hammersklavier

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:14 pm
@Dustin phil,
It's possible that if the physical world and the mental one are dual in nature, the nature of one may actually reflect the nature of the other. So the known physical law of the conservation of matter may reflect a mental law to the same effect...thereby necessitating reincarnation (because there's only a finite amount of "soul" floating around).
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:23 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Patty, Hi I am Alan Smile

Quote:

As far as i can see, this resembles the doctrines of quantum physicists' that tries to prove God's existence through science. But then again, I find it as an occasion for pantheism and radical materialism. From the standpoint of philosophers who held the existence of spirits as an entity distinct from matter, then this kind of doctrine is not acceptable. If everything were to be understood in terms of energy, and mass, then nothing would give a "real account for distinction" of entities of matter. What individuates a living being from another living beings is his psychical unity, which were and I still believe is what makes an individual and individual and one, though at the same time physiologically extended, meaning has parts. I still believe that the spirit is not quantifiable, for if it is to be accepted, then the spirit just becomes a special term for a particular mode of matter. Also the problem of life should be mentioned here, the theory of biogenesis theory which is very much stronger than abiogensis theory states that life cannot come a non-living being or crude matter. Can pure matter be the intrinsic and intelligent cause of its own actions?

God is inexhaustible self- aware energy and only God Can reverse entropy recycle energy in an eternal ceaseless cycle of creation and destruction

And only God can change energy into matter the reverse of nuclear fusion or antimatter matter annihilation

My thinking :bigsmile:

Gosh maybe I am right ? :perplexed:
Pathfinder

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:37 am
@Dustin phil,
I agree that the term spirit has caused a great amount of confusion when discussing the questions around life and where it comes from and goes to.

Maybe it is not a term that should be used any longer to represent the mysterious forces of life that exist at those energy levels Patty spoke of.

When life is broken down to its minutest particles and stripped of all biological matter, what one chooses to call it really doesn't matter; what matters is that a person actually reaches that level of understanding where they can actually think that deeply. Because it is at this deep level of thought and that intellectual ability that all of this scientific mumbo jumbo and speculation and theorizing can be sorted out from its extremism and cultism.

Many believe that science and biology have proven many theories that are still really nothing more than speculation. And many others believe that religion has provided the unarguable answers they have sought for. But it doesn't matter what we allow ourselves to believe, what matters is what we can learn and what actual truth we can discover as we learn.
0 Replies

Patty phil

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:16 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Patty, Hi I am Alan Smile

God is inexhaustible self- aware energy and only God Can reverse entropy recycle energy in an eternal ceaseless cycle of creation and destruction

And only God can change energy into matter the reverse of nuclear fusion or antimatter matter annihilation

My thinking :bigsmile:

Gosh maybe I am right ? :perplexed:

God is not the inexhaustible self-aware energy. God is a spiritual being, not matter. Don't give definitions of God so as to make it conform it with the laws of thermodynamics. Spirit and Matter are not the same in nature. The world is not part of God.
Pathfinder

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:22 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty,

I am just curious why you speak with an authority that suggests that you are saying facts, when in actuality all any of us can do is suppose what God is.
Patty phil

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:12 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
Patty,

I am just curious why you speak with an authority that suggests that you are saying facts, when in actuality all any of us can do is suppose what God is.

Because I think God cannot be defined with having materiality. We can suppose what God is, but if it can't hold to metaphysical scrutiny, then it isn't. If we are to say that God is matter, he is in space and in time. He is observable, he can be in our grasp. He may have quantity and therefore plurality of parts. If he has parts, then he is divisible. If he is divisible then there is many God. If there are many God's then who's the supreme God? If there is the supreme God, he may be the real God. And in case there are many God's but they are equal, in what virtue are they equal? Do theyu have the same indentiity? if they are the same identity and you cannot tell who's who, then they may only be one and the same.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:36 am
@Patty phil,
Patty

Quote:

God is not the inexhaustible self-aware energy. God is a spiritual being, not matter. Don't give definitions of God so as to make it conform it with the laws of thermodynamics. Spirit and Matter are not the same in nature. The world is not part of God.

