FluMist/ Why Can't Older People Take It?

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:21 am
I have been reading about FluMist, the new flu vaccine that is administered intranasally. One thing that I noticed, is that it is marketed as suitable for people ages 5-49. I have not seen any material as to why the 50+ population is unsuitable for this vaccine.

Anybody know why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,311 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:30 am
http://www.flumist.com/

"In studies of approximately 7,500 people between the ages of 5 and 49, side effects were generally mild and temporary. Runny nose was the most common. Others included various cold-like symptoms, such as headache, cough, sore throat, tiredness/weakness, irritability, and muscle aches."

It appears that they haven't tested FluMist on people over 49. Also, they aren't recommending this product for people with asthma, HIV, or other groups who are actually at high risk for the flu and flu complications. This might be because it uses a live virus while the standard vaccine may not. I am just speculating, of course...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:31 am
It looks like the testing required by the FDA didn't include enough people in the "over 50" group to establish the necessary safety and effectiveness requirements so the FDA only approved it's use for those in the 5-49 year old range.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00913.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:35 am
Thanks, guys! It looks like young kids might have asthmatic symptoms. I am curious as to why the drug company didn't include 50+ people in their studies. Seems to me that they are the people most likely to get the flu shot!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 10:44 am
Well, according to that FDA link children between 5 and 17 are the most likely to actually get the flu itself and it looks like that was the intended target age group for the development of FluMist.

They note that it is 87% effective in preventing people in that range from getting the flu at all but people in the 18-49 range only had lessened symptoms.

It seems the older the patient the less effective the drug.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:56 am
Most "over 50's" burned out their nasal cavities snorting coke and other drugs in the 60's and 70's. Of course, that's just MY theory.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 12:10 pm
Uh Huh! Laughing
0 Replies