Bush signs as Judge unsigns

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:16 pm
LINCOLN, Neb. - A federal judge said Wednesday he likely would issue an injunction blocking implementation of a federal ban on certain late-term abortions, which President Bush planned to sign into law later in the day.
"It seems to me the law is highly suspect, if not a per se violation of the Constitution," Kopf said. He said the law appears to have a "serious vagueness problem," and that the congressional record of debate on the bill did not reflect an objective presentation of facts.

The judge also said he was concerned that the ban makes no exception for doctors to consider the mother's health. It fails to include any exception where a doctor could perform such a procedure to preserve the health of the mother.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 617 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 01:39 pm
If I knew his address, I would send that judge a dozen roses. I am glad that there is a voice of reason out in the wilderness. I am very glad that there are some people in power who who still remember that the Constitution is the law of the land. Bravo! Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 02:18 pm
Good for da judge!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:09 pm
Let's hope there will be more people of power in this judge's camp when he needs them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:34 pm
I hope the unbanning sticks.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 12:08 am
Congress passed a bill banning late term abortions a couple of years ago, and the Supreme Court shot it down.

Presumably, Congress feels this new bill is worded to overcome the Supreme Court's objections to the first bill.

This new judge apparently feels that Congress is mistaken in that opinion, so he shot down this new bill.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 01:30 pm
Bush signs
Three - no, make that three hundred - cheers for that judge!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:05 pm
Bush
And now another Federal judge, in New York, has added his opinion regarding Bush's ban to that of the judge in Nebraska. May there be many more!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:07 pm
This picture makes me sick. Seven well-fed white men smile and laugh as they take control of your uterus:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20031106/capt.sge.bxn32.061103133014.photo00.default-384x272.jpg

And to my outrage, I have discovered that Yahoo! has, shockingly, air-brushed the above photo.

Here is the real screen-capture:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/atrios/bush_signs_abortion.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:13 pm
Pdiddie, you beat me to the punch by posting that photo. That was exactly my thought when I saw the signing on the TV news last night.

I know that there are women involved in the anti-abortion movement, but isn't it curious how front-and-center men nearly always are?
0 Replies