Theism vs. Atheism

William

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:31 pm
Atheist vs. Theist

The most important post I have ever written.

It is not my nature to participate in any discourse that is involved, in the course of that discourse, in terse, snide or condescending remarks from one to another based on one's failure to understand the position of the other and treat that position less worthy.

I would like to compliment the members of this forum and it's mod's and staff for the civility in which it conducts itself. Especially that discourse between Atheists and Theists.

It has always been my quest, my compulsion to fully understand the divide that exists between these two in hopes to bring the two into accord in such a way that would make sense to each. The following is a continuation of that quest.

I have reached a clear understanding of what is the nature of religious faith and the nature of man that drives it. My brick wall :brickwall:has been reaching that understanding that drives the Atheist. I think I have just scaled that wall.

I have, up until now, concluded Atheism was a matter of ego. As is evident in my posts, for those of you who have read them, my adherence to the belief in the everlasting nature of our being as it is a part of the continuum that is the Universe and the core that drives it known as "God". THE ATHEIST IS CLOSER TO THAT "GOD" THAN ANYONE ON THE PLANET EARTH. They just have lost that link in as much as they cannot conceive any intelligence other than themselves. In fact, that is, believe it or not, true. I can't believe I just said that.

There is no doubt as to the intellect of the Atheist. Granted there are those who, out of a very deep frustration, and their failure to see, due to their own personal and private experiences, any omnipotent God present in their lives. That is the fault of misaligned religious interpretation and manipulation. Whether these interpretations are malicious or innocent is beyond my knowledge, but I choose the ladder due to my enormous faith in mankind, regardless of his shortcomings.

The "intellectual Atheist" is too close to the source (God) as it is said, "to see the light". Please bear with me here. For they are the light. They are the "brightest" manifestation of this "God". "My, you are a bright one, aren't you?" Surely you have heard that before, especially many of you reading these very words. You will be surprised how close we are to understanding the truth in the very language we use. Ha.

Alienation create's walls. Such as the wall that exists between the Atheist and the Theist. The Atheist is "definitely" not a follower. Couldn't be, even if they wanted to, especially to those "dictates" some religions have in place that mandate it's followers "bow" to an omnipotent diety. No way. Not going to happen. The word "bow" is the inappropriate word that is causing so much alienation. I am of the same cloth, I will not bow to any man or God in that I am not Atheist or Theist. I am a part of that universe and that God that drives it. So is the Atheist and the Theist. As a matter of thought, it is my conclusion, the Atheists will be the "divine architects" of the future once they understand the origin of their intellect and their purpose in that very continuum.

Madel and Poseidon enabled me through their recent post's, the serendipity of thought that allowed me to reach this understanding. Madel in the preparation of a paper she is to write on reincarnation asked for our help. I referred her to a link about Constantine's role in Christian interpretations in that I thought it would be a good place to start her research. Poseidon posted a thought that I personally arrived at long ago that expresses the danger in not believing in the eternal nature of our being as is duly noted in my very signature. As my mind "churned" it issued the core of this post.

No Atheist will bend to the thoughts of lesser than he for they are closer to that creation that is meant to govern those very thoughts of each. Their intellect is determined by how "long" their existence has been on this planet. They are it's eldest. They just don't "know that". They are too removed from it due to "life" itself and the knowledge "they" have gathered and cannot hear the words of those who have existed less. Nevertheless both have a purpose for being. It is that divide that has built that wall that not only defines the two but serves as the truth behind the axiom that states "..a house divided cannot stand...".

The Atheist's are the brightest manifestations if they only understood they are a part of the very God they deny, rather that being apart from it as is manifested by religious interpretations. Because of the "stranglehold" some religious tenets have on it's follower's, though just, as they all have "their truths" , the intellect of the Atheist has become insulted as they, from sheer frustration, tend to render that cowering belief in a "powerful God" of wrath and vengeance preposterous as the Atheist cannot grasp that ideology for they simply know better. It's just they don't know "why" they know better. Herein we have "the mute attempting to "control"the deaf". In their intellect, they have no understanding of why those of faith cannot hear their reason in their words nor their logic, for neither is in touch with the other. There is no respect for either for neither can communicate with the other.

It is akin to a child disobeying a Father, who fails to understand the Father as he tries to control the child. The Atheist's Deism is "blinded" by it's anger. It is that simple. It's like a Ph'd trying to teach a first grader. Total lack of empathy in that the "teacher" has lost touch with what it is like to be a "first grader". Too much knowledge. One being mute and losing the ability to communicate; and one not knowledgeable enough to understand the words of the teacher.

