Can you doubt you exist

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:52 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
I don't think there are any things that do not exist. So I do not see how things that do not exist can be composed of anything.

Perhaps you have in mind not things that do not exist (since, as I pointed out, there are none) but the concepts or the ideas of Santa Claus, or of mermaids, or of, as another example, centaurs. The idea of a centaur can be said to be composed of the ideas of a man's head conjoined to a horse's body. But, since there are no centaurs, there are no men's head conjoined to the bodies of horses.

It is important to keep separate the idea of something from the something itself. Ideas of centaurs there are. But centaurs there are none.

Well, there are things that do not exist. You make the example of centaurs, which do not exist. The idea of a centaur is composed of real things, a man's head and a horse's body, but creatures with the head of a man and the body of a horse do not exist.

Sure, we can conceive of these things. But these things we conceive of, which do not exist, are composed of real things that do exist.

We can think of Santa, ect, but we will never meet him because he does not exist. He is a composition of real things, arranged in the mind in a particular fashion, but that arrangement will not be found anywhere else.
Fido

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
@Jessica phil,
Jessica wrote:
Can we doubt we exist?

We? Are you pregnant, or do you have a mouse in your pocket? I can doubt I exist. I can doubt existence. Certainty is hard to come by, and pointless anyway. Here is the thing: I sort of believe in God, about like I sort of believe in existence, and I doubt God too. The thing is that as humanity has grown bigger God has grown bigger, and while people in olden days could take a ladder or a bean stalk to heaven, God has always been just beyond our reach even as our arms have grown. In any event with our great big cosmos taking great big energy to make, one has to concede to God enormous powers, and if God has such powers then he does not need DNA to make people real. God could, with unlimited powers make anyone out of nothing and give to them as nothing a sense of existence as matter. Isn't it all rather pointless since death will someday steal us away as though we have never been? Will we exist then. Will you exist? Will I exist? Soul is animus, and when that is gone we are gone. So no; I have no reason to say I exist. I live, and humanity exists; and will only exist as long as humanity keeps its life passing from one unbeliever to the next.
Fido

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, there are things that do not exist. You make the example of centaurs, which do not exist. The idea of a centaur is composed of real things, a man's head and a horse's body, but creatures with the head of a man and the body of a horse do not exist.

Sure, we can conceive of these things. But these things we conceive of, which do not exist, are composed of real things that do exist.

We can think of Santa, ect, but we will never meet him because he does not exist. He is a composition of real things, arranged in the mind in a particular fashion, but that arrangement will not be found anywhere else.

Just as a point of information: Res from which we get our word reality, means Thing. To say things not real exist is false. If they do not exist they are not things, and are not real. Look at all of the moral concepts we try to breath some meaning into. Does it not strike you as strange that no one ever stands up in court and says: I am going home? Justice is not real, and no example of it can be shown, and for that reason blind justice is always pictured weighing air. The greatest effort of our lives and the balance of our thoughts is spent in trying to give meaning to moral concepts that few enough give any physical reality to. It is more non sense than humanity deserves.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:06 pm
@Jessica phil,
Quote:
Just as a point of information: Res from which we get our word reality, means Thing. To say things not real exist is false. If they do not exist they are not things, and are not real. Look at all of the moral concepts we try to breath some meaning into. Does it not strike you as strange that no one ever stands up in court and says: I am going home? Justice is not real, and no example of it can be shown, and for that reason blind justice is always pictured weighing air. The greatest effort of our lives and the balance of our thoughts is spent in trying to give meaning to moral concepts that few enough give any physical reality to. It is more non sense than humanity deserves.

