Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:44 pm
What do you believe about reincarnation? Never actually looking into the concept of reincarnation, I am interested in the beliefs from the people on this forum about this subject.

Wikipedia notes:

Reincarnation, literally "to be made flesh again", is a doctrine or metaphysical belief that some essential part of a living being (in some variations only human beings) survives death to be reborn in a new body. This essential part is often referred to as the Spirit or Soul, the 'Higher or True Self', 'Divine Spark', 'I' or the 'Ego' (not to be confused with the ego as defined by psychology). According to such beliefs, a new personality is developed during each life in the physical world, but some part of the being remains constantly present throughout these successive lives as well.

Belief in reincarnation is an ancient phenomenon. This doctrine is a central tenet within the majority of Indian religious traditions, such as Hinduism (including Yoga, Vaishnavism, and Shaivism), Jainism, and Sikhism. The idea was also entertained by some Ancient Greek philosophers. Many modern Pagans also believe in reincarnation as do some New Age movements, along with followers of Spiritism, practitioners of certain African traditions, and students of esoteric philosophies such as Kabbalah, Sufism and Gnostic and Esoteric Christianity. The Buddhist concept of Rebirth although often referred to as reincarnation differs significantly from the Hindu-based traditions and New Age movements in that there is no "self" (or eternal soul) to reincarnate.

During recent decades, a significant minority of people in the West have developed a belief in reincarnation. Feature films, such as Kundun and Birth, contemporary books by authors such as Carol Bowman and Vicki Mackenzie, as well as popular songs, regularly mention reincarnation.

Some researchers, such as Professor Ian Stevenson, have explored the issue of reincarnation and published suggestive evidence. Some skeptics are critical of this work and others say that more reincarnation research is needed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,153 • Replies: 85
No top replies

Vasska

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:27 am
@Dustin phil,
I've been exposed to topics of reincarnation, karma and other "spiritual" stuff for a long time now (several people in the household keep busy with it). I used to believe it for a long time, but i decided to turn away from all spiritual stuff because nothing was certain, and everything was "just the way it was, and don't think about it!" which really bothered me. I guess the "it cannot be proven, just believe it" part drove me away from it. Nevertheless i still learned some (for me) valuable lessons from it.

I think karma and reincarnation are tightly bound together (if they indeed exist) for it is simple logic that if you've done bad things to people you will return in your next live as someone who befalls such evil as you casted upon other people. (As is has been explained by me by so many different people)

My philosophical mind thinks of this as a never ending circle since even if the feud between two "souls" has been solved, there are still others hurt by it. which makes it a never ending circle.

So it's either that this systems explanation has been wrong (or partly incorrect) or the whole system has a flaw (which i doubt, because if you look (and think about it) at a human body you will see so much complex mind dazzling work. (Taken in the event God exists and indeed created everything, which I doubt).

I think reincarnation can never be explained using our logic. I've been thinking about it a few weeks back and i think that if reincarnation can be proven we can also be a step closer to discovering God cannot exist, or even multiple energies like Karma and reincarnation are the driving power between existence, and because of our "simple" minds back in time we gave a name (and personification) to this bundle of powers, and we've been stuck with it for generations and generations.

If anyone wants my answer to be expanded with more facts, depth and (safe) assumption just say so, I'll be happy to write a (short) story of my point of view.
Dustin phil

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
@Vasska,
I read a post from another thread that goes as:

Quote:
how can reincationation not be real?
E=MC2
mass has energy equivalence
matter is made of mass
you are made of matter
what am i missing?
mass has energy equivalence.. mass is energy
you exist wave form and particle form
when your partical form "dies" only to get its particals redistributed through the earth to give energy to other things
the other part of you, the infinite eternal wave part, continues to exist in energy form
it doesnt have eyes or ears or anything like that.. those are particles and exist on a finite level
but it returns to the infinite mix of energy and from that point on we cannot describe what happens physically

but just because there are more people now than before doesnt mean reincarnation doesnt exist, because we are dealing with an infinite continuum of energythe absolute can split itself up as many times as it wishes
you cannot prove these things reasonably though
the act of believing if something is true or not has nothing to do with anything but intuition,
there is no 1 single realm of truth.. well there is.. but no human brain can be capable of understanding because being human means being seporated.. and the truth is basically everyones reality and we are all split up so thats impossable to concieve with a human brain
no matter how much pragmatical logic you think you need to find proof in your reality.. your still comparing evidence towards your intuition in order to change it.. and intuition is not reasonable at all..
we are all left brained and right brained
its wise to gain finite knowledge
but dont forget infinite knowledge either
The emboldened part above seems to be a very different variation from what I had in mind and seems to make some sense through a particle or matter standpoint. However, is there anyone who believes that a soul can come back in a new body? If so, why would someone come back like this? Would someone come back more than once? What purpose does it ultimately serve?
Quatl

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:07 am
@Dustin phil,
Generally reincarnation beliefs site some form of learning as the purpose of lives. What these lessons are depend on who you ask. Often the end result of learning these lessons is transference/transcendence to/into a different place, or state of being.

