The Adult Atheist Thread

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
You have made so many improper points it will take me hours to address them (e.g., because we know randomness occurs we should infer random change can be counted on to be constructive?),
I think 'Can' is the wrong word. 'May' is the right word.

Quote:
I DO NOT dispute evolution happened, I DO dispute there is the slightest bit of proper evidence that randomness and selection for fitness has been shown to be behind organ creation. Yet there you are in your quote stating clearly there really is "very extensive and detailed study to mutation and natural selection."

What a self-deception! Show me all this evidence that gives one iota of support to, for example, that mutation was random; I read incessantly and I can't find a single bit.
Taking you on your word then, what is it about the gestalt understanding of how errors sometimes (ie: at random) creep in to DNA molecule chains when they split and recombine to produce mutation that you don't accept?

Quote:
Ahhhh, and here we go with the strawman tactic. I love science, so don't start this baloney please. Relativity has confirming evidence, cosmology (like the BB theory) has the expansion of the universe to support it as evidence.
I don't think it's baloney on a philosophy forum to query where the line lies in use of terms such as 'confirming' or 'conclusive'. When demanding proof of something I think, ultimately, it's not possible on a philosophical level - it can always come back to some sort of 'am I the sage who dreampt he was a butterfly' quandry.

Because of this I think that the evidence for certain theories satisfies you whilst other evidence for other theories does not is possibly a crux of the debate.

Quote:
The ONLY thing I am pointing to is that neither you, nor any other evo "believer" has bothered to demonstrate how we can know randomness decided genetic changes that built organs OR that selection for fitness would construct organs even if the right parts were provided for organ building.
I agree that I don't think it can be known as I said in my last post. I prefer it to other explanations because it seems to me to be relatively complete and answer more criticism of it than any other theory.

But I still don't see why the example of the eye is not a comprehensively formed theory of how an organ couldn't result from a process of natural selection resulting from a simple mutation and reaching it's end point (if we use a human eye for the purposes of a commonly experienced end point).

Quote:
What should we call it but a mere theory when you can't, and won't even try to, provide evidence for the very "engine" the theory claims evolved life?
My issue would be that I don't think there is anything 'mere' about the theory. I think it's a great theory.

I did try to provide evidence, though it will apparently take you all day to address the problems with it. All I can really say is that if you aren't willing to explain to me why I am wrong to point to the evidence for the development of the eye as an example then I'm a little lost as to the cut of your jib.

Quote:
And that's why you have atheist, religion-hater Dawkins telling the world, "Evolution is a fact in the same sense that it's a fact that the Earth is round and not flat, [that] the Earth goes round the Sun." What a load of BS . . . it is only a "fact" that life gradually evolved over time, it is not a "fact" that mutation/NS did it.
I do think the language of certainty is misplaced. As I said - words like 'know' are shortcuts to avoid conversations full of caveats.

Is it the word 'know' that is causing you a problem?
boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 04:11 pm
@Dave Allen,
An interesting source

YouTube - Part 1 - Dinesh D'Souza Debates Peter Singer

Teach Philosophy 101 > Non-traditional Resources > YouTube
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:57 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
Addendum (couldn't resist)...

Nor I

Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
You had your version . . ..

What version is that? I have no version, I am at least honest enough to admit I don't know, unlike those who think they have the "truth" because they can explain the mechanics of things.

Forgive my come-back sarcasm, I am weary from years of debating exaggerating, subject-avoiding, straw-man arguing, physicalists who assume the truth of their theory and then "dismiss" and slap the label ignorant or understudied on anyone who tries to call them on their bullsh*t pretensions of being scientific.

Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
But yes, all scientists are motivated by anti-religious sentiments. None have ever done anything because they were interested in it. My electron transport methods will hopefully initiate the complete collapse of the Roman Catholic church. And the Higgs boson will be kryponite to Protestants.

I wasn't talking about scientists, I was talking about "scientism" believers who think only science can answer all answerable questions; and those scientism devotees who then go on to pretend something is proven, which isn't, in order to remove anything but physicalness from the creation story.

