Radiation Storm Underway...

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 08:39 pm
[CENTER]http://www.imageuploads.info/uploads/6e19a3c089.jpg[/CENTER]

RADIATION STORM: A radiation storm is underway. Based on the energy and number of solar protons streaming past Earth, NOAA ranks the storm as category s3: satellites may experience single-event upsets and astronauts should practice "radiation avoidance."
The rush of protons may be a sign of an approaching CME (coronal mass ejection). Protons are accelerated in shock waves at the leading-edge of CMEs, so when the proton count rises, we can guess that a CME is en route. Northern sky watchers should remain alert for auroras, which could flare up if and when a CME arrives.

Source: Spaceweather.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cant sit still

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 11:20 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean, have you, by chance, read the book "Solar Rain" It goes to great lengths to show that the sun is responsible for our weather. NASA is starting to back up all this work. The new thing is space weather. The CME's are really beating up our magnetosphere.

There is a researcher, Jennifer lawson who has made a case for solar weather influences for years. As most of you know, Terra is due for an alignment with the galactic plane in 2012. This is expected to cause small perturbances in Sol. Small, that is on a galactic scale. We're slowly moving into that alignment.

I wrote to Jennifer and she said that the weather will really kick in violent after 2010. She also said that the violent episodes of weather will increase for years. She's left research and is writing her autobiography.

The CME's are essentially a big particle bombardment. Our power grid acts like a big antenna. A CME knocked out the grid in Quebec. Reportedly a huge bank of capacitors in the Allegeney mountains saved us.

They just had winds of 129 mph in Bay City Oregon. According to the author of "solar rain" , a strong CME will drive the magnetosphere down closer to Terra. This, in turn drives the jet stream down closer to ground level.

Obviously, global warming is here to stay. Also obvious is the fact that we have been [generally] warming since the peak of the last ice age. There is definitely going to be hell to pay. Among other problems, the Ganges and the Indus are expected to become seasonal rivers by 2030.
I expect solar weather to be in the headlines quite often.
Dan
Pythagorean

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:57 am
@cant sit still,
Dan, it is a fascinating topic. I posted that report just in case parts of the internet were to be affected by the latest coronal mass ejection.

I've never heard of the book "Solar Rain" but if I get a chance I will look it up. I did think that the sun is responsible for weather patterns on earth. Dan, you seem to know a great deal about this topic, certainly more than I. I've never even witnessed the Northern Lights as yet. But you explain things nicely and I appreciate it.

It's always good to stay up to date on such matters, I usually check the science section of the daily wires. As we inexorably move further and deeper into the 'space age' with greater dependence upon high tech satellites, space tourism etc., we definitely need to "keep looking up"!Smile
0 Replies

cant sit still

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:41 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorus, if the work of Mitch Battros and the research of NASA porve to be correct, we'll be reading about solar weather on the front page.

Western man seens to believe that he has wrestled mother nature down to the ground and throttled her. He is now independent of nature. He can abuse her at will.
Mother nature hates a monoculture. She gives us things like wheat blight, potato rot, and hantavirus. Mother nature loves diversity. Man has tried to make all of the earth his biological niche.

The world generally has 110 days of food supply on hand. It's currently down to 45 days. Many food producing areas are in drought including Russia, Ukraine, Australia and 2 provinces of China. Then there are many other areas that have flooded including GB, Bangladesh, Texas, Illinois, et al.
It doesn't matter if it's drought or flood, the crops are destroyed. As if that's not bad enough, many areas have legislated water to go to the cities rather than the farms, Australia, Arizona and California to name a few.

If you read Kunstler, "The Long Emergency" he lays out the idea that we're at a confluence of many problems.
Western man is too consumed by greed and hedonism. http://www.hedweb.com/

He isn't prepared for catastrophe.
It is said that character is formed in the stormy billows of the world. The peace and prosperity of the west hasn't done much to produce stalwart characters of unflinching courage.
The hunter-gatherers will inhierit the earth. Very Happy
0 Replies