Can you doubt you exist

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Well the way I heard it Schopenhaur said that when I die the world will die with me. ,Recently some gun man shot up a mall, and he said: now I'll be famous. Living people can be famous; but dead people are just dead. We cannot expect the dead to find meaning as we do in what living people do. Meaning is a far better expression than being, because if I were dead the world might still have being, but no meaning to me because meaning is a thing of life to such an extent that we give much meaning to stuff that has no actual being. Life is meaning, and as long as you live you can find meaning.

Sorry, I did not mean the potential of morality, and meaning. I meant actual physical potential. Example- the organic waste of the human body (dead) would act as nutrients to other life. The example is crude but works.
Yes I understand that not existing means not being able obtain potential or meaning. Potential will only flow one way, away from the non experiencer.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 11:27 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Holiday:)

That seems like a play on words because it is like saying that since chaos has no form it can't manifest even though it is 'pure potential'
To be manifest, is to have taken on form, form itself is limitation in being, again, chaos is pure potential, because it is without form.

When you say chaos do u mean randomness?Smile
Would chaos be the opposite of causality, flow of time.:confused:
boagie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 05:37 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
When you say chaos do u mean randomness?Smile
Would chaos be the opposite of causality, flow of time.:confused:

Holiday,Smile

Chaos, just feeling my way around here, could be defined by the lack of order or arrangement, though apparently there is some order to be found in chaos. Causality it seems to me a term that gets tossed out there all the time, yet, no one seems to know its nature, perhaps it infers the gathering of the elements, in which case, it would look like chaos. The time arrow, time does seem to go in one direction, until you realize, there is no direction.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 01:33 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Holiday,Smile

Chaos, just feeling my way around here, could be defined by the lack of order or arrangement, though apparently there is some order to be found in chaos. Causality it seems to me a term that gets tossed out there all the time, yet, no one seems to know its nature, perhaps it infers the gathering of the elements, in which case, it would look like chaos. The time arrow, time does seem to go in one direction, until you realize, there is no direction.

Could causality be defined as a level of randomness vs. perfect order, pattern without anomalies. Both randomness and 'perfect order' are constants but asymptotes that would not make sense to perfectly exist in this universe.
And as I see from what you tell me 'chaos' would be at the verge of complete randomness.
Universe can't exist without anomalies but there is no randomness. Would there be an evidence of a correlation between matter's relative size to us at the 'macro' level and causality. Being that at a smaller level, like VERY small, matter becomes random. And at a larger scale matter becomes uniform. Or perhaps vice versa. I don't really feel informed enough on physics to say.
Then causality would be an illusion because it would not make sense for there to be a concrete force advocating a fundamental. It has to be created by something, like time acting in a certain way. Perhaps by how it flows from instance to instance.
And you could go further by saying, ok, time is a force (space time, mingles with gravity in a sense); so causality in the universe is advocated by a actual forces of nature. In a human sense, causality is the reasoning behind an action as to what effect it will have afterwards. The corresponding 'force' could be morality? so long as emotion isn't the majority of what is governing logic. And instead of larger matter vs. smaller matter I could say bigger choices vs. smaller choices, in the sense of importance; governed by emotion.
[ATTACH]16[/ATTACH]
I am basing this on a scale of assumptions that I can't even say are true or not. And if the graph was attached properly then I believe it would only make sense at a 3D scale; and I have yet to figure out the x axis, or z or whatever it may be.
For everybody reading this plz correct me, I am lost but compelled to understand.:confused::confused::confused:
Thanks.
0 Replies

urangutan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 01:35 pm
@Aedes,
The existence of heaven and hell and the matters of life and death are proofs that we exist. I would like to think that I could disolve myself out of the past to prove that I never did. Not until the dust of my of my bones has faded from the sky, will I have reached the state of nirvana. Until then I exist. Whether it is in the form of an ocean slug or a tree dwelling ape.

This is not the definition of reincarnation, rather it is that of life. One cannot expect to live as a human being and never be the source of food or fuel that supports life. So today you are who you are and tomorrow you may be something else, if yesterday you weren't already that.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:08 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:
The existence of heaven and hell and the matters of life and death are proofs that we exist. I would like to think that I could disolve myself out of the past to prove that I never did.

Why would you want to dissolve yourself from the past. The past in an inner sense, tells you who you are and has influence on your actions. Nirvana is a state reached by death right?, just as long as one has lived a fulfilling life with benevolence. But while you are living you would have to remain pure of heart. Taking pride in the past adds to the importance of the future. There is always something to learn from an event. Unless you want to dissolve yourself of a completely chaotic past, but not pandemonium.
Nocturne

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:29 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Can you doubt that you exist? Yes. Can you be certain that you exist? Yes.