If a scientist is objective, then I have nothing but respect for his/her attitude.

Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
Darwin's theory was based on observations. It also allowed him to make predictions that transpired to be true. Have you not seen Adaptation? (You should... it's really good.)

What observations? Any that prove the simple adaption abundantly observed on extant organs today was the same process that built the organs in the first place? Any that prove what caused the genetic variations that led to organs?

I've read everything Darwin wrote, along with several shelves more of books on the subject I've accumulated over the last 40 years. Stop acting superior.

Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
. . . there was nothing to 'appropriate'.

Sure there was: who/what the creator is. The "religion" of scientism claims they've basically proven the creator stems from the potentials pf physicalness alone, which of course makes them the high priests of understanding reality.

The central spot where the creation of life forms took place had to be genetic change because if the changes hadn't taken place to begin with, nothing could have been selected. The sneaky little tactic used, is to make that change "random" (which fits physicalism) but then attempt to ameliorate our natural "huh" reaction to that fantastic hypothesis by adding selection for fitness post hoc.

As Dawkins says, ""The idea that evolution itself is a random process is a most extraordinary travesty. . . It is driven by natural selection, which is a highly non-random force. . . . chance enters into the story, but not a single, monolithic act of chance. Instead, a whole series of tiny chance steps, each one small enough to be a believable product of its predecessor, occurred one after the other in sequence."

Of course, that doesn't help the randomness problem one bit. A probability situation is not accurately described either by looking at one improbable chance act in isolation from the numbers of successive improbable chance acts it is proposed to have been part of, or in isolation from what those chance acts resulted in creating.

The resulting organization is still dependent on changes that ended up producing the most sophisticated system in the known universe. Although Mr. Dawkins recommends belief in the constructive power of chance, the only experience we have with chance tells us that the more we leave physical situations to randomness the more likely they are to get chaotic.

Bones-O!;49521 wrote:
Yes, we will all stop pretending the issue is closed. Round about the time we have evidence that the universe is conscious. You will be our leader.

I don't know about you, but I am conscious, I am in the universe, ergo, the universe is conscious. You just want to make the creator (whatever that is) a machine so you can understand it the way you understand physics, like the guy whose only tool is a hammer and so treats everything like a nail. In the respect of wanting the "truth" and clinging blindly to something still unproven as though it is a fact, scientism believers are no different than the deluded of religions . . . scientism delusion is just smarter.

Me, I believe nothing except what I experience, and no experience I've yet discovered indicates physicalness can self-organize past turning repetitive after a mere few steps. It is physicalness' lack alone, not some a priori belief that reality must have a God or conscious field or whatever, that keeps me a total skeptic about the potentials of a physical cell and a physical environment producing changes that created a conscious human being a few hundred million years after single cells started hooking up.
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:00 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
It's mean for you to accuse me of cowardingly invoking God or aliens as cause of human beings, when I'm just finding a reasonable reason for an atheist to believe such theory.

I apologize, I was a little harsh in the way I worded my post. My main point was pretty much that a survey of biological anthropology will show that evolution is a theory that stands on a very firm ground of evidence. Evolution is not an alternate theory to God or aliens, it is a fact of life. Evolution does not rule out the idea that God could exist--many theists believe in evolution--but it does make the alien causing humans speculation as pretty much empty nonsense.

Patty wrote:
What triggered Darwin is not the idea of God but actually the idea of separate creation of species. He believed that because of the seamlessly similarities of yet different species, there cannot be a creation of separate species. But then, his theory although is not impossible, cannot be accepted universally for it cannot explain the origin of life. Maybe it can explain the origin of species, but not life.

Here is the thing. The theory of evolution did not end when Darwin made his discovery. Sure, evolutionary theory cannot explain the origin of life, but that is not the point of it. The point is there is that there is life on earth and since that moment life has continuously evolved.

Patty wrote:
Question: can we say that the apes that we have are bound to an evolutionary progress that these species will then eventually become humans?