The etymology of a word does not establish the meaning of a word. Santa Claus is something that does not exist. If I'm wrong, introduce me to him.
You are right that justice does not exist, some actions are just. Though I'm not sure what justice and Santa Claus not existing have to do with each other.
0 Replies

ThouAreThat

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:43 pm
@Jessica phil,
[CENTER]I AM EXISTENCE

I am the lifting mist.
I am the floating cloud.
I am the crystal gem.
I am the snow flake now.
I am the illumination of the sun within me.
I am the rain drop falling.
I am the clear waters accelerating splash.
I am the wave on the ocean.
I am the ocean now.
I am now infinite.
I am the ocean now within me.
I am the infinite consciousness of all my manifestations.

[/CENTER]
saiboimushi

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 02:01 am
@ThouAreThat,
Perhaps we cannot doubt that we exist, though I am not entirely clear why. Aedes makes a great point when he says that, if our being is predicated solely upon our thinking, then during those times when we do not think, we do not exist. I think "our consciousness" (whatever it is) very likely involves or even comprises self-consciousness. But even if it doesn't, "our consciousness" indicates that there is something. It intimates being. But what is being?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:26 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

But there are no things that do not exist. Santa Claus is not a thing (or person). After all, to say that Santa Claus does not exist, is not to say that there is something called Santa Claus that does not exist, That would be self-contradictory. So, when we say that Santa does not exist, we are not talking about someone called, "Santa", because there is no one called "Santa" to talk about. After all, if it is true that Santa does not exist, then how could there be a Santa? It would make no sense. So the question is, what are we saying when we say that Santa does not exist. We are, I think, saying that a certain concept, namely the concept of a jolly old elf who brings Christmas presents to good little girls and boys; that that concept has no referent. So, when we say that Santa does not exist, we are not talking about someone called "Santa", for, as I already pointed out, there is no one called "Santa" to talk about. Rather, we are talking about a certain concept (or idea, if that pleases you more), and we are saying about that concept that it has no referent (or object).

Of course, as I already pointed out, Santa cannot be composed of anything, since Santa does not exist. But, the idea or the concept of Santa can (in a manner of speaking) be composed of other ideas, like the idea of a jolly old elf, etc.

There is no Santa, but there is the idea or the concept of Santa. And those, of course, are different. Just as the idea or the concept of an elephant is different from an elephant, In the case of the idea of an elephant, of course, that idea (concept) has a referent (object). But, in the case of the idea (concept) of Santa, that idea (concept) has no referent or object.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:32 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
We? . I can doubt existence.

As I pointed out, we can certainly doubt we exist. We can, I suppose, doubt anything I please. But, the question seems to me to be whether it is possible rationally to doubt that we exist. And that is a very different question. The answer seems to be, no. Since for me to doubt I exist is self-refuting, since in order for me to doubt that I exist, I must exist. So the doubt refutes itself, and thus is a doubt, all right, but not a rational doubt.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 11:33 am
@Jessica phil,
Quote:
Santa Claus is not a thing (or person). After all, to say that Santa Claus does not exist, is not to say that there is something called Santa Claus that does not exist, That would be self-contradictory.

The concept of Santa Claus is of a thing, of a person. The concept is not a thing, but the concept is of a thing. There is a concept, Santa Claus, of a thing that does not exist.

Just as I can imagine a giant flying spaghetti monster that rules the universe, I can imagine Santa Claus. Neither exist.

Quote:
So, when we say that Santa does not exist, we are not talking about someone called, "Santa", because there is no one called "Santa" to talk about. After all, if it is true that Santa does not exist, then how could there be a Santa? It would make no sense. So the question is, what are we saying when we say that Santa does not exist. We are, I think, saying that a certain concept, namely the concept of a jolly old elf who brings Christmas presents to good little girls and boys; that that concept has no referent. So, when we say that Santa does not exist, we are not talking about someone called "Santa", for, as I already pointed out, there is no one called "Santa" to talk about. Rather, we are talking about a certain concept (or idea, if that pleases you more), and we are saying about that concept that it has no referent (or object).

And concepts are something. Surely concepts cannot be nothing, otherwise we would not have them.

When we say Santa Claus does not exist, we mean that the thing Santa, of which I can conceive, does not exist. If we say Santa (concept) does not exist, we are obviously wrong. Only Santa (thing) does not exist.

