The Adult Atheist Thread

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 04:07 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
The slow evolutionary process must also have the evidence of intermediary species necessary to explain that all things evolve from a single life source.
Fossilisation is a relatively rare occurance given the manner in which a body needs to rest after death to become a fossil.

Whilst it would be lovely if a representative of every species that ever existed conveniently died on a muddy riverbank and was then covered in sediment which then went on to be pressed into rock under such anerobic conditions so as not to rot the body - it simply isn't reasonable to suggest that such a thing happened.

So to say that the slow evolutionary process must have had these transitional forms - yes you are right.

But to say it must show evidence of all of these forms - you are asking for the impossible.

What there is is a massive body of evidence to suggest a multitude of forms, many of them transisitory.

The most famous of these would be the feathered dinosaurs and the proto-bird Archaeopteryx.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Vog1h.jpg/180px-Vog1h.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png
1880 photo of the Berlin Archaeopteryx specimen.

Not only this but the fact that some birds show atavistic characteristics such as the Hoatzin with its arm-like wings:

Hoatzin - Relic of Prehistory - Article by Adrian Warren

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Hoatzin_chick.jpg/180px-Hoatzin_chick.jpg

Other transitions include the monotremes, who manifest all the characteristics of mammals apart from the fact that they lay eggs:

YouTube - Elusive Echidnas Now on Exhibit at the Zoo

Examples of other possible transitionary forms alive today are fish that live out of the water:

YouTube - Mudskipper of Borneo

Or fish with lungs:

YouTube - African lungfish

So the fossil record shows plenty of evidence of transitionary forms, and animals alive today provide further examples of transitionary states that might produce the same sort of changes in the future.

Quote:
Question: can we say that the apes that we have are bound to an evolutionary progress that these species will then eventually become humans?
No. Humanity is not considered to be the apex of evolutionary processes by most (I feel) credible evolutionary pundits. Even those who are of such a humano-centric opinion would surely point out that the chances of another species making exact changes to their DNA through a process of natural selection to exactly mirror another species are so minute as to be considered impossible.

What may happen is that if humans were removed from their ecological niche there would be room for another tool-making, bipedal, language using ape - and it would be our nearest evolutionary relatives who could take advantage of that.

However, other forms might exploit the niche just as well.

As an example - bats are theorised to have evolved from competing lines of shrews. When some bats reached New Zealand there were no shrews to compete with - and the bats actually began to change their behaviour and hunt like shrews. Over the years they have not lost the power of flight, but they use it less and less and are not as strong fliers as other species of bat.

Given a few millennia it might be the case that they turn into a shrew-like form (again).

However, if they did they would not just turn back to the common ancestor shrew of bats, rather a bat that had adapted to become like a shrew.
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:35 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
Yes. A muslim who I feel is undeniably intelligent, creative, happy to satirisie his own beliefs and culture.

The fact that the Ayatollah issued a fatwa against Rushdie doesn't change any of the above, don't you think?

Dave Allen,Smile

I quite agree there is at least one Muslim and probably more that would not present a problem for the west, but Islam in general is a problem. The party line is one of violence, disgree and die. The Koran is very explicit in its instructions to kill the infidel.
Patty phil

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:35 am
@boagie,
But at least, can we say that evolution is true and possible only for certain life forms, and thus is not a universal principle that can account for all the changes and diversity of species?
Icon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:43 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
But at least, can we say that evolution is true and possible only for certain life forms, and thus is not a universal principle that can account for all the changes and diversity of species?

It would seem to me that everything adapts to its environment in one way or another. Is evolution anything more than a long term adaptation?
0 Replies

boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:43 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:

Patty,Smile

No, the statement of evolutionary theory can I believe be taken as a generality, this is the way things evolve, there are no other means of adaptation but natural selection. No example of individual creations off in the corners or isolated development not orchestrated by the environment.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:47 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
No. What are your objections?

Go on, list 'em!
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:50 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Dave Allen,Smile

I quite agree there is at least one Muslim and probably more that would not present a problem for the west, but Islam in general is a problem. The party line is one of violence, disgree and die. The Koran is very explicit in its instructions to kill the infidel.
Vastly more muslims are killed by westerners than vice versa. I don't think Islam is a 'problem for the west' so much as the west has proved a problem for the inhabitants of the middle east. One might say that party line has been one of collonialisation, genocide, land clearances, stealing of resources, etc...

I do feel the Koran is belligerant in tone - just like the Torah and the Book of Revelations and the Baghavad Gita.