In Christian-reincarnation hybrids (some "new age" stuff is in this category) this place may be heaven, while in Buddhism inspired systems it is generally a joining of one's soul with a godlike unity (there are variations here too))

These beliefs only work at all if you abandon any importance in the universe we see before us. Seeking to reconcile any of this with physics is to miss the point I think.
--------
I would like to believe in reincarnation, but I don't. I think it's a much more interesting and appealing option than the other choices (heaven/hell, true death etc); however I don't think that just because I wish it, that things become so.

Over the course of my life I've come to the conclusion, gradually and grudgingly, that there is no external force, being or spiritual essence. The search through many different religions has for me in the end been unfruitful, though at times emotionally enjoyable in a masturbatory sense for a time.

Many folks seem to eventually get to something they like though, and I've heard claims of enlightenment from many over the years. On the rare occasions when I've had access to deeply question these folks, I have been unable to extract from them a similar sensation for myself. At least, not for very long.

Of course they inevitably frown "wisely" and say something condescending at that point, and I know that it's once again time for me to move on. Maybe I'm too picky, or perhaps as Buddha said, my mistake is one of believing in my own identity.

I don't feel peace in the silence of meditation though, nor happiness in the disassociation of my will, perhaps we each must ultimately find our own way and mine is in ever-questioning. I've always the enjoyed seeking far more than the finding in other areas of my life.

I'm not sure that asking about purpose is relevant to questions of reality, beyond those of human desires. Part of me hopes that I'm wrong; however I am certain that no one else I've yet heard from is right! Smile
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:50 am
@Dustin phil,
Dustin wrote:
I read a post from another thread that goes as:

The emboldened part above seems to be a very different variation from what I had in mind and seems to make some sense through a particle or matter standpoint. However, is there anyone who believes that a soul can come back in a new body? If so, why would someone come back like this? Would someone come back more than once? What purpose does it ultimately serve?

Late last year (i think is was around the 5th of December) I had to supervise the students that are a level below me. This was all part of an "exercise" and i was supervised by a teacher. This teacher happened to be my English teacher who had an extraordinary theory (which is followed by many others) it goes like this:

The entire universe has been filled with a mass that we know as atoms/particles. All these particles are interconnected with each other and also have a lot of energy. According to him studies had proven that one particle can fulfill the earths need for power for eternity. Whether this is true or not doesn't matter. The interconnection does, for each particle can connect to another trough an unlimited number of ways. Every particle contains information that can (re)create an event.

In this way if all particles are set the way they were 2000 years ago we would go back 2000 years. This also means we don't exist because we were not there 2000 years ago. Of course this will not happen, and in my opinion cannot happen. What is interesting is that you can use this theory to explain a lot of "mysterious" things like telekinetic.

Taken in the event of reincarnation it is possible that you are build from old building block that happened to be you thousands of years ago. I find this complex and almost impossible, but if there are higher forces like souls, it might be a group of "special" particles that recollect everything you have done from the moment you were born first, till this day (and beyond).

I'm a bit puzzled myself too now, maybe someone else sees some fatal flaw in this theory or likes to expand it to better match the question.
Dustin phil

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
@Vasska,
I appreciate everyone's input, thank you very much. I started this thread in the Philosophy of Mind forum because "mind" seems to be a critical link in explaining many things. Below is an article that I thought was interesting and relates to this subject - just would like to get everyone's insight into it.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking it's just another person's religious opinion. I personally believe in God but I do not believe God is religion. Mankind has tainted things with religion and division. However, I'm not saying that I agree with everything in this article. We use different words based on our experience. After all, they are just words...

---

Reincarnation Is Return Of Soul Information

There are people who believe that reincarnation is the process by which a human being is reborn into the physical world after having died. They believe that the soul of the person leaves behind memories of the past life in the unconscious mind, but takes with them characteristics and personality traits into the new life. So a person doesn't only live once, but lives several lifetimes through cycles of birth and rebirth. But the truth about reincarnation can be realized by understanding the two aspects of the soul.

The soul of a human being has two aspects which are the active and the passive aspect. The active aspect of the soul is the intelligence or self awareness of the person. The passive aspect of the soul is the memories, data and information of the person. After death, the active aspect of the soul transitions to the nonphysical realm. It will eventually come before the judgment seat and so on. It does not get reincarnated into the physical world. It is the passive aspect of the soul that returns.

It is claimed that several persons that span across different lifetimes are the same person with an oversoul that integrates all these personalities. But the truth is all souls of humankind are one oversoul. All man is Adamaic by nature. Humans are a collective race. The whole planet is one being. We are all really different persons that are all part of the same consciousness called humanity. Unlike angels who fall individually, when Adam fell, all humanity fell. Because all of us humans came from Adam and we are all one.

When a person dies, the intelligence of their soul will pass on to the higher realms. But their life information and characteristic will be reintegrated into the collective unconscious mind of humanity and those information and characteristics will be imputed to a new soul that is born into the physical world. The reason is because, the unconscious of the previous soul is still seeking expression in certain ways and it is given new chances to do so through a new person in new a combination of conditions.

God or Original Consciousness seeks to express its possibilities sequentially and that is why it created the physical world. It is for the purpose of consciousness to know infinite power in a place of limitation. Original Consciousness projected an aspect of itself as Man to know itself as totality. The tree of life is a metaphysical system of enlightenment that was meant for Man to realize God fully. But Man forfeited the tree of life when he partook the tree of knowledge of good and evil which is the law of God.

