Proving a negative

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:17 am
@hue-man,
OK ,

Do a little thought experiment.

Assume that the universe contains all existence

"Remove All existence from your mind" and what? o o o o o o .
hue-man

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:04 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
Well, a "false claim" and a "meaningless proposition" are two completely different concepts. Beyond that, the biggest problem is that you are making up your own meaning for a term ("false") that already has a meaning. Why do that?

I assume you want to create your own label for definite claims about reality that can't be verified. So if someone says Caesar sneezed crossing the river, but he has no evidence supporting that, then you find such statements improper. Improper how? Given your demand for evidence, it seems you are using as your standard the epistemology science relies on (and law too). In those strict disciplines, you can't say something is definitely true unless there is evidence to support your contention. So yes, it is epistemologically improper to say it if we are trying to carefully state what is known, and yes it is a "meaningless proposition" epistemologically.

However, an epistemologically improper or meaningless statement is not necessarily a false claim. My dictionary says false is "not conforming to facts or truth." The claim that Caesar sneezed crossing the river cannot be considered false because we can't verify it either way! If you say it is false, then you have committed the negative proof fallacy because you are saying if it can't be proven true it is to be considered false.

Bottom line: what you should state instead of "false" is that such claims are epistemologically improper or meaningless.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear the last time. I call it a false claim, because to claim is to state to be true; to assert. It is not false in the since that you mean, because it is unverifiable. It is just false to assert that such a statement is true. Do you understand what I'm saying?

P.S. And I wasn't saying that a false claim and a meaningless proposition are the same thing. I meant to put a comma after false claim, my bad. I was saying that if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim. This is easy to understand once you understand the meaning and context of the use of the word claim.
hue-man

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:05 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
OK ,

Do a little thought experiment.

Assume that the universe contains all existence

"Remove All existence from your mind" and what? o o o o o o .

That's impossible unless your brain stops working.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:20 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I was saying that if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim.

That is only so if an assertion of something unverifiable automatically constitutes a claim of knowledge. But why should it? I can assert something without claiming knowledge of it; I may simply believe it. A person may say 'God exists' and believe it very strongly, without claiming that he knows God exists. In that case, he is not making a false claim. He is merely making an (unjustified) assertion about God, which could actually be true or false.

Why can't 'Caesar sneezed' mean just that, and nothing more? Why must it imply the false claim 'I know that Caesar sneezed' or 'I can verify that Caesar sneezed'?
hue-man

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:27 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
That is only so if an assertion of something unverifiable automatically constitutes a claim of knowledge. But why should it? I can assert something without claiming knowledge of it; I may simply believe it. A person may say 'God exists' and believe it very strongly, without claiming that he knows God exists. In that case, he is not making a false claim. He is merely making an (unjustified) assertion about God, which could actually be true or false.

Why can't 'Caesar sneezed' mean just that, and nothing more? Why must it imply the false claim 'I know that Caesar sneezed' or 'I can verify that Caesar sneezed'?

I still don't think you get my point. I basically agree with what you're saying, but try and understand what I'm saying. A claim is an assertion that is stated to be true. If someone makes such a claim that Caesar sneezed then they are making a false claim, because it is unverifiable, which means that we cannot positively know whether Caesar sneezed or not.

If someone states that they believe Caesar sneezed then they should explain why they believe he sneezed. The question then becomes: is the belief a justified one. So, claiming that Caesar sneezed is a false claim, and proposing that Caesar sneezed is meaningless, because it cannot be verified. I basically agree with what you said, you are just failing to understand what I mean by false claim. Please tell me you understand me after this reply?
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:44 am
@hue-man,
hue man
Quote:
That's impossible unless your brain stops working.

You are very correct it is just this type of thinking that landed me into a mental hospital and more than once at that.

How can infinity be, a road with no beginning and no end???. I got stuck on this road and went insane, I really did no kidding

"Stay away fro this dangerous loop thinking it could destroy your mind

How can eternity be, the same result.

What is the absence of existence
hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
hue man

You are very correct it is just this type of thinking that landed me into a mental hospital and more than once at that.

