Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:21 pm
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
Buddism considers life as suffering, and only by suffering you can finally be enlightened.

While I do not like to talk about enlightenment, suffering I do not think is the path to enlightenment, nor have I ever read such a thing in Buddhist literature. Buddhists say life is suffering because living, and the illusion of "you living" (a static self), is the root of suffering. As "self" is illusory, and "self" is the root of suffering, suffering is also illusory.

Enlightenment is something akin to realizing your true nature, not the result of suffering from which we learn.

Quote:
In some way they consider life an illusion, but i never read anything that put it in the same way you do. I'm genuine curious about what books or articles you read, and i want to read them to see your point for it is very interesting.

I'd recomend Robert Thruman's Inner Revolution as a general introduction to Buddhism and Buddhist thought.

Quote:
That makes it so hard, when i am talking about Christianity i am talking about Christianity, it is impossible to take every small offspring from Christianity into account. And the opinion of John and Jane Doe does not matter in the big picture of approx 1.3 Billion Christian believers.

Sure. If we talk about christianity in very general terms, reincarnation is an oddity among beliefs, and probably very little influence over the whole of the Christian population.

Quote:
I understand your point but what you are doing now is instead of using the words good and bad you use the (Christian) terms of Heaven (good) and Hell (bad). If we change heaven in good and hell in bad the whole thing makes more sense, don't you think?

No, because heaven and hell are allegories for our very lives. By living with compassion, kindness, ect, your life is a "heaven", by living with hate, and with concern only for yourself, your life is a "hell".

We do not need to use "heaven" and "hell", but they seem to be quite powerful from a literary perspective.

Dustin - you can quote scripture all you like, you still have not reconciled karma with the OT quidance.

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, is an ethical guidline, while karma is simply the way reality works (according to Buddhists). They are not the same, and do not compliment one another.

Also, I would suggest finding better resources than the site you provide. Karma and the OT law in question are not the same. Find me a Buddhist monk who says otherwise.

Karma is a law like gravity is a law. Eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth is moral prescription for another doing harm to you. Nothing Christ says could disrupt karma; you might argue against karma as a law if you think what Jesus says contradicts karma.
Dustin phil

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas, you are not understanding because of the logic you use.

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.

Are you familiar with the types, shadows and parables of the bible? They don't always mean literally what they say. Systems of valid reasoning and logic have no place in "knowing."

Soon, like discoveries in electricity, people will eventually accept more modern approaches of doing things or be left in the dark. This is where we may differ, and we can probably see no need to go any further.

P.S. The effects of the universe are still only one, no matter how many words are used to describe a particular thing.

P.P.S. I do not think there is a contradiction, nor did I state what Christ says disrupts the law of karma. It is indeed still a working law. If you read again the scriptures I posted, you would understand.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:02 am
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
Didymos Thomas, you are not understanding because of the logic you use.

You might very well be correct, which is why I am hoping you will explain your logic.

Quote:
Are you familiar with the types, shadows and parables of the bible? They don't always mean literally what they say. Systems of valid reasoning and logic have no place in "knowing."

Yes, I am familiar with the Bible. There are a great many threads on this forum that demonstrate my knowledge and thoughts on Christian scripture. We are both in agreement that the text should not be approached as literal truth.

However, I must object to the idea that valid reasoning has no use here. With respect to "knowing" something, I would suggest knowledge is empirical. The use of valid reasoning is when we begin to discuss what we "know" so that we might understand one another.

Quote:
Soon, like discoveries in electricity, people will eventually accept more modern approaches of doing things or be left in the dark. This is where we may differ, and we can probably see no need to go any further.

Go further? We haven't gone anywhere. I'd like to "go further" because I am interested in your views on the matter.
Vasska

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:18 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
While I do not like to talk about enlightenment, suffering I do not think is the path to enlightenment, nor have I ever read such a thing in Buddhist literature. Buddhists say life is suffering because living, and the illusion of "you living" (a static self), is the root of suffering. As "self" is illusory, and "self" is the root of suffering, suffering is also illusory.

