Aedes

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:58 pm
@Peter phil,
It was created months ago, it's 42 pages and over 400 posts long, and it was resurrected without much new to say.

People make visceral moral judgements and then rationalize them. The strength of one's moral judgement about abortion determines what side of the fence someone lands on. That's all it comes down to, whatever the history, whatever the biology, whatever the reasoning.
0 Replies

MJA

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 12:45 am
@averroes,
Abortion is putin the cart before the horse. Don't ya think?
The horse is the problem.
Its Self control.
There is 6.5 billion of us now, and were running wild and killing everything, the whole planet, ourselves.
Them horses are mankind and the cart well, were even killing ourselves before were even born.
Wooo Nelly!

=
MJA
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:02 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
This is a frightening degree of conspiratorial paranoia... what are your feelings about Roswell and about the Kennedy assassination?

Aedes, I know it sounds hard to believe and it may very well be my imagination for there is no proof. You have to understand I don't believe every thing I read. You are more than welcome to draw your own conclusions. We are not talking about Kennedy or Roswell are we? I have no idea of how old you are. Being there carries a little more weight that just reading about it. You have to understand the mindset of a people during those times. In 1965, the "word" abortion was only said in whispers it was so frown upon. Eight years later it becomes a legal procedure? It would have taken a hell of a lot more that a few radical feminists to change that mind set. So if you would be so kind as to reserve your "conspiracy theory" comments until after you have read my opinions, it would be appreciated. thanks, my friend.:a-ok:

William
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:33 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
I fail to see the supposed motivation behind such a conspiracy...why would fetal brain research be so important to warrant this elaborate scheme?

I have no idea of all the discoveries that have resulted from fetal brain research other than that devoted to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's and perhaps we will never know. Pangloss, this motivation is, I will agree, my own deductive reasoning based on all that I witnessed prior to Roe v. Wade. I could be all wet and this research could have, in most part, come as a result of legalized abortion as it took advantage of the opportunity it afforded. This is where I am totally ignorant in just how promising the research was at that time? That I don't know. All I do know is research material was in short supply and if it did show promise of curing the ails of the aged, that would be the motivation needed.

William
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:15 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Fetal brain research is easy -- you just use animal models. Much of the differentiation between human and other mammalian development happens long after birth. A friend's husband does research on the neuroanatomical effects of fetal alcohol syndrome. He uses fetal mouse brains. There's no need for human fetuses.

In relation to what you thought "frightening" a few posts back as to my "paranoia", which, btw, is only my conclusions as to what I personally observed and has nothing to do with paranoia, but this sort of research as you mention above scares that hell out of me. Though I will admit it may show some positive results as to fetal alcohol reaearch, but it may also instill an overwhelming desire to eat cheese. Ha. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am going to just make a blank statement here. That effort we apply to solving the ails of man in studying the animal, especially brain research, is "grasping at straws" IMO especially as it relates to those "medicines" that come about as a result of that research and the long term affects that could be involved. That's paranoia, but it is a legitimate one. IMO.

william
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:30 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
You'd find a number of societies currently have no laws or no ability to enforce laws. These include Somalia, eastern Congo, southern Sudan, Burundi, and for much of the last 6 years Iraq. Angola for the last generation up until Jonas Savimbi died is another great example of anarchy. Northern Pakistan and much of Afghanistan remain functionally lawless. You might reflect upon the former Yugoslavia from 1993-1996 or so, or Haiti during the 1990s.

Having some examples of societies that meet your philosophical ideals, why is it that you would choose to remain in your current land with all its legal encroachments? Why not move to Somalia? You'd have an amazing amount of wealth there, you know, and you could get all the guns and armed guards you want -- you could be a warlord unto yourself.

Quality of life is not measured by the amount of legal encroachment. This question appears to be a terrible fallacy.

It is actually worth noting here, though, that Somalia actually maintained a smaller wealth gap and lower levels of poverty than in governed African states.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:48 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Pangloss wrote:

Her argument supposes, like that of some pro-life supporters, that the fetus is a person, and then looks at the rights of said person compared to those of the mother. I think she makes a good argument for abortion rights, certainly in the case of protecting the mother's health, as well as in the case of rape. Beyond that though, there is nothing of substance she has offered as to how abortion can be a morally right decision (in those cases where the mother's health, or rape, are not factors).

