Proving a negative

LWSleeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@ACB,
ACB;45225 wrote:
Going back to Dichanthelium's post at #58, my point is related to that. I understand you (hue-man) to be saying that a claim that is unverified but verifiable in principle may be true or false, but a claim that is unverifiable in principle is always false.

I know you are writing hue-man, but I want to answer one thing you said in regard to his logic. You said, "a claim that is unverified but verifiable in principle may be true or false, but a claim that is unverifiable in principle is always false," but the correct statement is: a claim that is unverified but verifiable in principle may be true or false, AND a claim that is unverifiable in principle may also be true or false.

It is a logic fallacy, formally known as argumentum ad ignorantiam (argument to ignorance), to insist or even imply something is false if it is unverifiable. So if someone claims God exists, and it is unverifiable, the proper conclusion to draw from that statement is that God's existence is unverifiable, and not that it proves there is no God.

It is also a logical fallacy, argumentum ad logicam (argument to logic) to claim something is false because the argument supporting it is fallacious. So, for example, if a religious person makes a false argument in support of God, the proper conclusion is that his argument is false, not that there is no God.

Unfortunately, the author of this thread not only commits both fallacies, he attempts full-blown arguments based on them. A quick review of the logic fallacies, such as those found in the links below, might be in order.

Fallacies
Logical Fallacies and the Art of Debate
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:57 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:

In the thirteenth century the Italian Franciscan monk, Bonaventura, stated in his famous The Mind's Road to God, "It happens that we may contemplate God not only outside of us but also within us." Walter Hilton, an English religious of the fourteenth century explained in The Scale of Perfection that, ". . . [union] is in the heart alone; it is without words, and is accompanied by great peace and tranquility of body and soul." The French Carmelite monastic, Brother Lawrence, wrote in the seventeenth century in his Spiritual Maxims, "Actual union is . . . livelier than that of fire and more luminous than a sun undarkened by a cloud. . . . it is an ineffable state of the soul-gentle, peaceful, devout, respectful, humble, loving and very simple." Finally, a report of how the union experience appeared to Julian of Norwich, a fourteenth century English Nun, "And then the Lord opened my ghostly eye and shewed my soul in the midst of my heart. I saw the Soul as it were an endless world, and as it were a blissful kingdom."

Those inner practitioners and a great many others I could list spent years practicing, so do you think you can just bounce around without any practice and expect to experience what the expertly practiced do? First learn to still your mind and feel your core, see what you detect, and then report back to us whether or not you've perceived something omnipresent.

Okay, I'll take a bite at this one cuz it's just so darn silly. If you are going to consider the witness of those people you listed as being evidence of omnipresence, will you consider the witness of anyone who claims to have done the same exercise as them but have had no such omnipresent experience as evidence that there is no omnipresence? I mean, you're treating this like it's some sort of experiment, so why discount anyone's results? We can reasonably assume that the vast majority of people who have attempted to experience omnipresence have failed, but they don't widely report such because who ever reports a failure to reach God? So if 100 people try to experience omnipresence the same way, but only one reports success, shouldn't we consider the experiment a failure? All you're telling us by the above examples is that we should take more unverifiable evidence as proof of God. Sorry but that doesn't even work for me and I'm a theist. You can't possibly expect an atheist to take this stuff seriously.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 01:20 am
@Solace,
Solace;45231 wrote:
Okay, I'll take a bite at this one cuz it's just so darn silly.

Make your case clearly and with evidence. What EXACTLY is silly? If you can explain why with facts and logic, I'll accept your point of view.

Solace;45231 wrote:
If you are going to consider the witness of those people you listed as being evidence of omnipresence, will you consider the witness of anyone who claims to have done the same exercise as them but have had no such omnipresent experience as evidence that there is no omnipresence?

Of course! Let's hear your list. I am ready to supply two dozen practitioners (and more if you insist) in support of my contentions. Let's hear about just one person who specifically states he/she attempted union and got nothing out of it.

I will be patiently waiting for your list of ONE . . . after all, I am sure you would not tease us with promises of a list of all those people who've tried and failed unless you had at least one, solitary, single person to quote who supports your position. Right?

Solace;45231 wrote:
I mean, you're treating this like it's some sort of experiment, so why discount anyone's results?

I would never do that, so let's see your results.

Solace;45231 wrote:
We can reasonably assume that the vast majority of people who have attempted to experience omnipresence have failed, but they don't widely report such because who ever reports a failure to reach God?

