Iraq War Could Have Been Avoided?

pistoff

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
Iraq War Could Have Been Avoided?

Quote:
A possible negotiated peace deal was laid out in a heavily guarded compound in Baghdad in the days before the war, but a top former Pentagon adviser says he was ordered not to pursue the deal, ABCNEWS has learned.

A week later, according to Hage, he and an associate were asked to come to Baghdad, when Hage says he met with Saddam Hussein's chief of intelligence, Gen. Tahir Habbush, later labeled the Jack of Diamonds in the deck of cards depicting the most-wanted members of Saddam Hussein's regime. Habbush is still at large.

"He was conveying a message," said Hage. "He was conveying an offer." Hage said Habbush laid out terms of a negotiated peace during a four-hour session beginning at midnight at a compound in Baghdad.

Hage said Habbush repeated public denials by the regime that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction but offered to allow several thousand U.S. agents or scientists free rein in the country to carry out inspections. "Based on my meeting with his man," said Hage, "I think an effort was there to avert war. They were prepared to meet with high-ranking U.S. officials."

Hage said Habbush also offered U.N.-supervised free elections, oil concessions to U.S. companies and was prepared to turn over a top al Qaeda terrorist, Abdul Rahman Yasin, who Haboush said had been in Iraqi custody since 1994.

(Yasin is one of the FBI's most wanted terrorists, indicted in connection with the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. Hage says Habbush claimed the United States had refused earlier offers to turn him over. Yasin remains at large and is now thought to be one of the people behind the recent wave of attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq.)

Throughout the period of the negotiations claimed by Hage, the Bush administration publicly maintained it would not conduct negotiations with Baghdad to avoid a war that did not first involve the unconditional departure of Saddam Hussein from Iraq or his surrender.

But Richard Perle, then chairman of the Defense Policy Advisory Board, said in the weeks leading up to war he told the CIA, but they refused the plan to meet with Iraqi officials to discuss a possible peace deal along the lines of the plan outlined by Hage to ABCNEWS.

"Although I was not enthusiastic about the offer, I was willing to meet with the Iraqis," Perle told ABCNEWS. "The United States government told me not to." Perle would not disclose which official or arm of the government rejected the talks.

According to Pentagon e-mails obtained by ABCNEWS, Hage's report of the Iraqi offer was forwarded to Defense Department officials on Feb. 20, including Jaymie Durnan, who at the time was the top aide to Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz. However, Pentagon officials said Defense Secretary Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were not aware of the talks.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/World/hage031105-1.html

*If this is indeed factual I believe that the Pres., VP and the rest of the staff should be charged with fraud by the Justice Dept. with an Independent Prosecuter to investigate the fraud.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 21
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:54 pm
The majority of Americans wanted the war; they got their war.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:45 pm
The majority wanted war?
"Wanted" ?

I don't think so. I believe that many people were conned into supporting an illegal pre-emptive invasion of a country that was no threat to the USA. Around 10 Million people on this planet protested against this idiotic pre-emptive strike!!!

I call it "false advertising". Fraud!!! Those responsible should be prosecuted.

I also feel that Shrub & Cheney should be impeached!!!!

In fact, I feel that these two should be charged with murders!!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:07 am
Whether this story has legs, a total or partial fabrication I have no idea. However, if it does I believe those in government who perpetrated this crime and it is a crime. Should be charged with mass murder and suffer the same fate as the Nazi's at the Nuerenburg trials.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:14 am
Pistoff's Article wrote:

Nuremburg trials? Are you serious? No war crimes have been commited, at least by the US. Just because you don't like the war does not make it illegal.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:31 am
If war could have been avoided and it wasn't I would call it murder.
Do you like war? If so why don't you join in. They could use some more cannon fodder in Iraq.