Now here come's the real kicker. The anger of the Atheist is justified, much like a Father's would be as he attempts to control his child and that anger represents "the wrath of God" in that we are a part of that God and man's failure to understand that making c0mmunication impossible. "Calm down, you are not thinking straight!" Heard that before. Sure you have. It applies here. Boy is this going to throw common thought on it's ear. Wow!
You see, both sides are right.

As the Captain said in the movie Cool Hand Luke, "What we have heah, is a failyah ta communicate". Ha. It's all God. It's just some have less knowledge than others. It is incumbent on those with the most knowledge to aid those of lesser knowledge and anger thwarts that so very essential union.

It is the role of the "Elder's" (the brightest) to set in place those parameters that will lead to that mutual understanding. Not by means of force, but understanding by using that combined intellect to create a unity that will enable asynergy" to learn from the "Mentor" in this continuing momentum that is our eternal voyage. The Atheist must realize his eternal nature in that paradigm and the role he plays in it. It is of one meant to guide, not control.

Here is the fine line. To that degree Atheists effort "to control" render their purpose "evil" rather than "Divine". And to that degree, by your own hand will you bring about God's wrath as that very lack of understanding by "both factions", under that one roof cause it to cave in on it's self. It is incumbent for the wisdom of the Atheist to understand it's eternal nature, for any other thought will lead to a selfishness bringing about a reality of the likes no mind can conceive. A Hell on Earth.

Thanks, and I welcome your thoughts.

William
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,534 • Replies: 110
No top replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@William,
You speak of an atheist as some species of bird rara avis
Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@William,
Where do Agnostics fit in your scheme of things?
William

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
You speak of an atheist as some species of bird rara avis

That is so very hard to obtain that neutral ground when discussing the two. Extremely hard. I apologize for not being more adept at it. If you don't mind, please tell me what part of those "projected beliefs" you espouse I have that offends you so? And please, what do Atheist's believe?

Thanks,
William
William

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:55 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Where do Agnostics fit in your scheme of things?

It has been my experience Agnostics are not as overt as Atheist in declaring their "title" as being "Agnostic". Most Agnostics are not offended with their admitted "unknowing of all the answers", where as the Atheist takes extreme offense when anyone efforts to question their intellect and beliefs. I have never been one for "labels". It skews real and sincere dialog. These are just my observations. They are in no way meant to offend.

William
0 Replies

ariciunervos

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

By not believing in [a] God,
Atheists create an entirely new being
One of non-existence in a God.

By rejecting the possibility of existence of entity X,
The rejectors bring into existence a new entity, Y
Entity Y is an entity "of non-existence in" X

I don't get it. What do you mean by "of non-existence in" ?

edit: Also I don't get it how rejecting the existence of an imaginary, conceptual object creates another. If I say I don't believe in Blue Flying Pigs, what strange animals does this rejection of possibility of existence of Blue Flying Pigs create ?
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:01 pm
@William,
William,
"No Atheist will bend to the thoughts of lesser than he for they are closer to that creation that is meant to govern those very thoughts of each" (William, Post #1)

"The Atheist's Deism is "blinded" by it's anger. It is that simple." (William, Post #1)

"The Atheist must realize his eternal nature in that paradigm and the role he plays in it. It is of one meant to guide, not control." (William, Post #1)

Etc.

Funny enough, I'm actually a Roman Catholic. The offense comes not from an attack on my particular belief if I was indeed an atheist, but rather from the condescension of one faith imposing its beliefs on another. Though this may not have been your intention, it is most certainly implied in the language of your post.

As to what Atheists believe, who knows. There was a particularly good post some time ago that likened God to a flying pair of meatballs and spaghetti and the notion that mankind had been touched by his "noodly appendage." She meant it in jest, but still pretty funny. But I have strived to relate rather than judge the reasons why atheists believe what they believe.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:14 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Ariciunervos,omething in virtue of the definition of the word. That something
William

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:17 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
William,"No Atheist will bend to the thoughts of lesser than he for they are closer to that creation that is meant to govern those very thoughts of each" (William, Post #1)

"The Atheist's Deism is "blinded" by it's anger. It is that simple." (William, Post #1)

"The Atheist must realize his eternal nature in that paradigm and the role he plays in it. It is of one meant to guide, not control." (William, Post #1)

Etc.

I am getting better every day. Thanks for pointing out my "lecturing". It is extremely hard to be in the middle. Very hard. One day, I will get it right.