Ohhhhhhhh, now I see. You don't actually have any evidence, you are merely assuming. Did I make an argument on assumptions? Or, did I list reports?

Solace;45231 wrote:
So if 100 people try to experience omnipresence the same way, but only one reports success, shouldn't we consider the experiment a failure?.

Well, first show me the 100 people who tried but failed. I don't want to "assume" but I doubt you can give me one single name.

However, even if you could give me 100 people who tried and failed, that doesn't mean the experience of omnipresence is not possible. Thomas Edison tried many times to find an element that would illuminate in the light bulb without burning out. Trying and failing doesn't mean someone can't do it if they find the right formula.

Solace;45231 wrote:
All you're telling us by the above examples is that we should take more unverifiable evidence as proof of God. Sorry but that doesn't even work for me and I'm a theist. You can't possibly expect an atheist to take this stuff seriously.

Whose post did you read?????? I said no such thing. I simply pointed out that Hue-man's arguments were fallacious. I personally don't believe any logic can prove or disprove God to others; each person must experience and know for him/herself.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:12 am
@hue-man,
LWS,

You have accounts from two dozen practitioners that they succeeded at an experiment that they cannot even provide evidence for that they attempted, let alone succeeded. You're playing around with metaphysics and treating it like it's physics and then saying to the OP, there, this disproves your argument.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side in this overall debate. I also believe that you can't prove or disprove God. But for the same reasons I would say that you can't prove or disprove the presence of omniscience. What you have is witnesses of an omniscient experience whose witness cannot be accounted. Nor can it be accepted, because they were already predisposed to the result that they achieved before they began.

Now I agree that the OP shouldn't base his dismissal of omnipresence on the problem that he has not experienced such. But I do think that he has presented a better reason to dismiss it than the reason that you have presented not to dismiss it. This whole bit about clearing your mind and opening yourself up to the universe just throws your argument into the realm of mysticism and completely away from the logic that you are striving for.

You did a much better job of presenting a logical argument in post #61 above. Kudos for that.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@Solace,
Solace;45308 wrote:
You did a much better job of presenting a logical argument in post #61 above. Kudos for that.

Thank you. And let me say I appreciate your efforts at a reasoned argument; but I must also add that your arguments below are either not about anything I said or they violate the rules of sound epistemology. I'll explain (I hope you don't mind I've altered the order of your comments to help me answer them more logically).

Solace;45308 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side in this overall debate. I also believe that you can't prove or disprove God. But for the same reasons I would say that you can't prove or disprove the presence of omniscience.

I wonder, are you confusing omniscience with omnipresence? I hesitate to answer you any further (though I'm going to) until I know if we are discussing the same thing. If you really mean omniscience, then I might agree with much of your responses to me since I have never heard of the inner practitioners I mentioned claiming they had experienced some sort all-knowingness. Beyond that, how would one know one is experiencing all that is known (plus, I personally don't see how there can be such a thing as all-knowingness anyway since it seems to me that even if there is some sort of creative force, it has been learning as it helped develop creation and therefore is not omniscient).

However, keep in mind in what follows that I am talking about experiencing omnipresence, not omniscience. And I'll go a bit further to explain first what I mean by omnipresence. It results after attaining "union" during meditation, and then one experiences a sense that one has joined a huge mind that is present everywhere. After years of practice, this sense can become a permanent part of one's conscious experience.

Solace;45308 wrote:
You have accounts from two dozen practitioners that they succeeded at an experiment that they cannot even provide evidence for that they attempted, let alone succeeded.

What is evidence? An observation or report by a conscious human being is evidence; in fact, in some way or another everything that exists can be evidence for something. But we are talking here about how we, as conscious beings, treat reports of witnesses who are relying on their own conscious experience to perceive and report.

You likely have heard the point that all experience is subjective; that is, each observer sees or hears or tastes within, and no one can see or experience precisely what another person does. So even observations about external events are taken from the internal workings of human consciousness we have no access to.

You say, "they cannot even provide evidence for that they attempted, let alone succeeded." According to that logic, we must deny any sort of inner life that can't be proven. Forget about omnipresence for a minute, and let's use love. Can you prove there is an experience called love? If someone you are talking to has never felt it, and since you cannot put it on the table for him to see, are we then justified in "dismissing" your claim that there is an experience of love?

See, there are two sorts of experiential proofs, not one.

1) There is the experiential proof we establish by setting up a situation where others can observe (experience) what you have observed. This is the basis of empirical proofs.

2) Then there is the type of experiential proof you'd have to offer the person wanting to know if there is such a thing as the experience of love. That proof is not externalizable, he can only prove it by experiencing love within himself.

