Chile quake may have shifted Earth's axis

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:08 pm
SPACE.com Space.com Staff

space.com - Tue Mar 2, 10:00 am ET

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth - Yahoo! News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:20 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135135 wrote:
SPACE.com Space.com Staff

space.com - Tue Mar 2, 10:00 am ET

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth - Yahoo! News

I bet these quakes and this very tiny almost insignificant shift has got all the 2012 nuts jumping up and down. The thing that saddens me the most next to all the devastation and loss of life from these events is all the wackos that come out of the wood work to spread their crazy dooms day scenarios.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:39 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;135142 wrote:
I bet these quakes and this very tiny almost insignificant shift has got all the 2012 nuts jumping up and down. The thing that saddens me the most next to all the devastation and loss of life from these events is all the wackos that come out of the wood work to spread their crazy dooms day scenarios.

:bigsmile: I can see a nice scenario ! San Andreas returns to Formosa and uniteds the con-tignents. A new Atlantisc in the Pacific.:poke-eye:
0 Replies

jack phil

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:03 pm
@Pythagorean,
So, I wonder if my boss will lower my pay, since he gets less out of me every day.
0 Replies