Quote:
Of course, as I already pointed out, Santa cannot be composed of anything, since Santa does not exist. But, the idea or the concept of Santa can (in a manner of speaking) be composed of other ideas, like the idea of a jolly old elf, etc.

There is no Santa, but there is the idea or the concept of Santa. And those, of course, are different. Just as the idea or the concept of an elephant is different from an elephant, In the case of the idea of an elephant, of course, that idea (concept) has a referent (object). But, in the case of the idea (concept) of Santa, that idea (concept) has no referent or object.

Semantics aside, it seems we generally agree.

Though I will say that Santa (concept) does refer to real things (object). The concept of concepts (like Santa) are derived from real things (like the color red, and human being, and the emotion jolly).

Quote:
But, the question seems to me to be whether it is possible rationally to doubt that we exist. And that is a very different question. The answer seems to be, no. Since for me to doubt I exist is self-refuting, since in order for me to doubt that I exist, I must exist. So the doubt refutes itself, and thus is a doubt, all right, but not a rational doubt.

"in order for me to doubt that I exist, I must exist" Sure, if you are doubting, you exist. But isn't there room to doubt whether or not you are doubting? Sure, there is doubt, and something to recognize that doubt, but we still have room to ask what is doing the doubting.

That there is doubt removes any reasonable ability to doubt that something exists. But that there is doubt still leaves many questions unanswered, enough questions that I think we can reasonably doubt whether or not we (the individual I) exists.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 01:54 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The concept of Santa Claus is of a thing, of a person. The concept is not a thing, but the concept is of a thing. There is a concept, Santa Claus, of a thing that does not exist.

Just as I can imagine a giant flying spaghetti monster that rules the universe, I can imagine Santa Claus. Neither exist.

And concepts are something. Surely concepts cannot be nothing, otherwise we would not have them.

When we say Santa Claus does not exist, we mean that the thing Santa, of which I can conceive, does not exist. If we say Santa (concept) does not exist, we are obviously wrong. Only Santa (thing) does not exist.

Semantics aside, it seems we generally agree.

Though I will say that Santa (concept) does refer to real things (object). The concept of concepts (like Santa) are derived from real things (like the color red, and human being, and the emotion jolly).

"in order for me to doubt that I exist, I must exist" Sure, if you are doubting, you exist. But isn't there room to doubt whether or not you are doubting? Sure, there is doubt, and something to recognize that doubt, but we still have room to ask what is doing the doubting.

That there is doubt removes any reasonable ability to doubt that something exists. But that there is doubt still leaves many questions unanswered, enough questions that I think we can reasonably doubt whether or not we (the individual I) exists.

That's right. Santa Claus does not exist (there is no Santa Clause) but the concept of Santa Claus exists. Therefore, there is no Santa to be composed of anything. And, of course, as I just said, the concept of Santa Claus exists, but since there is no Santa Claus, the concept of Santa Claus has no referent in the world. That doesn't mean that there is no concept of Santa Claus, it means there is no Santa Claus. The concept exists, but what it is a concept of, does not exist. And since there is no Santa Claus, the concept of Santa Clause does not refer to anything at all.
The concept is composed of (perhaps) other concepts, like the concept of being jolly.

It is true that if I doubt that I exist, then I must exist. Let's get that settled.
Now you ask whether I can doubt that I am doubting. Yes. But if you doubt that you are doubting, then, of course, you must be doubting. Isn't that true, for you are doubting that you are doubting. So, doubting that you are doubting is also self-refuting, for if you doubt that you are doubting, then, you must be doubting.

What are the questions by which one can reasonably doubt when one exists. You say there are some, but you do not mention what they are.