No, because humans did not evolve from apes, and not to mention, just because a species evolved from a different species, that does not mean all of the members of that species will evolve. Both humans and the great apes (gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans, and bonobos) evolved from common ancestors.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:

What version is that? I have no version, I am at least honest enough to admit I don't know, unlike those who think they have the "truth" because they can explain the mechanics of things.

Good point. I got a bit of tar on you. Apologies.

LWSleeth wrote:

Forgive my come-back sarcasm, I am weary from years of debating exaggerating, subject-avoiding, straw-man arguing, physicalists who assume the truth of their theory and then "dismiss" and slap the label ignorant or understudied on anyone who tries to call them on their bullsh*t pretensions of being scientific.

You say you're weary of straw-man argument, but most of your argument is just that. "Give me any evidence that fitness grows organs" is one. It betrays a misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. You can either get upset when people tell you this and just scream louder, or you could take the hint, read into the subject, see where you're argument is going wrong and form a new one on that basis. You're attributing evolutionary theory with conjectures it doesn't make - period!

LWSleeth wrote:

I wasn't talking about scientists, I was talking about "scientism" believers who think only science can answer all answerable questions; and those scientism devotees who then go on to pretend something is proven, which isn't, in order to remove anything but physicalness from the creation story.

And your reason for believing Darwin was a 'scientism' member? (That's a made-up word, right?) Evolutionary theory totally contradicts religious creationism, yes. But that's just what he worked out. Was he motivated by anti-religion? Any proof?

LWSleeth wrote:

What observations? Any that prove the simple adaption abundantly observed on extant organs today was the same process that built the organs in the first place? Any that prove what caused the genetic variations that led to organs?

First of all, Darwinism doesn't predict any particular evolutionary chain - that is impossible, so the prediction of organs is impossible. Again, read into it. Darwinism is about speciation, changes in species characteristics that, when other factors are introduced (or simply at the expense of the progenitor species) lead to a new species. Darwin did attempt to nail down one particular evolutionary branch in The Descent of Man, but again this had nothing to do with organ-building since the start of that particular branch was fulled equipped in that department. As for observation, Darwin observed the differences and commonality of characteristics of different but similar species and the environments of those species, how those species survived, what would happen if you move them around (experiment). Actually he started off studying the bird collections of some relative. All of this is in The Origin of Species which you've apparently read...

LWSleeth wrote:

I've read everything Darwin wrote, along with several shelves more of books on the subject I've accumulated over the last 40 years. Stop acting superior.

Then stop attributing evolutionary theory with claims it doesn't make. For such a well read person, you form an astoundingly misguided argument.

LWSleeth wrote:

Sure there was: who/what the creator is. The "religion" of scientism claims they've basically proven the creator stems from the potentials pf physicalness alone, which of course makes them the high priests of understanding reality.

Your argument is drowning in a sea of bad neologisms and dodgy metaphor. Well, this is all just what you want to believe and I'm quite sure that the fact you've plucked this rationalisation out of thin air is not going to dissuade you from employing it. I could say that people who don't believe in evolution all happen to be compulsive liars and heroin addicts. There - your argument is discredited. QED and all that.

LWSleeth wrote:

The central spot where the creation of life forms took place had to be genetic change because if the changes hadn't taken place to begin with, nothing could have been selected. The sneaky little tactic used, is to make that change "random" (which fits physicalism) but then attempt to ameliorate our natural "huh" reaction to that fantastic hypothesis by adding selection for fitness post hoc.

This is too easy. First, I don't think anyone would find the conjecture of random genetic mutation anywhere near as fantastical or tactical as the conjecture of mutation guided by some cosmic intelligence. Second, the theory of fitness for survival was Darwin's, which somewhat precedes genetics, which makes a mockery of the chronology of your argument. But I bow to your superior knowledge of evolution...

LWSleeth wrote:

The resulting organization is still dependent on changes that ended up producing the most sophisticated system in the known universe. Although Mr. Dawkins recommends belief in the constructive power of chance, the only experience we have with chance tells us that the more we leave physical situations to randomness the more likely they are to get chaotic.

