WWII and Japanese attempt at surrender?

Len Bowski

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:40 pm
The Japanese did not attempt to surrender. Please note that not one contributor has been able to cite any reference to any wartime Japanese document which would indicate that the Japanese Government officially sought to negotiate peace prior to the atomic bombings.
0 Replies

Len Bowski

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@Tantor,
I agree with Tantor 100% here, even though I am a lefty of sorts. I have lived in Japan for more than two decades and can vouch for what Tantor has posted.
0 Replies

sgbslp

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 07:41 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Yes I had to do a report on this in my history class in 1968. Its true. The story was that Truman wanted to see what the bomb would do and he also wanted to show Russia what it would do. Shame
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:05 pm
@Tantor,
Quote:
I think McNamara misinterprets LeMay's quote as an admission of moral culpability. I doubt LeMay had any misgivings that he was doing the right thing, as he was. LeMay specialized in cold assessment of reality.

LeMay was an amoral and an immoral 1st class war criminal. It is a war crime to target civilians and that's exactly what he did.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:11 pm
@Tantor,
Quote:
It's also worth noting that the Japanese were killing Chinese at the rate of the population of Hiroshima every two weeks. My sympathy is with the Chinese victims of Japanese aggression and I support the atom bombs which stopped that killing. Why is your sympathy with the Japanese aggressors and their barbarian war of conquest?

How did that rate compare with the rate that Americans were killing Filipinos? How does that rate compare with the rate for Americans killing Vietnamese or Cambodians or Laotians?

The US wanted Japan out of China so the US could kill at whatever rate was necessary to establish their dominance.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:16 pm
@Tantor,
Quote:
Japan had militarized its entire civilian population and armed them, even putting kindergarteners through bayonet drill with bamboo spears. They were to kill an American soldier each before committing suicide. You can not make your civilian population combatants and then claim protection for them as civilians.

Japan taught personal self defence because the US was such a racist country. There were many cries before the war for the US to exterminate the entire Japanese race, same ole same ole. It's hardly surprising that the Japanese would react in this way.

US media was as bad, characterizing the Japanese as sub-human, as animals - snakes and monkeys. This also came from politicians and military leaders.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 11:36 pm
@sgbslp,
sgbslp wrote:
Yes I had to do a report on this in my history class in 1968. Its true. The story was that Truman wanted to see what the bomb would do and he also wanted to show Russia what it would do. Shame

Nonsense. We already knew what the bombs could do from the Trinity test. And there was no need to bomb Japan in order to scare Russia; they could just be invited to witness some peacetime A-bomb tests if necessary.

The first A-bomb was dropped on Japan because: Japan was refusing to surrender.

The second A-bomb was dropped on Japan because: Japan was still refusing to surrender.

The third A-bomb was not dropped on Japan because: Japan had surrendered.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 11:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
LeMay was an amoral and an immoral 1st class war criminal. It is a war crime to target civilians and that's exactly what he did.

Wrong. LeMay never targeted civilians. He was trying to destroy Japan's war industry.
0 Replies