Canadian Federal Election

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
Well here we go again, Parliament will be dissolved tomorrow and the country will be thrown into another election. Will we see a majority government in October? If not, how will party lines be drawn? Will the Green Party have a voice in debates and in the next Parliament? Should we abolish the Monarchy and create a Canadian Republic?

Does Canadian government work? It does, I think, but only with a majority.

P.S. http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/groups/7-fans-canada.html
LOL :bigsmile:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,135 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sarathustrah

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@Victor Eremita,
i havent heard about canada changin things up.... canada seemed like it was doin good... dont fix whats not broken right? what happened? something go wrong?

i was thinking about movin to canada cause they dont seem as messed up as the american government Razz

do you know anything about this speculation of canada and mexico trying to merge with the US into one single continental government?

would you think that would be a good idea?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@sarathustrah,
Canada has elections?

I'm joking of course. I just have never paid any attention to Canadian politics. We have so many problems down here that I haven't really had the time. What is at stake? What are the central issues?

Quote:
i was thinking about movin to canada cause they dont seem as messed up as the american government Razz

You are not alone. If McCain wins and pushes through a draft, I'm moving north.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
A minority government is where the ruling party has the most seats in the House of Commons, but does not control 50%+1 of the House. This means in order for the government to survive, they need the support of one or two of the opposition parties in order for a bill to pass. If a bill fails, a vote of non-confidence causes the government to fall.

Over the past few years, when bills fail, government collapses causing elections every two or three years, instead of the standard 4-5 years of a majority government. We spend more on elections than on doing things that matter.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:55 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Do Americans have sites like these?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Fox News is very much like that.
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Basically, Harper wants a majority. He of course is not going to get it and is wasting his time. I also feel that Canadians are too apathetic to get rid of the minority Harper has. I can't find a party I particularily like. Stephane Dion just sounds too liberal, the conservatives spend like money is growing on trees, and the NDP's will do the same in their nature, not that they've been elected though.

I'd vote liberal if I was of age, and if Dion didn't want to go into Iran, and if he didn't want this stupid carbon tax.

And Harper wants to get out of Iraq. Finally!!!

But apparently, Canada is boring! Other countries don't see us. Its all about the US.

Hey Dydimos, you might be drinking water canalled all the way from James Bay soon! Isn't that nice how Canada is sharing their resources. Sharing?! *cough* bullying *cough*.

I hope Harper doesn't get the majority though. And I don't want the liberals or NDP either. Again, the election will be a waste of money.

On a global stance, what all does Canada do compared to the US? Not much.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Hey Dydimos, you might be drinking water canalled all the way from James Bay soon! Isn't that nice how Canada is sharing their resources. Sharing?! *cough* bullying *cough*.

That's the modern American political tactic - bullying. But that's the ancient military power tactic. Then again, we really do need some water.
0 Replies

Poseidon

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

I'd vote liberal if I was of age, and if Dion didn't want to go into Iran, and if he didn't want this stupid carbon tax.

You just hate polar bears, don't you?

Quote:

On a global stance, what all does Canada do compared to the US? Not much.

Best internet service providers.
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
You just hate polar bears, don't you?

Best internet service providers.

On a global scale I was kinda assuming. And polar bears are not cute. Get up close to one some time. They are just not.
Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 06:57 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I guess no one watched the English Language Canadian Leaders Debate, because the VP debate was on at the same time huh?

Anyways, I thought Jack Layton was the winner of the debate, he really came prepared and went in with a few zingers for Harper and Dion. Duceppe was pretty witty; if only he was a federalist. Dion and Harper were lackluster, but not a problem for Harper, as his command of English enabled him to defend against some of the attacks. May was interesting, and added a feminine touch to the debate, but was pretty much hit and miss with her anecdotes.
0 Replies