But - per capita - muslims seem no more eager to deal death than many other large amorphous groups of people I could mention.

'Westerners' for one. 'Westerners' kill more people over the world than muslims.
boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:11 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen,Smile

Perhaps you are right, perhaps I am a victum of a controlled media, I suspect the truth in what you say. Islam however does have totalitarian ambitions, but the inclination is there for any world religion, certainly Christianity has justified violence against the peoples of the world in its expansion during the colonial era. The mentality however of Islam, even within its own societies is believe or die, there are no disbelievers in most of these societies. Personally I believe Christianity would operate the same way given adequate opportunity, an unfortunate human trait expanded upon, the desire of the individual that the world should function and believe as he does-- your point is well taken Dave Allen!
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:24 am
@boagie,
I think some adherants to Islam are very aggressive - that's undeniable.

But Islamic societies such as Turkey show that even where muslims are in the (vast) majority - there is still respect for other faiths and apostasy is not necessarily punished.

I think the current radicalism amongst sections of the Islamic world is as a reponse to the last 100 years of history in the Middle East - as much a problem of political and national partizanship as it is a problem of religious identity.
boagie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:47 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen,Smile

Yes I believe I agree with you, my focus has been very limited on this.
When I think of how I have in a sense isolated the situtation, as if it could have deveoped that way in isolation, it does seem unrealistic on my part.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:59 am
@boagie,
Well I don't really blame you, and I DO think the Koran is rather shocking in parts.

But, if I was born a Palestinian, or forced to live there, I would probably be very angry about the hand I'd been dealt by life - and I would probably act accordingly.

And future generations of Iraqis won't be thanking anyone for having to live with a legacy of depleted uranium and the mutations and still births that it tends to cause in pregnant women living nearby.
0 Replies

LWSleeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;49492 wrote:
No. What are your objections?

Go on, list 'em!

1. How do you know randomness decided the genetic changes which contributed organ-building parts?

2. Even if mutation provided the right parts, how do you know selection for fitness alone will get so creative as to produce organs?

These two central features of Darwinistic evolution theory are merely assumed; there is absolutely NO conclusive evidence, nada, none that randomness and NS are capable of creative complex system building . . . it is assumed because it is how physicalisitc, usually religion-hating atheists, prematurely appropriate credit away from creationists for explaining creation.

What they usually do is a red-herring move to take the real issue off subject by making the debate between the concepts of life having slowly developed vs. near-instant creationism. Everyone who's studied the evidence with an open mind knows gradual development took place, but nobody actually knows what the forces were that drove the creative building of organ systems. Nonetheless, no evolutionist ever touches the mutation/NS question, and instead incessantly lists tons of evidence showing the substantial genetic and fossil evidence of gradual change.

The only thing ever "proved" in regard to the physicalism theory is that simple adaption of a trait of an already-created complex organ system can occur. A bigger bird beak can be selected, or a darker moth color, but it can't be shown (not even close) that selection/mutation created the beak or moth wings in the first place. It's all grand theory when it comes to mutation/NS, yet science is supposed to be observation, not pure theory. A heater with a thermostat can cause the heater to "adapt" to temperature changes, should we assume the thermostat created the heater?

Why is it improper to assume mutation/NS are the creative forces? As I said before, if the universe is conscious, where else would it have asserted its creative effort while it evolving life forms but at the genetic level? And because the issue of what created life is in truth actually still open, physicalistic theorists should stop pretending the issue is closed.
Bones-O

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:33 am
@boagie,
LWSleeth wrote:
1. How do you know randomness decided the genetic changes which contributed organ-building parts?

2. Even if mutation provided the right parts, how do you know selection for fitness alone will get so creative as to produce organs?

1. Complex self-replicating chemicals are prone to mistakes. Why make a special case of ones that contribute to organs?

2. Selection for fitness does not create organs. You have a huge misunderstanding of evolutionary theory here. If and when a mutation occurs, it will either make the organism less fit to survive, more fit to survive or make no difference to its fitness for survival. There is no third option - that's a complete set. If the mutation makes it less fit to survive, it is highly likely that the genome will not prosper. Why? Because we're talking thousands of individuals per generation over thousands of generations - statistical probability converges to certainty. Likewise a beneficial mutation is highly likely to allow the genome to prosper. Not always, but again statistically. (I might have a beneficially mutated son who dies in accident - the end of that particular gene.) If the mutation does nothing to increase fitness for survival, the gene in question will simply propagate as any other and no speciation would ever take place.
Bones-O

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:47 am
@boagie,
Addendum (couldn't resist)...

