Is Obesity A Disease?

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:04 pm
Oh, loooord. . . <snort>
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:20 pm
i agree, it's all metabolism and you're hard pressed to change it.
i can eat a gallon of mashed a day, a loaf of good bread, bacon, sausage, eggs and not gain an ounce. it just vanishes.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:22 pm
That was not the right thing to say to soothe the soul, mikey :-)
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:24 pm
sorry but it's true. i need to gain,,,,
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:25 pm
winter's at our doorstep.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:06 am
Mikey
Exactly. My son is the same way and it is purely painful to watch him eat everything he wants.
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:27 pm
Actually, I have fast metabolism, but I've grown to somewhat dislike eating. I guess I got tired of trying to gain weight by excessive eating. I do eat three meals a day, though. Still, I'm underweight and really skinny that some people see me as a toothpick. Sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:48 pm
Good grief. We are what we are. Fat..skinny...in between. young..old...
this is a grrrrrrr night...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:58 pm
Sententia wrote:
Actually, I have fast metabolism, but I've grown to somewhat dislike eating. I guess I got tired of trying to gain weight by excessive eating. I do eat three meals a day, though. Still, I'm underweight and really skinny that some people see me as a toothpick. Sad

It only goes to show that everyone is made differently ;-)

Letty
I hear ya girl :-D
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:13 pm
Did someone say "honey" and "Babe"...now that's food for the soul. Terms of endearment. Smile
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
The amount of food I eat is embarrassing - in fact people comment on it often. I do not have a huge appetite, in fact I eat very little and a plate full of food is enough to turn me off before I even get started. I have been out to dinner and lunches with friends, business colleagues, clients, you name it and every time I get asked "did you not like it?" I am tired of explaining that I just eat until I am full and then I stop. I cannot eat the huge portions put in front of me.

All that being said, I am considered obese. I checked my BMI and it tells me I am obese. When I tell people my weight, they judge me (I see it in their eyes or in their behavior toward me) and you know what? I shrug it off. I have no health issues that I know of, I can do anything I want to do. Yeah maybe I don't exercise as much as I really should but you know what? I work long hours and I try to fit as much into my day as possible. I can't afford to only get 5 hours sleep a night just so I can wake up earlier to fit in a work-out. The problem is that our lifestyles now are so sedentiary that we have to schedule time to be physically active. A lot of jobs are the sit-down type and the stresses of working life these days requires that lots of people put in longer working hours than ever before, so we are giving so much time to a job that we take it out of our personal lives and wonder why so many are overweight. In order to cram more work-hours in, we use conveniences like cars and never walk to work any more (okay that's not feasible for many people) but who has time to drive close to work and then walk the rest of the way? No. It's time, time, time. My work hours are 8:30 to 5:30. I am expected to be here at 8 and I never get to leave before 6 (or 7pm) because most of the time meetings are scheduled or projects must be taken care of before I leave. I once left work at 5pm (for a doctors appointment) and I was asked by three separate people who saw me leave if I was taking a half day. Now I laughed but guess what? They weren't joking! I am no shrinking violet who is a workaholic, I am trying to get the message across to these people that I have a life and work is only a part of it but how can I compete when employers demand it and get it from other workers? I think the issue of people needing less stress in their lives needs to be seriously looked at if people want to bitch and moan about society's obese population, drug-addicted population and those other unfortunates who are not considered "the norm".

And there really is no "norm" by the way. All of us have something that pee's society off - not attractive enough, no college degree, dress/style is not professional enough, too many piercings, accent sounds wrong, whatever.

I am not explaining away or giving excuses for the way anyone is - tall, small, fat, skinny, ugly, pretty, mean, nice, whatever. I say people in glass houses don't throw stones or watch out there's an avalanche coming your way!

I've heard snotty comments about weight but luckily (for them) I can't remember the last time it was directed towards me. If it was, the air would turn blue and I point out their short-comings and say "I'd rather be fat than a jackass".

Although privately, in my case, I'm probably both!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:57 pm
I'm reading a very interesting and relevant book right now:

Kelly D. Brownell's Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis and What We Can Do About It an examination of the environmental factors that contribute to obesity.

When the first "MacDonald's Made Me Fat" suit was filed, I rolled my eyes and thought about the decline of individual responsibility in this weary world. Brownell's book is making me rethink my position. I recognize and admit that enviromental factors or no, I opened my mouth for every single bite of food that has contributed to my rolly-polly glory.