Is the experience of love any less a part of reality than the experience of a planet because it can't be externalized?

Solace;45308 wrote:
You're playing around with metaphysics and treating it like it's physics and then saying to the OP, there, this disproves your argument.

I didn't say it disproves (or proves) anything. I said his arguments were fallacious, and that he ignores a class of evidence which is associated with reports of the omnipresent experience. I also could have listed people who take peyote, who regularly report that sort of experience. Are they hallucinating? Are they separating from their bodies a bit? Are they deluded? Have they actually joined with some larger realm of consciousness as some seem to think? Neither you nor anybody else knows the reason behind such reports because nobody knows all there is to know about consciousness potentials.

Also, my point was not about metaphysics. It was people who develop their consciousness in a very specific way, and what some of them report. It is you who has decided some metaphysical conclusion is to be extracted from those reports.

What you are really doing is drawing an arbitrary line between types of experience, and then (it seems to me) equally arbitrarily deciding one category of experience is to be trusted, and the other is not (or at least is not compatible with logic). In past debates I've had with people whose philosophy is physicalist, they have often insisted only physical epistemology (like empiricism) is valid. How very convenient it is to one's personal philosophy to "dismiss" anything that doesn't agree with their a priori belief system. I am not saying you are doing that, but if you are it is bad logic and bad epistemology.

What is empiricism suited for? The study of the physical world. What is the orientation of one's attention? Outward, away from oneself. What experience is relied on to observe? The senses.

What is union meditation suited for? The study of what is behind the senses. What is the orientation of one's attention? Inward, actually withdrawn from the senses and focused toward the source of consciousness. What experience is relied on to observe? Well, you'll have to practice to find out.

I love both sorts of experiential study, and actively participate in both. I do not get confused about what types of knowledge they give, I don't mix the two at all.

Solace;45308 wrote:
What you have is witnesses of an omniscient experience whose witness cannot be accounted. Nor can it be accepted, because they were already predisposed to the result that they achieved before they began.

How do you know they were predisposed? It is you who is trying to predispose the results by prejudicing our evaluation of their reports. What possible reason could you have for discounting their reports out of hand unless you have simply decided a priori all such reports are suspect?

Solace;45308 wrote:
Now I agree that the OP shouldn't base his dismissal of omnipresence on the problem that he has not experienced such. But I do think that he has presented a better reason to dismiss it than the reason that you have presented not to dismiss it.
Solace;45308 wrote:
This whole bit about clearing your mind and opening yourself up to the universe just throws your argument into the realm of mysticism and completely away from the logic that you are striving for.

Nonsense. Why do you, or anyone, get to say we cannot discuss ALL the potentials of consciousness . . . merely because you aren't interested? Because you've decided in advance you don't believe in such things? Because you already know the Truth?

I didn't say anything about "opening up to the universe." I talked about turning one's attention inward, and practicing in a very specific way. Those who've become skilled at this discover things anyone who doesn't practice cannot discover. So on what basis do you eliminate these people from consideration as explorers of reality, as discoverers of knowledge? Physical study isn't the only thing that can benefit from reason, and sense experience isn't the only kind of experience humankind has explored.
Solace

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 07:29 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
I wonder, are you confusing omniscience with omnipresence?

It's not so much that I was confusing the two, because I do know the difference, but that I mixed the two up while writing that last post. Yes, I should have used omnipresence in each case that I used omniscience. My apologies for my carelessness and any confusion that it caused.

LWSleeth wrote:
Can you prove there is an experience called love? If someone you are talking to has never felt it, and since you cannot put it on the table for him to see, are we then justified in "dismissing" your claim that there is an experience of love?

LWSleeth wrote:
2) Then there is the type of experiential proof you'd have to offer the person wanting to know if there is such a thing as the experience of love. That proof is not externalizable, he can only prove it by experiencing love within himself.

But you can demonstrably show that you do love someone. Given such, others can reasonably conclude that you have experienced love. But how would one demonstrably show that they have experienced omnipresence?

LWSleeth wrote:
I didn't say it disproves (or proves) anything. I said his arguments were fallacious,

Isn't that the same thing though? How could his argument be anything but disproven if it is proven to be fallacious? A fallacious argument is logically unsound. Well, how can a logical argument not be disproven if it is proven to be logically unsound?

LWSleeth wrote:
Also, my point was not about metaphysics. It was people who develop their consciousness in a very specific way, and what some of them report. It is you who has decided some metaphysical conclusion is to be extracted from those reports.