LWSleeth wrote:

These two central features of Darwinistic evolution theory are merely assumed; there is absolutely NO conclusive evidence, nada, none that randomness and NS are capable of creative complex system building . . . it is assumed because it is how physicalisitc, usually religion-hating atheists, prematurely appropriate credit away from creationists for explaining creation.

Atheists didn't credit you with explaining creation before Darwin's theory either, so there was nothing to 'appropriate'. You had your version, we had none. Now you have your version, we have the truth. ;o) But yes, all scientists are motivated by anti-religious sentiments. None have ever done anything because they were interested in it. My electron transport methods will hopefully initiate the complete collapse of the Roman Catholic church. And the Higgs boson will be kryponite to Protestants.

LWSleeth wrote:

It's all grand theory when it comes to mutation/NS, yet science is supposed to be observation, not pure theory.

Darwin's theory was based on observations. It also allowed him to make predictions that transpired to be true. Have you not seen Adaptation? (You should... it's really good.)

LWSleeth wrote:

Why is it improper to assume mutation/NS are the creative forces? As I said before, if the universe is conscious, where else would it have asserted its creative effort while it evolving life forms but at the genetic level? And because the issue of what created life is in truth actually still open, physicalistic theorists should stop pretending the issue is closed.

Yes, we will all stop pretending the issue is closed. Round about the time we have evidence that the universe is conscious. You will be our leader.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:28 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:

There are four terms in your questions that I think are possible causes for confusion. They are 'know', 'decide', 'random' and 'fit'.

'Decide' is misleading. No real decision was made. Random elements were non-randomly selected and the results stuck.

Philosophically I don't 'know' anything about anything really - let alone a process that occurred billions of years ago. I probably will use the word 'know' when talking about evolution as a convenient shortcut for 'the theories suggest something so well backed up from fossil evidence and organisms alive today that it satisfies me better than non-scientific theory and offers a far better explanation than any competing scientific theory'.

Changes do occur randomly, think of a mole on your skin. It is a dark spot - like the first eyes are theorised to be. Raised areas or dimples in your skin also occur randomly, such as those behind the first eyes that led them on the path to becoming compound or pinhole camera eyes. These are very simple random mutations.

However, the selection processes on an animal with these changes are not random beyond the environment it finds itself in. The organism with the light sensitive spot will be much better able to find energy than it's spotless competitors. More energy = more likely to breed. More offspring means more liklihood of inherited characteristics such as light sensative spots.

Mutation - random.
Natural Selection - non-random selection from populations of organsims, some of which will have random mutations making them more likely to be selected.

Finally fitness isn't necessarily anything to do with strength or health (though they often help). 'Fit for the task' is closer to the point - provided the task is 'reach sexual maturity and produce offspring who will then go on to reach sexual maturity and produce offspring'.

Given these terms the theory of how the eye developed from a simple spot to complex eyes is very explained - I suggest the wiki page on the subject as it is well illustrated and explained with handy references to animals alive today who have eyes from all stages of the proposed process.

Evolution of the eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
These two central features of Darwinistic evolution theory are merely assumed; there is absolutely NO conclusive evidence, nada, none that randomness and NS are capable of creative complex system building.
This claim is only credible because of your clever use of the word conclusive. There is no conclusive evidence for ... well ... anything really. You can't conclusively prove the existence of pluto, or that planes flew into the world trade centre on 9/11.

What there is is masses of evidence backing up a theory which predated but predicted discoveries such as those of genetics and DNA.

Quote:
. . it is assumed because it is how physicalisitc, usually religion-hating atheists, prematurely appropriate credit away from creationists for explaining creation.
There are loads of religious believers who accept evolution, it is not an atheist assertation by any means. It causes no controversy in pantheistic societies. It is only monotheistic beleivers in a creation story who tend to have problems with it.

I see three distinct responses to evolutionary theory:

1) Crediting a scientific explanation as to how the world works and therefore accepting evolution as the best current theory for how life evolved.
2) Crediting a religious explanation as to how the world works and seeing evolution as some sort of pattern left by God.
3) Perverting both religion and science by giving creedance to creationist science and it's charlatanry.

