Obama's Nobel Prize speech

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
I was pleasantly surprised by the President's speech in Oslo. The audience looked as if they didn't know what hit them. As someone said, "they were overdressed, and underemployed". What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 680 • Replies: 5
No top replies

xris

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@kennethamy,
I think he acknowledged the fact that the peace prize was a challenge, a challenge I think he relishes . Realising mans ambitions are not the same as his achievements. I find he gives me hope for a future he intends to change for the better. His growing into the position with grace and confidence. But then Ive always admired him.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:00 pm
@xris,
xris;110267 wrote:
I think he acknowledged the fact that the peace prize was a challenge, a challenge I think he relishes . Realising mans ambitions are not the same as his achievements. I find he gives me hope for a future he intends to change for the better. His growing into the position with grace and confidence. But then Ive always admired him.

He also said that war is sometimes necessary. And that the Afganistan war was necessary. And he defended and praised the actions of the United States in the last 70 years. That is the part I found pleasantly surprising. And what turned his audience green. They expected Jimmy Carter, and they got George W. Bush.
xris

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110272 wrote:
He also said that war is sometimes necessary. And that the Afganistan war was necessary. And he defended and praised the actions of the United States in the last 70 years. That is the part I found pleasantly surprising. And what turned his audience green. They expected Jimmy Carter, and they got George W. Bush.
He is a realist and the demands of office make it necessary he maintains the momentum in Afghanistan. He cant renegade on the commitments the previous administration made. Good men have died and to turn away now would make their sacrifice pointless. He did what i expected him to do, I think he found it difficult but thats a sign of his maturity.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:27 pm
@kennethamy,
Well, the Afghan-Soviet War sapped economic resources from the Soviet Union and helped lead it to its downfall. Why should anyone think that anything other than a sapping of U.S. resources would result in the current Afghan War? The country is nearly bankrupt and the last thing that can be afforded is more war.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;110288 wrote:
Well, the Afghan-Soviet War sapped economic resources from the Soviet Union and helped lead it to its downfall. Why should anyone think that anything other than a sapping of U.S. resources would result in the current Afghan War? The country is nearly bankrupt and the last thing that can be afforded is more war.

Except whether we can afford not to win. And the defense of what the United States has done for the world in the last 75 years is, as I said, a pleasant surprise. Particularly in front of that audience. If not for the United States, they would be giving out Nazi prizes. Or Stalin prizes. And the President pointed that out. They have been able to doll out their benefits just because we have been defending them.
0 Replies