Ruthless Logic

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:23 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
It's possible to care all along, but have the nature of that caring change and evolve. And there need not be a discrete, defined transition.

What a great example on how to take developed moral foundations and propel them into judgemental perpetuity in 25 words or less. We need to move past the vagueness of immature idealism and confront the anxiety inducing finality of decided decisions with the sensibility of adults.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:41 am
@Ruthless Logic,
NeitherExtreme,

That's interesting. What you propose sems to be an intersubjective solution, whereas mine is an objective solution - where I, if not explicitly, suggest there's a valid basis of analysis possible.

Do you really think it possible that people with different values can agree a pracrical compromise solution without establishing a common basis of analysis? I don't. I think what you end up with is a compromise satisfactory to no-one.

I think intersubjectivity is important in establishing what everyone's views are - but then, ideally, the debate must be logically conducted to assess, and establish a view on each of the arguments - until arriving at a valid answer.

iconoclast.

Aedes,

Quote:
Here you're guilty of the "ought from an is" effect. How do you possibly derive a moral out of biology? And given how different embryonic and fetal development is from the rest of human life, why must we have a single moral that transcends both pre- and post-natal life?

I'm afriad I don't agree - there are biological facts that bear upon the moral question of whther or not it's legitimate to terminate a pregnancy, as you acknowledged earlier in the thread in your and your wife's decision never to bring a seriously ill child into the world. There's no ought from is here. Certainly 'is' type facts are brought to bear upon the 'ought' of termination, but the moral dilema is already out there, and merely informed, not established by the facts. Is that not so?

iconoclast.
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:01 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast;23629 wrote:
There's no ought from is here. Certainly 'is' type facts are brought to bear upon the 'ought' of termination, but the moral dilema is already out there, and merely informed, not established by the facts. Is that not so?
The problem is that moral judgements in a debate like this, where we're not really going to settle for relativism, are much more black and white than the biology of embryonic and fetal development. So it's impossible to derive a generalizable moral rule from biology, especially lacking a clear correspondance between some biological turning point and a moral judgement. In other words, the biology of pregnancy leaves us no clear indication of exactly when a fetus deserves to be called a human being, subject to the same moral judgements and standards.

Furthermore, while the "is" findings may bear on personal decisions and clinical recommendations, that is NOT a grounding for a moral rule. It's the basis of an individual decision, but that's not the subject of this thread.

The case you mention, how my wife and I would never bring a child into the world with a major congenital defect, is not a generalized moral prescription -- it's an individual decision. And this supports my contention (which is evidence-based) that moral judgements are not made rationally anyway, they're made viscerally and then rationalized.

So even in our own case, with my wife also being a physician, it wasn't that some academic medical knowledge or clinical experience brought us rationally to that judgement. It's that our experience has fostered a particular visceral reaction to the prospect of having a severely disabled or dying child that was identified prenatally.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
The difference between this question and the question of when you become an adult is that in this instance there is a huge discrepency in how you are going to treat the child/fetus, as opposed to the more subtle changes in stature at adulthood. In this case, at one stage you'd "terminate" them with no remorse, at another stage it would be murder. So while there might not be any concrete specific point for you, I think you can see the need to address the question rather than just shrug it off. If you are going to have strong opinions on the subject, and attempt to have discourse with others about it, I would sugest that you take some time and really think about when you think a child/fetus is important as a human being. At least get a ball-park time period or stage of developement. Obviously you don't have to pick the same point I would. Frankly, you could choose anything from conception to some point in adulthood, but I think you owe it to yourself (and anyone you're going to discuss this subject with) to figure out when you choose to start caring about the child/fetus.

I believe the most important development in terms of becoming a valuable person (valuable in themselves as moral ends) is that of self-awareness.

I think existence is only valuable to the extent that one knows what they are and what they want to be. A good indicator of this shows up around 18 months to 2 years, when a child begins to show embarrassment. However, I am sure that there are benchmarks that occur before this moment that are significant.

So like I said, I am not entirely sure when this threshold is crossed (in fact it is crossed at different ages and levels of development, depending on the child), I just know that it is certainly there by 12-18 months, and I am reasonably sure that it is not there at any point before birth.

Quote:
I was talking to Mr. Fight the Power, who has appeared to unapologetically consider the fetus unworthy of any rights or care.

It would be difficult for me to hold a moral stance apologetically.
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;23636 wrote:
I believe the most important development in terms of becoming a valuable person (valuable in themselves as moral ends) is that of self-awareness.