This law of God is not universal law but it is moral law. As a result, man perceived reality based on what should be and what shouldn't be. You can never know God fully based on what should be and what shouldn't be. You can only know God based on what is. Enlightenment is coming to the knowledge of what is, while ignorance is being blind to what is. Down through history, humanity is evolving in consciousness through reintegration of past consciousness and being given the chance to realize God fully.

It is said that when a person becomes enlightened, his consciousness escapes the cycle of birth and rebirth and doesn't need to be reincarnated. It is true in a sense that his soul's data does not need to be reintegrated into humanity and imputed into new human beings that are born. Otherwise every new person will be born enlightened and that would defeat the whole purpose of consciousness reintegration. But whether a person becomes enlightened or not, his intelligence would not return to physical living.

There is only one way to know God fully, and that is through Jesus Christ. He alone contains the sum of the universal and personal aspect of God. Man will never know God fully without knowing the personal aspect of God. Believing in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ on the cross brings complete reconciliation between the individual soul of a human being with the Spirit of God. When a person is saved, he has capability to know both universal and personal aspect of God fully in all levels of the universe.

The reason why a person has soul connections with specific individuals in the past and is even able to remember their past through hypnosis is because they have an ancestral link with those individuals. The memories are not actually from their past lives, but they are obtained by tapping into the collective unconscious of humanity's past memories. The ancestral link is the result of characteristic and personality traits of related souls being passed on to us as part of our life's purpose in the present life.

All sin is the result of Ego thinking. Fear, jealousy, hatred, greed and dishonesty is all based on serving his individuated consciousness alone and not realizing his total reality of holistic and universal existence. Ego thinking is separation from God consciousness. Ego thinking is perpetuated by the sin nature of Adam and it takes the full power of God to totally override it. Jesus Christ was born in the likeness of sinful flesh without the sin nature to reconcile the world to the full power of God with his death.

But Lucifer wants Mankind to achieve enlightenment without Jesus Christ. He seeks to bring people to realize harmony with universal consciousness through knowing the universal aspect of God. But the truth is, no being can ever be in total harmony with God without realizing His personal aspect. Lucifer is out of alignment with the personal aspect of God and so are all those beings who deny God's plan of salvation through Jesus Christ alone. Such beings are only partially enlightened and believing otherwise.

The unfolding drama of conscious evolution is a battle between Christ and Lucifer's plan for the world. Both seek the enlightenment of Man as a whole. As consciousness keeps reintegrating itself and evolving over time, humanity will reach a point of mass enlightenment. That is the time when third dimension will start shifting into fourth dimension because the planet is awakening to the true nature of reality. It would also signify the end of the world as physicality would no longer need to exist the way it is.
In order for man to be enlightened, all Man must be enlightened.

That is why humanity is given time to attain enlightenment though many generations. But in order for man to be saved, every individual person has to make his choice personally. It is those who believe in Jesus Christ who are given the keys to the whole kingdom of God. There is only one chance to receive salvation in one lifetime, and that alone is more than enough time for each freewill being that is born as a human to make a choice of eternity.

Article Source
Dustin phil

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 09:59 pm
@Dustin phil,
Well, I have to say... been doing some intensive research on this subject, not that I've taken a particular stance on the matter; however, I would like to add value to this thread with a great link offering answers to many questions about reincarnation, along with links (few broken but not bad) to articles and the experiences of others.

The Reincarnation FAQ

P.S. Whatever may be the case with reincarnation... sure think I'd rather get it right the first time! Smile

P.S.S Overall I'm lead to believe that many of us have different callings, all for the one same purpose and ultimate plan.
Vasska

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:11 pm
@Dustin phil,
To return to the topic, and maybe even a bit off topic:

Why should we even want to be reincarnated?
0 Replies

Dustin phil

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:09 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
I've been exposed to topics of reincarnation, karma and other "spiritual" stuff for a long time now (several people in the household keep busy with it). I used to believe it for a long time, but i decided to turn away from all spiritual stuff because nothing was certain, and everything was "just the way it was, and don't think about it!" which really bothered me. I guess the "it cannot be proven, just believe it" part drove me away from it. Nevertheless i still learned some (for me) valuable lessons from it.

When someone says to just believe something, that sounds like tradition or rather putting too much trust in religion. I can agree, as that would turn me away, too. It seems people who possess real truth, have not the need to push it on anyone. I believe when we can learn to detect "self" or the "ego" in conversation, we can then begin to learn truth from a person's aware self rather than unaware self. This is not to say that someone possessing a strong ego has no truth (vice versa - someone with no ego has truth) because there are those times when it tends to slip in on people, or in the other case one may just not be aware of what is. Whatever the case may be, forgiveness and understanding of these things seem to help everything along. If we were more aware of universal principles, I believe we would all begin to understand each other, while at the same time providing for each what the other needs to further grow.

Vasska wrote:
I think karma and reincarnation are tightly bound together (if they indeed exist) for it is simple logic that if you've done bad things to people you will return in your next live as someone who befalls such evil as you casted upon other people. (As is has been explained by me by so many different people)

That seems what I get out of it, but again, I haven't looked too much into all of the beliefs on reincarnation. It doesn't however seem like the best way of doing things.

