Blackwater: Leaving Iraq, Chasing Pirates?

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 12:36 am
After $1.3 billion in government contracts and controversy over the killing of innocent Iraqi civilians, Blackwater Worldwide is moving on. The Washington Post reported this week that Blackwater, the for-profit military company contracted by the Bush government to provide securities services in Iraq, will not have it's Iraq contract renewed. But the powerful military corporation has no plans to slow down after what has been an extraordinarily profitable decade. Nation contributor Jeremy Scahill, author of "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army", discusses the legacy and future of Blackwater Worldwide, including its expansion into hot new markets: Chasing Somalian pirates, and total intelligence gathering.

YouTube - Blackwater: Leaving Iraq, Chasing Pirates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 8
No top replies

nameless

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 05:54 am
@Theaetetus,
Yeah, let the pirates chase the pirates and keep both sets of psychopaths out of our peaceful hair.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 11:38 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Yeah, let the pirates chase the pirates and keep both sets of psychopaths out of our peaceful hair.

If that were the only thing that they were doing, then big deal. But that is the least important part of the segment. The main problem is that Blackwater is becoming an intelligence for hire service (i.e. privatized CIA). After pillaging tax payers they have the equipment and capital to be able to manipulate events on a world scale to benefit the Blackwater corporate family. If you also look into Blackwater's donations to non-profits you would see that they are promoting the crazy Christian fundies that have built a massive following in the United States. So unfortunately, they are not just a "set of psychopaths" that can be kept out of our peaceful hair by sending them out to chase crazy Somalian pirates.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 06:23 pm
@Theaetetus,
If they are successful chasing those pirates, Blackwater will only become more powerful - and therefore a greater threat to those of us who are typically peace-loving.

I wonder why the founding fathers did not think to ban mercenaries of this sort.
nameless

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:46 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;47441 wrote:
If that were the only thing that they were doing, then big deal. But that is the least important part of the segment. The main problem is that Blackwater is becoming an intelligence for hire service (i.e. privatized CIA). After pillaging tax payers they have the equipment and capital to be able to manipulate events on a world scale to benefit the Blackwater corporate family. If you also look into Blackwater's donations to non-profits you would see that they are promoting the crazy Christian fundies that have built a massive following in the United States. So unfortunately, they are not just a "set of psychopaths" that can be kept out of our peaceful hair by sending them out to chase crazy Somalian pirates.

Yet psychopaths they are. Cure them or care for them, but if they cannot play nicely, they need a big! 'time out'!!!
0 Replies

hammersklavier

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 01:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
If they are successful chasing those pirates, Blackwater will only become more powerful - and therefore a greater threat to those of us who are typically peace-loving.

I wonder why the founding fathers did not think to ban mercenaries of this sort.

Sounds like it's time for a Constitutional amendment.
0 Replies

patchouli phil

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 01:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Scary stuff.. I learned a lot from that video. Thank you.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
@Theaetetus,
like it wasnt going to happen
0 Replies

Kage phil

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 02:29 pm
@Theaetetus,
I believe they also changed their name.. Apparently they're working on healing their image..
0 Replies