prepositions.. Glaucia and I in "da house" again

feglau

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:18 pm
Laughing Hello everyone !!!!

Now I am just wondering how you guys could come up with so many answers...(about at, in, on, related to school, church and stuff). And they all have respectful plausibility, and I am no longer confused after so many delightful explanations you guys have given me. But here's another story...

Give me some uses of the word UPON

Give me an explanation between the tide was high/low vs. in/out

Can the verb to jump be used with: From a place, into the water, onto the table, to the first place, off (??) the horse..... Is there anything wrong with this?

I know I come up with too many questions. But curiosity has made man wiser, that's what I once read in a book....

Thanks in advance !!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 812 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
Re: prepositions.. Glaucia and I in "da house" aga
feglau wrote:

Give me some uses of the word UPON

Meaning "on top on".

"Upon the table he found a glass of poison"

Meaning related to a time frame:

"Upon hearing his cry I ran to help"

Quote:
Give me an explanation between the tide was high/low vs. in/out

No real difference.

Quote:
Can the verb to jump be used with: From a place, into the water, onto the table, to the first place, off (??) the horse..... Is there anything wrong with this?

It's a bit unclear but I think the uses you have in mind are ok.

"Jump into the water"

"Jump on the table"

"Jumping on the bed"

"Jump off the bed right now!"

"He jumped off the horse."
0 Replies

feglau

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:05 pm
Craven, I really can't believe it.. what a small world we live in... Tell me, how long did you work in Pinheiros?

I am really glad for the answers you've given me....

Thanks !!
Nando
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:09 pm
Hmm, I'm not sure. I worked privately so I taught people from all over at different times.

I was living near Praça da Arvore at the time and they'd come by for conversation classes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
Upon a shad I learned much about Hinduism. Okay, thats really not fair....but I love puns (Upunishads).

Upon is a bit outdated in English usage, I think, hope the experts can clarify. "Once upon a time" is a classic fairy tale opening, but I do think that "on" and "onto" have replaced "upon" in common usage.

As for the tide being high or low, in or out, well, high or low are simply more descriptive, with a visual component to the definitions. In or out, seems to me, more pedestrian and straightforward, as in, it's here or not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:24 pm
I think the tide terminology also has to do with where it is being marked. On a vertical wall, it is more obviously up or down; on a beach with a very slight grade, it looks more like in (close to a beachfront house) or out (far away from the beachfront house.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:28 pm
(1) upon
preposition
1 FORMAL on:
Upon her head she wore a black velvet hat.
You can never place enough emphasis upon the importance of safety.
Upon your arrival (= As soon as you arrive), please report to the reception desk.

2 SLIGHTLY FORMAL be upon you to be something that you will experience or have to deal with soon:
Another couple of weeks and the holidays will be upon us.

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

(2) jump on = jump upon

FYI
0 Replies