How can infinity be, a road with no beginning and no end???. I got stuck on this road and went insane, I really did no kidding

"Stay away fro this dangerous loop thinking it could destroy your mind

How can eternity be, the same result.

What is the absence of existence

Damn, bro. That's heavy.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:25 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Please tell me you understand me after this reply?

I understand you to be using the word 'claim' to mean 'claim of knowledge'. Am I right? If so, then yes, I agree that, if it concerned something unverifiable, it would be a false claim.
hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:02 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
I understand you to be using the word 'claim' to mean 'claim of knowledge'. Am I right? If so, then yes, I agree that, if it concerned something unverifiable, it would be a false claim.

Yes, that is what I meant. The word claim means a statement of knowledge or truth, and so to claim that Caesar sneezed crossing the Rubicon would be a false claim and a meaningless proposition.
ACB

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Yes, that is what I meant. The word claim means a statement of knowledge or truth, and so to claim that Caesar sneezed crossing the Rubicon would be a false claim and a meaningless proposition.

Ah, but you have confused the issue by adding 'or truth'. As LWSleeth has pointed out, a statement of knowledge and a statement of truth are two quite different things:

(a) Statement of knowledge: 'I know that Caesar sneezed'. False.

(b) Statement of truth: 'It is true that Caesar sneezed' (or simply 'Caesar sneezed'). Possibly true.

If, on reflection, you are happy to withdraw the words 'or truth', then I will understand and agree with you.
hue-man

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:32 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Ah, but you have confused the issue by adding 'or truth'. As LWSleeth has pointed out, a statement of knowledge and a statement of truth are two quite different things:

(a) Statement of knowledge: 'I know that Caesar sneezed'. False.

(b) Statement of truth: 'It is true that Caesar sneezed' (or simply 'Caesar sneezed'). Possibly true.

If, on reflection, you are happy to withdraw the words 'or truth', then I will understand and agree with you.

Knowledge is justified true belief. Truth is logical and parsimonious consistency with evidence and with other truth. Belief is acceptance of a proposition as true. How you could separate knowledge from truth is beyond me. Statements a and b are both false claims for the same reason.
LWSleeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 10:28 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;46828 wrote:
Knowledge is justified true belief. Truth is logical and parsimonious consistency with evidence and with other truth. Belief is acceptance of a proposition as true. How you could separate knowledge from truth is beyond me. Statements a and b are both false claims for the same reason.

All that might be so, but I think you have yet to take responsibility for structuring your statement so everyone knows what you mean, not just you.

Your statement "I was saying that if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim," is just plain wrong if we rely on what the statement actually says. How are we supposed to know what you really meant? As someone demonstrated, the claim that Caesar might have sneezed as he crossed the river is not false . . . it is merely unverifiable (i.e., it might very well be true). So your generalization that "if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim" is at the very least semantically incorrect if you meant something else by it.

If we accept what you say you actually meant, then you made the mistake of treating "false claim" as though it is an objective issue when really you meant it to be a subjective issue. To say something is a false claim means we know reality is some other way than stated (objective reality). But you meant that someone is subjectively stating they know something they really don't, and that is not a "false claim," but rather is the subjective act of someone claiming to know who doesn't. Because his subjectivity says absolutely nothing about the reality of the objective world, any attempt to link the two is, as I've pointed out several times, a fallacy of argument to ignorance or logic.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:16 am
@LWSleeth,
You can prove a negative

http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/2008/06/you_can_prove_a_negative.php

Category: Logic and philosophy
Posted on: June 25, 2008 4:38 AM, by John S. Wilkins
http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/db080625.gif
Well, no it isn't philosophically impossible... read on:
It is commonly thought that one cannot prove a negative, but of course I can. If I say "there are no weasels in my right pocket", all I need to do is enumerate the objects in my right pocket and find a dearth of weasels among them to prove that negative claim. So why do people think one can't prove a negative?
Negative claims are of the form
[INDENT]∼∃(x)(Fx) [/INDENT]Or, in English, "NOT Thereis an x such that x Fs"... oh, OK, it asserts that no x is F.

Now to prove this claim, you need something that logicians call "the Universe of Discourse", or "the Domain". That is, the totality of the world or worlds that the claim ranges across. In the pocket example, that is my right pocket.

