health care

Joe

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:35 pm
YouTube - True News: The Health Care Bill Passes!

Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Quote:

As is traditional for attempts at theft, the House version of [URL="http://www.associatedcontent.com/topic/71233/health_care_reform.html"]health care reform passed in the dead of night[/URL]. The way was cleared for the passage of health care reform after the Stupak Amendment banned funding for elective abortions.

The vote count for the House version of health care reform was very narrow, 220 for, 215 against. All but one Republican, he being Joseph Cao of Louisiana, voted against the

http://ads.associatedcontent.com/www/delivery/lg.php?category_id=62&content_type=article&content_type_id=2368792&key_page=681632532327233553&site_id=1&bannerid=524&campaignid=51&zoneid=2&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.associatedcontent.com%2Farticle%2F2368792%2Fhealth_care_reform_passes_house_in.html&cb=41dcb40930

health care reform bill. Thirty nine Democrats also voted against the House version of health care reform.

The spectacle of the House passing a health care bill over the objections of the majority of the American people cannot be over emphasized. Unprecedented numbers of phone calls, emails, and letters had poured into Congress urging that the health care bill be voted down. Thursday, a protest had taken place on the steps of the Capitol, attended by as many as twenty thousand people, chanting, "Kill the bill!"

The degree of arm twisting and leg breaking that took place behind closed doors by Nancy Pelosi and the House leadership may never be fully documented. What is pretty clear are the depths of contempt that House Democrats have for the American people, especially the majority who opposed the health care bill. According to the New York Times:

"Mr. Obama, during his private pep talk to Democrats, recognized Mr. Owens election and then posed a question to the other lawmakers. According to Representative Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, who supports the health care bill, the president asked, 'Does anybody think that the teabag, anti-government people are going to support them if they bring down health care? All it will do is confuse and dispirit' Democratic voters 'and it will encourage the extremists.'"

Think about the argument President Obama used behind closed doors. Voting down health care reform would only encouraged people who opposed it, which happens to be the majority of the American people, who are, after all, "tea bag", "anti government", and "extremists."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 2
No top replies

salima

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:37 pm
@Joe,
no one responded to this? i was trying to find out what exactly the health care reform bill would do, and saw the headlin once and the link was broken and it didnt come up again. it looks to me like most people really dont give a flying fig. all i saw about it so far is that americans will be required by law to have health insurance.

was that what i wanted? hmm...will that help my son who currently has no insurance because he doesnt have a job?

yep, i am busy these days...and i dont live there...but my son does and i care to know what is really going on even if nothing can be done about it by anyone who isnt part of a lobby. i guess i will find out sooner or later.

cant see youtubes before downloading, and there are so many posted and in the news i wish i could see them, but since i cant download all the ones i would want to see on impulse (5MB takes at least twenty minutes) i just skip over them, until broadband comes to where i live.

i thought i saw a post by aedes on this one day when i was surfing and noticed it in the 'recent posts' list, but then i never saw it again, and that is what i was looking for when i found this OP!
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:47 pm
@Joe,
There have been editorials and position statements and perspectives on this overflowing my medical journals for the last year. They tend to be much more analytical, thoughtful, and non-political than most of what you hear in the news. Though I have to say I don't read them very often, I'm a bit oversaturated with it all.
0 Replies