I assumed we were talking about the metaphysical when it comes to people expanding their minds beyond what most others would consider physical reality. If I was wrong about that then I apologize again. But if the experiences reported were not metaphysical, what were they? I'd love to know, because if they weren't metaphysical then I'm at a loss to explain them.

LWSleeth wrote:
What you are really doing is drawing an arbitrary line between types of experience, and then (it seems to me) equally arbitrarily deciding one category of experience is to be trusted, and the other is not (or at least is not compatible with logic). In past debates I've had with people whose philosophy is physicalist, they have often insisted only physical epistemology (like empiricism) is valid. How very convenient it is to one's personal philosophy to "dismiss" anything that doesn't agree with their a priori belief system. I am not saying you are doing that, but if you are it is bad logic and bad epistemology.

What is empiricism suited for? The study of the physical world. What is the orientation of one's attention? Outward, away from oneself. What experience is relied on to observe? The senses.

What is union meditation suited for? The study of what is behind the senses. What is the orientation of one's attention? Inward, actually withdrawn from the senses and focused toward the source of consciousness. What experience is relied on to observe? Well, you'll have to practice to find out.

I love both sorts of experiential study, and actively participate in both. I do not get confused about what types of knowledge they give, I don't mix the two at all.

I think that the empiricist would say that it is "convenient" that you cannot provide empirical proof. I think also that the empericists problem with experiental evidence is that there's no way of knowing if the witness is being honest. But I'll give what I can, since, as I said before, I am on your side of the overall debate. Even considering solely experiental evidence, I think the distinction between the questions about love and omnipresence is that love is demonstrable, but omnipresence, to my knowledge at least, isn't. If it were then that'd be cool.

LWSleeth wrote:
How do you know they were predisposed? It is you who is trying to predispose the results by prejudicing our evaluation of their reports. What possible reason could you have for discounting their reports out of hand unless you have simply decided a priori all such reports are suspect?

Well, I made my assertion that they were predisposed to finding omnipresence because, as you explain,

LWSleeth wrote:
It results after attaining "union" during meditation, and then one experiences a sense that one has joined a huge mind that is present everywhere. After years of practice, this sense can become a permanent part of one's conscious experience.

This doesn't sound easy or quick. It sounds like it would take an awful long time and a whole lot of effort. I find it unlikely that a spiritually neutral person would put such time and effort into it. If you can find an example where one of the witnesses claims that before their omnipresent experience they had no preinclination to believe in omnipresence, or more directly, anything spiritual, then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are being honest and I will gladly withdraw my accusation.

LWSleeth wrote:
But sir, he has presented no reason whatsoever to "dismiss" anything. If we are going to be logically prudent, then the best his reasoning adds up to is that he has cause not to "believe." In other words, the optimal epistemologically-sound mental state is one of neutrality; if we are really seeking knowledge, the less we think we "know" in advance of study the more open we are to letting reality teach us how it is.

Conversely, the more one "believes, the more one forsakes the discovery process because one deserts experience as the avenue to belief in order to substitute a mental construct. Now, rather than paying attention to reality and allowing the experience of reality to shape our views, a conceptual framework is in place which filters and twists information so that the settled-on mental edifice is maintained.

I agree completely that he shouldn't dismiss anything. But the article did contain the writer's reason for why he dismissed omnipresence. It may not be all that good a reason to you, but it was there.

LWSleeth wrote:
Nonsense. Why do you, or anyone, get to say we cannot discuss ALL the potentials of consciousness . . . merely because you aren't interested? Because you've decided in advance you don't believe in such things? Because you already know the Truth?

I didn't say anything about "opening up to the universe." I talked about turning one's attention inward, and practicing in a very specific way. Those who've become skilled at this discover things anyone who doesn't practice cannot discover. So on what basis do you eliminate these people from consideration as explorers of reality, as discoverers of knowledge? Physical study isn't the only thing that can benefit from reason, and sense experience isn't the only kind of experience humankind has explored.

I can only ask you one question as it pertains to these claims about omnipresence; have you experienced it?
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:42 pm
@Solace,
Solace;45402 wrote:
But you can demonstrably show that you do love someone. Given such, others can reasonably conclude that you have experienced love. But how would one demonstrably show that they have experienced omnipresence?

