mathematics define or create reality?

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:44 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
As far as the question goes; using math to re-create reality, it is no different than any form...Knowledge is judgement said Kant, I think...Forms are judgements, which is to say knowledge...Now, apart from the social and moral purposes of all forms, of structuring relationships, and of our realizing us and our recognizing us; the only purpose of forms and knowledge generally is to recreate our reality better than in is by knowing what it is now...Again, what you say of math as a representation of truth, is true of all form...All forms are forms of knowledge...All forms are forms of relationships... Forms are essential to our being...It is nonsense to talk about us as tool making man... We are formal man, and women... We make forms, and forms make us...

Once again I read one of your posts only to conclude that you deliberately avoided answering in a logical way. Let me say this in all seriousness...what are you talking about Fido? :Not-Impressed:
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:48 pm
@The Architect phil,
To me, math doesn't create reality, it just cuts reality up and places those bits into groups or categories. So math is just a reflection of reality which has been chopped up.

Math deduces reality, is my vote...
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:56 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
To me, math doesn't create reality, it just cuts reality up and places those bits into groups or categories. So math is just a reflection of reality which has been chopped up.

I agree. Math is a certain system of categories, a system of division. It is arguably the perfection or distillation of all our other systems of division, but in the end it is still a scheme by which the world is divided. And why is the world divided as it is in math? Is it because we have found THE way to divide the world, because only we know the actual way in which monistic 'world' should be organized into things, events, properties, etc.? No, math organizes the world as it does because we are what we are; the specific strcture of math is an expression of our own nature. To understand means to define something in terms of something familiar; we define the world in terms of ourselves. Math reflects ourselves, and our relation to the world, but says nothing about an objective world existent independently of our experience of it. How could it, if math was created from our experience by us, who only know our own experience?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 10:21 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235 wrote:
applied logic). Humans are not. Human assumptions are the power source of logic as a tool, thus human assumptions being uniquely bound to us by our psychology and culture create the human sense of what is rational and what is irrational. Logic is a framework that guides rationality through the assumptions or axioms presented by the user, nothing more.

Garbage in, and garbage out... True of computers, and true of humans... The Germans were very logical, but they have shown themselves capable of great waves of illogic... It is because their premises were skewed, so logic is no better than the man using it, and we are all acting on faith... So where knowledge works it is to inhibit actions, expecially of difficult moral implications because to tell the truth we know so little....

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

BrightNoon wrote:
I agree. Math is a certain system of categories, a system of division. It is arguably the perfection or distillation of all our other systems of division, but in the end it is still a scheme by which the world is divided. And why is the world divided as it is in math? Is it because we have found THE way to divide the world, because only we know the actual way in which monistic 'world' should be organized into things, events, properties, etc.? No, math organizes the world as it does because we are what we are; the specific strcture of math is an expression of our own nature. To understand means to define something in terms of something familiar; we define the world in terms of ourselves. Math reflects ourselves, and our relation to the world, but says nothing about an objective world existent independently of our experience of it. How could it, if math was created from our experience by us, who only know our own experience?

If it did not wwork on some level its familiarity would be pointless...It helps us to quantify a quality world, and then it helps us to recreate a certain quality better than before. It is no better than the people using it...It is like the great defensive wall of Athens...It makes no one more virtuous, so what is the point??? Comfort first... Security first, and virtue later...

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Krumple wrote:

It goes both ways... What mathamaticians should try to realize is that the parts are not equal to the whole....
Krumple

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:04 am
@The Architect phil,
Quote:
It goes both ways... What mathamaticians should try to realize is that the parts are not equal to the whole....

But that is just the thing, math does not need to consider everything because it is only concerned with what is relevant to the equation.

If you are counting apples, you don't need to know how many oranges there are. But if you want to know how much total fruit there is, then you would count them. But if you wanted to know about total fruit, you don't need to count people. Unless the total amount of fruit is needed for feeding a given amount of people. You see where I am going. Context is everything with math and does not need to know everything for it to work. We don't care unless it's quantitative in practical terms.
Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 01:00 am
@Krumple,
Math is not philosophy. It is a tool, or rather a set of tools. It is not one coherent perfect entity, paradoxes abound; and the best attempt we have made to unify mathematics into a logical singularity is roughly on the level of wrapping shards of glass in duct tape in order to build a window.
0 Replies

Paggos

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 09:55 am
@The Architect phil,
The reasoning behind Math isn't accurate. Math can be used to find new aspects of angles, and etc, but it isn't 100% accurate. It is however important to learn due to the advances in it everyday, take programming for example. You use mathematics in everyday life, you just don't realize it. Calculus is a great tool if you're in business.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido;65048 wrote:
If it did not wwork on some level its familiarity would be pointless...It helps us to quantify a quality world, and then it helps us to recreate a certain quality better than before. It is no better than the people using it...It is like the great defensive wall of Athens...It makes no one more virtuous, so what is the point??? Comfort first... Security first, and virtue later

I never said it dosen't work; it does: in the ordinary sense of the word. However, the question is what it means for it to 'work.' That we understand how the universe functions? No, only that we have acurately characterized our own world; i.e. we have systemized our experiences.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:54 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;65476 wrote:
I never said it dosen't work; it does: in the ordinary sense of the word. However, the question is what it means for it to 'work.' That we understand how the universe functions? No, only that we have acurately characterized our own world; i.e. we have systemized our experiences.

