Proving a negative

ACB

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Do you want God to take away your ability to make your own decisions? Whenever you consider doing something unethical, immoral, harmful, or such, do you want God to interfere in your life and to tell you what you can and can't do?

Yes, most certainly! To wish to be permitted to do something immoral is itself immoral. If someone foresees that they may do harm in the future, they ought to wish to be prevented (by force if necessary) by another person; so why not by God?

Quote:
Do you want God to become the tyrant that you advocate, an omnipotent being who bullies less powerful beings into doing what he feels is right, regardless of what those beings want?

Yes, if those beings are trying to bully me - especially if they are more powerful than I am.

Quote:
But I would not deny myself the knowledge of any sensation, not even the ones I don't like.

Really? Would you set yourself on fire just to learn what it feels like? Presumably not - so where do you draw the line? Why not draw it at zero pain?

Quote:
A willful desire for ignorance of my own self strikes me as remarkably self-defeating... not to mention, dare I say it, illogical.

But if there was no such thing as pain in the first place, there would be no such thing to be ignorant about.
Solace

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 10:22 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
To wish to be permitted to do something immoral is itself immoral.

Is this to suggest that to wish to have no freedom to choose is moral?

ACB wrote:
Yes, if those beings are trying to bully me - especially if they are more powerful than I am.

I see... so what you want then is someone to take care of you, because you're obviously incapable of taking care of yourself. I am beginning to understand now why you don't want be allowed to make your own decisions. Would you like daddy to tie your shoelaces also?

ACB wrote:
Really? Would you set yourself on fire just to learn what it feels like? Presumably not - so where do you draw the line? Why not draw it at zero pain?

And in what manner precisely do you wish you were created so that you could not feel pain? Pain is an extension of the sensation of touch, do you wish to not be able to feel touch also? Personally I rather enjoy the sensation of touch, most of the time anyway, but I can't even begin to imagine how I could experience it if I could not feel pain. Perhaps though you have some advice for God on how he should have created us to feel touch but never know pain?

ACB wrote:
But if there was no such thing as pain in the first place, there would be no such thing to be ignorant about.

Yes, God forbid that we actually know anything either. So far your idea of paradise is turning us into unthinking, unfeeling, unable to do anything for ourselves vegetables. But I suppose I shouldn't criticize; we all have our own idea of what a perfect world be like.
ACB

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:56 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Is this to suggest that to wish to have no freedom to choose is moral?

No. To wish to have freedom to choose from a range of moral (virtuous) or neutral options is moral; to wish to be free to choose an immoral option is immoral. How could it be otherwise?

Why should freedom be absolute? (Actually it can't be - see below.)

Quote:

I see... so what you want then is someone to take care of you, because you're obviously incapable of taking care of yourself. I am beginning to understand now why you don't want be allowed to make your own decisions. Would you like daddy to tie your shoelaces also?

How can someone 'make their own decisions' if they are being coerced by another person or persons? Your argument is self-defeating. And how can a child who is being raped, or a Jew in the gas chambers, or the victim of an earthquake, 'take care of themselves'?

What do you think police forces are for? What are criminal courts for? Why is it OK to be forcibly restrained by human agency, but not by God? Either way, one's freedom is restricted.

Quote:
And in what manner precisely do you wish you were created so that you could not feel pain? Pain is an extension of the sensation of touch, do you wish to not be able to feel touch also? Personally I rather enjoy the sensation of touch, most of the time anyway, but I can't even begin to imagine how I could experience it if I could not feel pain. Perhaps though you have some advice for God on how he should have created us to feel touch but never know pain?

But God is omnipotent! Therefore, as long as touch doesn't require pain as a logical necessity (which it doesn't), God must be capable of creating touch without pain. It's just a matter of designing the nerves so as to limit the maximum intensity of sensation. Not all that difficult, I would have thought. But, as I say, God is omnipotent, so he doesn't need my advice.

Quote:
Yes, God forbid that we actually know anything either. So far your idea of paradise is turning us into unthinking, unfeeling, unable to do anything for ourselves vegetables. But I suppose I shouldn't criticize; we all have our own idea of what a perfect world be like.

This implies that if we don't have total freedom and knowledge, then we don't have any freedom or knowledge. That is plainly false. How much freedom do you want? Freedom to commit murder or genocide? And how much knowledge do you want? Knowledge of what it feels like to be shot, or what it feels like to shoot someone else?