You've probably heard of the zombie argument (the p-zombie concept David Chalmers made popular), and that could apply here in a way. A person could merely behave as though they love, but not actually feel it (or as Chalmers might say, lack qualia). That really happens in fact when a gold digger wants to marry someone rich, or molester wants to take advantage of children, etc. Whether the experience of love is going on is only actually known by the individual him/herself. The truth is, there is no external way I know of to prove someone else genuinely experiences love.

Solace;45402 wrote:
Isn't that the same thing though? How could his argument be anything but disproven if it is proven to be fallacious? A fallacious argument is logically unsound. Well, how can a logical argument not be disproven if it is proven to be logically unsound?

No, they are completely different things. His argument is invalid, but his overall point about omnipresence is not disproved. If I meant his point was disproved, I'd be violating the fallacy I listed in my last post, the argument to logic. God is not proven because of an improper atheistic argument, atheism isn't proven because of a bad God argument.

Do you understand I am not trying to claim the omnipresent experience is a fact (or provable)? I am attacking Hue-man's logic and use of facts; specifically, that he argues fallaciously, and that his choice of facts is selective of that which helps his point, and excludes what might challenge his point. It is clear to me at least that he has a belief system firmly in place, and he is arguing to further his anti-religion agenda rather than using reason to discover/reveal truth, no matter what that turns out to be.

Solace;45402 wrote:
I assumed we were talking about the metaphysical when it comes to people expanding their minds beyond what most others would consider physical reality. If I was wrong about that then I apologize again. But if the experiences reported were not metaphysical, what were they? I'd love to know, because if they weren't metaphysical then I'm at a loss to explain them.

A metaphysical proposition will offer some model for the nature of reality. I might develop some ideas on that from experiences of omnipresence, but then that would be a different discussion. But if I experience omnipresence, and instead of trying to say what it means about the nature of existence, I simply report what the experience is like, then I am giving testimony as a witness and not philosophizing on metaphysics.

Solace;45402 wrote:
I think that the empiricist would say that it is "convenient" that you cannot provide empirical proof. I think also that the empericists problem with experiental evidence is that there's no way of knowing if the witness is being honest. But I'll give what I can, since, as I said before, I am on your side of the overall debate. Even considering solely experiental evidence, I think the distinction between the questions about love and omnipresence is that love is demonstrable, but omnipresence, to my knowledge at least, isn't. If it were then that'd be cool.

By "empiricist" I assume you mean someone who only accepts science-verified facts. A better term for that persuasion is "scientismist" (i.e., a scientism believer). Such a thinker by his own admission has decided to be open to only information that comes via sense experience (the basis of empiricism), and to be closed to all else. So why should we care what anyone with a filtering belief system in place finds "convenient"?

My example of "convenience" to you was about just such thinkers, people who believe they know the way to the truth, and so create filters to "conveniently" exclude anything that doesn't fit their beliefs. I, on the other hand, have no such filtering belief system, I'll accept anything that produces knowledge, I don't give a rat's behind what form it takes. So I fully accept and treasure all that science reveals . . . FULLY. I don't believe however (unlike scientismists) that science has proven it can reveal all knowable truths. As far as I've seen, science reveals physical information, period.

Solace;45402 wrote:
This doesn't sound easy or quick. It sounds like it would take an awful long time and a whole lot of effort. I find it unlikely that a spiritually neutral person would put such time and effort into it. If you can find an example where one of the witnesses claims that before their omnipresent experience they had no preinclination to believe in omnipresence, or more directly, anything spiritual, then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they are being honest and I will gladly withdraw my accusation.

Well, how am I going to interview dead people (since those I quoted are long gone)? But your "accusation" is unwarranted. You should accuse because you do have evidence of something. It is slanderous to accuse people of something because there is no evidence proving it isn't so.

Solace;45402 wrote:
I agree completely that he shouldn't dismiss anything. But the article did contain the writer's reason for why he dismissed omnipresence. It may not be all that good a reason to you, but it was there.

But this is horrible philosophy! What's the point of signing up for philosophical discussion if any old reason is acceptable??? Philosophy is supposed to be the search for truth through reason, and reason has rules. And those rules are not just proper logic (which Hue-man violates), but also an unbiased, factually balanced presentation of what we are to consider. I'd add one more requirement not normally mentioned, and that is sincerity, because without sincerity philosophy becomes sophistry. I can say that in this regard Socrates and I are kindred spirits, I detest with all my being sophist manipulations.

Solace;45402 wrote:
I can only ask you one question as it pertains to these claims about omnipresence; have you experienced it?