Vasska wrote:
My philosophical mind thinks of this as a never ending circle since even if the feud between two "souls" has been solved, there are still others hurt by it. which makes it a never ending circle.

That aspect or belief does not make sense to me either.

Vasska wrote:
So it's either that this systems explanation has been wrong (or partly incorrect) or the whole system has a flaw (which i doubt, because if you look (and think about it) at a human body you will see so much complex mind dazzling work. (Taken in the event God exists and indeed created everything, which I doubt).

The effects of things do seem rather complex. From what I'm beginning to understand, cause is much easier understood and maybe the only thing needed.

Vasska wrote:
I think reincarnation can never be explained using our logic. I've been thinking about it a few weeks back and i think that if reincarnation can be proven we can also be a step closer to discovering God cannot exist, or even multiple energies like Karma and reincarnation are the driving power between existence, and because of our "simple" minds back in time we gave a name (and personification) to this bundle of powers, and we've been stuck with it for generations and generations.

I agree and tend to think that many things can't be explained using only logic. I say this because the world we live in isn't logical, or perhaps even real as we may think.

Why would you say proof of reincarnation may be evidence that God does not exist? Furthermore, if that is what you believe, where do these energies originate?

Vasska wrote:
If anyone wants my answer to be expanded with more facts, depth and (safe) assumption just say so, I'll be happy to write a (short) story of my point of view.

Sure, that would be great! I'd be happy to hear more of what you have to say on this subject. Smile

Quatl wrote:
In Christian-reincarnation hybrids (some "new age" stuff is in this category) this place may be heaven, while in Buddhism inspired systems it is generally a joining of one's soul with a godlike unity (there are variations here too))

It does seem to have an effect in a more broad area, depending on which words we use and so forth. I think most misunderstandings happen with the use of words. People have biases for different words, probably based on experiences throughout life, associated with pain and memories of such. Emotions are very powerful and useful but they can surely be more used to one's benefit rather than against. Surely heaven can't be a physical place!

Quatl wrote:
These beliefs only work at all if you abandon any importance in the universe we see before us. Seeking to reconcile any of this with physics is to miss the point I think.

The same problems that exist in the case of existence, seem to also exist with science. Many have problems with changes and perhaps get too attached to an idea or belief while slowing growth / evolution. The truth is, we are ever compelled to move and make progress, to evolve. A refusal usually leads to adverse effects. Of course this isn't the case with everyone, or at least not they are aware of.

Quatl wrote:
I would like to believe in reincarnation, but I don't. I think it's a much more interesting and appealing option than the other choices (heaven/hell, true death etc); however I don't think that just because I wish it, that things become so.

It does seem that way, and in that I could agree. But I'm not too sure if it would be the best way to come to a conclusion. I agree just because we wish a certain thing to be true, doesn't mean it is truth. But if we were true to ourself, perhaps we would know what truth is.

Quatl wrote:
Over the course of my life I've come to the conclusion, gradually and grudgingly, that there is no external force, being or spiritual essence. The search through many different religions has for me in the end been unfruitful, though at times emotionally enjoyable in a masturbatory sense for a time.

Religion or organized and domineering places in many instances turn out this way. It could be because they have came to their conclusions and therefore refusing to grow or let anyone else to grow, while ultimately it leads to separation and a seemingly bad experience.

Quatl wrote:
Many folks seem to eventually get to something they like though, and I've heard claims of enlightenment from many over the years. On the rare occasions when I've had access to deeply question these folks, I have been unable to extract from them a similar sensation for myself. At least, not for very long.

Of course they inevitably frown "wisely" and say something condescending at that point, and I know that it's once again time for me to move on. Maybe I'm too picky, or perhaps as Buddha said, my mistake is one of believing in my own identity.

You've probably been unable to extract, in essence, what you need because you sensed "ego." Rarely will anyone receive something from another who appears to be exalted, or speaking rather from themselves in knowledge they received by the senses. Or maybe the thing you were trying to extract was not nearly as good as the thing you desire, want and deserve.

Quatl wrote:
I don't feel peace in the silence of meditation though, nor happiness in the disassociation of my will, perhaps we each must ultimately find our own way and mine is in ever-questioning. I've always the enjoyed seeking far more than the finding in other areas of my life.

Have you ever tried to stop thinking? Many people are suffering from not being able to stop thinking; we all tend think about things non-stop, not even realizing what we are thinking about and the damage we may be doing. If you follow your conscience and ask yourself what you're doing wrong, you'll know exactly what to do. But you have to earnestly analyze your thoughts and condition, as it may be buried deep and difficult to notice because your not aware of it. Try to trace a feeling to a thought, then change the thought and see if you don't feel different.

Quatl wrote:
I'm not sure that asking about purpose is relevant to questions of reality, beyond those of human desires. Part of me hopes that I'm wrong; however I am certain that no one else I've yet heard from is right! Smile

If you are open to it, and in a correct state, you will inevitably and instantaneously know when someone has spoken truth.