I think existence is only valuable to the extent that one knows what they are and what they want to be. A good indicator of this shows up around 18 months to 2 years, when a child begins to show embarrassment.
My son, now 5 months old exactly today, loves looking at his own hands and feet. That is the first developmental sign of self-awareness.
iconoclast

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:15 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Aedes,

Okay, but 'your experience' are is type facts, and visceral reaction or not, are brought to bear upon a moral question - unless you think a feotus with a congenital defect is not worthy of moral consideration. I don't think that's so - I think you realize that the greater morality here is in termination, for your sake to some extent, but for the sake of the child itself.

Thus, I think you must acknowledge that there are biological facts that bear upon the moral question of whther or not it's legitimate to terminate a pregnancy, whether or not this is a personal calculs or generalizable moral principle.

For what it's worth - I agree with you and lean toward those very reasons being just such a general moral principle.

iconoclast.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:18 am
@Ruthless Logic,
Ruthless Logic wrote:
We need to move past the vagueness of immature idealism and confront the anxiety inducing finality of decided decisions with the sensibility of adults.

This is laughably ironic.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:30 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
My son, now 5 months old exactly today, loves looking at his own hands and feet. That is the first developmental sign of self-awareness.

This is the difficulty of this topic though. Completely buying into the possibility that this is recognition of the fact that it is your son's own hands and feet, we are still faced with the question of whether simple self-recognition and self-differentiation is morally important.

The easiest way for me to deal with this issue is to argue that there is no important development during the pregnancy, and that, barring extenuating circumstances, there is little to no reason to kill a child after birth.

So I answer the abortion question and then shirk the difficulties that that answer places on the question of infanticide.
Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:48 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast;23638 wrote:
Okay, but 'your experience' are is type facts, and visceral reaction or not, are brought to bear upon a moral question - unless you think a feotus with a congenital defect is not worthy of moral consideration. I don't think that's so - I think you realize that the greater morality here is in termination, for your sake to some extent, but for the sake of the child itself.
But don't you see that it's NOT in any way a generalizable moral by which I would judge anyone else's decision. I have tremendous admiration for people who are willing to love and care for a severely disabled child. I had a patient last week who is my age with severe mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and multiple medical problems whose parents have been lovingly caring for her for her whole life. They've sacrificed a tremendous amount for her and I have all the admiration (and support) in the world for them.

If one could anticipate this in advance, I would not make the same choices. It's not that I could not do it, but on moral grounds I would not. But a moral need not extend past one's own choices!!

Medical ethical standards will indeed generalize things based on biology, of course, but medical ethics is a different sort of phenomenon. There are a few morals in medical ethics (like autonomy, do no harm, etc). But most medical ethical dictates are utilitarian in nature, so the issue isn't the principle, it's the outcome.

Quote:
Thus, I think you must acknowledge that there are biological facts that bear upon the moral question...
But again that's NOT the question being asked. The embedded assumption is that killing an "innocent" human being is always murder, therefore when a human being comes into existence should determine where abortion ends and murder begins. And the problem is that human being is not a biological phenomenon, it's a metaphysical concept, and thus it cannot be defined by some gestational date or milestone. Thus, the moral determination of when we can call it murder hinges solely on a metaphysical concept -- and while this can be informed by biology, it cannot be defined by it. So to try and force someone to commit to a gestational age or developmental milestone DOES contain the fallacy of deriving ought-from-is, because of the linked assumption that murder pertains to human beings as a concept.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:54 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;23644 wrote:
we are still faced with the question of whether simple self-recognition and self-differentiation is morally important.
Well, I think neither one is necessary for a moral argument here. There are plenty of human beings who by virtue of illness or injury no longer have the cognitive capacity to even be conscious, let alone self-aware. But that doesn't mean they forfeit any protection from murder.

Furthermore, even if a young infant hasn't developed true self awareness, infants are highly social creatures from the moment of birth. They vocalize, they make eye contact, they have differentiated cries and facial expressions, etc. In other words they are participatory members of their family and environment from the moment they come out.

Quote:
The easiest way for me to deal with this issue is to argue that there is no important development during the pregnancy
But that's not biologically correct. There are many physiologic changes that birth creates, but none of them is neurologic. Neurodevelopmentally there is nothing that changes by virtue of birth alone if you correct for gestational age. In fact premature babies who are live born are generally developmentally behind unborn ones because of the physiologic and medical stress that prematurity creates.
Ruthless Logic

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:17 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
This is laughably ironic.