Several points to ponder:

Advertisments and restaurant portions indicate that over-eating is acceptable. We are very busy, very harried people and we deserveto indulge ourselves three and four times a day, every day.

"Unhealthy food is convenient, accessible, good-tasting, heavily promoted and cheap. Healthy food is harder to get, less convenient, promoted very little, and more expensive."(Brownell)

Most communities are not designed for walking.

This quick summary does not do her ideas justice and completely ignores her suggestions for change.

I've started asking myself, "Just who said you deserve a fistful of spice drops? One, two, maybe--but a fistful"

I never considered myself a media puppet--but this "you deserve extra calories" was not originally programmed in my super ego--and I deprogram myself.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 01:30 pm
Interesting thread, Husker.

Like many of you, I've had to fight to keep my weight down since I was in highschool. Some years were better than others, but how I was treated is what made the difference in how I felt about myself. It took a long time for me to be able to simply accept myself as I am, a fairly chubby, sixty year old woman. Yep, I'm a slow learner, but I feel better about my sixty year old body than I did when I was 21 and weighed 115.

Body image, IMO, is a real disease in this country! Even fantastically beautiful models have their photographs air-brushed to make them even more perfect!

Was it Montana who said that she appreciated the internet for having the ability to converse without the usual interjection of visual clues that inevitably influence one's judgement aobut someone else? Whoever it was, I agree completely.

The sense of fellowship on a2k is something I treasure. What you all look like is irrelevant. This should be a good lesson for those who tend to judge quickly based solely on physical looks.

Raising my glass of low-carb shake, I salute you all. CHEERS!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:45 pm
Diane
It wasn't me who said that, but I agree as well, along with everything else you said.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 09:42 pm
Diane,

Your post brought tears to my eyes as I was reading it.

Thank you for both the empathy and the supporting cheers. We really don't hear that enough during our efforts to lose the weight and your post is greatly appreciated by me.

Dys is one really lucky guy. Make sure you tell him that. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Our metabolism changes as we age - for most folks. I remember a time when my waist was 28", but that was a l - o - n - g time ago.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:57 pm
{{{{{Butrflynet,}}}}} I will tell Dys he is a lucky man, but I have to admit that he is the main reason why I feel good about my body.
He loves all of me. Embarrassed
I am a very lucky woman!!
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:01 am
I believe that obeisity is Heratary Disease, because most I know have relatives who are obeast too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:09 am
More Info
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
Quote:
Wed Jan 21, 10:05 AM

By MARK NIESSE, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA - Taxpayers foot the doctor's bill for more than half of obesity-related medical costs, which reached a total of $75 billion in 2003, according to a new study.

The public pays about $39 billion a year _ or about $175 per person _ for obesity through Medicare and Medicaid programs, which cover sicknesses caused by obesity including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, several types of cancer and gallbladder disease.

The study, to be published Friday in the journal Obesity Research, evaluates state-by-state expenditures related to weight problems. The research was done by the nonprofit group RTI International and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Obesity has become a crucial health problem for our nation, and these findings show that the medical costs alone reflect the significance of the challenge," said Tommy Thompson, secretary for the Department of Health and Human Services. "Of course, the ultimate cost to Americans is measured in chronic disease and early death."

States spend about one-twentieth of their medical costs on obesity _ from a low of 4 percent in Arizona to a high of 6.7 percent in Alaska.

California spends the most on health care for the obese, $7.7 billion, and Wyoming spends the least, $87 million.

"We have a lot of taxpayers financing the costs of overweight and obesity for those in public sector health plans," said Eric Finkelstein, a health economist with RTI International who conducted the study. "That provides justification for governments to find cost-effective strategies to reduce the burdens of obesity."

About 64 percent of adults in the United States are either overweight or obese, according to the CDC's 1999-2000 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

Physicians are seeing more and more people having health problems because they're overweight or obese, said Dr. Denise Bruner, chair of the board of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians.

"This is one of the major health epidemics we're looking at in America," she said. "I truly see this as a very grave problem for which we in the public need to certainly be pro-active in terms of taking charge of our health."

Obesity should be treated and prevented more aggressively through public health programs to encourage healthy diets and exercise, said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit health advocacy group.

"It would certainly make for happier lives, and also save medical expenses," he said. "A healthy population would save taxpayers a huge amount of money."

___

On the Net:

http://www.obesityresearch.org
0 Replies