Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:45 am
(1) "Bank out"? "cry'n"?
Context:
Larry Flynt claims he has nude pictures of PFC Lynch she's a hero alright... NOT she left the military so she could bank out thats just a cry'n shame IMHO

(2) "Should" = what if ?
context:
Regarding Lynch and her particulars, I personally would like to see her left alone by the media, etc., at least until she can come further along with treatment, her medical records that exist, and so on. Don't know that she's truly prepared to handle quite all the questions that can get thrown at her should folk really start probing.

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,068 • Replies: 6
No top replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:02 am
1. bank out, I assume here, means make a lot of money in a short amount of time.

cry'n is short for crying, and a crying shame is, well, just that. . . an injustice or shame so terrible it's worth crying over :-)

3. And that's what should means there. . . I think it's actually short for "If folks should really start", but we we leave out the if :-)

hope that helps :-)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:03 am
I think I've gotten 90% what I wanted to know. Thanks princessash185. Smile

What I am not sure is:
NOT she left the military so she could bank out thats just a cry'n shame IMHO

I think if "she left the military", "she could bank out"; but "thats just a cry'n shame IMHO". It is very clear, what I didn't get is "NOT". What does the "NOT" mean?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:10 am
"Not" is being used in a very childish and sarcastic way.

For example:

"I like milk.. NOT"

The use of this construct is by stating something sarcastically and then letting everyone know that it's not true by punctuating the sentence with "NOT".

It's said to work with wonderous effect on 5-year-old school girls.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
oristarA wrote:
What I am not sure is:
NOT she left the military so she could bank out thats just a cry'n shame IMHO

Well, Craven explained what the "NOT" meant, but one other reason it may have been unclear is because whoever wrote it forgot to add punctuation. Following is the same paragraph, but with some punctuation added this time:

Larry Flynt claims he has nude pictures of PFC Lynch. She's a hero alright... NOT! She left the military so she could bank out! Thats just a cry'n shame, IMHO.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:13 am
Oristar, NOT is used as slang/sarcasticly to mean the opposite of what is said.
She's a hero... NOT.
It means she not a hero but with a sarcastic sentiment.
When speaking this particular phrase, it's all in the timing, like delivering a good joke, it demands rhythm. When you say NOT it should be louder, staccato like, to emphasize your point.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:23 pm
Monger and Ceili exactly have helped me out about what "NOT" meant in that context. While Craven de Kere came to the point by which an ESL learner would be much likely stumbled! Haha, that is very interesting; cos an ESL learner may not get confused by a professor's English article (because suck kind of article is often full of logic and wisdom which can be figured out by hard work with searching database), but possibly be stuck by baby's talking -- cos without written data and actual experience with western babies or kids.... Smile
Finally, thanks all!
0 Replies