Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 11:08 pm
Does the "Spill da beans!' mean "Spill your dad's beans?", which means "show us your dad's secret?".
Cos "da" in oral British English means "dad".

Another questions:
(1) Much needs to happen related to U.S. health care system, not the least of which is making prescription medications more reasonably affordable for those who require them.
I didn't get what "not the least of which" means.
(2) man how would you like to do a petter pan off the top of that!

What is petter pan? Is it actually means "Peter Pan" -- a naive adult?

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 11:27 pm
"Spill da beans" is a slang version of "Spill the beans", simply meaning "Tell me everything" as in when a friend asks what happened on your date with a new person.

"Not the least of which" refers to the fact that there is a long list of problems, but only one is being used as an example.

I have no idea what a petter pan is. Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 12:41 am
Peter Pan the fictional character could fly, while we mere human can only simulate flight when we fall, so Peter Pan is slang, it means to dive off something, usually a high or running dive.

Da as Cav stated does indeed mean the. When italians (for example) speak english they have a hard time pronouncing words that begin with TH.
So that becomes dat, da = the, dem = them, dey=they ect.
Many gangster movies, new york and chicago slang is based on these speech impediments.
Ceili
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 01:13 am
TY.

I think "Not the least of which" means "no one of them", right?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 01:22 am
No. It this sentance:

"Much needs to happen related to U.S. health care system, not the least of which is making prescription medications more reasonably affordable for those who require them."

..it literally means that "making prescription medications more reasonably affordable for those who require them" isn't the least important of the many things that "need to happen related to the U.S. health care system".

The phrase "not the least of which" often precedes giving one example from many available.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:47 pm
Quote:

The phrase "not the least of which" often precedes giving one example from many available.

Thus it means "one of them" -- "not the least" is much like "not least" -- rather important, right?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 10:32 pm
"Not the least of which. . . ." often refers to the most important thing.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:07 am
roger wrote:
"Not the least of which. . . ." often refers to the most important thing.

Now I totally got it. Thanks Roger.
Also thank all.
0 Replies