Does An Artist Need A Muse

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 04:13 pm
Has anyone else noticed that the Muses are all female and dedicated to helping the struggling male artist/poet/dancer?

One hears of "handmaidens to genius" but where is the "handyman for genius"?

Perhaps creative women can function without flunkies?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:35 pm
Not that many women were writers, scientists and artists, or at least we don't have much record of them if there were. Gentilleschi came a bit later.

There was a female pharoh, but after she died people destroyed most all evidence of her, felt her female leadership was inappropriate. Pfft.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:04 am
Perhaps creative women cannot function when they are expected to be muses, handmaidens, helpmeets and flunkies.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
Portal Star would be referring to Nefertiti. Interesting story....she was married to Akhenaton, who was reviled for two reasons: He believed in monotheism, specifically, the sun god, and also believed that women should hold an equal place in Egyptian society, and so he elevated his wife to places Egyptian women had typically never been allowed. Both suffered horribly for trying to change their society. Technically, Nefertiti was not a Pharoah, but a Queen. That was unheard of at the time in Egypt. Thousands of years later, they are both still remembered, despite efforts to remove their memory from the face of the earth, and that to me says a whole lot. Now if Portal was referring to Cleopatra...that is another story for another day.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
Muses are not necessary but patrons are nice!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 01:14 pm
art
If someone asks you to be his muse, Shepaints, be sure to ask him what you are expected to do before answering. I guess that applies to patrons as well.
The poet F. Garcia Lorca wrote of a "duende," a dark inspiring force ascending from the earth, not the heavens. He notes its importance particularly for poetry and the flamenco.
I agree with Asherman that nothing is more conducive to the production of anything--from art to intellectual production--than work. But sometimes in the process of working one becomes inspired. But never wait for it to come before you begin work. The work of painting may itself be the ritual act needed to conjure a muse or duende.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 02:01 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Portal Star would be referring to Nefertiti. Interesting story....she was married to Akhenaton, who was reviled for two reasons: He believed in monotheism, specifically, the sun god, and also believed that women should hold an equal place in Egyptian society, and so he elevated his wife to places Egyptian women had typically never been allowed. Both suffered horribly for trying to change their society. Technically, Nefertiti was not a Pharoah, but a Queen. That was unheard of at the time in Egypt. Thousands of years later, they are both still remembered, despite efforts to remove their memory from the face of the earth, and that to me says a whole lot. Now if Portal was referring to Cleopatra...that is another story for another day.

No, not Cleopatra, who's deformed 2nd toe I share. I forgot the name of the pharoh of which I'm speaking, maybe it was nefertiti but I could have sworn she ruled alone for awhile. Thanks for the info Wink. I absolutely love Egyptian art - specifically their sculpture.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:14 pm
I think most of the world's greatest art work encompasses broader themes than "my muse".....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
No, Joanne, no artist has asked me to be his muse.

Oh, no, where did I go wrong?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:06 pm
art
"My sole inspiraton is a telephone call from a producer."

-Cole Porter
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:10 pm
No argument there! Laughing
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 07:35 pm
Famous muses must be Gala (Salvador Dali),
La Giaconda (Da Vinci) Helga (one of the Wyeths)
Jacqueline (Picasso) etcetera..................
0 Replies

MuzikQueen79

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
I think it would be a great compliment if i was someone's muse. I have found in my life that i have had some muse's. Mostly with my family i have found inspiration, so i guess they are my muse.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:27 am
delete
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
What creators need, is LOVE.

LOVE can be society saying "We want and appreciate your work."

LOVE can be another person expressing admiration.

LOVE can be lots of money in exchange for creative efforts.

LOVE can be a parent's approval or an educator's encouragement.

LOVE can be the greatness of another creator's works which invite emulation.

LOVE can be that which exists inside creative individuals and simply inspires its own expression through creative works.

I haven't thought this through, but it seems accurate, no?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:33 am
What a creator needs is financial support. Most of the best art in history comes from times when there is patronage. You can't do art without the time and money.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:05 pm
My fiance tells me that I inspire him artistically and I know he has inspired me. An artist doesn't always need a muse to create but it sure helps get things started! Very Happy

-Anastasia
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 12:06 am
truth
I have just identified and named my two muses: Lady Luck and Our Lady of Perpetual Sublimation.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:28 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
An artist needn't a muse if he is amazing.

Art, as most things in life does not have 'absoulute' rules.
Some artists require a muse for inspiration and the impetus to proceed in the process of creation.
Others posess the intangible that makes them 'have' to create.
That creation happens to translate into art.

With that said, I am on the same page with Lightwizard..however I would include artists of the fairer sex...
A BIG fat Smile On My Face Here!)

THE Fairer Sex. INDEED. In DEED.

NOW, that is another thread!

Regards,
fatima10
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:17 pm
Fatima....what a delight to see you posting on
the art thread, indeed and IN DEED! Welcome!

Thank God the artist rools when it comes
to the rules of art!
0 Replies