My Heart's Quandry

Leia

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:07 pm
In need of commentary, advice and insight. Please offer what you can. Thank you kindly.

The situation:

'Met someone online at a music-related messageboard. Started emailing. Upgraded to MSN. Have exchanged numerous pictures. Many phone calls have taken place. All of it has been incredibly enjoyable. Nine months have gone by and we are still close and becoming emotionally closer by day. We want to meet.

I am 23 (female) and he is 18. I do not notice any major gaps in our emotional maturity. We are both shy, sensitive, intellectual people who want to be with someone romantic and genuine. I have yet to meet this person, so I am trying to keep it all in perspective, but I have this longing for him. He has become very special to me despite the fact that I tried to resist becoming close with him because it is the internet. It took me a long time to trust. But now I do, and so does he.

The other problem is that we live a huge distance away. He is Latin American and I am North American. I would wait for him if I knew I loved him. In order to find out, I need to meet him to see if our bond is as amazing in person as it is on the phone and online. I just want to put the online aspect of what we have in the past.

I can't stop thinking about him. He is a lovely, romantic and extremely beautiful person.

Is any of this wrong?

-meeting online
-a five year age difference where the woman is older
-an 8000-mile distance

Any insight anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 28
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 02:19 pm
that sounds very very tough. but no, i do not think any of it is wrong. you seem to be a very reasonable person, and the nine months should give you enough of an idea about the other person. i think meeting is the right step and if it is indeed wonderful, it is worth struggling with all the obstacles around, if i may say so. i do now live with a man that i was in a long distance relationship with for seven years. it wasn't easy, but very much worth it. i wish you the best of luck and do encourage you to go for it, like your heart tells you to.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:05 pm
I see nothing wrong with it at all, but seeing that there is so much distance between the 2 of you might be a problem in the long run if you neither one of you are willing to make a huge move.

Good luck to you and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:20 pm
You two need to arrange a meeting. There's so much mystery online, so much room for false representation and extreme embellishment but you'll never know unless you meet face-to-face. What would be your halfway point? Is it possible to arrange a rendevous?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:33 pm
There's nothing wrong with any of this but keep in mind that the distance and online-ness of this "relationship" conspire to make it all seem more exciting than it may end up being. He's exotic. He's younger. The way you met lends itself to fast intimacy. He (and you) has the opportunity to edit his words so everything comes out right. There's no fighting, no snoring, no clothes lying around that need to be picked up, etc. So it's all rosy right now.

You definitely need to meet, but keep in mind that that may not settle things, either. Unless you are together for a while, and meet several times, it'll still be no fighting, possibly no snoring, no clothes lying around, you get the idea.

Keep in mind also that in meetings like this, it's just about inevitable that you will have sex, and that clouds things even more. I've known many couples who had long distance online relationships like this, and exactly 3 of them have worked out.

It is possible for these things to "work out", but it takes work and it takes a lot more than one meeting. For couples who meet only once after a huge build-up, they have sex and then the meeting ends a day or a week later and the whole thing ends up fading. For couples where it works out, they meet several times and make an effort to have a more conventional relationship. They talk on the phone. They meet one another's families. They spend nonsexual time together when they are in one another's presence. You get the idea. The distance and expense of meeting for you and your message board friend will mean that it'll be tough to have a lot of meetings or phone calls. If you can find some place inexpensive to meet more or less halfway (say, at a family member's home), that will help considerably.

Best of luck to you and I don't want to make you feel bad, but the odds are not good that this will work out.
0 Replies

Leia

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
Thank you
Thank you everyone for your honest replies. Its been really helpful to finally get some feedback on this thing.

And we are both committed to celibacy before marriage....so that's a good thing in my opinion. It removes a potentially huge complication and keeps things as real as possible. But yes, we do need to meet before anything else. He is very intent on coming to me, so I don't even have to travel anywhere. If things work out, we have agreed that I will come to him in the summer. We are working on a plan to meet some time within the next 2 months. I am keeping my fingers crossed. This is all so overwhleming and uncertain....but exciting at the same time. The man is intelligent and is gorgeous! I can't help myself.

Has anyone else met someone online? I feel shame about it for some reason. I wish I had met him in real time, but since he's so lovely, I am trying to move past all the emotional reservations I have about it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 05:20 pm
I wish you both the very best :-D

I did meet one person from the internet, but he's gay, so there wasn't any romance there. There is one person here on A2K who is single that I would love to meet, but the distance thing is a problem for us as well.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
ain't that the truth Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:12 pm
And there he is.

Hi Wilso (smooch) ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
Hi sweetie. Right back at ya!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:19 pm
Now if we could get a tug boat to tow Australia right next to Canada, we'd be all set :-D
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
Leia, look right here, right before your eyes there is a relationship developing between Montana and Wilso. And they live in separate hemispheres!

I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck.

And I will be closely monitoring this relationship between Montana and Wilso.

Things are starting to heat up.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:30 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Leia, look right here, right before your eyes there is a relationship developing between Montana and Wilso. And they live in separate hemispheres!

I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck.

And I will be closely monitoring this relationship between Montana and Wilso.

Things are starting to heat up.

Gus, you are a LONG way behind the times.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:31 pm
I'll say, LOL!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:37 pm
Forgive me for my sin of inattentiveness.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:48 pm
We'll fogive you this time Gus ;-)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:53 pm
Leia, my sister met her now husband on ICQ. No need to feel ashamed about that. World changes, we adapt.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:06 pm
Leia, definitely no shame. It's a very, VERY common thing now. There was an editorial in the New York Times recently about how the internet has brought courtship back into our lives... stretches things out that had become increasingly abrupt.

For the legal-minded folks here, a question, though -- Leia's fella says he's 18, what if he is younger? Can she get in trouble? Crossing state lines, yadda yadda?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:15 am
Possibly (he's not an American citizen, apparently, but we do care about protecting children here, even 17-year-olds who seem more than capable of caring for themselves, and if they're not Americans). It depends on the state re age of consent and all. Even if there is no sexual contact, there is still the Mann Act (no transporting of minors across state lines for immoral purposes), but it's not often enforced unless there is perfect proof of "immorality" (a teenage pregnancy, an STD, an arrest for something else, etc.).

I don't know how you could prove age or insist on proving it (and photos can lie, and documents be forged), but it is a consideration.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:18 am
I met my bf online !!
0 Replies