But it is clear that doubting that one exists is self-refuting, and doubting that one doubts is self-refuting. So, if the question is whether one can rationally doubt that one exists, the answer seems to be, no.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:32 am
@Jessica phil,
Quote:
That's right. Santa Claus does not exist (there is no Santa Clause) but the concept of Santa Claus exists. Therefore, there is no Santa to be composed of anything. And, of course, as I just said, the concept of Santa Claus exists, but since there is no Santa Claus, the concept of Santa Claus has no referent in the world. That doesn't mean that there is no concept of Santa Claus, it means there is no Santa Claus. The concept exists, but what it is a concept of, does not exist. And since there is no Santa Claus, the concept of Santa Clause does not refer to anything at all.
The concept is composed of (perhaps) other concepts, like the concept of being jolly.

Right, and so what we conceive of as Santa Claus references reality. The concept of something Santa Claus is composed, essentially, of somethings we are familiar with. Jolly being an example thereof.

Quote:
It is true that if I doubt that I exist, then I must exist. Let's get that settled.
Now you ask whether I can doubt that I am doubting. Yes. But if you doubt that you are doubting, then, of course, you must be doubting. Isn't that true, for you are doubting that you are doubting. So, doubting that you are doubting is also self-refuting, for if you doubt that you are doubting, then, you must be doubting.

What are the questions by which one can reasonably doubt when one exists. You say there are some, but you do not mention what they are.

But to begin with the premise that I am doubting, only to conclude that I exist is circular. It's the same as saying 'red cars are the best cars, so red cars must be the best cars'.

I think the questions stem, primarily, from one question - what is doubting? As best we can tell, there is doubt. We have to ask what is doubting. Generally we like to say I am doubting, referring to some individual self, and this tendency may be on target. But it might just as easily be misguided.

Quote:
But it is clear that doubting that one exists is self-refuting, and doubting that one doubts is self-refuting. So, if the question is whether one can rationally doubt that one exists, the answer seems to be, no.

We can doubt that one doubts, that's the point. We cannot doubt that there is doubt, nor can we doubt that something exists. But we can question the nature of what exists and what is doubting.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:16 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Right, and so what we conceive of as Santa Claus references reality. The concept of something Santa Claus is composed, essentially, of somethings we are familiar with. Jolly being an example thereof.

But to begin with the premise that I am doubting, only to conclude that I exist is circular. It's the same as saying 'red cars are the best cars, so red cars must be the best cars'.

I think the questions stem, primarily, from one question - what is doubting? As best we can tell, there is doubt. We have to ask what is doubting. Generally we like to say I am doubting, referring to some individual self, and this tendency may be on target. But it might just as easily be misguided.

We can doubt that one doubts, that's the point. We cannot doubt that there is doubt, nor can we doubt that something exists. But we can question the nature of what exists and what is doubting.

I don't think it true that Santa Claus references reality. I don't think I really know what that means. There is no Santa Claus. (Even it that makes you cry Smile). There is the concept, or the idea, or the thought, of Santa Claus. And of course, the proper noun, "Santa Claus". But the proper noun, "Santa Claus" does not refer to anything, for, as we both know, there is no Santa Claus. "Santa Claus" (the proper noun) is like the proper noun, "Easter Bunny". There is nothing to which either refer. But you may be thinking of a different noun phrase, namely, "The concept of Santa Claus". Now, like the noun phrase, "The concept of the Easter Bunny" it does have a referent. Its referent is, of course, the concept of Santa Claus. So we have to make the distinction between the proper noun, "Santa Claus" which has no referent; and the noun phrase, "The concept of Santa Claus" which does have a referent. And we should not mix them up, and think that because the noun phrase, "The concept of Santa Claus" has a referent, that the proper noun, "Santa Claus" also has a referent. After all, some nouns, and noun phrases have referents, and some do not. "Elephant" has a referent, and "unicorn" and "mermaid" do not. Both "the concept of elephant" and "elephant" have referents (but, of course, not the same one!); but although "the concept of unicorn" does have a referent, "unicorn" does not. The main thing is not to mix up concepts and what they are concepts of (if anything).