The only ironic comedy is the inspection of your academic transcripts and your unabashed desire to drape yourself with credibility.
Ruthless Logic

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:15 pm
@Ruthless Logic,
That is simply an ought-from-is, which I know you don't adhere to. (quote)

It truly amazes me the adoption of a careless cliche' and the related affirmation of truth, which is one of the main reasons why I tend to harp on individuals to test their beliefs. When it comes to invoking a decided decision it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to completely uncouple the OUGHT from the IS and there is NO empirical example that exists to support this idealistic destination derived from careless consideration.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:26 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Well, I think neither one is necessary for a moral argument here. There are plenty of human beings who by virtue of illness or injury no longer have the cognitive capacity to even be conscious, let alone self-aware. But that doesn't mean they forfeit any protection from murder.

Of course there must be other considerations, but I still think that the idea of self awareness and actualization must be in any discussion of the morality of abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, or eugenics. It is not something I can really make a good argument for, but, without a sense of self fulfillment, of becoming what you want to be, there is not much value to existence.

Quote:
Furthermore, even if a young infant hasn't developed true self awareness, infants are highly social creatures from the moment of birth. They vocalize, they make eye contact, they have differentiated cries and facial expressions, etc. In other words they are participatory members of their family and environment from the moment they come out.

Why is social behavior important?

Quote:
But that's not biologically correct. There are many physiologic changes that birth creates, but none of them is neurologic. Neurodevelopmentally there is nothing that changes by virtue of birth alone if you correct for gestational age. In fact premature babies who are live born are generally developmentally behind unborn ones because of the physiologic and medical stress that prematurity creates.

I understand that. The second part of that solution has little to do with biology, and everything to do with the costs of protecting the child's right to live. If the mother has no claim to her body against the child, there is little reason to press the issue any further.
Aedes

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:00 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;23809 wrote:
Why is social behavior important?
Two reasons:

1) Because you're talking about neurodevelopmental stage as the decision point about whether or not abortion is morally sound. And while we can only make educated guesses about self-awareness, what we DO know is how they interact and participate in their family.

2) Because we're talking about moral judgements of other people here, which is in itself a social process on our part.
iconoclast

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:58 am
@Aedes,
Aedes,

I concede to your knowledge of and involvment with the subject. You are a medical doctor and I have all the admiration in the world for that. I couldn't do what you do, just thinking about these questions fills my heart with terror - much less dealing with the sticky biology and even stickier emotional decisions of real living people.

[screams like girl in 1950's sci-fi movie]

In the abstract, please, surely there's a point in the physical process of gestation where the metaphysical definition of the human being doesn't apply - perhaps because there's no awareness or ability to feel pain?

Is this not subject to factual definition?

iconoclast.
Aedes

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:48 am
@iconoclast,
iconoclast;23840 wrote:
just thinking about these questions fills my heart with terror - much less dealing with the sticky biology and even stickier emotional decisions of real living people.
Sounds crazy, but that's the biggest reward in it. Though to be perfectly honest doing pediatric subspecialty work is a lot different to me now that I'm a parent, I have to be much more guarded to compartmentalize it.

Quote:
surely there's a point in the physical process of gestation where the metaphysical definition of the human being doesn't apply - perhaps because there's no awareness or ability to feel pain?

Is this not subject to factual definition?
Well, then we probably first need that metaphysical definition of the human being. If some say that it's synonymous with the biological definition of a human, then it would start from conception in that case. If people require things like complex reason and logic and abstract thought, i.e. faculties that are unique to humans, then the problem is accounting for adult humans who are impaired. In other words, the definition has to encompass members of the group who have not or cannot achieve the full potential of that "human" concept.

The ability to feel pain is sort of something that can be biologically defined, but even this isn't so simple. Pain is not a simple thing, and in fact there are several types of peripheral pain sensation (with different types of nerve fibers to convey them). Furthermore, there are central aspects of pain perception as well. And these different phenomena do not develop 100% simultaneously. So you'd need to go further and specify exactly what you mean by pain sensation.
iconoclast

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:30 am
@Aedes,
Aedes,

The first time I wrote the previous post I suggested that the parents of the impaired patient you spoke of were morally irresponsible to bring a child into the world that's not a full shilling - and suffers so much for the fact, but then I looked up cerebral palsy and found my moral certainty divided again and again by the facts.

It's not a genetic condition, it can occur anywhere from pre-natal to plus three, it's hard to diagnose - brain scans of the feotus? Is that right? And then, it's an unberella term for about half a dozen different conditions.

So, I sarted adding caveats - if this, if that... This became so huge and confused I deleted it and started again, all the while besieged by the moral terror of generalizing such proscriptions - and conjuring horrifying pictures of babies strangled by umbilical cords, breach births, brain tumours...and so on, agianst the background of the harrowing emotions involved.

