Pretexts, pretexts.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140679 wrote:
It is paradoxical that the very ones who accuse others of racism are, themselves, the stereotypers, and the bigots, as evidenced by their accusations.

But a racist and the one who justly accuses someone of racism are different, insofar as the intentions and reasons for why they are discriminating differ. One, I think, is being more rational than another, and one, I think, has better intentions. And, I think a bigot is one who is being unreasonable. So, I would not call someone who is justly accusing someone of racism, or discriminating against those who are racist, a bigot.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140692 wrote:
But a racist and the one who justly accuses someone of racism are different, insofar as the intentions and reasons for why they are discriminating differ. One, I think, is being more rational than another, and one, I think, has better intentions. And, I think a bigot is one who is being unreasonable. So, I would not call someone who is justly accusing someone of racism, or discriminating against those who are racist, a bigot.

For all intents and purposes, Fido could mean something entirely different than what is being superficially read in post #14. That's why the opportunity is in place for him to clarify. It is a right I think that all members should be afforded, which is the right to explain themselves before actions are taken (or whether they should be taken at all).
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140692 wrote:

But if the accusation is, itself, racist, and bigoted? I was being accused of racism because I was not "too fond" of Obama. How would that be a reason for accusing me of racism. (Unless it is assumed that the only possible reason for not being fond of Obama was because he is black. Which seems to be racist from the get go).

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 05:49 PM ----------

VideCorSpoon;140700 wrote:
For all intents and purposes, Fido could mean something entirely different than what is being superficially read in post #14. That's why the opportunity is in place for him to clarify. It is a right I think that all members should be afforded, which is the right to explain themselves before actions are taken (or whether they should be taken at all).

I never even suggested that action be taken. I think that people are their own executioners (as Donne suggested they are). I think it is difficult to believe that any sane reading of that post could yield anything but what the normal reading would yield. But he can certainly try.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 04:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But if the accusation is, itself, racist, and bigoted? I was being accused of racism because I was not "too fond" of Obama. How would that be a reason for accusing me of racism. (Unless it is assumed that the only possible reason for not being fond of Obama was because he is black. Which seems to be racist from the get go).

Who here accused you of racism? You're aware what was said was in response to Fido, right?
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140704 wrote:

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 05:49 PM ----------

I never even suggested that action be taken. I think that people are their own executioners (as Donne suggested they are). I think it is difficult to believe that any sane reading of that post could yield anything but what the normal reading would yield. But he can certainly try.

Why would any sort of suggestion of yours be considered for action on forum policy anyway? What the current issue is right now is Fido's post #14, which has problematic content that a few members have reported and found issue with. If it were not for this issue, I would not have found the report , conferred with other mods, and I would not be involved in this thread. Interestingly enough, we could have just issued a large infraction and deleted the content, but I think Fido is capable of explaining the statement without any big deal (besides your flaming the situation) considering Fido has been on the forum a long time and would like to remain a contributor. As to people being their own executioners, I agree. People are held accountable for their actions, statements, etc. Seems reasonable to me. As to any sane reading of Fido's post, suffice to say some people interpret things different than others, and some people intend to convey some things which in turn don't come out the right way. This may be the case with Fido. Also, on Zetherin's point, who here accused you of racism?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140712 wrote:
Who here accused you of racism? You're aware what was said was in response to Fido, right?

Fido.................

---------- Post added 03-17-2010 at 07:28 PM ----------

VideCorSpoon;140719 wrote:
Why would any sort of suggestion of yours be considered for action on forum policy anyway? This may be the case with Fido. Also, on Zetherin's point, who here accused you of racism?

1. That's good. I was concerned.
2. Fido.........................
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140399 wrote:
So, Obama wanted a pretext to bash Israel, for some reason of his own,

ken makes a vague statement about Obama having a private agenda.

Some prominent black people have made anti semitic remarks.

Ken has not said that Obama is anti semitic. Of what private agenda does he speak?

Fido was obviously parodying someone who not only thinks Obama is anti semitic, but is racist. The parody landed on ken. So ken was accused of racism. Or maybe Fido was just suggesting how ken's remarks could be construed... how they might reflect attitudes that are out there. ?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:26 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140727 wrote:
ken makes a vague statement about Obama having a private agenda.

Some prominent black people have made anti semitic remarks.

Ken has not said that Obama is anti semitic. Of what private agenda does he speak?

Fido was obviously parodying someone who not only thinks Obama is anti semitic, but is racist. The parody landed on ken. So ken was accused of racism. Or maybe Fido was just suggesting how ken's remarks could be construed... how they might reflect attitudes that are out there. ?