This is, of course, generally true, which is what makes self-assembly, let alone self-replication, so special. And as I said to someone else above, the phenomena of self-assembly that organic nature requires is something that is now being used with unorganic materials in technology. The fundamental principle of life is being embraced in engineering because it is better than conscious design. On the microscopic level, that is. Statistical fitness for purpose is an improvement over exact perfection of conscious design.

LWSleeth wrote:

I don't know about you, but I am conscious, I am in the universe, ergo, the universe is conscious. You just want to make the creator (whatever that is) a machine so you can understand it the way you understand physics, like the guy whose only tool is a hammer and so treats everything like a nail. In the respect of wanting the "truth" and clinging blindly to something still unproven as though it is a fact, scientism believers are no different than the deluded of religions . . . scientism delusion is just smarter.

Mmm, but you postulate this universal consciousness as guiding genetic evolution, which means pre-dating animal consciousness. If your minimal requirement of a conscious universe is conscious entities in it, then once again your argument is chronologically paradoxical.

LWSleeth wrote:

Me, I believe nothing except what I experience, and no experience I've yet discovered indicates physicalness can self-organize past turning repetitive after a mere few steps. It is physicalness' lack alone, not some a priori belief that reality must have a God or conscious field or whatever, that keeps me a total skeptic about the potentials of a physical cell and a physical environment producing changes that created a conscious human being a few hundred million years after single cells started hooking up.

So you've personally experienced some cosmic guiding consciousness, right? That's why this is, to you, a by far more sensible idea than nature just running it's course..?

As far as I can tell, your two objections to evolutionary theory are:

1) that genetic mutations occur 'randomly' (i.e. complexly determinate, unguided by conscious endeavour);

2) that fitness for survival plays some role in evolution.

You haven't worded it quite that way, but your wording doesn't make much sense so do you agree with those two objections?
boagie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:39 pm
@Bones-O,
Some interesting lectures here.

The Genesis of Purpose ? A Lecture by Richard Dawkins - Digital Journal: Your News Network
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Hi all!!Smile

I think something needs clarification, I really do not think atheism is going to become institutionalised, what the real attempt here is the showing of numbers in order to eventually be treated with respect. I think most atheist realize that some form of supernatural religion is always going to be around, but there always tends to be this dictatorship of the majority. One must realize that although majority rule is democratic, the majority in certain aspects, certain locations would never concede equal rights to a minority, black people in the southern United States, would never have gotten equal rights if their treatment in the south had not been broadcasted across the nation. There is an inherent flaw in the concept of majority rule which on occasion needs adjustment--tweaked!

Thanks for making that point. The most important issue is whether we treat each other with respect. With that in mind, I would be very interested in knowing the primary reasons why people have chosen the atheistic perspective. My experience up to now has been that atheism is largely a reaction against naive forms of theism. Thus, I have been inclined to say, to most atheists, "I agree with you. I don't believe in the same God you don't believe in." So, would you say, "I don't believe in any possible conceptualization of God," or, "I have not yet encountered a conceptualization of God that sounds plausible to me"? Or some other way of expressing it?
boagie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 06:20 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Hi Dichanthelium,Smile

Yes, it is not often people ask about the conception the individual is entertaining, though with many it is rather a forgone conclusion if they tell you they are a born again Christian. If awe at the wonder of it all could be classified as believeing in god then I would indeed be a believer. To say god made everything and making the term concrete in that you cannot see passed this idol to the great mystery, means you have closed the door to wonder. It is a little bit like a lobotomy of the intellect.

