My Adkins Friends

Ibredd

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 01:49 pm
When ever I have my so called Adkins friends over far a meal, they keep advising me that
they are on this all Protein diet, so do they expect their friends to serve them several
kinds of meat instead of a meat and some side dishes, when you know they dont feed them
selves that way at home in these times when meat is very high. So whats with these people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:01 pm
Lunch meat and bacon, the fatter the better.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:04 pm
Ibredd- First of all, it's Atkins, and I am "one of those". I would never dream of insisting on a particular meal.

But, it is very easy to feed a person on Atkins. Some celery sticks which can be dipped in bleu cheese dressing makes a simple appetizer. Chicken or turkey are not expensive. Tuna fish is fine, if your budget is really tight. A big salad makes a perfectly acceptable side dish. Some sugar free jello, with a blob of whipped cream, would make me happy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:05 pm
Rudeness, plain and simple. Plus, Atkin's is not an "all-protein" diet, although it is low carb. The only time in the diet that requires extreme restriction of carbs is in the first two weeks, to initiate ketosis. If they have been on the diet for more than two weeks, they are just taking advantage.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 02:37 pm
Tell em to tough it out and get some discipline. Otherwise they wouldnt be fat in the first place. So now they want you to subsidize their latest "POP' self medication.

At least they dont have acute back pain so you wouldnt have to serve OXY.
wait a minute, Im not on abuzz amI?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:22 pm
I'm surprised that they actually mentioned it. I always thought it rude to ask people what they are serving and I could never imagine making suggestions. Their diet is their problem and if your menu doesn't work for them, they should just eat something before they go instead of making you revolve your menu around them.
0 Replies

user

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:23 pm
Yeah I agree with Montana.
Those guys should get their own food if they are on such a special diet.
I think it's pretty rude to tell your host what food to serve.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:03 pm
I get special diet requests all the time. However, I get paid for it.
0 Replies

user

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
Now that's a totally different situation cav.

But Ibredd's description just sounds like a naughty someone needs some special treatment there :wink:

http://www.gofuckyourself.com/images/smilies/NEW/485.gifhttp://www.gofuckyourself.com/images/smilies/NEW/zzwhip.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 06:33 pm
farmerman - you could well be on Abuzz. look familiar?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:32 pm
Quote:
I always thought it rude to ask people what they are serving and I could never imagine making suggestions.

Montana- Hmm. I have to disagree with you on this one. My husband has a lot of food allergies, and can't eat certain foods. If I am invited to dinner, I make a mention of it. There is no reason for a hostess to go to the trouble of making something, only to have her guest unable to eat it.

In the case of a diet, there are a number of variables. If this is a dinner where one couple invites another, I think that there is nothing wrong with sharing that information. If this is a dinner for many people, I probably would not say anything, unless the hostess is a good friend. Then again, if she is a good friend, she knows already!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:41 pm
quite so. I also ask people whether they have any special food needs before they come to my house - whether they are vegetarian, kosher-eating folks, diet folks, whatnot. in any case, i always have a salad handy, most people are down with that no matter what they must or must not eat otherwise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:47 pm
I also always ask people if they have any food they won't eat, or can't eat. From a self defense point of view, I don't want to develop an interesting meal and then have people avoid a big part of it. On the other hand, if I invite, say, seven people, I would probably make several dishes and presume everybody could eat something.

In times past, I might throw together a fresh pasta for friends who stopped by in the afternoon. Not these days....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:35 pm
Phoenix
I agree. I guess I hadn't thought of that since I always ask everyone if there are certain things they can't eat. I suppose not everyone asks.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:36 pm
Osso
I tend to make many different dishes as well, so it never has been a problem.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:37 pm
Dag
Same here.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:36 pm
I follow the Atkins lifestyle also. If it were me accepting an invitation to a meal at a friend's house, I'd tell them about my diet restrictions and ask if I may contribute to the meal by bringing and sharing a dish I'm able to eat.

In your situation, if I were the host on a tight budget and had invited friends on restricted diets, I'd try to accommodate their needs in at least one of the dishes and ask if they'd like to bring a dish to supplement the meal I was serving to everyone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 05:45 am
ehbeth-It looks like there is nothing new in the world. oh well, my commen t wouldnt work over there anyway.
I joined in the DUCK discussion just for stupid.
0 Replies