Quote:
What they usually do is a red-herring move to take the real issue off subject by making the debate between the concepts of life having slowly developed vs. near-instant creationism. Everyone who's studied the evidence with an open mind knows gradual development took place, but nobody actually knows what the forces were that drove the creative building of organ systems. Nonetheless, no evolutionist ever touches the mutation/NS question, and instead incessantly lists tons of evidence showing the substantial genetic and fossil evidence of gradual change.
Absolutely EVERY book I have read on the subject devotes very extensive and detailed study to mutation and natural selection. A number of YouTube clips, wiki articles and websites also investigate it - all you have to do is a bit of reading if you are genuinely curious about the matter.

Quote:
The only thing ever "proved" in regard to the physicalism theory is that simple adaption of a trait of an already-created complex organ system can occur. A bigger bird beak can be selected, or a darker moth color, but it can't be shown (not even close) that selection/mutation created the beak or moth wings in the first place. It's all grand theory when it comes to mutation/NS, yet science is supposed to be observation, not pure theory. A heater with a thermostat can cause the heater to "adapt" to temperature changes, should we assume the thermostat created the heater?
So are you saying that the theory of relativity is not science?

Or that theories about cosmology are not science?

I see opponents of evolution trot out this "it's only a theory" thing over and over again.

Science deals in theory all the time.

The theories that get accepted are the ones that have the most evidence to support them and that do not get trumped by better theories.

For example - at the time of Darwin a scientist called lamarck suggested that animals inherited traits due to their way of life - a giraffe spends all day trying to reach tall leaves, therefore it stretches it's neck, therefore it's neck gets longer and this is passed down to its children.

But there was a lot of evidence to show Lamarck's theory had problems (eg: chop off a giraffe's leg and it's children will still have four legs).

On the other hand all the main points raised by Darwin were actually reinforced by following discoveries:

1) Gregor Mendel's work on genetics shows us how inherited traits are passed on, and how some traits are recessive and others dominant.
2) The fossil record gets more comprehensive as time goes on, and abberations such as a mammal evolving before a reptile have not been found.
3) The discovery of DNA shows us how traits are carried on chemical molecules.

To say 'it's only a theory and therefore not scientific' is to fundamentally misunderstand both evolution AND science. Science deals in theory.

Quote:
I don't think it's improper to assume anything - but the only assumption to carry much scientific evidence with it is Darwin's.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:30 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;49518 wrote:
1. Complex self-replicating chemicals are prone to mistakes. Why make a special case of ones that contribute to organs?

How do you know the changes are "mistakes"? That is, how do you know what is behind the changes?

But if you are so sure physicalistic "mistakes" will result in perpetual system building, set up some chemicals and get them doing anything beyond turning repetitive after a few layers of change.

Bones-O!;49518 wrote:
2. Selection for fitness does not create organs. You have a huge misunderstanding of evolutionary theory here.

Okay, before we go any further I ask that you please stop the tactic of trying to undermine my credibility. I understood (and believed) evolutionary theory 40 years ago; I think it is BS now, but that is not because I don't understand it. Just make your points without trying the argument virtually every evo believer I've ever debated tries (and I've debated many dozens . . . BTW, I am not religious, so the only objections you'll hear from me are based on a priori assumptions evo believers make that circumvent the empirical process, as you do in the rest of this post).

Bones-O!;49518 wrote:
If and when a mutation occurs, it will either make the organism less fit to survive, more fit to survive or make no difference to its fitness for survival. There is no third option - that's a complete set. If the mutation makes it less fit to survive, it is highly likely that the genome will not prosper.

That's the theory alright . . . and the evidence you have that mutation occurred "randomly"? And the evidence you have that fitness alone is the only criteria for organ design?

Haven't you merely assumed these factors because you've accepted the theory a priori as true? Doesn't the empirical process demand a demonstration of your hypotheses that randomness can provide the sort of happy accidents that yield organ parts, and that selection for fitness will make use of those happy accidents to build creatively?

Regarding selection for fitness, if any trait is to survive, of course it must be fit enough. If you were designing a computer, doesn't every single design feature have to be fit enough to endure as a computer part? So because your choices all possess the quality of fitness, should we assume fitness is the only thing you are designing for when building a computer? Hell if fitness is all that matters, then it should be something tank-like, indestructible. Who needs all the sophisticated complexity?

Bones-O!;49518 wrote:
Why? Because we're talking thousands of individuals per generation over thousands of generations - statistical probability converges to certainty.

So? That could be true if an organism's genetics were being manipulated consciously too; say my hypothesized "creationary consciousness" wasn't all powerful or all knowing, but more like a general feature of the universe and so had to experiment.

You assume genetic change was random, but how can you possibly know they were random? Haven't you just assumed that fact because it supports the physicalist theory you already believe?