Her entire argument is about how abortion is morally justified regardless of the personhood of the fetus. Her argument does not suppose that a fetus is a person, her argument suggests that it doesn't matter if a fetus is a person or not.

Pangloss wrote:
This quote here is problematic; do we need a lesson again on where babies come from? Surely you can take reasonable precautions against having a child, but the fact remains, there is a chance that child will come anyway. A child does not just spontaneously appear; it is the result of intercourse. I don't see how somebody can argue that biological parents do not have a special responsibility for their child, if they value human life at all. If they do not value human life, then they do not fit into our society.

Again, Thomson's argument addresses this directly. Her argument suggests that having an abortion is taking responsibility for the potential child.

averroes wrote:
Hey, Reagen sure as heck did a better job in office than quite a few of your democratic presidents (and yes, I acnowledge that a great deal of republican presidents did a crummy job as well). If you took a moment to actually look at something besides the media-emphasised negative points, you would acctually find a good leader and a great man. And if you want invasions of foriegn countries, who initiated Operation Rolling Thunder in Vietnam? None other than democratic president Lyndon Johnson. But that is beside the point. Does the fact that it was Reagan who said that change the quote's relevence to the topic?:listening: You have succeded in grabbing my attention with cynisism. You have failed, however, to state your point about how you think I am wrong.

My Democratic Presidents? I didn't realize I owned them.

We could turn this into a thread regarding the Presidency of Reagan, but that would be off topic. My point is that we are finding moral guidance from a man who went out of his way to brutalize people all over the globe, including people in this country. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

As for the abortion issue, I brought up Thomson's arguments, which I find to be pretty well convincing. No one seems to want to address that argument with anything other than 'Oh, that's nice, but she's wrong'.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:43 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
It's nice to see the "anarchists" demanding an end to law, while at the same time they so very much enjoy the safeties provided them by the state and its evil laws.

No anarchist demands an end to law. They demand an end to law that perpetuates traditional and unnatural stratification of society and the empowerment of the state and its beneficiaries.

Quote:
There may be a difference, in theory. In reality, I don't see how you could keep your "anarchy" from degenerating into this "omniarchy", without rule (rule includes laws, whether written or implied). This utopian idea of a functional society without rule just has not, and will not exist. Why? Because the strong will conquer the weak, without some type of law and system for enforcement to prevent it from happening. If you think otherwise, then you hold an unrealistically optimistic (naive) view of human nature.

Strength is relative. The stronger a person is, the greater the number of people who are "weaker" than the person who presumably have understood the moral argument that they are an end to themselves. All of these individuals who now understand that their ends are no longer subservient to the ends of another will enhance their position through their collective might.

Quote:
No, I just have some knowledge of history. The recorded actions of warring, self-interested humankind throughout the last few millennia support my pessimistic, realistic view of human nature. There are some terrifically interesting works of literature that outline your utopian view, but they are fantasy.

First off, your knowledge of history should tune you into the fact that human history is the story of dynamic social relations. The study of human history tells us how societies have formed around the economic needs and provisions of the individual who form them and provides us with a chance to predict how economic needs will change in the future. You undoubtedly have seen the correlation between the productive powers provided by technology and the greater liberation of the individuals possessing this technology. Human history points towards anarchism.

I am also an anarchist despite the fact, actually because of the fact, that people will be self-serving.

Society is made up of a complex collection of interdependent, specialized individuals laboring to provide the means for the ends of others in return for the means to provide for their own ends. The more complex this interdependent system becomes the more obsolete the state will become, and the more beneficial anarchistic systems of laws will become.

Quote:

Some of the earlier, smaller native American communities were quite egalitarian, and as you describe. But, these were very small communities that soon gave way to larger agricultural-based societies, where rule of law was commonplace. Something which you describe could not exist in the modern world without the state's protection. Power politics work against these communities.

And of course the division of labor and market relations work against power politics.