If certainty is what you want then certainty is easily had, and by no means does it require any thoughtful investigation. Many people throughout history have been certain, absolutely so, of something or another, and often quite as certain that others, equally assured of opposing views, have been wrong. The problem with certainty, if misplaced, is its resistence to change, even when its persistence can have terrible consequences. I, for one, do not follow Descartes with his aversion to doubt, but instead I encourage doubt, and I persist in doubting even that which I cannot imagine to be false--that is my defence against conceit and hubris. I do not consider it a problem when some opinion, view, theory, proposition, or whatever, is open to doubt, but instead I think it is a problem when there is certainty, for certitude is the harbinger of dogma, irrevocable doctrine, and is the death of rationality.
urangutan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
@Nocturne,
Nah, Holiday20310401 it is about becoming the decay that helps in the building of new life, not ones own but that of others. Imagine you are at the end of your life, you know how much food you have eaten, how much mess your car put into the atmosphere, ect, ect.... Now ask yourself, how much of this existance has been catered for through your experiences. The soul owns this knowledge and while the body may decay into the earth, the mind is alive while the soul follows the decay. Heaven and hell is how you experience any existence, that of a human, (though it should not be) or that of a plant or cow. My intention is to fulfil this goal.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:02 pm
@urangutan,
The soul owns this knowledge and while the body may decay into the earth, the mind is alive while the soul follows the decay. Heaven and hell is how you experience any existence, that of a human, (though it should not be) or that of a plant or cow. My intention is to fulfil this goal.[/quote]

How is the mind still alive after death?!:confused: It is dependent upon perceivance. The soul is not. Yes I suppose it would seem fulfilling for the soul to decay, but that is very pessimistic. As long as your intentions in life were sane then your soul is good.
Also, when you say heaven and hell are you saying that life is either one of the two?
urangutan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:22 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday, I cannot imagine that the soul can decay, just simply cease to be. It is the body that decays. By the term mind I do not mean the brain but the essence of life that the soul can associate with the host, be it memory or awakening awareness and the senses outside of the life. Heaven and hell are just levels of experience. Just like falling from a plane without a parachute is a hell of an experience, that same fall with the knowledge that a parachute will open to prevent the inevitable can be viewed as a heavenly thing. All the while there is an in between.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:07 pm
@urangutan,
urangutan wrote:
Holiday, I cannot imagine that the soul can decay, just simply cease to be. It is the body that decays. By the term mind I do not mean the brain but the essence of life that the soul can associate with the host, be it memory or awakening awareness and the senses outside of the life. Heaven and hell are just levels of experience. Just like falling from a plane without a parachute is a hell of an experience, that same fall with the knowledge that a parachute will open to prevent the inevitable can be viewed as a heavenly thing. All the while there is an in between.

What we call soul the Greeks called animus, and animus can decay, die, and pass from memory. The stuff we are made of exists. No doubt about the material nature of our existence. But humans are not what they are made of, but are life made possible by what we are made of, which is usually other forms of life. We could be reduced to minerals, but why? We do not eat minerals, but life to sustain our lives, and it has always been so.
Heaven and hell are not levels of experience, but of speculation. We don't know; but we prefer hell to ignorance or nothing. Unfortunately, pointless speculation is not a substitute for knowledge, but only a different form of ignorance.
0 Replies

BassPlayer

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:25 pm
@Aedes,
Objectively, we exist because we create the meaning of existance. However, I believe we may not exist simply because there is a chance that we don't.
Fido

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:46 pm
@BassPlayer,
BassPlayer wrote:
Objectively, we exist because we create the meaning of existance. However, I believe we may not exist simply because there is a chance that we don't.

That we live is the most undeniable subjective fact we can know, but existence must last in time, beyond our own being to be real. What we want, and what all of our forms of relationship support is the sense that life will go on after us, so we can be like all else we feel exists, having a tangible reality and being stable in time. We want to give the subjective sense of existence through life a sort of objective reality that it will never quite have. Further, we do not create the meaning of existence, but the support of life, and life itself gives all things meaning, and value in relation to whether they support life, detract from life, or are neutral.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 09:47 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
That we live is the most undeniable subjective fact we can know, but existence must last in time, beyond our own being to be real.

That seems rather contradictory and I am completely lost. Yes we live, duh
. If you are saying that existence must be for eternity then does it become important whether or not an entity exists when it cannot perceive and nothing else can perceive it?
urangutan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 02:29 am
@Holiday20310401,
Fido, I certainly don't understand, that you can say, we don't eat minerals. My point about eating is not that we must to survive but that an individual cannot expect to exist as a human and then as no other entity, whether before life as a human, during that life, after it or all.

Yes of course you are correct with your definition of heaven and hell being that of speculation. What one calls a hell of a ride, another calls a ride to hell.

