Atheists...

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:37 am
@Didymos Thomas,
At most I might consider Thomas to be counted among the agnostics, however he insists that he is rather suited to Christianity. You Boagie, are indeed an Atheist, in that you deny the possibility of god totally, rather than admit that you know nothing about god, for how can you make statements about that which for you isn't there, and thus cannot make assertions about god's properties including its existence, especially without defining god, though you would likely find nonsensical descriptors such as omnipotence. It is precisely your problem, I think, that your intent is misdplaced and as such you tend to overstep your bounds in asserting the truth of such universalities as the absence of god. For though it might be a personal truth for you, there are no ethical or any reasonable grounds to assert such truths in general.

According to the faithful, knowledge of god does not spring from power of reason but power of faith. The two do not intersect, lest the beliefs take unwarrented liberty and tread upon faith in logical inquiry, for; upon such a slight one might be right in their disagreement with the other, but it is never so when such a transgression hasn't passed.

I think rather than quibble over such questions of belief, realizing that any debate on the matter is illfounded and often in ill tase, it would be more beneficial to discuss what is good in religious texts in order that these points might be recognized in other major religious texts and the wisdom of the might be extracted for universal benefit. Surely we all could find some good in some of these texts, just as we find good in the text of any intent. The buddhist texts, the Tibeten book of the Dead, The New Testament, the ethical writings of the Rabbi's. These texts have value and wisdom in them. We should not discredit them for the bad we find and forget to reap the good.
Khethil

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:06 am
@Zetetic11235,
I think you're on a good, productive track here Zet; and thanks for a mature, considered tone.

This thread, I'm guessing, will probably go on forever. Yea, I know it all gets old (no one laments this more than I), but that fact alone is telling and speaks to how important - how prevalent - this entire issue is.

So I'll again sound off with my perspective, if I may.

Zetetic11235 wrote:
Surely we all could find some good in some of these texts, just as we find good in the text of any intent. The buddhist texts, the Tibeten book of the Dead, The New Testament, the ethical writings of the Rabbi's. These texts have value and wisdom in them. We should not discredit them for the bad we find and forget to reap the good.

Yes, they indeed do! Given the amount of interpretation and qualification, they have as much potential as any myth, story or writing. The important moral teachings of Curious George, perhaps - or maybe a Teletubby book as well. If we apply an "it's your interpretation"-kind of mindset, we can qualify any writing into some measure of worth.

Biblical adherence/reverence seems awful silly to me. But I understand that this is just me, and I'm often wrong. So wherever one takes comfort; have a happy - I'm glad for you!
boagie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
@Khethil,
Smile
Do not wake them, for as long as they sleep, they are not here.
krazy kaju

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@boagie,
Thomas, if we really cannot know if God does or does not exist, wouldn't it be rational to not believe in him?

Why should you believe in anything for which there is no proof? You don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster by any chance?

Oh, and what are all you old farts doing in this thread? It's the young philosophers forum! :tounge:
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:28 am
@krazy kaju,
krazy kaju wrote:
Thomas, if we really cannot know if God does or does not exist, wouldn't it be rational to not believe in him?

Why should you believe in anything for which there is no proof? You don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster by any chance?

Oh, and what are all you old farts doing in this thread? It's the young philosophers forum! :tounge:

We must consider the possibility of subjective evidence or that we may be far too strict on our standards for justification of knowledge.

"I know because I just know" could certainly be a justification if we are dealing with a supreme being, as he could create knowledge that is completely contained within itself.

It only seems rational to me to keep one's beliefs to him/herself, whether one believes or not, as god transcends the boundaries of logic and argumentation.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:17 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Quote:
Yes, they indeed do! Given the amount of interpretation and qualification, they have as much potential as any myth, story or writing. The important moral teachings of Curious George, perhaps - or maybe a Teletubby book as well. If we apply an "it's your interpretation"-kind of mindset, we can qualify any writing into some measure of worth.

Except that Curious George, et al, do not have near the depth of the other mentioned texts.

It's just like any other sort of literature: the rudimentary stories have been retold a thousand times through the ages. It's the treatment that draws praise.

Quote:

I suggest just the opposite - wake up. If you spend all of your life asleep, you never lived.

Quote:

Yes.

But I suggest that we can know. It's a matter of experience, not of logical investigation. Logic and reason are immensely useful tools, but they do have limits.

Quote:
Oh, and what are all you old farts doing in this thread? It's the young philosophers forum!

That's why I stayed away so long. But then I noticed some other old farts misrepresenting faith tradition, so I couldn't help but jump in, add what little I know.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Am i the youngest here? The only true young member? Laughing

But I have concluded that God doesn't mean enough to me to be found or "find me" Laughing if not construed by logic and reason.

God to me is not what an individual makes of it. If we are so inclined to give a religion a perspective then it seems only appropriate to say that God is a product of humanity's benevolent insights in general that are similar in many people, not just one person.

God is the light of humanity's striving for perfection. Its actuality if at all concrete is simply a representation of an insanity, an asymptote, of pure perfection that simply was not meant to have direct potential on us. So God in a lot of ways doesn't matter, and is hardly living among us.

But on here it is abundant. :a-ok:
boagie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:39 pm
@Holiday20310401,

I suggest just the opposite - wake up. If you spend all of your life asleep, you never lived.

Thomas,Smile

The referance was to those who find this world so intolerable that they must devalue it in favour of an imaginary world--escape through belief. The quote is actually taken from the prisoners of a nazi death camp, finding one of their peers asleep they thought it a disserves to wake him and bring him back to such a wretched reality. Why, its almost biblical!!
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
The referance was to those who find this world so intolerable that they must devalue it in favour of an imaginary world--escape through belief.