We have no legal right to harm one another, so why should we have a moral right to do so?
Solace

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:00 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
No. To wish to have freedom to choose from a range of moral (virtuous) or neutral options is moral; to wish to be free to choose an immoral option is immoral. How could it be otherwise?

Why should freedom be absolute? (Actually it can't be - see below.)

If you don't have the freedom to make the wrong choice, what morality have you accomplished by making the right one? You can't make a moral choice if every choice is moral. Then it becomes only a choice. Morality then loses all meaning. Why would we wish for a reality in which morality means nothing?

ACB wrote:
How can someone 'make their own decisions' if they are being coerced by another person or persons? Your argument is self-defeating. And how can a child who is being raped, or a Jew in the gas chambers, or the victim of an earthquake, 'take care of themselves'?

And where does divine interference end? Does God interfere if a kid lies to mommy about taking a cookie? Does he interfere if I cheat on my taxes and save myself twenty bucks? How long exactly before we aren't living our own lives but just some mockery of a life that this divine being decides that we live?

ACB wrote:
What do you think police forces are for? What are criminal courts for? Why is it OK to be forcibly restrained by human agency, but not by God? Either way, one's freedom is restricted.

Ya, that's exactly what the police and courts are for. So that we can monitor our own behaviour when it becomes too extreme. But the police and the court have limits on what they can do, how far they can extend their power, in order to protect everyone's rights. Who is going to put a limit on God? If an omnipotent being decides that he is to become both policeman and judge, then we all live in absolute fear. Technically, actually, that is exactly what Christianity tells us that God is, except that our punishment comes after this life. Personally I think that it is ridiculous either way, and it's a horrible thing for anyone to wish God to be.

ACB wrote:
But God is omnipotent! Therefore, as long as touch doesn't require pain as a logical necessity (which it doesn't), God must be capable of creating touch without pain. It's just a matter of designing the nerves so as to limit the maximum intensity of sensation. Not all that difficult, I would have thought. But, as I say, God is omnipotent, so he doesn't need my advice.

And this completely overlooks the fact that pain is a survival mechanism. We know not to get too close to the fire because we feel pain if we burn. Without it we'd all burn to a crisp standing in the sun all day. We know that something is wrong with our bodies when we feel internal pain that we wouldn't normally feel. So then we know to go to a doctor to get the body fixed. I'm sure if you put a little thought into it you can figure out many other uses for pain that are actually good for us.

So, again, what is your suggestion to God? Obviously he does need your advice since you seem to think that pain was a bad invention of his. Should we come with built in alarm systems that beep when we're experiencing something that is harmful to our bodies? Or should God just remake the whole universe so that nothing here is in any way harmful to us?

ACB wrote:
This implies that if we don't have total freedom and knowledge, then we don't have any freedom or knowledge. That is plainly false. How much freedom do you want? Freedom to commit murder or genocide? And how much knowledge do you want? Knowledge of what it feels like to be shot, or what it feels like to shoot someone else?

We have no legal right to harm one another, so why should we have a moral right to do so?

No, what I said implied that we should strive to gain as much freedom and knowledge as we possibly can. Without freedom and knowledge what are we? Just the vegetables that I mentioned. Your problem with God seems to be that he gave us too much of a good thing. You do have a case, but it's not an adequate one. Because personally I think that current reality beats the piss out of what you are suggesting life should be like.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:57 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
1. I understand 'atheist' to mean someone who believes that God does not exist. You are using the term to mean someone who does not believe that God exists. OK, in the latter sense a wavering agnostic is an atheist. But lack of belief in God's existence does not logically entail belief in his non-existence. I want a term that refers to people who cannot form a positive belief either way. If I do not believe that it rained in London on 1st July 1329 (because I have no evidence either way), it does not follow that I believe it did not rain in London on that date. I can perfectly well have neither the belief that it did nor the belief that it didn't. Similarly with belief in God; I can be agnostic in my sense of the word. 'If X is not the case, then not-X is the case' is valid; but 'If I do not believe X, then I believe not-X' is invalid.

2. You say agnosticism is an epistemological claim. Well, not necessarily. If someone says 'We cannot know whether God exists', that is epistemological and (I admit) weakly atheistic. But 'God may or may not exist' is a statement about God, not about knowledge per se; hence it is metaphysical, not epistemological.