I know some religious people actually avoid new ideas, I guess another Dawinian revolution could be just around the corner with people freely thinking and all. Most of the people that I know have really never spent much time pondering the big questions, wondering about the nature of their own being, identity what's that. Most people actually seem to be to busy living their lives for such foolishness, and that is why they settle for a rather childish understanding of the world and their place in it. Perhaps a new mythology will arise, based on the wonders of the world and the cosmos, perhaps then there will be a mythology that we both might embrace.
Dichanthelium

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:50 am
@boagie,
It does seem that the vast majority of religious folks are just following something they were indoctrinated into, while atheists usually came to their conclusions for more intellectual reasons. That's my impression, anyway. Then, also, as we have noticed in multiple other threads here, Christianity (which is the religion that most of seem to have been in contact with the most) is widely understood to be a matter of setting aside your intellect and just believing things on the basis of authority. On top of that, you have a lot of conservative Christians (I'm using the term in the broad sense) who think it is essential to believe in a literal Adam and Eve, and thus they have rejected fundamental scientific observations.

So, it's no wonder that, at least in our culture, theism, for many, has come to represent anti-intellectualism, while atheism can be seen by some as a more intellectual position.

However, I think the divide is not a necessary one. The merits of either position can be carefully examined by those who wish to do so.
boagie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:27 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium;Smile

The two schools of thought seem to be amazed at one another, one asks, how could you believe such obvious dribble, while the other side is puzzled at the rejection of that life affirmming dribble. It took me a very long time to learn that not everyone is coming from the same place, or functions along the same guidelines. It is unfortunately a further means of division among people, unless both parties refuse to let it be what defines their relationships-this is where it becomes politics or it does not. Unfortunately we all enjoy being around people of like mind, and as Spinoza has stated, if a person loves that thing which I love, then in all probablity I will feel love towards him. So, disagreement is a big thing around this question you might say of a worldview, particularly where you have a friendship that was forged on different grounds before this became and issue.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:42 am
@Dichanthelium,
*raises his hand in the corner*

Dichanthelium wrote:
...With that in mind, I would be very interested in knowing the primary reasons why people have chosen the atheistic perspective. My experience up to now has been that atheism is largely a reaction against naive forms of theism. ...

I think for a lot of people it is that kind of reactionism; to varying degrees. It might very well have been that way for me too; 15 or so years go.

In any case, as to your question, to me its immensely simple. You use the word "chosen"; for me it isn't a choice, not if I'm honest. The preponderance of evidence that I count as valid simply doesn't point me in that direction. We could inject numerous levels of "what ifs" here but what it boils down to is either you have a reason to adhere to this kind of notion or you don't.

As far as Boagie's reference of all this "life affirming dribble"; I think I'd love to have a bumper sticker made up with that phrase - it describes perfectly so much of what's out there in contemporary thought.

This Division: It really needn't exist, if people are able to be OK with disagreeing. But, on the whole, I'm not sure we are. Rant, rave, blame and sling mud - this is what we do; on ever issue from birth control to favorite soft drink to whether you like Fords or Chevys. For something so personal, I suppose it's not that surprising.

Nice thread - thanks
Patty phil

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:56 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
It does seem that the vast majority of religious folks are just following something they were indoctrinated into, while atheists usually came to their conclusions for more intellectual reasons. That's my impression, anyway. Then, also, as we have noticed in multiple other threads here, Christianity (which is the religion that most of seem to have been in contact with the most) is widely understood to be a matter of setting aside your intellect and just believing things on the basis of authority. On top of that, you have a lot of conservative Christians (I'm using the term in the broad sense) who think it is essential to believe in a literal Adam and Eve, and thus they have rejected fundamental scientific observations.

So, it's no wonder that, at least in our culture, theism, for many, has come to represent anti-intellectualism, while atheism can be seen by some as a more intellectual position.

However, I think the divide is not a necessary one. The merits of either position can be carefully examined by those who wish to do so.

Reasonable, but I have to disagree, with regard to theism = anti- intellectualism and atheism = intellectual position

First, religion is really not based on proving the existence of God. Many people outside of religion find themselves to believe in the existence of God through the intuition of the series of causes and effects. That beings come and go. These concepts need not to be thought of exclusively by philosophers, scientists, theologians, etc. This is not purely a result of irrationality, this may even be a result of crude rationality, let's say we can think like this by way of our nature of rationality. Now, religion's proper object is the proper conduct with regard to our relationship with God and the transcendental moral law. Science deals with the observable, and I also believe is the chief source of objective knowledge of the world. But then we have to admit that knowledge of the sciences can only give us only the laws of " the starry heavens above", but not the moral law within.