Thanks for your thoughts,
William
0 Replies

ariciunervos

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 03:20 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

[Atheists] believe in something in virtue of the definition of the word.
http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif /ˈeɪhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngθihttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ey-thee-ist]-noun
a person who denies [...] the existence
VideCorSpoon wrote:

The rationale is behind logical negation.

So "an atheist believes in a non-god." Laughing
How about "an atheist non-believes in a god ?"

Which one is it ?
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@ariciunervos,
Ariciunervos,logical negationatheist
William

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:43 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

You see, in my humble opinion, that very statement is exactly what I tried to put forth. IMO, WE are "that God". The fact that we do not realize that is why we "disassociate ourselves from the Universe and that core that insures it's continuance". When we do that, we inevitably could care less about the chaos we create that is so "anti-universal" as it relates to any definition of harmony. It will be our demise. There is no doubt about it. We must, IMO, acknowledge our part in that "harmonic" macrocosm/microcosm and do our best to align with it or we are definitely screwed. It will not abide by any attempt to cause it chaos. The atom bomb is just such a "big bang" that got it's attention. If there is a Karmic justice, of which I cannot know in any stretch of the imagination, but I am sure it has a part in there somewhere. If anyone, for selfish reasons, cares not to do what they can, using their knowledge, talents, skills and gifts in an effort to aid in this alignment, IMO will fall prey to the justice if there is any truth at all to this wisdom I put forth. In other words not be a part of that continuum. At least in any manner that would cause it further chaos.

William
0 Replies

ariciunervos

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

Your statement about blue flying pigs is correct. But the term atheist has different implications in virtue of the word and the context.

So if I invent the term aporkist, a person who denies the existence of Blue Flying Pigs, you will again conclude, strictly from a logical point of view, that the aporkist believes in non-Blue-Flying-Pigs or non-believes in Blue-Flying-Pigs.

What I'm asking is, why would someone do such a thing since it is absolutely clear this mathematical and logical use of the operation 'NOT' has no real use or purpose outside of showing you know how to use logic negation.

Maybe you might want to annoy atheists by saying "You believe, you believe too! But you believe in non-God! Ha!"
Well first of all you'll piss off theists by dragging their word, "belief", which they associate with other words like: passion, fervor, spirit... warmth, and all that crap, to an aporkists belief in non-Blue Flying Pigs.
Secondly, you'll get the answer from an atheist that he gets the same feeling from believing in non-God just as the one from believing in non-Blue Flying Pigs, which has nothing to do with the religious feeling theists have. So what's the catch ?

Errrr big edit, in bold Very Happy

William Sorry for sort of derailing your thread for a bit Smile
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@ariciunervos,
William,

You might find Spinoza's Ethics interesting. Spinoza basically attributes to God everything, substance, nature, people, etc. To him, God is nature, and we are all a part in some way or another "modes" of Gods "substance." I think your thoughts actually do have much merit. I think it may be better justified from a position disconnected from atheism or agnosticism though.

Ariciunervos,

First, if you invent the word aporkist, I would not use it. It is etymologically incorrect to begin with. But "atheist" has implications in its definition
Khethil

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:26 am
@VideCorSpoon,
William,

I read your original post long and hard. Looking at it from various angles, and re-reading, I found a lot we could flesh out and actually set out to do so. Then, thinking it through, I trashed my reply and started again... got distracted, came back and re-read and got to thinking. I'm trying to get the 'flavor' of where you're coming from. I think I may have a small piece of the puzzle and I'll keep it simple.

If you want to understand the atheist mindset, the very first thing - which may seem obvious - is to fully understand the implications that we're talking about 'people' here. People, in any particular orientation on any subject, have immense differences in their motivations. In other words, atheists are not all angry, nor do they all necessarily have difficulty bowing-down or conceiving possibilities, etc. Some do, for sure! But its so much more complicated. Appreciating this complexity helps us to not pigeon-hole entire populations of those of opposing views. Smile

I guess what I want to say is this: If you want to understand this mindset (and explore deeper into the Rift of which you spoke), you're best bet is to ask. Also, I want to thank you for the sensitivity and conciliatory tone of your post, it was very enjoyable and I wish you good fortune in your search for understanding this theological rift.