Every negative entails a positive. When you say that you do not believe in God you are saying that you are paradoxically saying that you believe (meaning you accept statement as true) that God does not exist. As much as some agnostics desperate try to get around it, the fact is that you really can't. If you lack a belief in a God then you are at least a weak atheist.

The question can easily be answered by asking yourself, 'do I believe in God'. If the answer is no then you are a weak atheist at the very least.

The fact that the existence of such a God is not verifiable by its very nature, renders such a claim to be meaningless and untrue if you're a positivist.

Last but not least, I am saying that agnosticism strictly makes statements about knowing and not knowing, and that is epistemological.

"But 'God may or may not exist' is a statement about God, not about knowledge per se; hence it is metaphysical, not epistemological."

No matter how metaphysical you get, you always have to deal with epistemology. In order to verify a claim about the existence of anything the claim must be verifiable. If it is not verifiable (incapable of knowing) then it is not only unparsimonious, but meaningless.
hue-man

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:05 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Okay, I misunderstood fideism. I think I took it out of context in an earlier use from somewhere in this thread to mean to suggest that it had something to do with political motives.

Anyway, yes, hue-man, you were right to call it fideist faith; my apologies for misunderstanding you. I have no particular qualm with being labeled as fideist, no more a qualm than I do with any other label that might apply anyway. I do, though, disagree that I am religious. Religious is more a state of doing than being, I think. I do nothing that is religious and I think that most religious folk would agree that would make me decidedly not religious. But if you want to call me religious, so be it, I won't argue any further.

Yes, my belief is based in scripture, which is also the source of certain religions' beliefs and, at least partly, their dogma. I won't disagree with that. I just happen to disagree with what they say concerning this scripture. My own views on this scripture and my subsequent views on God don't conform to any religion that I have yet encountered. If I am religious, then, it must be a religion of one and will remain so until I find those that believe what I believe.

You asked,

All knowledge. I don't believe that any of us know anything without God determining that we will know it.

Fair enough. My belief may not be logical then. But I'm not someone who minds that. If logic demands that I must abandon faith, then I will give up on logic. I value faith more than I value logic. That's just what works for me.

I need to prove what I believe? Why? It's only a belief. I'm not proselytizing or trying to pass it off as fact. If I were doing either then naturally I'd need to prove it. But I don't care for facts about God, because facts make belief irrelevant. And I'm not telling you or anyone else that you should believe what I believe. I firmly believe that you should believe precisely what you do believe.

No, I'm not criticizing people for making assumptions concerning God; I'm criticizing the assumption itself, not that somebody made it. You, me, anybody has every right to make an assumption of God or anything else. But whether or not the assumption makes sense to me is another matter, and I see no more hypocrisy in me saying so than in Richard Carrier writing an essay that criticizes an assumption of God.

Funny but I don't feel the least bit embarrassed for my faith. Logic may not be subjective, but embarrassment certainly is. If you find faith or idealism embarrassing then I certainly encourage you not to adopt either. I have no desire for you to be embarrassed.

I should hope so. Shouldn't we have more personal investment in each other's well being than God does? What does he owe us precisely? But we owe each other an awful lot. People need to stop relying on God's benevolence and start giving it to each other.

This same issue was raised in another thread a couple days ago. I'll ask you the same question that I asked there. Remaining in the hypothetical mode, what would you have God do exactly? Do you want God to take away your ability to make your own decisions? Whenever you consider doing something unethical, immoral, harmful, or such, do you want God to interfere in your life and to tell you what you can and can't do? Do you want God to become the tyrant that you advocate, an omnipotent being who bullies less powerful beings into doing what he feels is right, regardless of what those beings want? Because it seems to me that this is the only alternative to the way things are now.

Uumm... ya, isn't that what all of this talk about God is, assumptions? In your own words to another poster,

No, I haven't "met the guy", so for me it isn't a physical reality either. So whenever I talk about God, obviously, it is an assumption. It just happens to be my assumption; what makes sense to me.

I don't worship God, nor would I, so I don't consider such an act to be good. But despite that, where did I say that good people don't suffer? I have suffered, and I will doubtless suffer many more times before I die. But I would not deny myself the knowledge of any sensation, not even the ones I don't like. A willful desire for ignorance of my own self strikes me as remarkably self-defeating... not to mention, dare I say it, illogical. So if God exists, why would I want him to never let me suffer?