Every form has to inform us... Any form that does not tell truth, that mis informs us as to the nature of reality does us a positive injury...We have had such forms, like magic and religion and idealism and racism... Can we say no nonsense ever came out of math??? Look at the pythagoreans and some of their notions of the after life, or metaphysics...We are no better in the application of math to human destruction...Half a philosophy is not good enough... Anyone can pick up the forms of philosophy even with a criminal intent... There is nothing philosophical about religion now, but it once was philosophy... And every cleric learns philosophy, but what do they learn already of a set opinion of reality???Those people who think truth, albeit abstract truth, can be arrived at with math are right up there with criminals in my opinion, because they lose sight of the fact that truth is a certain meaning that has no meaning without us...

Neither math nor religion puts us at the center of the universe... But philosophy should find mankind at the center because no other being can be shown... All our actions and thoughts must serve humanity because we are all we have, and this may be the only place we will ever have where life can exist... If math can be turned toward human destruction or hastening the destruction of our environment it is no good, and it should be left in the hands of moral philosophers... It is not that math cannot define or create reality...In part, it does both... What our reality is, for each and every one of us is our life, and is generally our existence...Nothing which destroys life creates reality because reality is destroyed with life...Can math define life??? Could Math define life apart from life defining math???As a form it cannot be abstracted out of the context of life....
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 03:32 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;62862 wrote:
You're a patient man, Alan. Do you expect to be impotent when you grow up?

I have fathered countless babies so you comment is irrelevant :perplexed:
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:29 am
@The Architect phil,
Countless??? Does that mean none???

I thought about having children once...That didn't take long...
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:26 am
@Fido,
Fido;65954 wrote:
Countless??? Does that mean none???

I thought about having children once...That didn't take long...

No many I want to go when I am coming, what about you? :perplexed:
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 10:28 am
@The Architect phil,
The wife of the quaker who was most responsible for the human treatment of the insane in america, and the creation of asylums said of the idea: Husband; Thy mind has had many children; but I fear this one is an idiot.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:52 pm
@Fido,
Fido;66008 wrote:
The wife of the quaker who was most responsible for the human treatment of the insane in america, and the creation of asylums said of the idea: Husband; Thy mind has had many children; but I fear this one is an idiot.

What ? do you mean?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 01:27 pm
@The Architect phil,
It Means, I don''t know what you mean.. But if you have children you should be able to count them, and if you have no children, you have countless childrren because nothings don't add up...No matter how many nothing you have you only have noothing...
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 02:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido;66053 wrote:
It Means, I don''t know what you mean.. But if you have children you should be able to count them, and if you have no children, you have countless childrren because nothings don't add up...No matter how many nothing you have you only have noothing...

Four children all girls ten grandchildren, cant you perceive a light joke?, why so harsh on an aged old man like tiny little me.

My children are not nothing, as far as I am concerned they are the beauty and life of the universe, which revolves around my being and gives me reason for my existence
Fido

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 02:59 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;66065 wrote:
Four children all girls ten grandchildren, cant you perceive a light joke?, why so harsh on an aged old man like tiny little me.

My children are not nothing, as far as I am concerned they are the beauty and life of the universe, which revolves around my being and gives me reason for my existence

See there...You put your glasses on, and you counted just fine....
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 01:33 am
@Fido,
Fido;66076 wrote:
See there...You put your glasses on, and you counted just fine....

But I don't where spectacles

I give you credit,, however, for insulting me in the politest of ways and for this I am deeply grateful and your eternal friend, for life Smile see I am even smiling back at your avatar if you have one
Fido

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:03 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;66146 wrote:
But I don't where spectacles

I give you credit,, however, for insulting me in the politest of ways and for this I am deeply grateful and your eternal friend, for life Smile see I am even smiling back at your avatar if you have one

If I had something I could say with an avatar; you might not want to see it...

I only wear safety glasses... And I am fifty-five and have grand children too...Newapaper print, or cheap copy paperbacks of classics need a magnifying glass... For most stuff I do not need glasses...I think it is because I exercise my eyes by reading all the time...
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:32 am
@Fido,
Fido;66173 wrote:
If I had something I could say with an avatar; you might not want to see it...

I only wear safety glasses... And I am fifty-five and have grand children too...Newapaper print, or cheap copy paperbacks of classics need a magnifying glass... For most stuff I do not need glasses...I think it is because I exercise my eyes by reading all the time...

I am somewhat your senior, no matter I like to speak to the youth, How the young waste their youth

Just kidding I know you are an Elder Statesman of remarkable repute, you just need to be discovered thats all

Peace