Well, I worry I'll sound proud for talking about it, but as of December 2008, I have practiced union meditation daily, normally for an hour at dawn, for 35 years. Before that, I admit to doing something like 200 peyote trips which I suspect is what made me look for a natural way to achieve the expanded experience (i.e., without drugs).

I had my first omnipresent experience in union meditation within the first year of practice; now it is a permanent part of my conscious life. While I value that aspect of the union experience, after so many years I've grown used to it and now enjoy some of the far better stuff it gives.

But I have to add, if you read back you will see I have not been trying to promote the experience. Unless I start a thread to expressly discuss union, my goals are to promote open-mindedness about what we allow as ways to discovery and knowing.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:57 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
1. I understand 'atheist' to mean someone who believes that God does not exist. You are using the term to mean someone who does not believe that God exists. OK, in the latter sense a wavering agnostic is an atheist. But lack of belief in God's existence does not logically entail belief in his non-existence. I want a term that refers to people who cannot form a positive belief either way. If I do not believe that it rained in London on 1st July 1329 (because I have no evidence either way), it does not follow that I believe it did not rain in London on that date. I can perfectly well have neither the belief that it did nor the belief that it didn't. Similarly with belief in God; I can be agnostic in my sense of the word. 'If X is not the case, then not-X is the case' is valid; but 'If I do not believe X, then I believe not-X' is invalid.

2. You say agnosticism is an epistemological claim. Well, not necessarily. If someone says 'We cannot know whether God exists', that is epistemological and (I admit) weakly atheistic. But 'God may or may not exist' is a statement about God, not about knowledge per se; hence it is metaphysical, not epistemological.

A distinction is usually made between "weak" and "strong" atheism. Weak atheism is: I do not believe that God exists. ~BG. Strong atheism is: I believe that God does not exist. B~G.

"God may or may not exist" is, I think, an epistemic claim. It has to do with evidence, and it says that the evidence is not decisive either way. The metaphysical claim would be, God exists or God does not exist.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:38 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
You've probably heard of the zombie argument (the p-zombie concept David Chalmers made popular), and that could apply here in a way. A person could merely behave as though they love, but not actually feel it (or as Chalmers might say, lack qualia). That really happens in fact when a gold digger wants to marry someone rich, or molester wants to take advantage of children, etc. Whether the experience of love is going on is only actually known by the individual him/herself. The truth is, there is no external way I know of to prove someone else genuinely experiences love.

The thing about this is that most of us do experience love for ourselves. So that when we see someone behaving in a loving manner, we see this as a demonstration of that person's experience. Of course we will be wrong about particular cases, such as gold diggers and what not, but usually what we're seeing demonstarted is in fact a show of genuine feelings of love. But most of us don't experience omnipresence for ourselves. So for those that do (assuming they do, that is,) even if their behaviour were to demonstrate it, how would most of us really be able to tell anyway?

LWSleeth wrote:
No, they are completely different things. His argument is invalid, but his overall point about omnipresence is not disproved. If I meant his point was disproved, I'd be violating the fallacy I listed in my last post, the argument to logic. God is not proven because of an improper atheistic argument, atheism isn't proven because of a bad God argument.

Do you understand I am not trying to claim the omnipresent experience is a fact (or provable)? I am attacking Hue-man's logic and use of facts; specifically, that he argues fallaciously, and that his choice of facts is selective of that which helps his point, and excludes what might challenge his point. It is clear to me at least that he has a belief system firmly in place, and he is arguing to further his anti-religion agenda rather than using reason to discover/reveal truth, no matter what that turns out to be.

I must admit that I don't really see a difference between claiming that an argument is fallacious and just saying that it is disproven. But my failure to understand does not fault your explanation. You've done a worthy job of it. It's a very fine point, I think, perhaps too fine for my tired mind to comprehend at this late an hour.

LWSleeth wrote:
A metaphysical proposition will offer some model for the nature of reality. I might develop some ideas on that from experiences of omnipresence, but then that would be a different discussion. But if I experience omnipresence, and instead of trying to say what it means about the nature of existence, I simply report what the experience is like, then I am giving testimony as a witness and not philosophizing on metaphysics.

I see, so you're saying that what is being witnessed is a (potential, at least) facet of reality, and thus not metaphysical but physical. (Forgive me for putting words in your mouth, but I think that is what you were saying. If not, please correct me.) I think for the witnesses to claim this as having any part in reality though, they should be able to support such. I don't doubt it felt real to them, but as for whether or not it was real... well, I'll just let it go at that.