And finally, the Bible is a book. It is not a religious book. One cannot do nothing and be religious. And a book doesn't do anything. It just sits there, being read on occasion. If the reader decides to take what he reads in this book and base a religion on it then his use of the book has become religious, but the book remains the same. Well, I am not basing a religion upon what I read. Heck, I can't even honestly say that I base my belief on it, because as I'm sure you've seen, some of the assumptions I make about God aren't exactly biblical. But belief and religion are not the same thing. If you don't want to accept that it's up to you, but most people in the world do see a difference between belief and religion, even most atheists. So I'll stick to the commonly held perceptions of belief and religion and I'll leave you alone to keep yours as you want it.

I don't want to respond to this whole post, because I believe that's unnecessary, but I have to respond to one thing. How can you say that the bible is not a religious book?!! Do you fully understand what is or is not religious? The bible is considered to be religious literature, conceived of and written by religious people. I guess that being theistic really does entail religious belief. You are a bit obscure in your conception of God, but you are certainly not a deist if you think that book is divine.

It was good debating with you, Solace. Have a good weekend.
ACB

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 04:40 pm
@hue-man,
Hue-man: Can you please clarify one point.

hue-man wrote:
Every negative entails a positive. When you say that you do not believe in God you are saying that you are paradoxically saying that you believe (meaning you accept statement as true) that God does not exist.

Do you believe that 6,232,794,087 is a prime number, without looking it up? Presumably not, since you will have no idea either way. You have no evidence that it is prime, hence no basis for belief. (You are 'agnostic' about the matter.) According to your argument above, this means that you believe that it is not prime, i.e. you believe it has factors other than itself and 1. But surely you do not believe any such thing. Have I misunderstood your argument?
Solace

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:23 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I don't want to respond to this whole post, because I believe that's unnecessary, but I have to respond to one thing. How can you say that the bible is not a religious book?!! Do you fully understand what is or is not religious? The bible is considered to be religious literature, conceived of and written by religious people. I guess that being theistic really does entail religious belief. You are a bit obscure in your conception of God, but you are certainly not a deist if you think that book is divine.

It was good debating with you, Solace. Have a good weekend.

I don't suppose the Bible is any more divine than the rest of existence is divine. If God exists and created everything, that is. Is the Lord of the Rings a religous book? It was conceived of and written by a religious person. If I find some tidbit of wisdom whereby to improve the quality of my life within the pages of Tolkien's work, have I then caused it to become religious? In such case I may use the book for a religious application, but the book remains just a novel (albeit a great one) for most readers. Well, the Bible is simply used for religious applications by most people who read it, but not by me, and not by some others as well.

But anyway, it hardly matters I suppose. If this is all that we have left to talk about then we may as well just end it amicably. Thank you for the interesting and polite discussion, hue-man.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:58 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Hue-man: Can you please clarify one point.

Do you believe that 6,232,794,087 is a prime number, without looking it up? Presumably not, since you will have no idea either way. You have no evidence that it is prime, hence no basis for belief. (You are 'agnostic' about the matter.) According to your argument above, this means that you believe that it is not prime, i.e. you believe it has factors other than itself and 1. But surely you do not believe any such thing. Have I misunderstood your argument?

Yes, you have misunderstood me. If I don't believe that the number is prime, then I don't believe. If you have no basis for belief and you don't believe then you are an agnostic atheist.

I am simply stating that if you do not believe in God then you are a weak atheist, but every negative entails a positive, and so if you say that you don't believe in God, you are in a way saying that you believe that God doesn't exist. However, the second statement is more of an expression of strong atheism. It means that you have some evidential reasons to believe that such a God doesn't exist, and the fact that the statement is unverifiable is just one of them.

I don't think that what I'm saying is hard to understand. I am continuing to state the same things in different words. I don't know if you just don't like applying the word atheist to yourself, but if so then that's fine. You can understand what I'm saying and disagree with me at the same time, but the statements that I'm saying are pretty much logical fact. Atheism is a statement of disbelief, and so if you don't believe, then you are one of us, weak or strong.
ACB

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:43 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
if you say that you don't believe in God, you are in a way saying that you believe that God doesn't exist.

No, I completely disagree with that. I think this is faulty logic; you are putting the negative in the wrong place in the sentence.

(a) Affirmative form: It is the case that I do not believe God exists.
(b) Correct negative equivalent: It is not the case that I believe God exists.
(c) Incorrect negative equivalent: It is the case that I believe God does not exist.