Thanks!
Solace

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:41 am
@Khethil,
[QUOTE]
atheists are not all angry, nor do they all necessarily have difficulty bowing-down or conceiving possibilities, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Something else I'd like to note as it pertains to Wlliam's thread starter, atheists are not all abundantly intelligent either. I'm not talking about anyone on this forum, so don't become offended. But I know plenty of people irl, plenty of "normal Joes" if you will, who don't care a whit for religion, God or anything of the sort. They simply don't believe in any of it. And they wouldn't understand the term agnostic if you explained it to them. As long as you leave the definition of atheist alone, as simply being someone who does not believe that God exists, then they would classify themselves as atheists.

And not to burst the bubble of William's original post, but if those guys that I know are meant to teach us all, then we're screwed. Perhaps William's inspection of the subject needs a little more scrutiny and a little less generalization.
William

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:35 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
William,

I read your original post long and hard. Looking at it from various angles, and re-reading, I found a lot we could flesh out and actually set out to do so. Then, thinking it through, I trashed my reply and started again... got distracted, came back and re-read and got to thinking. I'm trying to get the 'flavor' of where you're coming from. I think I may have a small piece of the puzzle and I'll keep it simple.

If you want to understand the atheist mindset, the very first thing - which may seem obvious - is to fully understand the implications that we're talking about 'people' here. People, in any particular orientation on any subject, have immense differences in their motivations. In other words, atheists are not all angry, nor do they all necessarily have difficulty bowing-down or conceiving possibilities, etc. Some do, for sure! But its so much more complicated. Appreciating this complexity helps us to not pigeon-hole entire populations of those of opposing views. Smile

I guess what I want to say is this: If you want to understand this mindset (and explore deeper into the Rift of which you spoke), you're best bet is to ask. Also, I want to thank you for the sensitivity and conciliatory tone of your post, it was very enjoyable and I wish you good fortune in your search for understanding this theological rift.

Thanks!

Khethil,
In my opinion, as far as Atheist's go, you are the rare lot. Thank you for taking the time to pour over my OP. Granted it is out there, but, heck, most of my thoughts are. Ha. I can only hope they will inspire thought that will enable us all the reach universal understanding as it relates to all those things that perplex us. This particular one is of monumental importance, IMO.

As far as asking, I hope that is what I am doing in a round about sorta way. Yes it is complicated and achieving a dialog with an Atheist, in the past, that even broaches an effort to understand the "possible" existence of a higher understanding of that from which we "all" come, is often dismissed as "delusional" that has, more often than not lead to condescending, rude and humiliating discourse. I know, I have been down that road. You are the first who, has not over the course of our discussions, resorted to such retorts and I am so very grateful for that. Thanks again.

Which leads me to my next question. Why are you an Atheist, if you don't mind me asking? You do not, as it has been my perception, "fit the bill", so to speak. So "I am asking".

Thanks again so very much your understanding consideration on a subject such as this.

William
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:44 am
@William,
Ok I'll be honest here. I do not see the point in religion so that would make me agnostic, right?

I see God as a figure that should portray good and that God cannot define one's own good, but I ask, why must God exist for humans to have a spiritual side? Why do we need a spiritual side?
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Why do we need a spiritual side?

Because humans have minds and you can't really put your finger on them.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:04 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:

Something else I'd like to note as it pertains to Wlliam's thread starter, atheists are not all abundantly intelligent either. I'm not talking about anyone on this forum, so don't become offended. But I know plenty of people irl, plenty of "normal Joes" if you will, who don't care a whit for religion, God or anything of the sort. They simply don't believe in any of it. And they wouldn't understand the term agnostic if you explained it to them. As long as you leave the definition of atheist alone, as simply being someone who does not believe that God exists, then they would classify themselves as atheists.

And not to burst the bubble of William's original post, but if those guys that I know are meant to teach us all, then we're screwed. Perhaps William's inspection of the subject needs a little more scrutiny and a little less generalization.

Thank you solace for your thoughts. Scrutiny is almost impossibe, yet I will agree to the "generalizations". It is just I have, as it has been my personal experience, to find another "reason" other than the two I have mentioned. Those you cite of being "less than intelligent" have their reasons and it "usually" stems from trying to equate a "God of Love" allowing such atrocities. either personally or globally, to occur. Intellect of course is the other. Now there are many who are "victims" of circumstance who just don't have a clue due to the reality they have been raised in. They are just trying to survive. If this is what you are referring to, there will be no answers coming from that lot. Only by reaching accord from those are "responsible" for that lot, can come those solutions that will in and of itself help those. BTW, what does "irl" signify? And how did you like the "links" I established, Pretty neat, huh? Wait a minute, that was arjen that taught me that. Sorry. Anyway it is a neat feature to use.

Thank you,
william