This Year's Templeton Prize Winner

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:57 pm
Do other dimensions suggested by quantum mechanics imply a God?

What is science's role in knoweledge creation?

from linked article:
Quote:
D'Espagnat stressed the role of science in grasping empirical reality, that is, the reality of experience or observation. He went on, however, to note that other methods of insight, including the arts, provide windows on understanding the true realities that lie behind things, what he described as "the ground of things." "Artistic emotions essentially imply the impression of a mysterious realm which we may merely catch a glimpse of," he said. "Science and only science yields true knowledge. On the other hand, concerning the ground of things, science has no such privilege."

Templeton Prize - Current Winner
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 793 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phosphorous

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:16 pm
@GoshisDead,
Hey, whatever curls his really long noodle.
0 Replies

nerdfiles

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 08:05 pm
@GoshisDead,
"Knowledge creation" seems pejorative or outright a contradiction in terms.

New empirical findings do not imply God. To deny this would be like supposing that the discovery that the Earth is not the only planet in our solar system implies God or intelligent life on other planets.

Being a planet does not imply life on it. Just because Earth and Jupiter are planets, that doesn't mean Jupiter has intelligent life. And it certainly doesn't imply that Jupiter has more than intelligent life, whatever that would be.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 01:08 am
@nerdfiles,
I use the term knowledge creation simply because knowledge is not discovered. Facts are discovered, the knowledge is created through the method by which those facts are interpreted and applied. There is no prejoration implied.

As for the prize winner's findings, of course what he found does not prove the existence of anything "supernatural". The filter through which he interpreted 'the facts' implies to many that there may be something outside of our ability to experience empirically. Its not all that convincing to me, as I prefer my religion a little more mystical and think that trying to prove it scientifically is a waste of everyone's time.

As for his theories I find them interesting.
0 Replies