Statement (a) logically implies (b), but it does not imply (c). Logically, I could fail to adopt any belief at all about God's existence.

I have done my best to explain my reasoning, but if you still insist that (a) does imply (c), I do not think there is anything else I can say to convince you. We will have to agree to differ.

Quote:
Atheism is a statement of disbelief

Since I maintain that 'not believing X' is different fom 'believing not-X', I would say your use of the word 'disbelief' is ambiguous here.

Quote:
You can understand what I'm saying and disagree with me at the same time.

Yes, I do understand, and disagree. Although I personally lean towards atheism, I do not share your tenacious desire to describe non-leaning agnostics (in defiance of common usage and, I think, logic) as atheists (even 'weak' ones). But there we are - I think we'll have to leave it at that. Thanks for the discussion anyway.
hue-man

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:34 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
No, I completely disagree with that. I think this is faulty logic; you are putting the negative in the wrong place in the sentence.

(a) Affirmative form: It is the case that I do not believe God exists.
(b) Correct negative equivalent: It is not the case that I believe God exists.
(c) Incorrect negative equivalent: It is the case that I believe God does not exist.

Statement (a) logically implies (b), but it does not imply (c). Logically, I could fail to adopt any belief at all about God's existence.

I have done my best to explain my reasoning, but if you still insist that (a) does imply (c), I do not think there is anything else I can say to convince you. We will have to agree to differ.

Since I maintain that 'not believing X' is different fom 'believing not-X', I would say your use of the word 'disbelief' is ambiguous here.

Yes, I do understand, and disagree. Although I personally lean towards atheism, I do not share your tenacious desire to describe non-leaning agnostics (in defiance of common usage and, I think, logic) as atheists (even 'weak' ones). But there we are - I think we'll have to leave it at that. Thanks for the discussion anyway.

I understand what you're saying, but my point is simply that all so-called plain agnostics are really weak atheists. They don't have to call themselves that, but it's a logical fact.

I didn't make it plain in my last response, so let me state it over. You are correct in saying that the statement "I don't believe in God" doesn't necessarily mean that you believe that God doesn't exist. However, my point is that these statements are nearly the same, because both statements basically have the same reasons for disbelief. The only difference is that one statement is weak and the other is explicit, or strong.

I think that the proposition of agnosticism comes down to whether or not we can know that anything doesn't exist. Do you think that we can know that anything doesn't exist? I personally believe that if a statement is unverifiable then it is meaningless, and should be held to be false until it is proven otherwise. This is the verifiability principle of positivism, and I also recognize the principle of parsimony, which demands that something be held not to exist until proven otherwise.
Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I personally believe that if a statement is unverifiable then it is meaningless, and should be held to be false until it is proven otherwise...

hue-man, help me understand what you are getting at here. Excuse me if you fully explained this earlier in the thread. If so, just refer me to the place...

Haven't you had the experience of finding someone's statements unverifiable at the time they are made, but readily verifiable at some future time? Are you really saying that you always consider a statement false until you verify it to your satisfaction?
hue-man

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
hue-man, help me understand what you are getting at here. Excuse me if you fully explained this earlier in the thread. If so, just refer me to the place...

Haven't you had the experience of finding someone's statements unverifiable at the time they are made, but readily verifiable at some future time? Are you really saying that you always consider a statement false until you verify it to your satisfaction?

Yes, I am saying that I consider a claim that has not been verified to be false until it is proven otherwise. The claim of the existence of a supernatural agency is unverifiable, and therefore, I hold the claim to be false until proven otherwise. The problem with supernatural claims is that they are unverifiable by their very nature, and that's why the believer believes based on faith, or fideism. The believer will openly admit that their claims are unverifiable.

This position is called scientific positivism and the principle of parsimony. It is the exact opposite of dogmatism, but believers know that their claims for the existence of supernatural agency are unverifiable, and the chance of supernatural agency being verified is little to none. Parsimony demands that supernatural agency be held not to exist until proven otherwise.
ACB

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:11 am
@hue-man,
What about statements concerning highly likely but unrecorded past events? For example:
"On the day exactly 1 million years ago, some rain fell somewhere on Earth."
This is unverifiable; does that mean it is false?
Dichanthelium

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Yes, I am saying that I consider a claim that has not been verified to be false until it is proven otherwise. The claim of the existence of a supernatural agency is unverifiable, and therefore, I hold the claim to be false until proven otherwise. The problem with supernatural claims is that they are unverifiable by their very nature, and that's why the believer believes based on faith, or fideism. The believer will openly admit that their claims are unverifiable.