If the domain or universe is small enough, and all the objects in it accessible in a reasonable time, we certainly do think that we can make proof claims.

Consider the extinction of the Yellow River dolphin. Pretty well all areas in which that animal can exist are under constant observation by a very large population that has the means to report its existence. So we can safely say that it no longer exists.

So why is it a common claim? This has to do with the development of the medieval logics, and ambiguity (errors in logic are nearly always due to ambiguity in some way or another). The medievals had what they called "the Square of Opposition". It went like this:
http://www.iep.utm.edu/images/soa.gif
Propositions of the form E are negative claims. But if the universe is not defined, as it wasn't (the medievals thought that logical possibility ranged across all the universe and possible universes unrestrictedly), one cannot find out if something is false until one encounters an existing contradiction to the claim (an x that is F).

Because they had an unrestricted domain, they could never prove that negative if none were ever encountered.

I suspect, though, that it is easier to prove that Obama is not a Muslim or a terrorist than to prove that no gods are green, for example. The domain is smaller, and more manageable.
LWSleeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:45 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;46859 wrote:
Well, no it isn't philosophically impossible...

The problem is, you are not describing how the phrase "proving a negative" is traditionally applied to in logic. It means this: Negative proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is confusing to choose a phrase commonly used to describe a logic fallacy and then use it in an entirely different context. How the general public comes to use a term (including cartoonists) is often not proper, so that may not be a good source for supporting your argument. I've heard several people in the news refer to "begging the question" as meaning to keep questioning something that is already decided. :rolleyes:

To avoid confusion, you might describe what you are talking about as the impossibility of proving something is not true in certain situations. But your example of no weasel in the pocket doesn't describe the traditional problem of proving something is not true either!

What "proving not" describes is trying to prove something is not true in situations we can't observe (or as Hue-man would say, verify), such as, there are no gods living in the heart of the sun. You can't prove it isn't so; neither can you prove there aren't teapots orbiting distant stars (a favorite example of Richard Dawkins). These types of arguments are often found in the argument to ignorance fallacy, or improbability arguments.

However, your weasel example is a verifiable statement because we can check the pocket. Any statement that can be confirmed or refuted by observation is subject to empirical proof. Any statement that cannot be confirmed by observation is technically unprovable. And because a statement cannot be proven doesn't mean it is false (that would be attempting a negative proof, which is fallacious).
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 02:45 am
@hue-man,
WLSleeth

Must reflect on this, at this stage I cant see how you can empirically prove a negativity

It is like trying to proving an impossibility
hue-man

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:25 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
All that might be so, but I think you have yet to take responsibility for structuring your statement so everyone knows what you mean, not just you.

Your statement "I was saying that if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim," is just plain wrong if we rely on what the statement actually says. How are we supposed to know what you really meant? As someone demonstrated, the claim that Caesar might have sneezed as he crossed the river is not false . . . it is merely unverifiable (i.e., it might very well be true). So your generalization that "if a claim is unverifiable then it is a false claim" is at the very least semantically incorrect if you meant something else by it.

If we accept what you say you actually meant, then you made the mistake of treating "false claim" as though it is an objective issue when really you meant it to be a subjective issue. To say something is a false claim means we know reality is some other way than stated (objective reality). But you meant that someone is subjectively stating they know something they really don't, and that is not a "false claim," but rather is the subjective act of someone claiming to know who doesn't. Because his subjectivity says absolutely nothing about the reality of the objective world, any attempt to link the two is, as I've pointed out several times, a fallacy of argument to ignorance or logic.

I give up. I have explained this enough. I stated what the word claim means and why I am saying it is false to make such a claim. If you're refusing to understand what I mean by false claim then I can't do anything to help you figure it out. Please forget that I ever used the term so that we can both get on with our lives.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 06:12 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I give up. I have explained this enough. I stated what the word claim means and why I am saying it is false to make such a claim. If you're refusing to understand what I mean by false claim then I can't do anything to help you figure it out. Please forget that I ever used the term so that we can both get on with our lives.

Hue-man, lets think about this. When people disagree with you, it could be that they are "refusing to understand." It could be that you have not expressed yourself clearly. It could also be that you are wrong.