With respect Patty how do you know what you have stated is true?

You must admit that it is God the lawmaker that set down the laws of thermodynamics's

And if God if not not Energy or matter how can he create from those mediums?

What exactly is Spirit?? :perplexed:

Anyway maybe I should have said God is the source of all energy

We know that energy can never be created or destroyed only changed.

To me something that can ever be created must originate from a source that is inexhaustible and that source can only be God

Pathfinder

You asked Patty

Quote:
Patty

Exactly God is inscrutable to us and simply beyond any human definition
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:42 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
Because I think God cannot be defined with having materiality. We can suppose what God is, but if it can't hold to metaphysical scrutiny, then it isn't. If we are to say that God is matter, he is in space and in time. He is observable, he can be in our grasp. He may have quantity and therefore plurality of parts. If he has parts, then he is divisible. If he is divisible then there is many God. If there are many God's then who's the supreme God? If there is the supreme God, he may be the real God. And in case there are many God's but they are equal, in what virtue are they equal? Do theyu have the same indentiity? if they are the same identity and you cannot tell who's who, then they may only be one and the same.

I am with you on the material thinking, but what I asked you was more in observation of the fact that you attempt to make your points by saying, " this is not , that is not, there is no way...etc. etc.

When you speak thusly, you do the same as those who preach the opposing views to your opinions with the same authority.

Neither side however owns that authority. Nobody can speak with authority on the matters of spirituality because it is an unknown and all opinions are conjecture.

We can look at the evidences and come to speculations, but we should never come to conclusions and declarations.
Patty phil

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
I am with you on the material thinking, but what I asked you was more in observation of the fact that you attempt to make your points by saying, " this is not , that is not, there is no way...etc. etc.

When you speak thusly, you do the same as those who preach the opposing views to your opinions with the same authority.

Neither side however owns that authority. Nobody can speak with authority on the matters of spirituality because it is an unknown and all opinions are conjecture.

We can look at the evidences and come to speculations, but we should never come to conclusions and declarations.

You are right. I am sorry I spoke authoritatively.

What I did was to at least try to demonstrate why God must not be a material being. To clarify things, when I mention spirit, it is not to be understood as a resort to mysticism. It simply is that which exist without having to be matter.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:09 am
@Dustin phil,
Funny how this conversation turned to God. As I was aware, reincarnation was actually considered blasphemy in the Christian Religion.

Also, I wonder why God must not be made of matter... It is as if you are all stating that A) we can know God and B) that we know and understand all matter of the universe.... Hmmm... Interesting.

So back to topic!

Reincarnation, to me, is not something which occurs over multiple physical lifetimes. To me, it seems more aparent (having read many religious texts and mulitple translations of such) that reincarnation is something which occurs in one lifetime over many tranformations of the self. With each new day, you have a chance at changing yourself for the better or the worse and you have to deal with the consequences of your actions, sometimes over many years (or lifetimes if you will). Karma describes this specifically.

I see reincarnation as the chance we recieve on a daily basis to better ourselves and karma as the cause effect rule of the universe.
Pathfinder

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:20 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Funny how this conversation turned to God. As I was aware, reincarnation was actually considered blasphemy in the Christian Religion.

Also, I wonder why God must not be made of matter... It is as if you are all stating that A) we can know God and B) that we know and understand all matter of the universe.... Hmmm... Interesting.

So back to topic!

Reincarnation, to me, is not something which occurs over multiple physical lifetimes. To me, it seems more aparent (having read many religious texts and mulitple translations of such) that reincarnation is something which occurs in one lifetime over many tranformations of the self. With each new day, you have a chance at changing yourself for the better or the worse and you have to deal with the consequences of your actions, sometimes over many years (or lifetimes if you will). Karma describes this specifically.

I see reincarnation as the chance we recieve on a daily basis to better ourselves and karma as the cause effect rule of the universe.

I would disagree by pointing out that there is no way for an oaf of simple mid to ever attain the levels of intellect of a wise man within his lifetime.