This position is called scientific positivism and the principle of parsimony. It is the exact opposite of dogmatism, but believers know that their claims for the existence of supernatural agency are unverifiable, and the chance of supernatural agency being verified is little to none. Parsimony demands that supernatural agency be held not to exist until proven otherwise.

Okay, it just stikes me as an untenable position, because, say for example your "significant other" says, "I love you." You have to consider that a false statement for as long as you live, in that it cannot ever be proven to be true. Now, if your significant other asks you, "Do you know that I love you?" you would have to either lie in order to not offend that person, or say, "No, your claim to love me is a false statement." Or maybe you have other ways of coping with this situation and the hundreds of similar ones?
hue-man

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:41 am
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
What about statements concerning highly likely but unrecorded past events? For example:
"On the day exactly 1 million years ago, some rain fell somewhere on Earth."
This is unverifiable; does that mean it is false?

The first question I would ask is how the hell do you know that rain fell 1 million years ago? If the statement is verifiable then I would consider, but if it is not verifiable then I consider it to be meaningless.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by the verifiability principle. If a friend tells me that they just got a 65' screen TV, that is a verifiable statement, and I have good reason to believe him. The claim for the existence of any God is not a verifiable claim, and so it is meaningless, and I hold that God does not exist until proven otherwise.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:55 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Okay, it just stikes me as an untenable position, because, say for example your "significant other" says, "I love you." You have to consider that a false statement for as long as you live, in that it cannot ever be proven to be true. Now, if your significant other asks you, "Do you know that I love you?" you would have to either lie in order to not offend that person, or say, "No, your claim to love me is a false statement." Or maybe you have other ways of coping with this situation and the hundreds of similar ones?

You are misunderstanding me, Dichanthelium. Claiming to love someone is not the same as claiming that a ghost created the universe, is all-knowing and all powerful, and will take you to heaven when you die. It's not really that I always consider a claim to be false until is verified. The question is whether or not the claim is verifiable in the first place.

What is love? Love is a strong positive emotion caused by chemicals in the brain that react to outside influence of another person. It is also a show of affection and emotional attachment, and so love can be proven just as easily any other emotion; anger for example. We have all loved someone in our lives, whether they be family members, friends, or partners. Love is a psychological emotion, and we know how that feels. You don't need to be Issac Newton to prove that love exists. It is after all, an epiphenomenon, the result of physical processes in the brain. Thanks to the science of neurology and psychology we now understand the physical basis of the experience of love.

Love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dichanthelium

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:02 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
It's not really that I always consider a claim to be false until is verified.

Okay, I just want to try to focus on one concept at a time, if you don't mind. I'm not trying to prove anything about "God." I just want to understand what you are saying.

You are saying that, in fact, you don't "always consider a claim to be false until is verified." I thought you made previous assertions to the contrary, so that helps me understand that much.

So, it would appear that you would agree that a claim is not necessarily false merely by virtue of its being unverified.

I think you are saying that unverified claims in certain categories are necessarily false, merely by virtue of their unverifiability. Other unverified claims in other categories may or may not be false, merely by virtue of their unverifiability.

Am I understanding you correctly up to this point?
LWSleeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 04:00 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;42419 wrote:
Christian Theism in its most basic sense entails observations that would necessarily be made by everyone everywhere and at all times, and thus it is as easily disproven as the alien in the bathtub.

Hue-man, for someone who wants to show why certain beliefs make no sense, you sure do make a mess of reason yourself at times. Each of your arguments are made by assuming false premises. Allow me to demonstrate using just one of your premises, that theistic belief entails "observations that would necessarily be made by everyone."

hue-man;42419 wrote:
For instance, God is theoretically omnipresent, and granted us the ability to know him (to feel his loving presence, etc.), yet I have absolutely no sensation of any God or anything that would be entailed by a God, even though by definition he is within me and around me wherever I go.

So, if you can't experience it, then it doesn't exist? By this logic we must assume your consciousness is capable of what any and all consciousnesses are capable of.

You yourself admit one counterexample disproves a hypothesis, and I can think of several to yours. There are ordinary examples such as undeveloped potentials of children, which they know nothing of until they are developed. Adults are taught how to have exceptional memory skills, but before they are, have terrible memories. By your logic, before the child or person learns new skills they are justified in saying "I don't know how to do it, so it is impossible to do."