I don't know whether his agenda is so private, but he wants to force a settlement between Israel and the Palestinians, and he does not much care (or consider) what the eventual consequences of that will be for Israel. The Israelis do care.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140742 wrote:
I don't know whether his agenda is so private, but he wants to force a settlement between Israel and the Palestinians, and he does not much care (or consider) what the eventual consequences of that will be for Israel. The Israelis do care.
I'm guessing he cares about how the situation impacts American interests. That's his job, right?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:43 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140899 wrote:
I'm guessing he cares about how the situation impacts American interests. That's his job, right?

It is certainly his job. But not his only job. For instance, he has to care about American commitments.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:08 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140902 wrote:
It is certainly his job. But not his only job. For instance, he has to care about American commitments.
That's true. We want him to be honorable. But the American commitment to Israel is based on what? I think it starts with a Cold and ends with a War. As G.W. Bush pointed out: this is a different world.

But word from Palestine is that the conflict has been draining the area for so long that the social stability of Israel is threatened. People have been leaving the area to find a place where violence doesn't rule their lives. They need peace.

And by the way: wasn't it James Baker who first threatened to withdraw US financial support from Israel if they wouldn't start negotiations? Only when they thought he might be serious did their aggressive stance soften.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140908 wrote:
That's true. We want him to be honorable. But the American commitment to Israel is based on what? I think it starts with a Cold and ends with a War. As G.W. Bush pointed out: this is a different world.

But word from Palestine is that the conflict has been draining the area for so long that the social stability of Israel is threatened. People have been leaving the area to find a place where violence doesn't rule their lives. They need peace.

And by the way: wasn't it James Baker who first threatened to withdraw US financial support from Israel if they wouldn't start negotiations? Only when they thought he might be serious did their aggressive stance soften.

It is based on a continuing promise by American presidents, and by Congress to the security and safety of Israel.

And, in the meantime:

JERUSALEM - Palestinian militants fired a rocket at Israel from the Gaza Strip on Thursday, killing a Thai farm worker, Israeli medics said, in the first death from such an attack since the Gaza offensive last year.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140910 wrote:
It is based on a continuing promise by American presidents, and by Congress to the security and safety of Israel.

And, in the meantime:

JERUSALEM - Palestinian militants fired a rocket at Israel from the Gaza Strip on Thursday, killing a Thai farm worker, Israeli medics said, in the first death from such an attack since the Gaza offensive last year.
Yes. If I could just mention the name again: James Baker.

Some folks near Israel have refused to recognize its status as a nation and have publicly announced that its annihilation is their goal. That sucks.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140917 wrote:
Yes. If I could just mention the name again: James Baker.

Some folks near Israel have refused to recognize its status as a nation and have publicly announced that its annihilation is their goal. That sucks.

Did Baker state that the United States was withdrawing its commitment to Israel's security? I don't recall that.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140919 wrote:
Did Baker state that the United States was withdrawing its commitment to Israel's security? I don't recall that.
I don't recall that either. Did Obama make such a statement?
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140921 wrote:
I don't recall that either. Did Obama make such a statement?

No. Why do you ask?
Arjuna

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140922 wrote:
No. Why do you ask?
I thought I might have missed something. Long live Israel and may the best of its potential be manifest... for their sakes and ours.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:39 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;140925 wrote:
I thought I might have missed something. Long live Israel and may the best of its potential be manifest... for their sakes and ours.

Amen!...............
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140692 wrote:

Thanks everyone, because I am just kidding around, and what is needed to justify violence as well as discrimination of all sorts is the ability to objectify some one...Point them out in the crowd, and you have done a day's work...Make them look less than human and you are a man... It is all nonsense...Let everyone be held to the same standard, if we are indeed the same..
Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:31 pm
@Fido,
Fido;141050 wrote:
Thanks everyone, because I am just kidding around, and what is needed to justify violence as well as discrimination of all sorts is the ability to objectify some one...Point them out in the crowd, and you have done a day's work...Make them look less than human and you are a man... It is all nonsense...Let everyone be held to the same standard, if we are indeed the same..

I often think you communicate on a different wavelength.

Do you know what just happened? I think you have absolutely no clue. In fact, I think most people in this thread are just as confused.

Let me explain.

You typed this:

Fido wrote:
Now there is a good reason to leave all Negro people unelected, and I admit it is a subtle difference from the rest of us, but their hostility is clearly clear now that you mention it, and no one could ever accuse a child of Israel of that... I say: Elect the Jews, and select the Negroes for low paying meaningless jobs, but give them rent money to pay for drugs or to their dear landlords, who may all be, for all I know, members of one tribe or another...

Now, without knowing the context, or considering your intentions or tone, this looked racist. What Vide and I were asking for is an explanation. No one is accusing or belittling you, so need to take offense.

Alright, you were joking. Great. But please try to make it a little more obvious next time. If it was obvious, and I am the twit here, let it be known.
0 Replies