I would also point out that there is likely no way that any wise person has ever attained such levels of wisdom in the course of one lifetime. How could the earliest of our ancestors ever have attained such wisdom to pass it on to their students when their deaths would bring an ubrupt end to any such increasing of wisdom?
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:06 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder

Quote:
I would also point out that there is likely no way that any wise person has ever attained such levels of wisdom in the course of one lifetime. How could the earliest of our ancestors ever have attained such wisdom to pass it on to their students when their deaths would bring an ubrupt end to any such increasing of wisdom?

Yes I agree one earth life time is too short to embrace and earn all we must.

But why do we have to come back to this bland earthly realm? , If I have any say in the matter I will not come back to this grey realm, but move into the light of eternity

The universe is unimaginably immense our world just a tiny almost invisible particle surrounded by an infinity of others
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:13 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
I would disagree by pointing out that there is no way for an oaf of simple mid to ever attain the levels of intellect of a wise man within his lifetime.

Any person with a desire can accomplish. To consider wisdom beyond the reach of anyone is a rather elitist attitude and not conducive to this or any conversation. Wisdom comes in many forms and we are not the judge of what is wisdom. A farmer may not be the most intelligent person in the world but he can tell when it is time to plant simply by watching the weather. Can you do this?

Or the oaf of a sword smith who may not be able to recite poetry but can tell by the feel of the metal what shape the sword will take and the best way to do this.

Or perhaps we should look at the lowly handicapped boy who is beyond all possible hope for your so called wisdom but can look at a field of flowers and hold each petal dear. Is this not wisdom in its own right?

What you mean is knowledge sir and knowledge is the killer of wisdom. Knowledge is only a tool. The wise know how to apply it. Even without extensive knowledge, I have seen men apply what little they know to accomplish great things.

So tell me, are you wise? If you say yes then you cannot be. If you say no then you must not be. Does your wisdom extend to the point of answering this simple question?

Pathfinder wrote:

I am 24 years old and have attained much wisdom in my short time here. If I had to live more than one life then I would have had this wisdom in my youth but I can tell you that I did not. It has come with the price of a broken body, a broken mind and many a broken heart. Still, if a wise man were to have multiple lives, he would not remember them and thus his wisdom would be lost for wisdom comes from lessons learned and lessons learned come from experience and experience comes from memory.
Pathfinder

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
@Icon,
what you are talking about is the difference between skills and hands on abilities. I think we all know the difference between a wise man and an oaf.
Icon

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:52 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
what you are talking about is the difference between skills and hands on abilities. I think we all know the difference between a wise man and an oaf.

So give me an example of a wise man or of wisdom.
0 Replies

Patty phil

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:43 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:

So back to topic!

Because I believe that if God is a matter, then he is limited. The only argument to make God unlimited is to make God and the Universe as having the same identity. In that sense, There would be truly no God if everything is God.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:00 am
@Patty phil,
Patty

Quote:

Because I believe that if God is a matter, then he is limited. The only argument to make God unlimited is to make God and the Universe as having the same identity. In that sense, There would be truly no God if everything is God

If God is separate from matter then he is a being like us albeit Supreme Being

Then we have God sitting on some glorious throne somewhere in the sides of the north, maybe the Orion Nebular

Yes GOD is a being, but God is All BEING

Why cant the universe be self aware and equate to God./ God is more than the universe God is all existence and you cannot restrict the Infinite into any human definition
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:48 pm
@Alan McDougall,
God cannot be a being because a being can be conceived as existing and not existing. As Anselm argues, the question "Does God exist?" is nonsensical: it is not germane to the notion of God.
0 Replies

Patty phil

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:30 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Patty

If God is separate from matter then he is a being like us albeit Supreme Being

Then we have God sitting on some glorious throne somewhere in the sides of the north, maybe the Orion Nebular

Yes GOD is a being, but God is All BEING

Why cant the universe be self aware and equate to God./ God is more than the universe God is all existence and you cannot restrict the Infinite into any human definition

How can you say the the universe is self aware when you know you can think better than a rock? why are there degrees on intellectuality if that were the case?
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:21 am
@Dustin phil,
Didymos,

We are once again getting into a matter of semantics.

Being, God, spirit soul, Creator.

Why do we all insist on trying to draw a face on the balloon?