William wrote:
Your discourse on this subject has been fascinating and enlightening. IMO, you are both right. I agree with lakeshoredrive in that laws, mandates, rules and power should evolve to guiding principles all can live by. As pangloss iterates it cannot exist or attempt to exist unless all are involved as history has violently noted. The strong will overpower the weak. No doubt about it. Our focus, IMO, needs to be on eliminating the catalyst that spurs power, greed and control and that is objective value. As long as we place value on objects for exchange, there will always be bloodshed. Always, as our number one objective is to amass as much as we can, that up until the present, has define an individuals worth, his status and the worship he receives.

William, while I agree that it is important for us to abandon greed and the rat race, I tend to think that this is only a factor for our growth as individuals, not as a society.

It is indeed the necessity of exchange that is key to the advent of an anarchistic society.

There is simply no way to enforce morality; if it is enforced it simply isn't morality. Therefore morality must be accepted. Now, we are all quite sure that counting on people to simply accept morality is a fool's game, so we come to a situation where people must benefit from being moral.

This is where exchange comes in. I have posted this quote many times, but the more people who read it the better, as it completely sums up the nature of peaceful society:

"... liberal social theory proves that each single man sees in all others, first of all, only means to the realization of their purposes, while he himself is to all others a means to the realization of their purposes; that finally, by this reciprocal action, in which each is simultaneously means and end, the highest aim of social life is obtained - the achievement of a better existence for everyone. As society is only possible if everyone, while living his own life, at the same time helps others to live; if every individual is simultaneously means and end; if each individual's well-being is simultaneously the condition necessary to the well-being of others, it is evident that the contrast between I and thou, means and end, automatically is overcome."

Individuals, through specialization within a divided labor force, produce enough economic value to provide incentive to trade and grow as a whole, rather than to compete violently against each other. Again Mises:

"The greater productivity of work under the division of labour is a unifying influence. It leads men to regard each other as comrades in a joint struggle for welfare, rather than as competitors in a struggle for existence. It makes friends out of enemies, peace out of war, society out of individuals."
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:45 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;38440 wrote:
Her entire argument is about how abortion is morally justified regardless of the personhood of the fetus. Her argument does not suppose that a fetus is a person, her argument suggests that it doesn't matter if a fetus is a person or not.

Yes, and it does this by, in part, considering the pro-life argument of the fetus being human. I agree with her that it does not matter if a fetus is a person...I don't agree with the moral justification that she gives, except in the examples of harm to the mother's health, and with rape. She makes a very poor argument beyond the two for these cases.

Quote:
Again, Thomson's argument addresses this directly. Her argument suggests that having an abortion is taking responsibility for the potential child.

I did not see any "real" argument for how an abortion involves taking responsibility for a potential child. What, she retold the story of the "good samaritan" from the bible, and then basically just said that we are not good samaritans, and that it is not reasonable for most people to assume the responsibility of the fetus/child that they created. Yea, she "suggests" that having an abortion is taking responsibility, but there is nothing to justify this suggestion in the article, beyond her basically saying that we are "minimally decent samaritans". What this really does is rejects any reasonable responsibility for our actions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:47 am
@Pangloss,
That's all fine Pangloss, but I am interested in hearing why you think her justification for abortion is weak rather than hearing that you happen to think this.

Also, the argument regarding responsibility goes beyond the good Samaritan discussion. If abortion is morally justified, then having an abortion is one way of taking responsibility for the potential child.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;38481 wrote:
That's all fine Pangloss, but I am interested in hearing why you think her justification for abortion is weak rather than hearing that you happen to think this.

Also, the argument regarding responsibility goes beyond the good Samaritan discussion. If abortion is morally justified, then having an abortion is one way of taking responsibility for the potential child.

I think it's clear why I think her moral justification for abortion is weak...she does not give one in that article, that I can find, that is worth discussing. She spent much time on the analogy of being hooked up to the violinist, and with other analogies to explain why a woman is justified in having an abortion, if the child/fetus was a result of rape, or if her own life is in jeopardy. These were good arguments. But excepting these circumstances, I saw no legitimate argument for the morality of abortion.