Religion is not against Intellectualism, it simply is not its domain. However, many theologians are great philosophers, like Thomas Aquinas. He is often times quoted only because of his 5 ways in proving God's existence. Anyone interested in a very systematic metaphysics should read his work.
boagie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
@Patty phil,
Patty,Smile

A literal interpretation of the bible speaks of itself as a anti-intellectual endeavor, I was told my self in my youth that in order to believe one must leave reason behind and take a leap of faith, that by its own defination is anti-intellectualism. As far as the intution of a higher power goes, there is no such thing as a closed system, so of necessity, we are all a part of something larger than ourselves, that is common sense not faith, that is reason not faith. In the United States the religious attack upon science, the attempt to usurp the public classroom to teach a myth in place of science screams anti-intellectaulism. Yours truely, the talking snake!Very Happy
Bones-O

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
With that in mind, I would be very interested in knowing the primary reasons why people have chosen the atheistic perspective.

Let's talk about 'choosing the atheist perspective'. I am male. I could choose to have a sex change and become female, but I don't want to, so not only have I not chosen to have a sex change, I have also not chosen to choose to not have a sex change. Masculinity is my default state. If I actually considered a sex change and rejected the idea, I have at most chosen to remain male. But if I do not consider it at all, there is no process of choosing.

Similarly with atheism. I am an atheist by default since I am not born with a religion, nor have I considered the various perspectives and withheld judgement so I'm not an agnostic either. I may consider subscribing to a religion and do so - then I would be choosing a theist perspective. I may consider subscribing but suspend judgement - then I am an agnostic. I may consider subscribing and reject the notion - then I am, at most, choosing to remain an atheist. Or I may not consider any theist perspectives and I remain an atheist without choosing.

Even if I choose to remain an atheist, I am choosing no more than to be what I already am. I just wanted to be clear on that, because the common view of theists is that atheists actively choose atheism, frequently out of spite, or to embrace immorality, or for some other dark motive. It's very difficult to correct this fallacy as theists seen to have some vested interest in perpetuating it, perhaps for their own self-validation.
Dichanthelium

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Let's talk about 'choosing the atheist perspective'. I am an atheist by default since I am not born with a religion, ... I just wanted to be clear on that, because the common view of theists is that atheists actively choose atheism, frequently out of spite, or to embrace immorality, or for some other dark motive. It's very difficult to correct this fallacy as theists seen to have some vested interest in perpetuating it, perhaps for their own self-validation.

Well, I certainly concur that we can't have good dialog if either side in the debate harbors hidden agendas or ascribes bad motives to the other.

On the other hand, I think many theists would challenge the idea that people are atheist by default. And any examination of that question could be very enlightening, I would think, regardless of whether you are a theist or atheist.
Patty phil

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:56 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Patty,Smile

A literal interpretation of the bible speaks of itself as a anti-intellectual endeavor, I was told my self in my youth that in order to believe one must leave reason behind and take a leap of faith, that by its own defination is anti-intellectualism. As far as the intution of a higher power goes, there is no such thing as a closed system, so of necessity, we are all a part of something larger than ourselves, that is common sense not faith, that is reason not faith. In the United States the religious attack upon science, the attempt to usurp the public classroom to teach a myth in place of science screams anti-intellectaulism. Yours truely, the talking snake!Very Happy

True enough. When I was younger, maybe 15 16, a Bible scholar priest talked about the Genesis, and told that us that it wasn't to be understood literally. He even argued, and I believe as well as other priests, that Evolution can be true but still not outside creation. Evolution after creation. He also emphasized that the book of Genesis is not a myth, but rather a symbolical story of what happened and is happening to the world. It doesn't really account for the literal creation of the world.
boagie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:39 am
@Patty phil,
Hi Patty!Smile