Thank you for your comments, as it also helps me to grow. Smile

P.S. You mention your human desire of wanting a purpose is overridden by a need for truth in reality. If you want to understand something so complex, would you think the conscious brain is capable of understanding these details of effects? If so, wouldn't you have already figured it out? And wouldn't you also be able to consciously direct your body's every function if you had this ability?

Vasska wrote:
Late last year (i think is was around the 5th of December) I had to supervise the students that are a level below me. This was all part of an "exercise" and i was supervised by a teacher. This teacher happened to be my English teacher who had an extraordinary theory (which is followed by many others) it goes like this:

The entire universe has been filled with a mass that we know as atoms/particles. All these particles are interconnected with each other and also have a lot of energy. According to him studies had proven that one particle can fulfill the earths need for power for eternity. Whether this is true or not doesn't matter. The interconnection does, for each particle can connect to another trough an unlimited number of ways. Every particle contains information that can (re)create an event.

I think the idea of everything being connected is correct, but I'm not sure about the explanation of atoms / particles and the idea of re-creating an event, unless of course we didn't learn something from it the first time. There is still much to study in this area for me, but I'm starting to believe what ultimately fills and connects the universe is only magnetized electricity, or light. I guess this would be a whole another subject. Smile I do believe any power we need on earth could be obtained from the sun.

Vasska wrote:
In this way if all particles are set the way they were 2000 years ago we would go back 2000 years. This also means we don't exist because we were not there 2000 years ago. Of course this will not happen, and in my opinion cannot happen. What is interesting is that you can use this theory to explain a lot of "mysterious" things like telekinetic.

Taken in the event of reincarnation it is possible that you are build from old building block that happened to be you thousands of years ago. I find this complex and almost impossible, but if there are higher forces like souls, it might be a group of "special" particles that recollect everything you have done from the moment you were born first, till this day (and beyond).

I'm a bit puzzled myself too now, maybe someone else sees some fatal flaw in this theory or likes to expand it to better match the question.

For me, there is still much to learn about what is perhaps built into humanity. But maybe we would want to get our particles from a later date, that is, if we want to start at the point to where humankind so far advanced. I only think it would be horrible not to remember all of the details from a previous life. That's where it takes a different turn from me . . . how does it come together to function with an ultimate!?! goal? To keep going on forever almost seems pointless, unless of course I'm missing something.

Vasska wrote:
To return to the topic, and maybe even a bit off topic:

Why should we even want to be reincarnated?

I'm not sure that I would. Who wants to keep on dying? And why the need for a physical body that doesn't seem to be functioning correctly by the aging process...

In any case, I hope not to be held to a particular belief, as I always try to keep myself open to maybe what I haven't yet come to see, and to what others can possibly help me to see.
Vasska

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 04:10 am
@Dustin phil,
Before I start I want to make clear that I might be making some very insulting remarks about certain religions, but by any means do not want to insult the people, but give them my point of view.

Reincarnation as we know it
Reincarnation as we have know it basically means "to be made flesh again". Although the exact rules for this to happen differ from religion to religion. However the core stays the same: After you die you will return to earth again, and live another life. And after that again and again till finally you met the requirements put out by your religion.

The rules or reincarnation

The rules of reincarnation as stated above differ from religion and religion. Before i state the best form in reincarnation we need to clear out some misunderstandings from how I see the following concept:

Karma: A divine power that keeps score from everything you've done bad and good. This is the power that decides your reincarnation.
Of course there are some other theories that say you (= your soul) can outline your entire life based upon your karma and the things you want to learn. This theory can be true, but however difficult to graps since we can't imagine why people want to get raped, murdered, abused etc.

Let's take the fact that reincarnation is real

Then the Christians and other religions were wrong all along. Because we reincarnate there is no place in heaven or hell for us for a long long long time, and maybe these places don't even exist or are just a temporary state to see the errors in our way and go on to live our next lives. Also if reincarnation and karma have such define powers why should God exist as an cruel lord that we must pray to every day, and worship? Why should God have made the universe, and why above all should he possess all our human quality's and even bother with us? Maybe god is nothing more than the collection of energy's that are Karma, Reincarnation and other (not yet known) powers that keep the universe together, and only exist as long as our universe exists.

Let's take it to a higher level

Science rocks! Science is often wrong, but sometimes right, that is the fun thing about science. Educated people like Einstein and have opened our eyes to look at our origins from a different view; the scientific view, where everything has to be proven. Scientist have made (safe) assumptions that the universe has been created from the big bang, and is slowly expanding into nothing. The laws that we are subject to on earth have taught us that everything that expands has to follow the same way back (think of a rubber band). Taken in this event the universe will implode and give nothing back to nothing, since it took nothing from nothing. Which means that God would cease to exist the moment the universe implodes. However if God is the energy that we discussed a moment ago, this energy might also make the universe explode again (remember the big bang!) and create a new world, with maybe different powers, different interconnections and different lifeforms.

Thats all i have to say right now, i might have contradicted myself, but i once i started writing it could not stop. Maybe this at least gives us a different point of view and we should further investigate this thing called Reincarnation and everything that is connected with it.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:38 am
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
Reincarnation as we know it
Reincarnation as we have know it basically means "to be made flesh again". Although the exact rules for this to happen differ from religion to religion. However the core stays the same: After you die you will return to earth again, and live another life. And after that again and again till finally you met the requirements put out by your religion.