Bones-O!;49518 wrote:
Likewise a beneficial mutation is highly likely to allow the genome to prosper. Not always, but again statistically. (I might have a beneficially mutated son who dies in accident - the end of that particular gene.) If the mutation does nothing to increase fitness for survival, the gene in question will simply propagate as any other and no speciation would ever take place.

Theory, theory, theory. You have not provided one single bit of evidence (don't feel bad, no evolutionist I've debated ever does) that proves the gene changes that contributed parts for organs were "random," or that even if all the right parts were somehow correctly provided for building an organ (yes, over many generations), that selection for fitness alone would craft something so creative as an organ system.
Kolbe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:34 pm
@boagie,
All I see is how do you know? What if? This that and the other. I do apologise for disrupting this thrilling conversation, but in an abbreviation from Isaac Asimov's "Armies of the Night":
-Evolution: Only a theory.
-Theory: A hypothesis compiled on an evidential basis
-Creation: Only a myth.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 01:02 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;49531 wrote:
Absolutely EVERY book I have read on the subject devotes very extensive and detailed study to mutation and natural selection. A number of YouTube clips, wiki articles and websites also investigate it - all you have to do is a bit of reading if you are genuinely curious about the matter.

You have made so many improper points it will take me hours to address them (e.g., because we know randomness occurs we should infer random change can be counted on to be constructive?), so I am just going to answer two right now (I am busy today), the one above and the one below.

As I said to Bones-O, please do not start the "you need to study" stuff. I have been reading evolution for 40 years, I believed in the Darwinistic version for a long time myself. Every objection you will hear from me is pointing to improper science or improper inference from the facts.

I DO NOT dispute evolution happened, I DO dispute there is the slightest bit of proper evidence that randomness and selection for fitness has been shown to be behind organ creation. Yet there you are in your quote stating clearly there really is "very extensive and detailed study to mutation and natural selection."

What a self-deception! Show me all this evidence that gives one iota of support to, for example, that mutation was random; I read incessantly and I can't find a single bit.

Dave Allen;49531 wrote:
So are you saying that the theory of relativity is not science? Or that theories about cosmology are not science?

I see opponents of evolution trot out this "it's only a theory" thing over and over again.

Ahhhh, and here we go with the strawman tactic. I love science, so don't start this baloney please. Relativity has confirming evidence, cosmology (like the BB theory) has the expansion of the universe to support it as evidence.

And also, don't start acting like I am saying life didn't evolve gradually over time, likely from a common ancestor. I accept that life developed over time and common descent.

The ONLY thing I am pointing to is that neither you, nor any other evo "believer" has bothered to demonstrate how we can know randomness decided genetic changes that built organs OR that selection for fitness would construct organs even if the right parts were provided for organ building.

What should we call it but a mere theory when you can't, and won't even try to, provide evidence for the very "engine" the theory claims evolved life? I say it is an atheists' win-the-debate tactic (not science) because the creativity of life is right where people focus who doubt physicalism, and so that is exactly where you find physicalists claiming it's a "fact" that you don't need conscious manipulation to get creative life-building . . . after all, we've got randomness and fitness selection to fill in for God!

And that's why you have atheist, religion-hater Dawkins telling the world, "Evolution is a fact in the same sense that it's a fact that the Earth is round and not flat, [that] the Earth goes round the Sun." What a load of BS . . . it is only a "fact" that life gradually evolved over time, it is not a "fact" that mutation/NS did it.
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 01:09 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe;49534 wrote:
All I see is how do you know? What if? This that and the other. I do apologise for disrupting this thrilling conversation, but in an abbreviation from Isaac Asimov's "Armies of the Night":
-Evolution: Only a theory.
-Theory: A hypothesis compiled on an evidential basis
-Creation: Only a myth.

You meant, I assume, that Biblical creationism is only myth. If so, I agree. Do you think I am a creationism apologist? I am a science lover who is distressed over those using science to push their atheistic agenda.

I don't give a rat's behind what created things, I just don't see the evidence that physicalism has what it takes to get creative, whether that's at the abiogenesis stage, or later at the cellular stage.

Yet here we have all the atheists acting like mutation/NS can be taken for granted without the slightest attempt at a demonstration of those core evo principles, and they not only act like E-theory is actually a "fact," but that anyone challenging the quality of the science behind the claim is either uneducated or a creationist.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 01:12 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
How do you know the changes are "mistakes"? That is, how do you know what is behind the changes?