To accuse someone of "refusing to understand" without carefully addressing their counter arguments to your proposition is not acceptable in rational discourse. Go back to the argument. Refute it by rational discourse, if you can. Or refine your position in light of what the discussion has revealed.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 10:34 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;47001 wrote:
WLSleeth

Must reflect on this, at this stage I cant see how you can empirically prove a negativity

Well, you are mixing up two different things again, but calling them the same thing.

Why not stop referring to any testable situation as "proving negativity," that is what is causing the problem sorting this out. Let's examine how a proof goes.

First of all, the need for a proof begins with a statement about reality . . . no statement, no need for a proof.

Second, today we more or less accept empiricism as the standard for proof. We may use the term "proof" in law, where we allow circumstantial evidence to be labeled a proof; however, it is really a "common sense" assumption (discussed below), and no true empiricist would allow such a standard to be called a formal proof.

Third, there are two and only two recognized forms of proof allowed under the empirical standard: observation and tautologies. That is, if we can set up a situation to observe the actually of a statement, then that is considered a proof; any statement where the truth is contained with the statement is also a proof, such as the tautology, "all dogs are white, he is a dog, therefore he is white."

Obviously, a tautology is only proof its internal logic is correct, and not necessarily that the statement itself proves anything about reality. The advantage of the tautology only comes about when the premises are true, because then (if its logic is correct), the conclusion must be true. Of course, mathematics makes full use of tautological proofs.

Fourth, since we are discussing an empirical proof, after a statement is made we determine if its assertion can be observed, and this seems to be where you are confused:

It is only whether or not an assertion can be observed that matters.

So if you say a weasel is in your pocket, and I have access to your looking into your pocket, then I can prove your statement true or false. However, if you say a weasel was in Caesar's pocket as he crossed the river, then I can not prove it true OR false; all I can say is, as was Hue-man's point, that it is improper to claim something is definitely true which we cannot confirm.

The concept of "negative proof" came up due to the very common practice in debates of claiming things like God doesn't exist because one can't prove it (arguments made in the last elections in the US were packed with this and other fallacies). There, one assumes something is untrue when it can't be observed, yet lots of things might be true which we can't observe (such as the Big Bang). The fallacy of the negative proof just means, assuming the negative of what you claim is true because the positive assertion can't be proven; that's how the term "negative" got hooked up with proof.

Two posts ago you also said:

Quote:
Consider the extinction of the Yellow River dolphin. Pretty well all areas in which that animal can exist are under constant observation by a very large population that has the means to report its existence. So we can safely say that it no longer exists.

Now here you seem to be mixing up a two things again, the ideas of a formal proof and the "common sense" assumption (which some, like juries and judges, call a proof). For practical purposes we might assume there are no more Yellow River dolphins, but that is quite different from claiming it's empirically proven there are none. As long as we are unable to observe all places at once where Yellow River dolphins might exist, then one may yet exist; this has in fact happened, like when we discovered a living coelacanth: YouTube - prehistoric fish

Of course we assume things for practical purposes all the time, if we didn't we get far less accomplished (a lot of criminals would not be in jail, for example).

To avoid confusion in discussions such as these, all we really need do is keep it clear in our heads what a formal empirical proof is, what the negative proof logic fallacy is, and when we are assuming something is true for common sense purposes. Smile
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 01:51 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
WLSleeth

Is not the impossibility already proven? That is, is, in case x, y will not happen; in case z, y will not happen; nor will it in cases a, b, c, and so on ad infinitum.

In other words, say the impossibility is: The Universe does not exist.
Well, the Universe is existing now, and...now, and now and now and (wait for it) now (and so forth), so while it is impossible to prove the negative "The Universe does not exist" it is possible to prove its antonym: It is impossible that the Universe not exist. Thus (and I know this is being horribly constructivist) looking at negatives as negatives makes any empirical statement impossible to prove, looking at it in the converse, as positive impossibilities, is easily provable.

Neg: This statement is not B.S.
Pos. Imp. It is impossible that this statement be B.S.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@hue-man,
It sometimes rains in January , it often rained in march , it seldom rains in August it always rains in December. it never rains in February

Does this prove that it never rains in February?

Was the never nothing??
0 Replies