule doesn't have equal energy. If each atom of the same type does not have equal energy then by all means their decay rate will be impacted by this. So you will observe, if I am right, inconsistent decay rates.

I do not know enough about decay rates, but I was implying that if decay rates have nothing to do with velocity, then my thoughts on time would be incomplete or false.
Krumple

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129971 wrote:
I do not know enough about decay rates, but I was implying that if decay rates have nothing to do with velocity, then my thoughts on time would be incomplete or false.

Oh maybe you have to back up a little bit. Which velocity are you referring to here? If you don't mind can you re-explain your theory again for me so I can put them both together at the same time? pun intended.

I often wondered what a completely stationary object would experience in space, but we have never observed anything completely stationary. Since the galaxy is moving, and we are orbiting the galaxy, and the sun, we never get a chance to see what it would be like to be completely zero velocity.

If you are going, where I think you are going, I think time is impacted by these velocities. But as far as decay rates, I can't see the connection. I know time is required, but what are you implying about the time? That we only experience time because we have velocity? If we were to reach absolute zero velocity there would be no decay?
xris

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:52 am
@Krumple,
We have not even considered the torus universe a very able theory, to consider. It answers many paradoxes of time and space.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:49 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Krumple

As for the nearby galaxy Andromeda it will collide with our milky way galaxy in a hundred billion years or so, Because it and our galaxy are caught up in the same localized gravity field, but both galaxy are still moving together in the general expansion of the universe. The fabric of space is expanding because without exception and all the galaxies of the universe are embedded within this fabric, there is no empty void
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:24 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;129982 wrote:
Oh maybe you have to back up a little bit. Which velocity are you referring to here? If you don't mind can you re-explain your theory again for me so I can put them both together at the same time? pun intended.

I often wondered what a completely stationary object would experience in space, but we have never observed anything completely stationary. Since the galaxy is moving, and we are orbiting the galaxy, and the sun, we never get a chance to see what it would be like to be completely zero velocity.

If you are going, where I think you are going, I think time is impacted by these velocities. But as far as decay rates, I can't see the connection. I know time is required, but what are you implying about the time? That we only experience time because we have velocity? If we were to reach absolute zero velocity there would be no decay?

It was made apparent by someone else much more qualified than me that if you take time out of certain equations, they are solvable. I am talking about time being a concept directly dependent on velocity, namely the velocity of our synapses.

All velocities are relative so there is no such thing as zero velocity, it all depends on who is looking at who. You could try to achieve zero angular momentum in an atom, but that is the closest to "zero velocity" we hope to aim for.
Krumple

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130274 wrote:
It was made apparent by someone else much more qualified than me that if you take time out of certain equations, they are solvable. I am talking about time being a concept directly dependent on velocity, namely the velocity of our synapses.

So basically saying that time only exists in our heads. Heh I think I get the joke now.

Scottydamion;130274 wrote:

All velocities are relative so there is no such thing as zero velocity, it all depends on who is looking at who. You could try to achieve zero angular momentum in an atom, but that is the closest to "zero velocity" we hope to aim for.

Well when I mentioned zero velocity, I meant not being under any gravitational influence. Not being drug along with the movement of the galaxy and not being acted on by any other object or mass. In fact even stating that picking a point in space and not moving off that point. That to me would be zero velocity, even if the space were expanding, it would still be zero velocity.

We don't have a fixed point in space, because we never touch the same points in space ever. It appears as though we are but that is only because everything we see locally is being drug along with us. But the fact is we never actually touch the same point in space more than once.
north

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:39 pm
@Krumple,
of course it is not time that is moving slower , but the reactions between objects that is