By observation and analysis. They are not 'mistakes' in the typical sense: self-replicating chemicals have no actual teleology; they can't help but copy themselves wherever possible. However, no copy is ever identical to the original in observation. And, further, the self-replication follows deterministic processes; if it didn't, there'd be some very intriguing papers on it.

LWSleeth wrote:

But if you are so sure physicalistic "mistakes" will result in perpetual system building, set up some chemicals and get them doing anything beyond turning repetitive after a few layers of change.

They are neither necessary nor sufficient for system-building. They are necessary for changes in system-building.

LWSleeth wrote:

Okay, before we go any further I ask that you please stop the tactic of trying to undermine my credibility. I understood (and believed) evolutionary theory 40 years ago; I think it is BS now, but that is not because I don't understand it. Just make your points without trying the argument virtually every evo believer I've ever debated tries (and I've debated many dozens . . . BTW, I am not religious, so the only objections you'll hear from me are based on a priori assumptions evo believers make that circumvent the empirical process, as you do in the rest of this post).

I wasn't trying to undermine your credibility. Not with that sentence anyhoo. I was pointing out that you don't understand the very thing you're trying to discredit. It is not the reason for your objections I was addressing; it was the content of them: they demonstrate no knowledge of evolutionary theory. All I'm suggesting is: know your enemy. Read into the subject. Then you can argue against it intelligently.

LWSleeth wrote:

That's the theory alright . . . and the evidence you have that mutation occurred "randomly"? And the evidence you have that fitness alone is the only criteria for organ design?

I've addressed the first point above, I dismissed the second in my previous post to you.

LWSleeth wrote:

Haven't you merely assumed these factors because you've accepted the theory a priori as true? Doesn't the empirical process demand a demonstration of your hypotheses that randomness can provide the sort of happy accidents that yield organ parts, and that selection for fitness will make use of those happy accidents to build creatively?

Again, the insistance that 'natural selection builds'. This is where your lack of knowledge of evolutionary theory holds up a neon sign and screams its head off. And I've already treated this point.

LWSleeth wrote:

Regarding selection for fitness, if any trait is to survive, of course it must be fit enough. If you were designing a computer, doesn't every single design feature have to be fit enough to endure as a computer part? So because your choices all possess the quality of fitness, should we assume fitness is the only thing you are designing for when building a computer? Hell if fitness is all that matters, then it should be something tank-like, indestructible. Who needs all the sophisticated complexity?

See my point to Alan above.

LWSleeth wrote:

So? That could be true if an organism's genetics were being manipulated consciously too; say my hypothesized "creationary consciousness" wasn't all powerful or all knowing, but more like a general feature of the universe and so had to experiment.
sophisticated complexity?

But it renders the guiding conscience utterly redundant. Then it comes down to faith vs observation.

LWSleeth wrote:

You assume genetic change was random, but how can you possibly know they were random? Haven't you just assumed that fact because it supports the physicalist theory you already believe?

You ask the same question a lot.

LWSleeth wrote:

Theory, theory, theory. You have not provided one single bit of evidence (don't feel bad, no evolutionist I've debated ever does) that proves the gene changes that contributed parts for organs were "random," or that even if all the right parts were somehow correctly provided for building an organ (yes, over many generations), that selection for fitness alone would craft something so creative as an organ system.

And again. I can hardly provide evidence for something that isn't right. If you want to show you can dismiss evolution, you need to do so on the basis of the evidence that actually pertains to it. The evidence supporting evolution is not "evidence that proves the gene changes that contributed parts for organs were "random," or that even if all the right parts were somehow correctly provided for building an organ, selection for fitness alone would craft something so creative as an organ system" since this is not what evolution claims.

If gene mutation were guided, why does it appear random? This isn't something that's gone unstudied. If you ever read around the subject, you'd discover the the nature (i.e. kinds) of genetic mutations are well understood. I don't believe 'random' is the right word anyway. It's deterministic, if unpredictable (complexity rather than indeterminism). In all these studies, genetic mutations are found to obey a statistical distribution. Why would some higher power obey a statistical distribution? If there's a purpose, there should be no correlation. If there is correlation, there is no need for a purpose. If the higher power only mutates genes with purpose when it wants, why the other observed mutations? And if these ones are non-divine in nature, why do we need a guiding conscience? And why limit mutation to the observed kinds? And why, if these 'random' mutations are not responsible for different characteristics, do they correlate so well with DNA differences in organisms that do pertain to them?

Can I ask, are you holding onto the 'natural selection builds organs' argument just so you can attack it? That's called a straw-man argument.
0 Replies