I don't see what is circular about the argument, I think, therefore I exist. No more than the argument, I walk, therefore I exist. (Or even, I walk, therefore I have legs). It is not analogous to your red car argument, which is of course, circular. I don't see why you think it is.

I have not really considered what else you say, but whether there is, or is not a point in doubting that you doubt, or what you mean by asking whether there is a point, it seems to me to have nothing to do with the truth that if you doubt you doubt, then you must be doubting, so that to doubt that you doubt is self-refuting. And of course, we can question the nature of what exists, and of what is doubting. And we should. But, again, that has nothing to do with the rationality of either doubting one exists, and doubting that one doubts. We have to keep separate questions separate. Don't you agree?
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:18 pm
@Jessica phil,
Quote:
I don't think it true that Santa Claus references reality. I don't think I really know what that means. There is no Santa Claus. (Even it that makes you cry ). There is the concept, or the idea, or the thought, of Santa Claus. And of course, the proper noun, "Santa Claus". But the proper noun, "Santa Claus" does not refer to anything, for, as we both know, there is no Santa Claus. "Santa Claus" (the proper noun) is like the proper noun, "Easter Bunny". There is nothing to which either refer. But you may be thinking of a different noun phrase, namely, "The concept of Santa Claus". Now, like the noun phrase, "The concept of the Easter Bunny" it does have a referent. Its referent is, of course, the concept of Santa Claus. So we have to make the distinction between the proper noun, "Santa Claus" which has no referent; and the noun phrase, "The concept of Santa Claus" which does have a referent. And we should not mix them up, and think that because the noun phrase, "The concept of Santa Claus" has a referent, that the proper noun, "Santa Claus" also has a referent. After all, some nouns, and noun phrases have referents, and some do not. "Elephant" has a referent, and "unicorn" and "mermaid" do not. Both "the concept of elephant" and "elephant" have referents (but, of course, not the same one!); but although "the concept of unicorn" does have a referent, "unicorn" does not. The main thing is not to mix up concepts and what they are concepts of (if anything).

But the concept Santa Claus is composed of concepts that refer to reality. Jolly, for example, is grounded in reality, as with every other quality ascribed to the concept Santa Claus. Of course there is no Santa Claus apart from the concept, but that concept is derived from reality. Even unicorn and mermaid are grounded in reality. A mermaid (concept) is composed of a human being, which is real, and a fish, which is real.

I'm just echoing Hume's arguments regarding the origin of what is imagined. Do I need to reread his Enquiry?

Quote:
I don't see what is circular about the argument, I think, therefore I exist. No more than the argument, I walk, therefore I exist. (Or even, I walk, therefore I have legs). It is not analogous to your red car argument, which is of course, circular. I don't see why you think it is.

Because it begins with the assumption that you exist, "I think" and concludes that I exist. The argument's premise assumes self, and then concludes that self exists. That is the definition of circular.

Quote:
We have to keep separate questions separate. Don't you agree?

Do trees have leaves? Do trees have branches? These are separate questions, yet closely related. Why separate them? They boil down to one question - what is a tree? Just like our question - what is doubting? From that question, we can raise many others.
Fido

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
From my perch above the fray, it appears that the doubt of existence is universal. Why did kufu build the pyamid if he did not want to shout for all time that he existed upon the parched Egyptian sands? When do we cease to say we exist and once existed with countless monuments over countless tombs? I have built great stuctures with men who gave their life to their trade, and how will I never know they existed without the memory of them there. The buildings I built I have seen torn down take a bit of my life to the land fill, and yours too. And is this all? Don't we all suffer the same fate in death, of space without purpose, and matter without meaning? To me, that is why all of our time awake is spent in relationships, and in forms of relationship, because they give us a sense of being real. And how can we doubt such a thing? It is easy to see the wind blowing away our tracks before we drop dead in them. We look to the living and they drop away from our sight, and all they did, and all they were, is buried under a heap of time. Tell me I am real. Tell me this illusion of life is not my own hallucination. Tell me we are in this together. Recognize me, and I'll recognize you and tell you you are real.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 06:39 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But the concept Santa Claus is composed of concepts that refer to reality. Jolly, for example, is grounded in reality, as with every other quality ascribed to the concept Santa Claus. Of course there is no Santa Claus apart from the concept, but that concept is derived from reality. Even unicorn and mermaid are grounded in reality. A mermaid (concept) is composed of a human being, which is real, and a fish, which is real.