An example I love is the guy at some website ranting about audiophiles (people, like me, into high-end stereo equipment and critical music listening), sarcastically calling audiophiles "golden ears." He claims, for instance, that all the audiophile tweaks, like special wiring, keeping cables lifted off the carpet, isolation pods for amps and other equipment, etc. result only in imagined improvements to sound, not REAL improvements to sound. Why does he claim this? Because HE can't hear a difference. Now, is it that the tweaks make no difference to music, or is it that he doesn't know how to listen to and hear subtly?

Check out home-barista.com if you want to read some esoteric discussion on espresso brewing, and the amazing subtleties in taste the experts are able to discern. Same here in "wine country" where I live, and where I found out just how many tastes one will miss before learning how to pay attention to them.

But let's get more specific. You have no awareness of any sort of omnipresent "something." You want to say it isn't there because you can't experience it. I suspect you also doubt if those who claim it is true are personally experiencing it, and in that I would agree lots of people "believe" such things merely because it is part of some larger belief system they've accepted (i.e., not because they've personally experienced something omnipresent).

But that doesn't mean no one has experienced it. There is a difference between omnipresent theory, and omnipresent experience. Rather than react only to the theorists, don't you think you should study the experientialists as well? Do you even know who they are? Some people, in fact, have spent years, decades, quieting the mind precisely to develop the ability to detect the most subtle aspects of existence. And guess what many of them report? Omnipresence.

What do they say about this omnipresent realm? It is "one," it is within oneself and outside too, it is a blissful place, it seems conscious, bright, and very steady, all of which lead some experientialists to believe they've entered a huge mind some like to call "God" (but one can call it anything, or nothing at all, and still have the same experience). Have they really entered such a mind? Well, if you don't want to be just another theorist (whether for or against the idea of joining the great mind) you cannot find out by merely analyzing the experientialists' statements, you can only know if you develop the union experience yourself, give a try, and then see what you experience.

Here's a few examples of experientialists for you to contemplate; I've chosen Christian experientialists since you have taken aim at Christians. I will put together four quotes of different union practitioners so you can understand a little of what the practice requires:

In the thirteenth century the Italian Franciscan monk, Bonaventura, stated in his famous The Mind's Road to God, "It happens that we may contemplate God not only outside of us but also within us." Walter Hilton, an English religious of the fourteenth century explained in The Scale of Perfection that, ". . . [union] is in the heart alone; it is without words, and is accompanied by great peace and tranquility of body and soul." The French Carmelite monastic, Brother Lawrence, wrote in the seventeenth century in his Spiritual Maxims, "Actual union is . . . livelier than that of fire and more luminous than a sun undarkened by a cloud. . . . it is an ineffable state of the soul-gentle, peaceful, devout, respectful, humble, loving and very simple." Finally, a report of how the union experience appeared to Julian of Norwich, a fourteenth century English Nun, "And then the Lord opened my ghostly eye and shewed my soul in the midst of my heart. I saw the Soul as it were an endless world, and as it were a blissful kingdom."

Those inner practitioners and a great many others I could list spent years practicing, so do you think you can just bounce around without any practice and expect to experience what the expertly practiced do? First learn to still your mind and feel your core, see what you detect, and then report back to us whether or not you've perceived something omnipresent.
ACB

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 04:48 pm
@LWSleeth,
Going back to Dichanthelium's post at #58, my point is related to that. I understand you (hue-man) to be saying that a claim that is unverified but verifiable in principle may be true or false, but a claim that is unverifiable in principle is always false. I would like to know two things:

1. Do you consider that a claim about an unrecorded event in the remote past is unverifiable in principle, and hence false?

2. If so, how do you solve the paradox whereby two particular past events are the only logically possible alternatives, yet both are unverifiable? To return to my previous example:

Either (a) it rained somewhere in the world on a certain day 1 million years ago:
or (b) there was a worldwide drought on that day.

Given that we know (from geological evidence etc) that the world definitely existed then, it is logically impossible for both claims to be false, is it not? And, with our knowledge of the earth's atmosphere, it seems overwhelmingly likely that (a) is the true statement. But I don't want to argue too much about meteorology; my main point is that one of the two statements must be true, though neither can ever be verified.

(I say 'ever', but I suppose it is possible that one day we could build a machine that can 'see' any past event. Does that make all past events verifiable in principle?)