As for it being illegal. I would call it malfeasence in office for the president of the US to invade another country based on a lie. And this if it is true only adds to his crime.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:58 am
New York Times online is also reporting on the story:

Iraq Said to Have Tried to Reach Last-Minute Deal to Avert War
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:17 am
And to think that Bill Clinton was impeached essentially because of a blow job!!!!

If this pathetic group of misfits is not thrown out next year, I will question the sanity of the American public.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 01:29 pm
The truth shall set you free
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:35 pm
Acceptable?
I wonder what would have been acceptable to the US Govt. regarding avoiding pre-emptive invasion?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:39 pm
Re: Acceptable?
pistoff wrote:
I wonder what would have been acceptable to the US Govt. regarding avoiding pre-emptive invasion?

You mean short of Saddam Hussein hanging himself in public?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:43 pm
That would have been a good one!

Oh! And another would have been being more cooperative the past 12 years and maybe following some of the UNSC resolutions...oh and maybe had Saddam not been such a prick to his people...you know, with the mass graves and the rapings and murders...

OH! One more thing...had he not had the weapons of mass destruction.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:44 pm
Yeah, that.
I believe that the Neo-cons were Hell bent to carry this pre-emptive invasion out no matter what the cost in lives or expense. They are true believers. The most dangerous kind of zealots right next to radical fundamentalist Muslims.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:54 pm
Could be. They also use microwaves to read peoples minds, but those can be blocked with aluminum foil. Keep that in mind you walk around those "cell phone towers".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:32 pm
Quote:

To my mind, the most poignant and heartbreaking part of the story comes near the end:

Quote:
The three wounded soldiers are united not only in their good humor but also their unequivocal support for the war. Wyatt doesn't much care for those who think Bush fudged the intelligence on Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. "That makes you feel like you fought for nothing or you fought for a liar," he says. "They're telling me I went out there and I got my leg blown off for a liar, and I know that's just not true."

TIME: The Wounded Come Home
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:00 pm
Reality sucks.
Quote:
"Wyatt doesn't much care for those who think Bush fudged the intelligence on Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction. "That makes you feel like you fought for nothing or you fought for a liar," he says. "They're telling me I went out there and I got my leg blown off for a liar, and I know that's just not true."

True Believers. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:03 pm
No, not true believers, just folks who don't wish to think they've sacrificed for no reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
That would have been a good one!

Oh! And another would have been being more cooperative the past 12 years and maybe following some of the UNSC resolutions...oh and maybe had Saddam not been such a prick to his people...you know, with the mass graves and the rapings and murders...

OH! One more thing...had he not had the weapons of mass destruction.

Well, maybe the first few, but not that last one.

Bush knows of several countries that ACTUALLY HAVE weapons of mass destruction. He wants no part of them.

If he goes against a country WITH WMD's -- they might carry the war to him -- and there is no way he is interested in getting hurt.

When he says, "Bring 'em on" -- he means, I've got people I can sent to fight them -- not that he personally would have anything to do with that kind of stuff.

In any case, nothing but the removal of Saddam meant anything to Dubya. He just wanted to get Saddam because Saddam had caused daddy Bush so much trouble.

The rest of that stuff was window dressing for you gullible types.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:26 pm
One more time.
"I know that's just not true."

True believer. Rolling Eyes

Will 50,000 more troops quell the resistence to occupation?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 04:46 pm
Dreamers and Idiots
Dreamersand Idiots
Britain and the US Did Everything to Avoid a Peaceful Solution in Iraq and Afghanistan
by George Monbiot

Quote:
None of this matters to the enthusiasts for war. That these conflicts were unjust and illegal, that they killed or maimed tens of thousands of civilians, is irrelevant, as long as their aims were met. So the hawks should ponder this. Had a peaceful resolution of these disputes been attempted, Bin Laden might now be in custody, Iraq might be a pliant and largely peaceful nation finding its own way to democracy, and the prevailing sentiment within the Muslim world might be sympathy for the United States, rather than anger and resentment.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1111-05.htm

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1111-05.htm
0 Replies