I'm just echoing Hume's arguments regarding the origin of what is imagined. Do I need to reread his Enquiry?

Because it begins with the assumption that you exist, "I think" and concludes that I exist. The argument's premise assumes self, and then concludes that self exists. That is the definition of circular.

Do trees have leaves? Do trees have branches? These are separate questions, yet closely related. Why separate them? They boil down to one question - what is a tree? Just like our question - what is doubting? From that question, we can raise many others.

I think I wrote that, in a manner of speaking, the concept of Santa Claus is composed of other concepts. But I thought that you said that Santa Claus, and not the concept of Santa Claus, was composed of something or other, and I pointed out that must be false because there is no Santa Claus, and so, there is nothing that Santa Claus can be composed of. I think I am right in saying that you had not distinguished between Santa Claus and the concept of Santa Claus. Hume, of course, made that distinction, and although I have qualms about saying that even concepts are composed of this or that, what I think you now mean is right. But talk about objects is one thing; and talk about concepts, even concepts that refer to objects, is a different thing, and we should not confuse the concept with the object, particularly when the object does not exist, as in the case of Santa Claus. Even at the end of your present post you say that a mermaid (concept) is composed of a human being. But that cannot be correct. What you must mean is that the concept of a mermaid has, as one of its components, the concept of a human being. Isn't that right?

I think, therefore, I exist is really a conditional, or a hypothetical, argument, as follows:

1. If I think, then I exist.
2. I think.

Therefore, 3, I exist.

So, in the first premise, nothing is being assumed about whether there is a self. In the second premise, there is no assumption about what "I" refers to. Descartes, it is true, later on, does seem to assume that "I" refers to what you call a "self". But that assumption is not necessary to the argument. The personal pronoun, "I" may simply refer to utterer of those words, " I think" or, "I am", leaving it quite open what or who it is that is the utterer. It need not be a "self" (whatever that is). The words are uttered, and therefore there must be an utterer. That is all there is.

Trees have leaves and branches, and those are connected. Yet, one can just consider the branches and the leaves quite separately. I don't know how accurate your analogy is. But even if two different things are connected, that does not mean that they cannot, and should not be, considered separately as well. And it may very well be that the connection (whatever it is) cannot be adequately understood unless what are connected is first considered separately. If I go to a physician with a cut on my finger, it is true that my finger is a part of my hand, but the physician might well believe that he can treat my finger without being concerned with the hand. How about that analogy? One has to pick the appropriate analogy.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:18 am
@Jessica phil,
From the Buddhist point of view their is no self, so in that philosophy you don't exists in you're own right. The reason being that every thing is impermanent and reliant upon cause and effect. At one point you didn't exist, and at another you wont. so your existence is not inherent and their by not truly reality.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
@vajrasattva,
vajrasattva wrote:
From the Buddhist point of view their is no self, so in that philosophy you don't exists in you're own right. The reason being that every thing is impermanent and reliant upon cause and effect. At one point you didn't exist, and at another you wont. so your existence is not inherent and their by not truly reality.

So who is it doing the doubting when he doubts that he exists?
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:42 am
@Jessica phil,
Jessica wrote:
Can we doubt we exist?

Yes, and No. In meany more way's than one...

Yes you can doubt your existance, but you could only doubt that you dont exist within a state other than the one your currently in.(mental or physical state).

No you can not doubt that you exist, because it would only be a lie to your self, mainly due to the fact you would have to consciencly think of the reason why there would be doubt, and in doing so you would find proof why we exist, so therefore you would have doubt about haveing doubt that we donot exist, so that act would cancel out the act of doubt over if we exist or not.