It seems our understanding of reincarnation needs to be complicated to a degree.

If we accept the notion that some immortal soul is being reincarnated, what you provide above seems accurate. However, let us consider reincarnation in light of a Buddhist precept - that self is an illusion. Buddhism is perhaps the most notable faith tradition to teach reincarnation, so their take seems valid. Basically, as they believe there is nothing essentially "me", "I" will not be reincarnated - instead, all that I like to call "me" will be reincarnated.

Quote:
Let's take the fact that reincarnation is real
Then the Christians and other religions were wrong all along.

Reincarnation was not an uncommon belief among early Christians. Even today, many Christians believe in some sort of reincarnation.

Quote:
Because we reincarnate there is no place in heaven or hell for us for a long long long time, and maybe these places don't even exist or are just a temporary state to see the errors in our way and go on to live our next lives.

I think this depends on how we approach heaven and hell. If we take these terms to be allegory, reincarnation does not seem to threaten the notions.

Quote:
Also if reincarnation and karma have such define powers why should God exist as an cruel lord that we must pray to every day, and worship? Why should God have made the universe, and why above all should he possess all our human quality's and even bother with us? Maybe god is nothing more than the collection of energy's that are Karma, Reincarnation and other (not yet known) powers that keep the universe together, and only exist as long as our universe exists.

Much of this depends upon what we call "God", and how we approach prayer and worship. As for God having human qualities, that man often attributes to God human qualities has often been objected to - a worthy objection, I think, even if we do not consider reincarnation, karma, ect.

================================

When we talk about reincarnation, we must first identify what is being reincarnated.

From a purely natural standpoint, reincarnation seems so obvious. We are organic machines, we take in materials, and expel materials. Everything physical that makes up what we call ourselves was once something else, and will one day be something other than us. These are facts. Dust to dust.

The difficulties begin to occur when we introduce the notion of something essential to ourselves, be it a soul, a mind, whatever. Physically, there is nothing essentially "me", only things which at the moment make up what is called "me". Faced with nothing that is physically essential to us, we have a tendency to postulate about something essential to us that is nonphysical. Such a notion of a soul is possible, I suppose, though I've yet to hear a coherent explaination of such phenomenon.
Dustin phil

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Vasska, you seem to be struggling with the same problem I was having when it comes to beliefs about God. I started out in mainstream Christianity, where they constantly preached eternal torment for sins. I couldn't bring myself to believe that a loving God would create humans capable of sinning and then torture them for an eternity for it. It brought to mind: why also would a loving God ask us to love our enemies and then torment them for eternity . . . is this not hypocritical!?!

It sounds as if you may have been hurt by what has been forced into your understanding - perhaps you believed them or are still struggling with the possibility of what might be true. Don't let what they say scare you; "fear" is just a tool (a good one) to keep people from sinning. The law of karma is for those still under law - "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth." We are no longer under that law and have forgiveness of sins

If you seek diligently with all your heart, you will find truth. Trust from within, not what others say to plant fear.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:27 pm
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
The law of karma is for those still under law - "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth."

Care to explain this?
Vasska

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
It seems our understanding of reincarnation needs to be complicated to a degree.

If we accept the notion that some immortal soul is being reincarnated, what you provide above seems accurate. However, let us consider reincarnation in light of a Buddhist precept - that self is an illusion. Buddhism is perhaps the most notable faith tradition to teach reincarnation, so their take seems valid. Basically, as they believe there is nothing essentially "me", "I" will not be reincarnated - instead, all that I like to call "me" will be reincarnated.

Buddhism is indeed the most notable to teach reincarnation. The "I" as in me as human being can indeed be removed if we accept that our soul is something different than "we", and "we" are only and extension and temporary state of the soul. This means we humans only exist on earth because the soul that has to learn the lessons and "pay" it's karmic debts, in this way we can human can be considered a "brain in a vat" where we are free within a world, but still under the command of the supercomputer, in this cause the soul.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Reincarnation was not an uncommon belief among early Christians. Even today, many Christians believe in some sort of reincarnation.

The problem with religions that are this big is that the differ a lot. Many Christians free themselves and dare to think for themselves where other don't even know the concept of breaking free of their religion. It is so hard to pinpoint where reincarnation fits in with Christianity. Religions like Buddhism teach reincarnation and therefore the role of reincarnation is much easier to pinpoint. The basic concept told to me by many Christians it that we either go to heaven and live happily ever after with God, or burn forever in the eternal flames of hell and get abused by Satan and his demons. Don't get me wrong, you've got a point, but it's so hard to pinpoint the role of reincarnation in Christianity.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

I think this depends on how we approach heaven and hell. If we take these terms to be allegory, reincarnation does not seem to threaten the notions.

I had to look up allegory on dictionary.com because English still is my second language and according to them it means:

a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.

If we indeed approach heaven and hell allegory then they are not affected by the idea of reincarnation, but i don't think they are of any use if we have reincarnation for we don't stop living.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Much of this depends upon what we call "God", and how we approach prayer and worship. As for God having human qualities, that man often attributes to God human qualities has often been objected to - a worthy objection, I think, even if we do not consider reincarnation, karma, ect.

