The Adult Atheist Thread

Kolbe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:59 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
[left]like Thomas Aquinas. He is often times quoted only because of his 5 ways in proving God's existence. Anyone interested in a very systematic metaphysics should read his work.

Sorry, just thought I'd chip in to this bit. It's best to find an article or piece that summarises Aquinas' work instead of tracking down the original. The fellow chooses to right in the form of a prayer, which doesn't make for a very enjoyable read. Still, carry on.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:00 pm
@Kolbe,
Patty wrote:
True enough. When I was younger, maybe 15 16, a Bible scholar priest talked about the Genesis, and told that us that it wasn't to be understood literally. He even argued, and I believe as well as other priests, that Evolution can be true but still not outside creation. Evolution after creation. He also emphasized that the book of Genesis is not a myth, but rather a symbolical story of what happened and is happening to the world. It doesn't really account for the literal creation of the world.

That priest was mostly right: the story should not be read literally, and the Genesis story should in no way be taken as a contradiction of science, namely evolutionary science.

However, his argument about Genesis not being a myth is interesting. Isn't a myth, by at least one of it's meanings, "a symbolical story of what happened and is happening to the world".

Myth is sometimes used to mean 'a belief or story that is not true'. But this is not the only use, and this definition is also more modern than the others. The older English definition is something like 'a traditional story which explains or justifies a spiritual practice'.

Genesis is most certainly a myth: one of the most widely read myths in the world.
Patty phil

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
That priest was mostly right: the story should not be read literally, and the Genesis story should in no way be taken as a contradiction of science, namely evolutionary science.

However, his argument about Genesis not being a myth is interesting. Isn't a myth, by at least one of it's meanings, "a symbolical story of what happened and is happening to the world".

Myth is sometimes used to mean 'a belief or story that is not true'. But this is not the only use, and this definition is also more modern than the others. The older English definition is something like 'a traditional story which explains or justifies a spiritual practice'.

Genesis is most certainly a myth: one of the most widely read myths in the world.

I believe the Genesis is not a myth in a sense that it is void of any valuable meaning and truth. Whereas a myth is a story that explains phenomena without being necessarily true.

As I've mentioned before in my previous posts, the bible's primary object is not the explanation of phenomena, but rather the proper conduct. Borrowing from Kant, Religion = moral law within , science = starry heavens above. These two things can trouble a man, but not in the same way. Now going back to the scriptures, even in the new testament, the apostles asked Jesus why he spoke in parables. To the foolish, it would simply sound literal, but to the wise it is not. Now going back to the story of Genesis, I would rather see it in a "parable" way. Since I believe that the Bible is about morality, I find that the heart of the Genesis is man's fall because of the tree of knowledge, which I personally believe is man's in intellectual vanity and exhault himself to much with the level of God. In my opinion, disbelief in creation will be the result of man's pride because of his intellectual pride thinking of himself as the creator of his own universe. I don't see the Genesis as a literal interpretation because of this. I also believe that man cannot comprehend the whole creation process itself. The Genesis is a guide for morality and humility.
The book of Solomon in a way spoke of men who enjoyed the works so much but because of vanity forgot to appreciate the artisan. I can see an Aristotelian sense here of efficient,material,formal, final cause.

I enjoy finding the truth as anyone here. Moral law for me is transcendental and absolute. I'm just bothered by people who ultimately explain all things through science.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:11 pm
@Patty phil,
That's the thing, though: myth does not necessarily mean devoid of valuable meaning or truth. In most cases, it means quite the opposite: a story that explains without being literally true.

A parable might also be a myth: for example, Jesus' story about about the good Samaritan.

Genesis would not typically be called a parable due to the length and complexity of the narrative. Other than that, I see where you are coming from.
0 Replies

Patty phil

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:14 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
Sorry, just thought I'd chip in to this bit. It's best to find an article or piece that summarises Aquinas' work instead of tracking down the original. The fellow chooses to right in the form of a prayer, which doesn't make for a very enjoyable read. Still, carry on.

I'm sorry, but maybe you are suggesting Augustine. In case you are so sure its Aquinas, well, I have lectures of his Metaphysics, Theodicy, and cosmology.
Icon

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
I'm sorry, but maybe you are suggesting Augustine. In case you are so sure its Aquinas, well, I have lectures of his Metaphysics, Theodicy, and cosmology.