And many people do find the world intolerable, and use belief to express their nihilistic death wish. Just look at fundamentalism.

Quote:
The quote is actually taken from the prisoners of a nazi death camp, finding one of their peers asleep they thought it a disserves to wake him and bring him back to such a wretched reality. Why, its almost biblical!!

Have you read the text you refer to?

Either way, my response refers to a Buddhist call - wake up. End the indolent slumber that keeps you comfortably out of reach of reality.
Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:10 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Holliday, I am 19 as of July. You are less than two years younger than me. I suspect Didymos is not too much older, I could easily be wrong.

Boagie, you seem suited to skepticism, do you not see that all ideas are inductive and upon enough skepecism you could almost entirely disassemble your world view to the point of being half functional? Do you know how much of what we consider truth is a sense fantasy?

Many would argue that all of philosophy is fantasy, and indeed it is the closest kin to religion. Yet how often do we see good in philosophy, somthing so akin to religion in its aim and somtimes even in its methods.

There is wisdom in Confucious, just as there is wisdom in Socrates, there is wisdom in the greek myths, just as there is wisdom in the writings of Hume.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:09 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Quote:
Holliday, I am 19 as of July. You are less than two years younger than me. I suspect Didymos is not too much older, I could easily be wrong.

20 as of July.

Quote:
There is wisdom in Confucious, just as there is wisdom in Socrates, there is wisdom in the greek myths, just as there is wisdom in the writings of Hume.

You hit the nail on the head, as they say.

It seems that atheists, and even some agnostics, categorically dismiss "religious" material. They forget that secularism is an infant. If we look back on the history of philosophy, nearly every bit of the subject is spiritual in some way, if not down right religious.
boagie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 05:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
A little Atheistic humor!Smile

YouTube - lewis black explains religion

YouTube - On Bush, Bible, Fossils, Evolution, and Reality Smile
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
@boagie,
I know we aren't supposed to be literal about this sort of thing but, honestly, people back then wanted to impose prestige, not ambiguity among others who read the bible, among such metaphorical context.

Not that I'm saying Didymos is wrong about reading the book should be read not literally

Edit: We should have a comedy thread on religion.Laughing
0 Replies

astrotheological

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:38 am
@SantaMonica1369,
if there are any atheists here or even some heavy religious people you should watch a documentary called the zeitgeist. It will prove to you that religion is a waste of time. Although I still respect people who believe in that stuff though.
www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Hey boagie is there any more of that Aethieistic humour.Its awesome.
Justin

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@astrotheological,
Zeitgeist the movie is also available on the forum. HERE!
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@SantaMonica1369,
SantaMonica1369;15085 wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate, because I agree completely, there's no proof that God doesn't exist...
Whats up with that?

If someone believes something and there's no proof against it, does that make it real?

Yes, to exactly the same degree as not believing in something makes it not real.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@SantaMonica1369,
:perplexed:When you ask a question like...
Q:How do you know that the bible is correct?
A:Because God is the one who wrote it. It also says so in the bible.

Now the argument is assuming its own conclusion. How do we know that god exists. We don't. So how can we assume that the bible is correct. In fact how can we assume that god even wrote or had an influence in the bible. Can we really trust this sort of logic.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:53 pm
@MITech,
Of course not - it's absurdly circular.

As a Christian, as someone who reads the text, I'm ashamed of such arguments.

The Bible isn't "correct". Mythology isn't a matter of correct/incorrect. Mythology passes on certain values. Homer is not correct, nor is Homer incorrect. Homer passes on certain values. Bible is hardly different, just a different set of values, even conflicting values depending on which parts you draw from.
0 Replies

AtheistDeity

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:56 am
@SantaMonica1369,
I do not believe god ever existed... Why would I go out of my way to believe in it?

One basic attribute of human nature is to seek knowledge, and understanding. What better way to assume a complete and undeniable explanation than to take the word of an all-knowing, all-power deity?

Even if this deity does not give you every individual explanation of the universe, it gives a set style of living, and an explanation of what behavior is "right", and what behavior is "wrong". As well as the fact that it, (in many instances), is the only way to serve them, and gain immortal life, and passage to heaven. Quite a purpose to serve the will of the creator of the universe, huh?

I find it often true that "people want what they can't have". No one wants to think that one day they are going to die, and simply stop existing. They don't want to think that there is not a reason for them being alive. They don't want to live in a world without an all powerful being, with it's will of good is watching over them. If anything does not live up to their expectations they consider it unreasonable, because, to them, that is the reason, and beauty of life. Nor, do they want to think that one they love would suffer the same fate of going without those things. They want to think that if they live a certain way, and do everything "correctly" they will be rewarded, and live forever with the ones they love, and the one who created them.

I don't blame them. But, I, personally find more enjoyment living with what really is, and has become. Existing is enough purpose to be alive, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Ennui phil

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:40 am
@SantaMonica1369,
SantaMonica1369 wrote:
Is God dead, or did he never exist?
How does your reasoning for being an atheist go?

Sometimes God had under oath to save humanity from all types of disasters or trails but He did not help,apparently He is indolent.People spend their time praying for remedy but He did not help,was He ignoring or no probity is inside His heart?

He cited that people whom had faith in Him would not suffer so much but is this genuine?It is unfeasible to everyone.He might even not exist,and some have hitherto been duped by His existence and praying with resolution.