You say having an abortion is taking responsibility, if abortion is morally justified. I outlined in an earlier post why I do not see it as being morally justified, except for the two specific types of cases I mentioned. That article didn't offer anything to challenge my reasoning of the issue-- if there is some great argument for the morality of abortion in that article that I missed, then certainly you can explain it here in your own words, rather than keep referring me back to an article which I have already explained makes no argument beyond those two cases.

And referring me back to that article is all fine, but now I have read it and you know my opinion, so I'd like to hear your views, and your moral justification for abortion, in your own words. I would like to hear any other arguments to support the morality of abortion in this thread, because I have yet to see one good one (except in the 2 special cases). Unless you resort to a stance where you assign no value to human life, I don't see it. And to clarify, I'm not asking for a moral argument against the state making abortion illegal; the law is already decided, and I think it is probably correct, though imperfect. How do you morally justify the individual decision to have the abortion?
0 Replies

averroes

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 12:35 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

My Democratic Presidents? I didn't realize I owned them.

We could turn this into a thread regarding the Presidency of Reagan, but that would be off topic. My point is that we are finding moral guidance from a man who went out of his way to brutalize people all over the globe, including people in this country. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

As for the abortion issue, I brought up Thomson's arguments, which I find to be pretty well convincing. No one seems to want to address that argument with anything other than 'Oh, that's nice, but she's wrong'.

My problem is not with your Thomson argument, only that you chose to reject a perfectly relevant quote simply because it was by someone you didn't like. I admit that I am unfamiliar to Thomson and her debates, but would be glad to be introduced to them.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 09:08 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
If your looking for a little comedy in this topic type in
Pro Life is Anti-Woman-George Carlin on youtube or visit this website
YouTube - Pro Life is Anti-Woman - George Carlin
The comedian George Carlin puts this topic in an interesting way.Laughing
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
@MITech,
Because George was one of those rare Americans who was actually sane.
MJA

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Truth is that Way, isn't it?
That's why we're all here, cause we're just like George.
Hopefully we see the humor, and can laugh too.

=
MJA
0 Replies

averroes

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:17 am
@Peter phil,
Here's a little fun fact:
In Holland, they made abortion legal. eventually, the period in which you could get an abortion grew until you could get one the day you were expected to give birth. Soon, another law was passed that allowed euthanasia to be administered to a baby within the first month or two if there were any defects in the baby.
Does this seem utterly inhumane? before you answer, take a moment to listen to this. A new law is trying to be passed, extending the euthanasia period to a full year of age. a full year of age. There are arguments that in at least the first trimester, a baby is no more than a mass of tissue, but after birth? Can anyone tell me that this is not cold-blooded murder?
Yes, Holland is a generally amoral country, but it once was as moral as any other. This is something that we call the Domino Effect.
Theaetetus

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
@averroes,
averroes wrote:
In Holland, they made abortion legal. eventually, the period in which you could get an abortion grew until you could get one the day you were expected to give birth. Soon, another law was passed that allowed euthanasia to be administered to a baby within the first month or two if there were any defects in the baby.
Does this seem utterly inhumane? before you answer, take a moment to listen to this. A new law is trying to be passed, extending the euthanasia period to a full year of age. a full year of age. There are arguments that in at least the first trimester, a baby is no more than a mass of tissue, but after birth? Can anyone tell me that this is not cold-blooded murder?
Yes, Holland is a generally amoral country, but it once was as moral as any other. This is something that we call the Domino Effect.

It depends on how you view human life. If it is sacred and holy then I can see how you would be apposed to this. But if you see human life the same as life in nature then the argument for euthanasia in these cases makes sense. In the wild, defected creatures do not survive. But human society allows for the protection of the weak and helpless.
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
@averroes,
averroes wrote:

Fun fact?:perplexed: Do you have proof that substantiates what you are saying?

William
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@averroes,
averroes wrote:

I'm reasonably sure this is culled from a chain e-mail or some other rear-mongering tool, but this really is not that big of an issue to me.
0 Replies

averroes

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:54 am
@Peter phil,
1. "Fun fact" was a sarcastic remark.
2. This is no chain-letter there are multiple sources.
ex. Killing Babies, Compassionately
Take a look at this article. Does anything seem wrong to you when you read this?