CERN Develops Possible Internet Replacement, Unfathomably Faster

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:20 pm
CERN, The European Organization for Nuclear Research, has been working on an Internet replacement called The Grid that's 10,000 times faster than broadband. At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, "the grid" will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The power of the grid will become apparent this summer after what scientists at Cern have termed their "red button" day-the switching-on of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the new particle accelerator built to probe the origin of the universe. The grid will be activated at the same time to capture the data it generates.
Read Full Story at External Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 7
No top replies

de budding

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:18 am
@Pythagorean,
A new particle accelerator! Maybe now they can find a graviton escaping on collision.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:57 pm
@Pythagorean,
Won't data transfer still be limited at the level of the computer - net (or grid) connection and the speed of the servers and computers? Changing the infrastructure of the 'grid' will not add speed except for those with the computing power to accomodate it.
Vasska

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Won't data transfer still be limited at the level of the computer - net (or grid) connection and the speed of the servers and computers? Changing the infrastructure of the 'grid' will not add speed except for those with the computing power to accommodate it.

Indeed it does, the internet cables that run through the sea have immense throughput and are often optical (Fiber optic cables) which means it are only light pulses indicating a 1 or 0. The immense throughput is being handled at both sides by immense data centers (Even for a small country like the Netherlands we've got 2 of them!). Then the bandwidth is distributed over the whole country (or parts of it), which then is again distributed over regions and finally the cable goes to your local distribution points in your neighborhood, then the small amount of bandwidth left over is shared over your whole neighborhood, and maybe if you have multiple computers even redistributed within your house.

As you see the signal weakens incredibly, it still is enough to get a download and upload speed around 10MB a second with the most expensive contracts (the speed you are allowed to use has been put into your modem you received from your ISP) but it's far less than the thousands of gigabytes going trough "back bones" of the internet.

This new technology is great but the problem is costs; we can replace the cables (note that fiber optical cables can cost from $500 million to $2 billion) in the sea by this new technology but it will only increase the throughput from point A to B while we need to get to point F, with C (state), D (region), E (neighborhood) and finally F (your home). For this new technology to work we will need to change all or old hardware with new hardware, which will be economically impossible.

The internet is extremely important, and if the internet (globally) fails the world economic market will crash within a day. The internet was never designed to be a mass used network sharing video's and other things; it was purely for simple military use which only consisted of information being exchanged in pure text form.

I (and many others) believe the internet will fail within several years (I within 4 to 10 years) because it is running out of IP (unique ID's) addresses so it allows for new nodes (computers) to be connected, we solved this by giving private addresses and some mathematical tricks to use every IP possible. We have IPv6 (which introduced numbers; instead of having an ip of 192.168.0.1 you have ujy8:72jj:72hj:829j) but it is far from being implemented on a worldwide scale to solve or need for addresses.

Another problem is that we are running out of bandwidth; more and more people use the internet and download (whether legal or illegal a download of 600Mb stays a download of 600Mb) and our "back bones" need to be expanded rapidly to accommodate the need for bandwidth otherwise the cables will become overloaded and will fail.

The problem we face is that changing the internet's backbone is practically impossible since it allows for no downtime, and also the need for changing everything worldwide. The cost for this are enormous let's say a thousand times the American National Debt to come close to the amount of money needed to be invested.
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:34 pm
@Pythagorean,
Now if we can change our bus speeds on our motherboards to use fibre optics instead of metals, we can keep up.
I foresee the conspirators coming up with theories on this one...pacemakers that can be turned off from remote locations, prosthetic legs and arms being remote controlled, surgical implants causing everyone in Utah to uprise and take over America...it'll be fun and games until someone with a cybernetic eye shoots lasers at Wall St.
Vasska

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 01:58 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
Now if we can change our bus speeds on our motherboards to use fibre optics instead of metals, we can keep up.
I foresee the conspirators coming up with theories on this one...pacemakers that can be turned off from remote locations, prosthetic legs and arms being remote controlled, surgical implants causing everyone in Utah to uprise and take over America...it'll be fun and games until someone with a cybernetic eye shoots lasers at Wall St.

There is nothing wrong with our motherboards, it's the connection to external components. For household use we don't need the highest speeds possible, however we do need it for data centers and other high capacity industrial computers. Upgrading your NIC (Network Interface Card) to a high class product can sometimes be enough.

About your conspiracy theory; I do not always agree with you, but I respected your answers and ideas, however this is talking trash.

Pacemakers can be turned off remotely but it is so hard to do when your target is always on the move. They started to encrypt pacemaker signals so it's gonna even be harder to do, also no internet connection.

Prosthetic arms and legs only communicate with your body or an embedded computer on your body; it does not connect to the internet as far as i know, making it hard to "crack" these things.

Chips implemented into brains to cause a uprising are impossible with our current technology; we are getting there but it will take helluva lot time to unravel the entire brain and brainwash people with chips, the only way we are able to brainwash people is by feeding them false information and other tricks like hypnoses and drugs. And laser eye's come on... we still got to be able to see with our eyes. Maybe you've watched to much science fiction lately?
0 Replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:36 pm
@Aristoddler,
I think you missed this part:
Aristoddler wrote:
...I foresee the conspirators coming up with theories on this one...

e.g... Proof: Elvis is Alive!! - Elvis Presley, the man, the myth, the legend, the king of rock-n-roll, IS ALIVE and working as an undercover agent for the DEA AboveTopSecret.com Archive: "Area 51 Installation" JFK MURDER SOLVED

You also missed:
Aristoddler wrote:
...until someone with a cybernetic eye shoots lasers at Wall St.
Because we all know that eyes can't shoot lasers, when there's only enough space in them for the x-ray vision.
Here's "PROOF!": A Girl with an X-ray vision - Pravda.Ru

:eek: Wink
Vasska

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 02:18 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler wrote:
I think you missed this part:
e.g... Proof: Elvis is Alive!! - Elvis Presley, the man, the myth, the legend, the king of rock-n-roll, IS ALIVE and working as an undercover agent for the DEA AboveTopSecret.com Archive: "Area 51 Installation" JFK MURDER SOLVED

You also missed: Because we all know that eyes can't shoot lasers, when there's only enough space in them for the x-ray vision.
Here's "PROOF!": A Girl with an X-ray vision - Pravda.Ru

:eek: Wink

I somehow misinterpreted that part =) My Bad.
0 Replies