Man Trampled to Death on Black Friday

Justin

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:44 pm
I find this absolutely pitiful that this is how we act during a sale. OMG. If you pray, please say a prayer for the family of this gentleman and for those who murdered him. This is just not right!
YouTube - Wal-Mart Worker Killed During 5am Store Opening Stampede
Quote:
(CBS/AP) A worker died after being trampled by a throng of unruly shoppers when a suburban Wal-Mart opened for the holiday sales rush Friday, authorities said.

At least three other people were injured.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., in Bentonville, Ark., would not confirm the reports of a stampede but said a "medical emergency" had caused the company to close the store, which is in Valley Stream on Long Island.

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., an hour after the store opened. The cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after 5 a.m., a throng of shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground." Police also said a 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation and three other shoppers suffered minor injuries and were also taken to hospitals.

The exact cause of death will be determined by the Medical Examiner's office, detectives said.

The dead worker's name was not released.

"Local authorities are looking into the situation," said Wal-Mart representative Dan Fogleman. But he said it would be "inappropriate for me to share any additional information" until authorities investigate further. - The Link

YouTube - Black friday stampede
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 793 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Pangloss

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:34 am
@Justin,
Wow. This is truly pathetic; a sad indication of the screwed-up priorities of our modern day society, where shopping for more unnecessary junk takes precedence over basic respect/care for others. Even more pathetic, it does not in the least surprise or shock me, and it is probably something "to be expected" in the eyes of many Americans. We are so used to this culture of unrestrained greed for the material goods that we continue to tolerate and accept this behavior when it occurs.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:04 am
@Justin,
It is quite disturbing behaviour. I would find the follow up interviews with the people who did the trampling of interest, why? what are these people thinking of their actions and why were they not thinking to begin with. If anyone can link any such interviews I would be thankful
0 Replies