Well, it does not sound like your a literalist and I do not think most people have a problem with religion if it is not taken so. Yes I have come across the odd Christian whom can accept evolution with god placed at its begining. As far as Genesis not being a myth, I would expect that statement from a beleiver, but mythology is often defined as the other man's religion. For me there is no escaping the fact that the origin is a mystery, and at best god is a metaphor addressing that mystery. Otherwise I only have a problem with Christianity as a political entity.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:17 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Well, I certainly concur that we can't have good dialog if either side in the debate harbors hidden agendas or ascribes bad motives to the other.

On the other hand, I think many theists would challenge the idea that people are atheist by default. And any examination of that question could be very enlightening, I would think, regardless of whether you are a theist or atheist.

I'd go further and say theists do challenge, nay reject the notion that we are born atheists. The testimony of atheists who have never believed in God, who have never known a loss of faith, suggests otherwise. So this testimony is simply disbelieved and that disbelief rationalised. Yet another arena in which atheism and theism cannot really enter into meaningful dialogue.

Patty wrote:
True enough. When I was younger, maybe 15 16, a Bible scholar priest talked about the Genesis, and told that us that it wasn't to be understood literally. He even argued, and I believe as well as other priests, that Evolution can be true but still not outside creation. Evolution after creation. He also emphasized that the book of Genesis is not a myth, but rather a symbolical story of what happened and is happening to the world. It doesn't really account for the literal creation of the world.

Well, it did until we had reason to believe otherwise. As time passes and human knowledge expands, one has had to either reject what we judge sensibly or logically to be true or to demote elements of scripture to the status of metaphor. If the creation of the Earth and the origin of species are interpreted as being understood metaphorically in the Bible, where does one draw a line? The problem is especially relevant in politics when the church has a point of view on something. How can a text that must be understood metaphorically also serve as a black and white ethical system?
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
I think for a lot of people it is that kind of reactionism; to varying degrees. It might very well have been that way for me too; 15 or so years go.

In any case, as to your question, to me its immensely simple. You use the word "chosen"; for me it isn't a choice, not if I'm honest. The preponderance of evidence that I count as valid simply doesn't point me in that direction. We could inject numerous levels of "what ifs" here but what it boils down to is either you have a reason to adhere to this kind of notion or you don't.

I think it is possible that we believe exactly the same thing, and that the only real difference is that we have a different way of describing it or naming it. In other words, there is some concept or awareness that we share. I choose to call it God. You decline to call it God, possibly because the word God carries connotations that are repulsive to you. Possible?
0 Replies

Dichanthelium

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 02:41 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
Reasonable, but I have to disagree, with regard to theism = anti- intellectualism and atheism = intellectual position

... Religion is not against Intellectualism, it simply is not its domain. However, many theologians are great philosophers, like Thomas Aquinas. He is often times quoted only because of his 5 ways in proving God's existence. Anyone interested in a very systematic metaphysics should read his work.

Patty, actually, we are not in disagreement. I said, "... at least in our culture, theism, for many, has come to represent anti-intellectualism, while atheism can be seen by some as a more intellectual position."

What I am trying to emphasize is that common and popular expressions of Christianity have gone in anti-intellectual directions. If we go back to the earliest records of Jesus' teachings--words that are attributed to him--we find absolutely no evidence of a conflict between intellectualism and Christianity. The common conception of religious faith as "belief contrary to reason" or "belief unsupported by reason" is an utter heresy.

So here's the progression:
(1) People misrepresent the teachings of Jesus and yet claim to be Christians.
(2) The misrepresented version of Christianity becomes the popular and dominant version.
(3) Reasonable people examine the popular and dominant version of Christianity and conclude, "What a crock!"
(4) Self-righteous so-called "Christians" following the erroneous, popular, dominant mode condemn people who don't concur with them.
(5) Reasonable people decide that "Christians" are arrogant, uneducated, unreasoning people and that their "theism" is silly.
0 Replies