[screams like girl]

I tried again, but still couldn't make sense of it, or bear to consider the question further - and so wrote as I did of my enormous admiration for what you do. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that pain is no simple thing - having read what I have.

Quote:
So you'd need to go further and specify exactly what you mean by pain sensation.

Can't just stick a pin in it and see if it twitches, no?

Then I'm done!

:surrender:

iconoclast.
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@iconoclast,
iconoclast wrote:
NeitherExtreme,

That's interesting. What you propose sems to be an intersubjective solution, whereas mine is an objective solution - where I, if not explicitly, suggest there's a valid basis of analysis possible.

Do you really think it possible that people with different values can agree a pracrical compromise solution without establishing a common basis of analysis? I don't. I think what you end up with is a compromise satisfactory to no-one.

I think intersubjectivity is important in establishing what everyone's views are - but then, ideally, the debate must be logically conducted to assess, and establish a view on each of the arguments - until arriving at a valid answer.

iconoclast.

Hi iconoclast. Yes, I think it's possible for people with different values, through honest questioning and understanding, to come to a comprimise that is better than would be found by drawing battle lines around "objectivity". (I say "better" because it still won't be perfect.) Objective annalysis will never create common values, which are subjective. Remember, even "objective analysis" is a subjective value which is not of equal importance to all people. That said, if common values are found, that makes the job that much easier. Now, whether such honest questioning, understanding, and comprimise will happen or not is another story... Human history doesn't exactly inspire optimism on that front.
0 Replies

astrotheological

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@Peter phil,
Peter wrote:
At a local philosophy discussion group which I attend, we got round to discussing the ethics of abortion (a hot topic, I know!)

I said that I was dissatisfied with my own ideas on this topic. I am clear that at the beginning of the pregnancy, all or virtually all the rights are with the mother. Equally, by the later stages, the preponderance of rights lie with the foetus. My problem is that I can find no clear point at which the foetus becomes a child with attendant rights. No such sharp transition exists, just as there is no single point at which a child becomes an adult. Both are developmental processes, not step processes. So when the law fixes an age at which the foetus "becomes" a child, or the child "becomes" an adult, we all know these are necessary fictions.

One consideration that would be relevant in determining the cut-off point for abortion is the stage at which the foetus becomes sensitive to any pain incurred during the abortion process. But when does pain-sensitivity start? Looking at different websites I see that estimates vary widely, from 15 weeks to 28 weeks - and guess what - these estimates are closely correlated with the ideological stances of the writers. Those who have a liberal attitude to abortion place the onset of pain-sensitivity late in gestation, anti-abortionists insist that it begins early.

Is there any hope of some neutral authoritative information on this crucial question?

Peter

I believe that abortion should be legal because if you became pregnant at the age of 16 then you would be in hell for it.
Poseidon

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:13 pm
@astrotheological,
What bothers me about all this, is that nobody seems to take into account the effect abortion has on society generally.

I have never met a woman who has had an abortion, who is then emotionally stable afterwards. In fact, they become almost completely desensitized to the suffering of others.

Also, the going argument is that it is her body, so she has the right. However, it is nearly always her parents who coerce her into the abortion; especially her father; who often has issues with someone having sex with HIS daughter in the first place.

Also, a young man who has had his child aborted is similarly disturbed and emotionally distant from his living children thereafter. (If he dares to even try and have any).

Once a woman has accepted a man's seed into her body, then the unborn child is as much his as it is hers. After all, he is the the one that will be responsible for its welfare in later life. And men have to go to all sorts of lengths just to plant the seed in her body in the first place.

When a woman allows a man to perform the deed, she is technically agreeing to have a child with him. The reproductive act is a form of contract. Normally it is the girls father who then forces the abortion on the man. Thus; it gives the rights to kill his child (which she has agreed to bare by having sex with him) to someone else (her father) who is outside of the realtionship, and does not have to suffer the consequences of the deed.

But the worst of this all is that the emotional damage of this, is life-long, to both the abortion-woman and the abortion-man. It makes one lose hope in society generally. And it decays the very fabric of society : trust. The consequences WILL be felt, but not necessarily understood.

Very often, the doctor is pursuaded by the father of the pregnant woman to sterilize the girl at the same time, and most such girls go on to become prostitutes, as that is all 'they are now considered 'good' for'.

I am not really debating this. I am stating, that the fact is: it WILL and HAS destroyed the society in which it is performed. I think I should go and live in Ireland.

The arguments for abortion; are mostly in favour of eugenics; and we all know where that leads. It is not so much a slippery slope, as a free-fall into a living hell.