I think if we ask a million people what God is we get a million different answers. Worship for Christians is going to church on Sunday and pray before dinner and before going to sleep. For Muslims it's praying 3 times a day in east direction. So approaching prayer and worship is a bit more difficult than i stated in my previous reply.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

When we talk about reincarnation, we must first identify what is being reincarnated.

From a purely natural standpoint, reincarnation seems so obvious. We are organic machines, we take in materials, and expel materials. Everything physical that makes up what we call ourselves was once something else, and will one day be something other than us. These are facts. Dust to dust.

The difficulties begin to occur when we introduce the notion of something essential to ourselves, be it a soul, a mind, whatever. Physically, there is nothing essentially "me", only things which at the moment make up what is called "me". Faced with nothing that is physically essential to us, we have a tendency to postulate about something essential to us that is nonphysical. Such a notion of a soul is possible, I suppose, though I've yet to hear a coherent explaination of such phenomenon.

I think my story above covered my answer to this enough. Would be a wast of time to repeat that. Other than that Thank you for giving me something to think about ^^

Dustin wrote:
Vasska, you seem to be struggling with the same problem I was having when it comes to beliefs about God. I started out in mainstream Christianity, where they constantly preached eternal torment for sins. I couldn't bring myself to believe that a loving God would create humans capable of sinning and then torture them for an eternity for it. It brought to mind: why also would a loving God ask us to love our enemies and then torment them for eternity . . . is this not hypocritical!?!

It sounds as if you may have been hurt by what has been forced into your understanding - perhaps you believed them or are still struggling with the possibility of what might be true. Don't let what they say scare you; "fear" is just a tool (a good one) to keep people from sinning. The law of karma is for those still under law - "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth." We are no longer under that law and have forgiveness of sins

If you seek diligently with all your heart, you will find truth. Trust from within, not what others say to plant fear.

I had the exact same idea about God! Why would he be the kid with the sunglasses burning ants while he had the power to make such complex creatures like us, animals insects, weather patterns, EVERYTHING!

I got hurt by religion because it keeps bothering me and knocking on my door while i don't give a damn about it anymore. I dislike religious people who try to ban books like Harry Potter because they don't fit in with their beliefs. I read all 7 books last year and really loved them, they did not even contain a slightest notion of God or anything to put "our holy father" in bad light. I will never ever ban a book just because i don't like it. I accept that people like those books and i just don't. But i can't accept the fact why people always have to have their ways. I found my answer to live in philosophy and science but i don't bother people with it who don't want to hear about it, i don't feel the need to ban the bible because it is nothing in contrast with the teachings from Plato, Socrates or other.

I find it saddening that religion captures people and influence governments and make sure their beliefs laws. I'm just tired of religions.
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Care to explain this?

I think he means that if i hurt you in this life. You can hurt me in the next life so we are even. However i find this to be something that can go on and on since it can inflict on other and cause a chain reaction.
0 Replies

Dustin phil

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:17 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Dustin wrote:

The law of karma is for those still under law - "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth."

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Care to explain this?

About the best I can do for now is a quote from Florence Scovel Shinn:

Jesus Christ brought the good news (the gospel) that there was a higher law than the law of Karma-and that that law transcends the law of Karma. It is the law of grace, or forgiveness. It is the law which
frees man from the law of cause and effect-the law of consequence. "Under grace, and not under law."

We are told that on this plane, man reaps where he has not sown; the gifts of God are simply poured out upon him. "All that the Kingdom affords is his." This continued state of bliss awaits the man who has overcome the race (or world) thought.

In the world thought there is tribulation, but Jesus Christ said: "Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

The world thought is that of sin, sickness and death. He saw their absolute unreality and said sickness and sorrow shall pass away and death itself, the last enemy, be overcome.

Vasska wrote:
I had the exact same idea about God! Why would he be the kid with the sunglasses burning ants while he had the power to make such complex creatures like us, animals insects, weather patterns, EVERYTHING!

I got hurt by religion because it keeps bothering me and knocking on my door while i don't give a damn about it anymore. I dislike religious people who try to ban books like Harry Potter because they don't fit in with their beliefs. I read all 7 books last year and really loved them, they did not even contain a slightest notion of God or anything to put "our holy father" in bad light. I will never ever ban a book just because i don't like it. I accept that people like those books and i just don't. But i can't accept the fact why people always have to have their ways. I found my answer to live in philosophy and science but i don't bother people with it who don't want to hear about it, i don't feel the need to ban the bible because it is nothing in contrast with the teachings from Plato, Socrates or other.

I find it saddening that religion captures people and influence governments and make sure their beliefs laws. I'm just tired of religions.

Follow your heart's desire, as there is something to be learned from every experience. You are more aware than most kids your age - keep running!
Vasska

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:30 pm
@Dustin phil,
Dustin wrote:

Jesus Christ brought the good news (the gospel) that there was a higher law than the law of Karma-and that that law transcends the law of Karma. It is the law of grace, or forgiveness. It is the law which
frees man from the law of cause and effect-the law of consequence. "Under grace, and not under law."

We are told that on this plane, man reaps where he has not sown; the gifts of God are simply poured out upon him. "All that the Kingdom affords is his." This continued state of bliss awaits the man who has overcome the race (or world) thought.