LWSleeth wrote:
By "empiricist" I assume you mean someone who only accepts science-verified facts. A better term for that persuasion is "scientismist" (i.e., a scientism believer). Such a thinker by his own admission has decided to be open to only information that comes via sense experience (the basis of empiricism), and to be closed to all else. So why should we care what anyone with a filtering belief system in place finds "convenient"?

My example of "convenience" to you was about just such thinkers, people who believe they know the way to the truth, and so create filters to "conveniently" exclude anything that doesn't fit their beliefs. I, on the other hand, have no such filtering belief system, I'll accept anything that produces knowledge, I don't give a rat's behind what form it takes. So I fully accept and treasure all that science reveals . . . FULLY. I don't believe however (unlike scientismists) that science has proven it can reveal all knowable truths. As far as I've seen, science reveals physical information, period.

I've got nothing really to argue with here.

LWSleeth wrote:
Well, how am I going to interview dead people (since those I quoted are long gone)? But your "accusation" is unwarranted. You should accuse because you do have evidence of something. It is slanderous to accuse people of something because there is no evidence proving it isn't so.

Let's not get too technical about language please. I know I used the term accusation first, but I'd hoped you wouldn't take that to some sort of legal level. I'm not slandering anyone by saying that I believe that they were predisposed to a positive outcome when they attempted an omnipresent experience. I may be wrong in that assumption, but being wrong about something doesn't make it slander. In fact, it would be more reasonable to presume that I am being slanderous if I were to claim that I believe that they were not predisposed to a positive outcome. That sort of claim could easily suggest that I believed they were not spiritually inclined individuals, which I suspect they might very well have taken offense to, particularly since all of the witnesses you listed were religious people, including two monks and a nun.

LWSleeth wrote:
But this is horrible philosophy! What's the point of signing up for philosophical discussion if any old reason is acceptable??? Philosophy is supposed to be the search for truth through reason, and reason has rules. And those rules are not just proper logic (which Hue-man violates), but also an unbiased, factually balanced presentation of what we are to consider. I'd add one more requirement not normally mentioned, and that is sincerity, because without sincerity philosophy becomes sophistry. I can say that in this regard Socrates and I are kindred spirits, I detest with all my being sophist manipulations.

Is it really that horrible? He had a point, however poorly made, that he has not felt God's presence so therefore he doubts God's omnipresence. Naturally several questions spring to your mind and mine, such as, does he really understand what omnipresence is and would he even know that he felt God's presence if he felt it? But that doesn't change that, from a certain point of view at least, (his certainly,) his is a logical point.

Yes, the article is one sided, no doubt about it. And there's really no excuse for it. But somehow I doubt that Richard Carrier (the author of the article) is considered by many to be a great philosopher anyway. His article amounted to more of a rant than philosophy in my opinion.

LWSleeth wrote:
Well, I worry I'll sound proud for talking about it, but as of December 2008, I have practiced union meditation daily, normally for an hour at dawn, for 35 years. Before that, I admit to doing something like 200 peyote trips which I suspect is what made me look for a natural way to achieve the expanded experience (i.e., without drugs).

I had my first omnipresent experience in union meditation within the first year of practice; now it is a permanent part of my conscious life. While I value that aspect of the union experience, after so many years I've grown used to it and now enjoy some of the far better stuff it gives.

But I have to add, if you read back you will see I have not been trying to promote the experience. Unless I start a thread to expressly discuss union, my goals are to promote open-mindedness about what we allow as ways to discovery and knowing.

Fair enough. To tell the truth I'd be far more interested in hearing what someone who is alive and can answer queries has to say about it, rather than someone who is, as you pointed out, long dead. If you ever decide to start a thread about it, I'll be sure to read it with interest. Thanks for sharing; I've enjoyed the discourse.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:58 am
@hue-man,
hue-man,

I can see your dilemma in explaining or even stating a negative.

Take this statement, If all existence is removed "we are left with nothing"

Using the adjective Left this is wrong!! how can one be left with absolutely nothing.

Language does not allow us to truly describe nothingness

The absence of everything . . . . . ? ?
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:59 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Okay, I just want to try to focus on one concept at a time, if you don't mind. I'm not trying to prove anything about "God." I just want to understand what you are saying.

You are saying that, in fact, you don't "always consider a claim to be false until is verified." I thought you made previous assertions to the contrary, so that helps me understand that much.

So, it would appear that you would agree that a claim is not necessarily false merely by virtue of its being unverified.

I think you are saying that unverified claims in certain categories are necessarily false, merely by virtue of their unverifiability. Other unverified claims in other categories may or may not be false, merely by virtue of their unverifiability.