Enlightenment is something akin to realizing your true nature, not the result of suffering from which we learn.

I'd recomend Robert Thruman's Inner Revolution as a general introduction to Buddhism and Buddhist thought.

I will see if i can get a copy of his book. I guess it's better to stop this discussion about Buddhism for now till i read the same literature and can discuss it at that level.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Sure. If we talk about christianity in very general terms, reincarnation is an oddity among beliefs, and probably very little influence over the whole of the Christian population.

Yeah, i do not ignore the fact that some Christians believe in reincarnation, and i am happy for them that they do. However when we are talking about Christianity their voices will fade away in the millions of other voices that don't believe it.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

No, because heaven and hell are allegories for our very lives. By living with compassion, kindness, ect, your life is a "heaven", by living with hate, and with concern only for yourself, your life is a "hell".

We do not need to use "heaven" and "hell", but they seem to be quite powerful from a literary perspective.

Heaven and Hell have been allegories in my live when i was little, and did not know about anything else other than God who was watching us. I now differentiate between Good and Bad, and even am questioning that at the very moment. For murder is considered bad, however if i was to kill someone who was the archenemy from my country/culture/beliefs i would have been a hero. Look at stories in the bible; David an Goliath is about murder, David murdered Goliath and he was considered a hero.

From literary perspective Heaven and hell are indeed powerful words, but when we talk about karma is more justified to say good or bad, because as the rules of karma state:

Do good things, and good things happen. Do bad things, and bad things happen, and they will come back to haunt you.

You can of course say

Do heavenly things, and heavenly things happen. Do Hellish things, and Hellish things happen, and they will come back to haunt you.

But then the only thing you will be doing is making it harder to read for many people, for they have to translate heaven and hell back to good and bad. I understand your point, it is correct, but doesn't make any sense to use it with karma.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:25 am
@Dustin phil,
I think we could incorporate the allegories of heaven and hell into our conception of reincarnation - heaven represents life with "good" karma, hell life with "bad" karma.

The reason for quotations around good and bad is that to talk about karma in terms of good and bad is an oversimplification, however, often useful in cases such as our conversation thus far. The concept of karma is a complex one, one that I'm not sure I understand entirely.
Vasska

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I think we could incorporate the allegories of heaven and hell into our conception of reincarnation - heaven represents life with "good" karma, hell life with "bad" karma.

The reason for quotations around good and bad is that to talk about karma in terms of good and bad is an oversimplification, however, often useful in cases such as our conversation thus far. The concept of karma is a complex one, one that I'm not sure I understand entirely.

Good and bad can indeed be seen as oversimplification, however i have never read anything about heaven and hell in Buddhist literature. Mixing Heaven and Hell into the laws of Karma is like mixing two completely different religions in each other. As you stated:

John Lennon compared death to getting out of one car, and getting into another. According to Buddhism, there is no one to get out of the first car, much less anyone to get into the second.

Then my question is where do heaven and hell fit in if there is no one. In this case the simplification of the Karmic laws are in this case the most correct one's.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:06 am
@Dustin phil,
You might enjoy Thich Naht Hahn's "Living Buddha, Living Christ"

Heaven and Hell are certainly Christian notions, however, we do find similar imagery and allegorical significance in Buddhist literature. The Bhavacakra is the most familiar such example. Heaven and Hell could be looked at as a very primitive version of the Buddhist device.
0 Replies

Dustin phil

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:10 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You might very well be correct, which is why I am hoping you will explain your logic.

Yes, I am familiar with the Bible. There are a great many threads on this forum that demonstrate my knowledge and thoughts on Christian scripture. We are both in agreement that the text should not be approached as literal truth.

However, I must object to the idea that valid reasoning has no use here. With respect to "knowing" something, I would suggest knowledge is empirical. The use of valid reasoning is when we begin to discuss what we "know" so that we might understand one another.

Go further? We haven't gone anywhere. I'd like to "go further" because I am interested in your views on the matter.