Aquinas has many writings in the form of prayers... this collection is actually called the Prayers of Saint Thomas Aquinas. The difference being his essays versus his aphorisms.

Aphorisms are written mostly in prayer format.
Kolbe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 04:10 pm
@Icon,
I am indeed mistaken, it was Anselm that was the intended target. My apologies, the two have similar names in my mind, and the two articles are right next to each other in the textbook. It's probably wrong to generalise such a thing and, once again, sorry. Aquinas' writings in the Summa Theoligica are seemingly some of the more coherent of the writings from that time, though those prayers may have to be looked into now.
Patty phil

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:45 pm
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
I am indeed mistaken, it was Anselm that was the intended target. My apologies, the two have similar names in my mind, and the two articles are right next to each other in the textbook. It's probably wrong to generalise such a thing and, once again, sorry. Aquinas' writings in the Summa Theoligica are seemingly some of the more coherent of the writings from that time, though those prayers may have to be looked into now.

Its ok. If you can read Aquinas' metaphysics, you'll know its hard for anyone to not appreciate it.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:10 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty;50131 wrote:
I'm just bothered by people who ultimately explain all things through science.
To each their own. We all interface with the world differently. If we didn't, there'd be no reason for a philosophy forum.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:44 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
Moral law for me is transcendental and absolute. I'm just bothered by people who ultimately explain all things through science.

That first statement might have much to do with the second. If you take a stance 'X is absolute', you'll never be satisfied with any point of view that tends to contradict that view. This is not an issue of the limitations of science; this is a limitation of your philosophy: you have already decided you know, without proof or perhaps even evidence, some fundamental truth. Where can you go from there but to protest against those who are more sceptical? I'm not surprised such people bother you; they bother everyone who claims to know without reason some absolute truth - that's why there's so many threads on this forum by annoyed theists reasserting their absolutes.
Patty phil

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:27 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
That first statement might have much to do with the second. If you take a stance 'X is absolute', you'll never be satisfied with any point of view that tends to contradict that view. This is not an issue of the limitations of science; this is a limitation of your philosophy: you have already decided you know, without proof or perhaps even evidence, some fundamental truth. Where can you go from there but to protest against those who are more sceptical? I'm not surprised such people bother you; they bother everyone who claims to know without reason some absolute truth - that's why there's so many threads on this forum by annoyed theists reasserting their absolutes.

How come it isn't not a limitation of science? Science is for the observable. I understand and respect that science is the tool for exploring the natural world and the observable. But then a human being isn't ultimately and solely grounded by scientific precepts. What I'm trying to say that we are not only animals that run the course of nature ONLY through instincts, there also moral issues that are not to be understood purely in a mechanistic way. God or no-God is not the issue. I'm not even saying science is inadequate, it's just not its domain.
Aedes

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:37 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty;50488 wrote:
What I'm trying to say that we are not only animals that run the course of nature ONLY through instincts, there also moral issues that are not to be understood purely in a mechanistic way.
It's a misunderstanding of science that it makes allowances for things only at a mechanistic level.

Moral decisionmaking may have biological mechanisms at its core, but that's incidental to one's consideration of a moral choice. And nothing about that is antagonistic to a purely scientific worldview.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:51 am
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
How come it isn't not a limitation of science? Science is for the observable. I understand and respect that science is the tool for exploring the natural world and the observable. But then a human being isn't ultimately and solely grounded by scientific precepts. What I'm trying to say that we are not only animals that run the course of nature ONLY through instincts, there also moral issues that are not to be understood purely in a mechanistic way. God or no-God is not the issue. I'm not even saying science is inadequate, it's just not its domain.

Please re-read my post. I was very careful not to say what you think I said. Smile
It is not an issue of the limitation of science. You hold an unproven, unsubstantiated 'truth', one that science (or indeed any person or school of thought that would regard such 'truths' with suspicion) may come into conflict with. Irrespective of the limitations of science, you have hit a philosophical brick wall insofar as you hold this truth regardless, thus science, logic, mathematics, reason, evidence... anything that might ever suggest against or proceed in ignorance of absolute moral law is naturally going to be an issue for you. I was just pointing out the link between your two statements. It makes little sense to start from the assumption that moral law is absolute and critically judge those who don't on that basis, that's all.
0 Replies