Maya Plumbing: First Pressurized Water Feature Found in New World

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:35 am
Here is an interesting article I found on Mayan engineering and how they likely used water pressure in order to provide water. It is too bad that the Spanish wiped out nearly all of the Mayan and Aztec cultures. I wonder what kind of innovations would have been seen had the cultures been able to flourish.

Maya plumbing: First pressurized water feature found in New World
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 981 • Replies: 8
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:25 am
@Theaetetus,
I have long admired these meso civs, and puzzled over their great architectual knowledge, yet such civs didn't invent the wheel. Maybe because they didn't have the right contours of landscape, nor the right animals to pull.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:36 am
@Theaetetus,
I think what the Meso civilizations did architecturally without the wheel or beasts of burden is quite stunning. The wheel would not have been very practical in many regions of Central and South America because of the mud and the mountains where the people lived.
xris

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@Theaetetus,
The Mayans had the wheel but considered it was only to be used for religious purposes, it was too sacred for labour. The occasional toy has been found , we assume toy, with wheels. Their calender was a sacred wheel. Its pagan, all pagans have the circle as its symbolic representation of the sun, in one way or another.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 12:47 pm
@Theaetetus,
Still...not as impressive as the aqueducts. And the Romans had central heating didn't they? With steam under the floors?

I think when you have fewer cultures, you have less innovation. Because each culture has its own wants and needs. But that right there says that most of the innovation will only really be useful to that culture, and merely interesting to other cultures.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;160524 wrote:
Still...not as impressive as the aqueducts. And the Romans had central heating didn't they? With steam under the floors?
When did these Roman aqueducts arrive on the historical scene?

Jebediah;160524 wrote:
I think when you have fewer cultures, you have less innovation. Because each culture has its own wants and needs. But that right there says that most of the innovation will only really be useful to that culture, and merely interesting to other cultures.
Indeed, the Mediterrenian was a great place for trade, thus exchangeing ideas, along with the silk route.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:07 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;160524 wrote:

I dont think the Romans understood the pressurising systems or realised it could go up and down hills, dependant on the original height of the reservoir. For them it just went down hill.
Jebediah

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:59 pm
@xris,
xris;160541 wrote:
I dont think the Romans understood the pressurising systems or realised it could go up and down hills, dependant on the original height of the reservoir. For them it just went down hill.

I hadn't heard of them doing it but I checked wiki:

Quote:
The Romans were able to make fountains jet water into the air, by using the pressure of water flowing from a distant and higher source of water to create hydraulic head, or force. Illustrations of fountains in gardens spouting water are found on wall paintings in Rome from the first century B.C., and in the villas of Pompeii.[7]. The Villa of Hadrian in Tivoli featured a large swimming basin with jets of water. Pliny the Younger described the banquet room of a Roman villa where a fountain began to jet water when visitors sat on a marble seat. The water flowed into a basin, where the courses of a banquet were served in floating dishes shaped like boats.[8].
memester

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 06:22 am
@Jebediah,
Anupam Mishra: The ancient ingenuity of water harvesting | Video on TED.com

here are some traditional water harvesting ideas from India
0 Replies