Does An Artist Need A Muse

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:26 pm
Muse
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin Musa, from Greek Mousa
Date: 14th century
1 : capitalized : any of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over song and poetry and the arts and sciences
2 : a source of inspiration; especially : a guiding genius

Has an artist ever asked you to be his or her Muse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,612 • Replies: 81
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:31 pm
I am not a (professional) artist, but I always need Muse for performing music.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:31 pm
No, but wouldn't that be the ultimate compliment? (On the other hand, maybe not if the art is "dark")
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:33 pm
Dark as in angry. You could inspire angry art.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:43 pm
It might amuse you to think so. Very Happy
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
Ex-muuuuuse me? Laughing
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
Embarrassed :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:13 pm
If she looked like Salma Hayek in Dogma maybe....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:34 pm
"Muse" was my nickname in high school, until people found out I was moving to texas and started calling me "cowgirl." I liked muse better.

I think as a general rule, if I had a muse it would have to be hot. I make the poor, tolerant people around me (friends, relatives, roomates) participate in, model for, and become my art, does that count?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:49 pm
An artist needn't a muse if he is amazing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:51 pm
I would think that a proper muse would be a creature that inspires others to do art. Consider the tolerant around you your muses, Portal Star...I do. Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:52 pm
I don't think that any sort of artistic endeavor ever gets beyond the thinking stage without some sort of impetus, whether that impetus be emotional or crassly physical, e.g. the rent needs to be paid. And that's all a muse is -- the impetus which makes you pick up your brushes, sit down at the piano, put ink to paper or whatever. As for the second part of your question, just because nobody has ever asked one outright, "Please be my muse," doesn't mean that you weren't an inspiration to the artist, conciously or not. Which probably makes most of us muses at one time or another.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
An artist needs passion and passion, for some, has to be in the form of someone else.
Yeah, he called me his muse but I think he was just trying to get some. :wink:
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:58 pm
That happens..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:03 pm
i write science. i settle for a mouse - good enough for me.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:08 pm
An artist doesn't need a muse, they just need to work. The more you work, the better you get. Being lost in the process, the work, amazing things happen ... sometimes. Anyone who waits for the muse to send some sort of devined inspiration won't produce much. Spend all of your time looking for a muse, the muse, and you'll never accomplish anything though you may meet some interesting people.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 05:52 am
I amuse myself.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:52 am
My art, cooking, depends on having people to do it for. It fulfills many things: Pays the rent, inspires me, and I meet interesting people. Asherman is right, as usual, as long as I'm working, I get better. Actually asking someone to be your muse may very well be "just trying to get some" as eoe put it. Laughing Blame the Greeks for making muses all female, and guys for picking up on it.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:26 pm
Asherman is right. Hard work is all!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:28 pm
It's all Greek to me and Asherman has it right -- that's why I am amused. No, I'm not a muse.
0 Replies