These kind of conflicts happen all the time within the mind's of people, yet there are not meany time's were those conflict's create physical problem's for the people that have the conflicts, yet doubting that one exist, or anyone even exist,

(You only exist if you say you do, therefore you make your self exist)
(If you say you do not exist, you still exist because other's say you exist, therefore making you exist, or have a preceivable existance.)

There are even more way's why it is Yes, and even more way's why its No.

But both way's point to the fact that that the answer must not be a yes or a no, therefore understanding of why it is not yes or no would have to be given.
And that would be the concept of---> (All thing's are what you say they are, and in doing so you make them what they are.) This applie's to all lang's and perception alike.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:09 pm
@Jessica phil,
I believe that we don't exist intrinsically because their is no logical first cause. Extrinsically however we must because epistemologically we have to.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:56 pm
@Jessica phil,
Quote:
I think I wrote that, in a manner of speaking, the concept of Santa Claus is composed of other concepts. But I thought that you said that Santa Claus, and not the concept of Santa Claus, was composed of something or other, and I pointed out that must be false because there is no Santa Claus, and so, there is nothing that Santa Claus can be composed of. I think I am right in saying that you had not distinguished between Santa Claus and the concept of Santa Claus. Hume, of course, made that distinction, and although I have qualms about saying that even concepts are composed of this or that, what I think you now mean is right. But talk about objects is one thing; and talk about concepts, even concepts that refer to objects, is a different thing, and we should not confuse the concept with the object, particularly when the object does not exist, as in the case of Santa Claus. Even at the end of your present post you say that a mermaid (concept) is composed of a human being. But that cannot be correct. What you must mean is that the concept of a mermaid has, as one of its components, the concept of a human being. Isn't that right?
Yes, you made the distinction between the concept of Santa Claus and an actual Santa Claus. I didn't think the issue was worth worry over as I assumed we could all agree that Santa Claus from the Mall is about as real as Santa Claus gets.

Yes, mermaid, the concept, is composed of concepts which refer to reality. Mermaids (object) do not exist, only mermaids (concept); however, even mermaid concept does refer to reality because it is composed of concepts that refer to reality, per Hume's arguments.

Quote:
So, in the first premise, nothing is being assumed about whether there is a self. In the second premise, there is no assumption about what "I" refers to. Descartes, it is true, later on, does seem to assume that "I" refers to what you call a "self". But that assumption is not necessary to the argument. The personal pronoun, "I" may simply refer to utterer of those words, " I think" or, "I am", leaving it quite open what or who it is that is the utterer. It need not be a "self" (whatever that is). The words are uttered, and therefore there must be an utterer. That is all there is.
You're right, the self is assumed in the second premise when the argument is rephrased. Where you prefer to make the assumption is fine with me, none the less, the assumption remains.

As for what "I" may refer to, yes, I could refer to something like you describe. But that was my whole point. "I think, therefore I am" does not work if the "I" is some individual self. If we reconsider "I", and find it to be something other than what Descartes thought "I" to be, there may be some hope for the basic mold of his argument.

Quote:
Trees have leaves and branches, and those are connected. Yet, one can just consider the branches and the leaves quite separately. I don't know how accurate your analogy is. But even if two different things are connected, that does not mean that they cannot, and should not be, considered separately as well. And it may very well be that the connection (whatever it is) cannot be adequately understood unless what are connected is first considered separately. If I go to a physician with a cut on my finger, it is true that my finger is a part of my hand, but the physician might well believe that he can treat my finger without being concerned with the hand. How about that analogy? One has to pick the appropriate analogy.
Right, pick the appropriate analogy. From the question "what doubts?" we can raise many other relevant questions. The finger isn't the part with the cut, the whole hand is missing. We could just find the palm, and maybe that's the best place to start, but I'd like to have my fingers, too.
0 Replies