Just one question, by the Greeks definition of animus being capable of decay and such, are we talking of, from the host, as in some mental conditions or are they saying the soul of one departed.
Fido

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:46 pm
@urangutan,
Quote:

urangutan wrote:
Fido, I certainly don't understand, that you can say, we don't eat minerals. My point about eating is not that we must to survive but that an individual cannot expect to exist as a human and then as no other entity, whether before life as a human, during that life, after it or all.
Now it is my turn to say I don't understand your question, since as it is stated, I agree with it. We have one portion of a life that is for all practical purposes, Eternal. Our piece of life we will lose out right unless we can pass it on, but in any event, we die, and that is the pitch black end.
Quote:
Yes of course you are correct with your definition of heaven and hell being that of speculation. What one calls a hell of a ride, another calls a ride to hell.
yes.

Quote:
Just one question, by the Greeks definition of animus being capable of decay and such, are we talking of, from the host, as in some mental conditions or are they saying the soul of one departed.

Don't know. And I don't know if they thought the soul was in some senses eternal, but they seem to with their notion of Hades. My guess is that soul as animus actually refered more to motive force, as in animation, and would be more what we consider as will.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:58 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Fido wrote:
That we live is the most undeniable subjective fact we can know, but existence must last in time, beyond our own being to be real.

That seems rather contradictory and I am completely lost. Yes we live, duh
. If you are saying that existence must be for eternity then does it become important whether or not an entity exists when it cannot perceive and nothing else can perceive it?

I don't think it becomes important whether or not any entity exists. We sense we live, but if we search for objective proof that we live, and are free agents, then we find very little. If people devote great portions of their ability to security, and not only for themselves, but for their children and children's children, even when such behavior actually destabilizes the world and their whole society, it is because objectively, security is illusion. We want to exist, but if as Job, we should lose all our children, then did we ever exist? To exist we need witnesses to that fact. We need forms of relationship that were before us and will be after us for two puposes. One is recognition, and the second is realization. We are made real by our relationships. We know we exist when others say hello, and notice us. But forms of relationship also secure our existence, as does every form of economy which puts food on our tables and clothing on our backs. And we know that our life and our effort, that we put into forms of relationship will carry on after us, giving and taking from our children, friends, and neighbors.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
That we live is the most undeniable subjective fact we can know, but existence must last in time, beyond our own being to be real. What we want, and what all of our forms of relationship support is the sense that life will go on after us, so we can be like all else we feel exists, having a tangible reality and being stable in time. We want to give the subjective sense of existence through life a sort of objective reality that it will never quite have. Further, we do not create the meaning of existence, but the support of life, and life itself gives all things meaning, and value in relation to whether they support life, detract from life, or are neutral.

If a tree falls in the woods and noone knows, did it really happen?

I think that's what bassplayer was getting at here. Our consciousness breathes existence, but we must take into account we are not the only ones conscious. If, however, there was nothing consciously observing the world, some theories point to the universe not even existing. Existence because life exists.
Fido

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 05:45 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
If a tree falls in the woods and noone knows, did it really happen?

I think that's what bassplayer was getting at here. Our consciousness breathes existence, but we must take into account we are not the only ones conscious. If, however, there was nothing consciously observing the world, some theories point to the universe not even existing. Existence because life exists.

It is not that the universe would not exist if we were not here experiencing it; but it would have no meaning, because meaning is a value we assign to bits of existence as they affect our lives. The question about the tree is a simple one. There is an almost universal feeling among people that there is only one existence, though I can't say if this feeling is conscious. Though people some times talk about multiple planes of existence they pretty much all talk only of one existence, or of existence as though it were the monad. If this is true there is no event not connected to all other events, and our ability to percieve their connection does not mean they are not connected. Those people who cannot hear a single tree fall in a distant forest are often in part responsible for global deforestation. It is not the accuity of their hearing that is the problem, but the accuity of their understanding.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 09:23 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
It is not that the universe would not exist if we were not here experiencing it; but it would have no meaning, because meaning is a value we assign to bits of existence as they affect our lives. The question about the tree is a simple one. There is an almost universal feeling among people that there is only one existence, though I can't say if this feeling is conscious. Though people some times talk about multiple planes of existence they pretty much all talk only of one existence, or of existence as though it were the monad. If this is true there is no event not connected to all other events, and our ability to percieve their connection does not mean they are not connected. Those people who cannot hear a single tree fall in a distant forest are often in part responsible for global deforestation. It is not the accuity of their hearing that is the problem, but the accuity of their understanding.

Well, it actually is a theory that the universe wouldn't exist without a conscious viewer. I'm not saying I believe this theory (and the name escapes me right now). As for existence, I do believe there are multiple planes of existence, alternate realties, per se. This is proven to an extent through the double slit experiment and many delves into quantum physics. This September when the hadron collider is turned on, we may learn something more of the quantum world.

Your discussion into the actuity of the understanding of others based on the connectivity of all events doesn't really flow with me. I don't think I quite grasp where you're at with that.