The Nature Of Compassion

CMJL

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
@xris,
Compassion for the stranger new? Hmmm? Nice point. I have to say I haven't thought of this as specifically new. I have always felt that compassion is innate. I see compassion as old as time.

So can you please clarify for me. Do you believe that the compassion for a stranger is an 'evolutionary' expression of the 'older, timeless' compassion and a recent development? Or do you think that compassion itself is new? That it was not present throughout human history, but only recently present? Or do you believe that the compassion for a stranger is a separate development from the tribal expressions of the past? I am not sure of your position here.
xris

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:40 pm
@CMJL,
CMJL;80773 wrote:
Compassion for the stranger new? Hmmm? Nice point. I have to say I haven't thought of this as specifically new. I have always felt that compassion is innate. I see compassion as old as time.

So can you please clarify for me. Do you believe that the compassion for a stranger is an 'evolutionary' expression of the 'older, timeless' compassion and a recent development? Or do you think that compassion itself is new? That it was not present throughout human history, but only recently present? Or do you believe that the compassion for a stranger is a separate development from the tribal expressions of the past? I am not sure of your position here.
If you examine history, it is a novel expression, mercy is not given to strangers or the enemy.If you see it ,it is usually preserved for family or tribe.It is only ever expresed as a very high ideal,it takes consideration from us, as we have accepted it as nothing new, but if fact it is.Take time to ponder and find historic evidence of its expression, if you find evidence, i will accept my error.
0 Replies

CMJL

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:43 pm
@boagie,
thinking of this one. Thanks xris.
0 Replies