I agree that knowledge is very important. However, I personally believe whatever knowledge gained, was in actuality, something already known within the One Mind. Therefore, knowledge would only be something to be made aware of, which is why reasoning, unless of course used to explain a viewpoint, is not needed to explain why or with what credentials this is already known.

While I do understand your logic, the term "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" is commonly used to describe "the law" of the OT.

For example, in Matt. 5:17-19, Christ says think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets, I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

From this point on, Christ begins a series of six 'you have heard it said by them of old time...' followed by, but I say unto you... In every case, the but I say unto you... is a dramatic change from "the law" which Christ quotes every time he says you have heard it said by them of old time...

In several instances, Christ's teachings flatly contradict the law of Moses. This is done immediately after warning us whosoever... shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

How can this be? The writings of the Apostle Paul contain these things...which are...hard to be understood, by they that are unlearned and unstable... (II Pet. 3:16).

Paul asks the question Do we then make void [Greek word - katargeo] the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law (Rom. 3:31). Yet later he says having abolished [same Greek word katargeo] in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances... (Eph. 2:15).

Neither Paul nor Christ contradicted themselves. The "oldness of letter" is completely different and separate from the "newness of spirit."

Rom 7:6 But now we have been discharged from the law, having died to that in which we were held; so that we serve in newness of the spirit, and not in oldness of the letter.

In many instances "the newness of spirit" flatly contradicts "the oldness of letter."

Would you care to share what it is you believe about reincarnation?
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
While I do understand your logic, the term "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" is commonly used to describe "the law" of the OT.

Yes, and my point is that this quip, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" is not equivalent to karma, and that this quip is unwise in light of karma as following such advice would produce negative karma.

Quote:
Would you care to share what it is you believe about reincarnation?

What is there to believe? Everything that has, does, and will comprise that which is called "me" has been and will one day be something else.
Dustin phil

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:57 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What is there to believe? Everything that has, does, and will comprise that which is called "me" has been and will one day be something else.

Well, thanks for joining in on the thread anyhow. Smile
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:09 pm
@Dustin phil,
You're welcome.

So, how is 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' for someone under the old law, and not for those who follow Christ?
Dustin phil

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
The law of Moses is in agreement with the function of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. By both we come to perceive what sin is (Rom. 7:7) and what good is and hence both become "ministrations of death" (2Co 3:7).

Whereas the "law of commandments contained in ordinances" is a "ministration of death." Christ's followers are justified by faith without the deeds of the law (Rom 3:28). In the new covenant, the circumcision is the circumcision of faith, and keepers of the law of Moses can't be heirs. "For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect" (Rom 4:14).

"The law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression" (Rom 4:15). Under grace and not law (Rom 6:14). "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (Rom. 10:4).

"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them" (Gal 3:10).

The law was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come until the promise was made. The law of Christ can be summed up as "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

It's almost literally impossible for someone to keep all of the ordinances of the law of Moses, and those who claimed to keep it were hypocrites. The rulers and priests were furious with Jesus because he healed on the sabbath day, but they themselves worked on the sabbath which was supposed to be dedicated to literally resting on a mat all day.

Jesus even called them at it.

"The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?" Luk 13:15

No one has ever been able to do all the things that were written in the law of Moses. "For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law..." Gal 6:13

I hope this answers your question.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:26 pm
@Dustin phil,
Yes, it does, absolutely, which leads me to my next question:

How does any of the above establish the following:

Quote:
The law of karma is for those still under law - "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth."

Unlike "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth", the "law" karma is not some moral mandate from God, or inspired guidance from God - karma turns the wheel of samsara. The philosophical explanations of karma do vary; however, karma would be closer to the law of gravity - if God "created" the world, He "created" karma, meanwhile, God instructed to man "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth".

Unlike "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" which required Christ for refinement, to alter karma would be to alter the very way in which the universe functions.
Dustin phil

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You're welcome.

So, how is 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' for someone under the old law, and not for those who follow Christ?

Well, I thought you had really wanted to know an answer to the above question you asked - not about "Karma." But it is what it is and no amount intellect can show you what I attempted to explain. However, if you spend your time sorting through threads looking for contradictory statements, you might never have anything but a knowledge of what everyone else believes.