In the world thought there is tribulation, but Jesus Christ said: "Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

The world thought is that of sin, sickness and death. He saw their absolute unreality and said sickness and sorrow shall pass away and death itself, the last enemy, be overcome.

Follow your heart's desire, as there is something to be learned from every experience. You are more aware than most kids your age - keep running!

There is something to be learned from every experience is indeed true, but it is also true that a fool learns from his own mistakes and a wise men learns from the mistakes by others. I just hope my heart leads me the way to be a wise men.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:57 pm
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
Buddhism is indeed the most notable to teach reincarnation. The "I" as in me as human being can indeed be removed if we accept that our soul is something different than "we", and "we" are only and extension and temporary state of the soul. This means we humans only exist on earth because the soul that has to learn the lessons and "pay" it's karmic debts, in this way we can human can be considered a "brain in a vat" where we are free within a world, but still under the command of the supercomputer, in this cause the soul.

That's the thing - Buddhism considers self illusory. Even the notion that there is a "soul" in of itself that does anything is considered to be illusory by Buddhists.

John Lennon compared death to getting out of one car, and getting into another. According to Buddhism, there is no one to get out of the first car, much less anyone to get into the second.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, you've got a point, but it's so hard to pinpoint the role of reincarnation in Christianity.

Because reincarnation does not have a "role" in Christianity, rather, it has a role in the lives of some Christians. Christians are a diverse group, with many different and conflicting beliefs.

Quote:
If we indeed approach heaven and hell allegory then they are not affected by the idea of reincarnation, but i don't think they are of any use if we have reincarnation for we don't stop living.

Heaven and hell have a role if they are allegorical, and if we accept reincarnation. Buddhism uses similar allegories - the various realms of existence, hungry ghosts, this sort of thing.

Heaven and hell would represent the "heaven" of compassion, love for others, kindness,ect , or the "hell" of chasing desire, selfishness, violence, ect.

Quote:

Jesus Christ brought the good news (the gospel) that there was a higher law than the law of Karma-and that that law transcends the law of Karma. It is the law of grace, or forgiveness. It is the law which frees man from the law of cause and effect-the law of consequence. "Under grace, and not under law."

Yet none of this reconciles karma with 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. I doubt they can be reconciled. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, is instruction for handling situations - should someone harm you, return the harm equally unto them. Karma, on the other hand, is like the law of gravity, simply the way things work - that every action has a reaction, and that the reaction is relative to the action.

Even then, you still have not shown how Christ's teachings are contrary to karma. Karma, quite simply, is that good things beget good things, bad things beget bad things.
Vasska

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
That's the thing - Buddhism considers self illusory. Even the notion that there is a "soul" in of itself that does anything is considered to be illusory by Buddhists.

John Lennon compared death to getting out of one car, and getting into another. According to Buddhism, there is no one to get out of the first car, much less anyone to get into the second.

Buddism considers life as suffering, and only by suffering you can finally be enlightened. You take Karma from previous lives with you to the next one to pay the debts from your former life. By doing this you will suffer but learn, and finally be enlightened.

In some way they consider life an illusion, but i never read anything that put it in the same way you do. I'm genuine curious about what books or articles you read, and i want to read them to see your point for it is very interesting.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Because reincarnation does not have a "role" in Christianity, rather, it has a role in the lives of some Christians. Christians are a diverse group, with many different and conflicting beliefs.

That makes it so hard, when i am talking about Christianity i am talking about Christianity, it is impossible to take every small offspring from Christianity into account. And the opinion of John and Jane Doe does not matter in the big picture of approx 1.3 Billion Christian believers.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Heaven and hell have a role if they are allegorical, and if we accept reincarnation. Buddhism uses similar allegories - the various realms of existence, hungry ghosts, this sort of thing.

Heaven and hell would represent the "heaven" of compassion, love for others, kindness,ect , or the "hell" of chasing desire, selfishness, violence, ect.

I understand your point but what you are doing now is instead of using the words good and bad you use the (Christian) terms of Heaven (good) and Hell (bad). If we change heaven in good and hell in bad the whole thing makes more sense, don't you think?

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Yet none of this reconciles karma with 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. I doubt they can be reconciled. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, is instruction for handling situations - should someone harm you, return the harm equally unto them. Karma, on the other hand, is like the law of gravity, simply the way things work - that every action has a reaction, and that the reaction is relative to the action.

Even then, you still have not shown how Christ's teachings are contrary to karma. Karma, quite simply, is that good things beget good things, bad things beget bad things.

I agree with you on this point.
0 Replies

Dustin phil

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Gen 9:6 Whoever sheds man's blood, his blood will be shed by man, for God made man in his own image.

The law is a tutor to bring people to Christ.

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Gal 3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Gal 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
Gal 3:9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
Gal 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Gal 3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

"The law of balance or karma always says that whatever we send out in thought, feeling, word or deed, we will receive back into our own experience according to the same kind and quality. This is the law of Moses, spoken of in the Bible as the law of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." We are, in our human sides, the thoughts, feelings, words and acts which we have sent out to others." Karma - Cause and Effect - The Great Law
0 Replies