Am I understanding you correctly up to this point?

You almost have me understood. What I am saying is that a claim is not false merely because it hasn't been verified, but it must be verifiable. If a claim is unverifiable then yes, it is a false claim.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:07 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
If a claim is unverifiable then yes, it is a false claim.

Take the claim that Julius Caesar sneezed just before he crossed the Rubicon. No one can verify it. Is it false? How on earth would anyone know that. Now take the claim that there are an odd number of grains of sand on Wakiki Beach in Hawaii. Can that be verified? Is it false? For all we know it might be true.
ACB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Take the claim that Julius Caesar sneezed just before he crossed the Rubicon. No one can verify it. Is it false? How on earth would anyone know that. Now take the claim that there are an odd number of grains of sand on Wakiki Beach in Hawaii. Can that be verified? Is it false? For all we know it might be true.

Yes, that is exactly my point. I suppose the second claim can theoretically be verified, but the first cannot. See my post #60.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:45 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Yes, that is exactly my point. I suppose the second claim can theoretically be verified, but the first cannot. See my post #60.

What is your point? I thought it was that what is unverifiable is false. But that is clearly false, for I have given two examples of unverifiable statement which might, very well, be true.

Your view is just the fallacy of, argument from ignorance.
ACB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:59 am
@kennethamy,
You are confusing me with hue-man! I have been arguing against his point. I agree with you on this; see my earlier post.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

If it cannot be verified then it is false to claim that he sneezed just before he crossed Rubicon. If you claim that he did sneeze before crossing Rubicon then the burden of proof is on you.

A claim is either true or false. If you have no real evidence to support a claim then it is a false claim, because it is baseless. Henceforth, the claim is false until it is proven otherwise.

What the hell is so hard to understand about that?
ACB

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:46 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
If it cannot be verified then it is false to claim that he sneezed just before he crossed Rubicon. If you claim that he did sneeze before crossing Rubicon then the burden of proof is on you.

Hue-man, are you saying that 'he sneezed' and 'he didn't sneeze' are both false if neither can be verified? Isn't that logically impossible? (Bear in mind that Julius Caesar actually did cross the Rubicon.)
hue-man

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:06 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Hue-man, are you saying that 'he sneezed' and 'he didn't sneeze' are both false if neither can be verified? Isn't that logically impossible? (Bear in mind that Julius Caesar actually did cross the Rubicon.)

I'm going to make a few more attempts to help you guys understand me. I apologize if I seem obscure in my explanation, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible. What I am saying is that to claim that Caesar sneezed or didn't sneeze when he crossed the Rubicon are both false claims, because there is no evidence whatsoever to support such claims. I am not saying that it didn't happen. A claim is a statement of knowledge, and so I am saying that it is false to claim that he did or didn't sneeze.
Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:43 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I'm going to make a few more attempts to help you guys understand me. I apologize if I seem obscure in my explanation, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible. What I am saying is that to claim that Caesar sneezed or didn't sneeze when he crossed the Rubicon are both false claims, because there is no evidence whatsoever to support such claims. I am not saying that it didn't happen. A claim is a statement of knowledge, and so I am saying that it is false to claim that he did or didn't sneeze.

What if I make the claim, "It's possible that Julius Caesar sneezed, etc."?

Is that a true or false claim?
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:37 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;45532 wrote:

Well, I understand you perfectly, but you are not being consistent in your propositions. It is a different issue to say any statement that cannot be verified is false, and to say (as you now are saying) a statement that claims some definite event occurred is false if it can't be verified. However, you are wrong on both counts.

The term false either means not true or (in logic) it could mean improperly structured. In the statements offered by Kennethamy about "Julius Caesar sneezed just before he crossed the Rubicon," the statement is not false because it is unverifiable. What is it then? It is simply unverifiable! It might actually be true, you just have no way of finding out.

Now, if you want to say it is bad thinking or poor logic to claim something true without being able to confirm it, you would be right. So you could say, "the logic is false."

But saying the logic of the statement is false is altogether different from saying the claim of the statement is false because an illogical statement can be true, such as if you ask a man what time is dawn and he answers "that rock over there is gray, so dawn is at 5:12 AM." Since dawn really is at 5:12 AM his claim is true, but his logic is false.

Bottom line, if you do conclude a claim is false because the logic or facts that support the claim is incorrect, it is you in fact who offers false logic because you've either committed the logic fallacy of argument to ignorance or the fallacy of argument to logic.
Read here: Logical Fallacies and the Art of Debate