I'll say it again, for I think a third time. Christ did not contradict the law, and He has not "altered" anything of karma or the law of Moses.

If you've ever heard of "Noah's Ark" . . . this is a type of Christ. Think.

Now, what else in the bible has not been fulfilled? What is the situation of the world today? These are questions you may want to consider before assuming things you do not know.

The things of God are not understood with worldly wisdom, and you do not understand this.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:58 pm
@Dustin phil,
Well, you made a claim, and then introduced a great deal of material as if it supported your initial claim. Sorry I asked you about something you posted on a discussion forum.
0 Replies

Play Dough

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:01 pm
@Dustin phil,
"There has never been a time when you were not alive".
.... from the Bhagavad Gita
0 Replies

Patty phil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:40 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
Late last year (i think is was around the 5th of December) I had to supervise the students that are a level below me. This was all part of an "exercise" and i was supervised by a teacher. This teacher happened to be my English teacher who had an extraordinary theory (which is followed by many others) it goes like this:

The entire universe has been filled with a mass that we know as atoms/particles. All these particles are interconnected with each other and also have a lot of energy. According to him studies had proven that one particle can fulfill the earths need for power for eternity. Whether this is true or not doesn't matter. The interconnection does, for each particle can connect to another trough an unlimited number of ways. Every particle contains information that can (re)create an event.

In this way if all particles are set the way they were 2000 years ago we would go back 2000 years. This also means we don't exist because we were not there 2000 years ago. Of course this will not happen, and in my opinion cannot happen. What is interesting is that you can use this theory to explain a lot of "mysterious" things like telekinetic.

Taken in the event of reincarnation it is possible that you are build from old building block that happened to be you thousands of years ago. I find this complex and almost impossible, but if there are higher forces like souls, it might be a group of "special" particles that recollect everything you have done from the moment you were born first, till this day (and beyond).

I'm a bit puzzled myself too now, maybe someone else sees some fatal flaw in this theory or likes to expand it to better match the question.

As far as i can see, this resembles the doctrines of quantum physicists' that tries to prove God's existence through science. But then again, I find it as an occasion for pantheism and radical materialism. From the standpoint of philosophers who held the existence of spirits as an entity distinct from matter, then this kind of doctrine is not acceptable. If everything were to be understood in terms of energy, and mass, then nothing would give a "real account for distinction" of entities of matter. What individuates a living being from another living beings is his psychical unity, which were and I still believe is what makes an individual and individual and one, though at the same time physiologically extended, meaning has parts. I still believe that the spirit is not quantifiable, for if it is to be accepted, then the spirit just becomes a special term for a particular mode of matter. Also the problem of life should be mentioned here, the theory of biogenesis theory which is very much stronger than abiogensis theory states that life cannot come a non-living being or crude matter. Can pure matter be the intrinsic and intelligent cause of its own actions?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:56 am
@Dustin phil,
Hi Dustin,

I posted my problems with reincarnation and karma o another thread, maybe you can look it up.

It is under religious philosophy titled "My problems with reincarnation and karma"

I will read through our thread
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:38 am
@Dustin phil,
I personally think that reincarnation is the only possible way that the higher intellect of man can possible reach the levels that it has.

There otherwise is no way for this higher wisdom to be transmitted through one lifetime.

However reincarnation is often referred to as the Hindu's aspect of it and we must remember that this is a religious viewpoint the same as every other religion, based upon faith.

The reincarnation that I speak of is merely an acknowledgment, knowing that life exists and must come from somewhere, and knowing that man can attain higher levels of intellect than can be reached in one generational lifetime, that such things must assume that an individual life can be repeated.
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:10 pm
@Pathfinder,
Dustin

Quote:

If you've ever heard of "Noah's Ark" . . . this is a type of Christ. Think.

Correct only Noah was considered by God to be righteous and due to his righteousness his family who were not righteous could come with him on the arck under a sort of pre Christ grace