Biden and Palin Debate

Justin

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:08 pm
For all you that have seen this very important debate, what were your opinions and comments on this. I'll update this thread with the actual debate in video when it comes out.

[CENTER]Same Sex Marriage
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Palin and Biden on Same-Sex Marriage

[CENTER]Biden - No Different than President Bush
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Biden: McCain is No Different than President Bush

[CENTER]Palin on Nukes
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Palin On Nukes: Be All, End All

[CENTER]Palin - Economy a Toxic Mess
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Palin: Economy's A Toxic Mess on Main St. Affecting Wall St

[CENTER]Biden Chokes in Family History
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Biden Chokes Up Recalling His Family's History

[CENTER]Palin - Biden Supported McCain on War
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Palin: Biden Supported McCain on War "Adamantly" Until Race

[CENTER]Palin - Name of Top U.S. Commander wrong
[/CENTER]
YouTube - Palin Gets Name of Top U.S. Commander in Afghanistan Wrong
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:10 pm
@Justin,
Oh I can't comment. I was watching the English Language Canadian Leaders Debate showing at the same time!!!!
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:58 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I keep thinking that Palin sounds like a misinformed voter middle class voter. She sounds like a historical newscaster that was brought up expecting hard hitting news from the world new staffs of the major TV networks. If no one had heard the news for the last 5 or so years and had to give a news cast they would probably sound like Palin when it comes to foreign policy. Even Bush gave up that whole "they hate us for our freedom" a while back but as soon as they hit foreign policy that is what she went on about. What she, like many Americans don't realize, they hate us for not exercising our freedom. True free people do not allow their leaders to do what the leaders of the US have been doing for the last 30 years. True free people also correct mistakes as lessons are learned. Seriously, when we begin to try to elect leaders that sound like mis- or dysinformed citizens, it is time beyond time to think about how the country is governed. Can anyone seriously picture President Sarah Palin?
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:11 pm
@Theaetetus,
I do have to ask...what in the h ell was that meter on the bottom of the CNN coverage. It seemed to be focused on Ohio Independents, but whatever that means I could not figure out.

For the most part though, I thought that both of the candidates seemed to be in different locations at about the same moment in time. There just seemed to be a disconnect like neither candidate wanted to acknowledge either's existence. They may have countered each other, but neither ever seemed to speak to each other. It was all Obama this and John McCain that. It almost seemed like the candidates agreed to not address each other. Sad because anyone knows that Biden could have made Palin look like an idiot with a few well directed rhetorical questions. But I live in Milwaukee and I know how many morons are out there that would have thought that Biden was insulting them by insulting another individual on their misinformed wavelength.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:44 pm
@Justin,
Well, I can truly see how America has become a war machine. I think Biden addressed the issues while Sarah Palin wanted to go back to talking about herself and what she has accomplished. She didn't seem knowledgeable about anything at all to tell you the truth.

Joe Biden may be more qualified to run for the Democratic party than Obama is based on experience and his straight-forwardness in answering the questions addressed. He actually provided answers while Palin just kept going to back to talking about herself.

I've added some of the videos to the orginal post.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:41 am
@Justin,
Palin won. Clear win for her. Not to say she should have won, but she did. Expectations were low, she was folksy and charming, and not a single gaffe. She was going to win without a gaffe.

Personally, I think Biden was far better than Palin. But that is irrelevant. A reasonably informed voter with an ear for consistency and sanity is a long way from the average voter who reads two books a year - and only if you include Harlequin romance novels.

Bad news for Democrats? You bet. However, looking at the electoral match up, I wouldn't advise any serious worry just yet. McCain lost his debate, reminding everyone of that sweet old grandfather who was just too old to make sense for more than thirty seconds at a time. You love him, but this is a man you hardly trust to drive anymore, much less keep nuclear launch codes.

As long as unemployment stays relatively high, as in not falling below 5.5%, Obama wins this election. So good news for Democrats - unemployment is way too high to drop that low in such a short period of time.
Deftil

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 02:23 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I saw a good bit of it.

Seemed like Biden came out a bit ahead, which isn't surprising considering he has a leg up on on her in the experience department and also the way things have been going for Palin lately. Also, people aren't very satisfied with many things going on in the country right now with Bush and the Republicans, so that gives an automatic advantage to the Dems. Palin tried to separate McCain from the Bush administration, but given McCain's past support for him and his policies, it's really hard to honestly do that. She said we should change but she pointed out that Biden kept wanting to look back at the past... well, if things have been going badly you have to look back to see what needs to be changed and why. She was just trying to deflect blame off of the current Republican administration, but I don't think she was successful in the eyes of most. Nonetheless, I thought Palin held up farily well all things considered. Biden did alright overall, but he certainly didn't impress me greatly. I just think he was really helped by the fact that he's not a Republican, and since poeple do seem to be looking for change, that gives him an advantage.
jgweed

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@Deftil,
The poll seems to be composed of two distinct questions.
The first three choices seem to ask which candidate provided "better" answers (to whom?), and the fourth and fifth whether any answers were acceptable.
Justin

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:52 am
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
The poll seems to be composed of two distinct questions.
The first three choices seem to ask which candidate provided "better" answers (to whom?), and the fourth and fifth whether any answers were acceptable.

Yes, that's my fault because it was meant to be multiple choice but it can't be edited on the front end back to multiple choice. Maybe I should just remove the two at the bottom.

Poll edited not to confuse.
0 Replies

AtheistDeity

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 01:22 pm
@Justin,
I think Palin sounded a bit like I did giving my first speech ever, on how to cook spagetti in the 3rd grade. It seems the majority of her 'knowledge' on the issues is information consumed within the last few weeks. She only seems educated in the areas she has had time to focus on, like energy, and the bail-out. A primary basis of this womens charm is her cutsy disposition, and folksy attitude-not her adept debating abilities, or experience as a leader.
In my personal opinion, I would say Biden came out on top-he seemed experienced in he issues he was discussing, and he answered a large majority of the questions in comparison to Palin. I'll admit I am a little disappointed though... For some reason I was expecting it to be a bit more dramatic. xD
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:01 am
@AtheistDeity,
I am so damned sick of candidates trotting out some "common man" image and then the public gobbling it up like it is some end-all character trait. Not only have I known some colossal *******s who spoke as Palin, Bush Jr., and Reagan have tried to convince us they speak, but I have also never known one that I thought was fit to be president.

Folksy and charming = too dumb to know better or too smart to be trusted.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:59 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
McGovern was folksy and charming.

The difference is the way in which a candidate uses his/her various attributes. For an example, let us compare McCain's handling of his military service to McGovern's handling of his military service. Both are what you might call 'war heroes' - McCain was a prisoner of war for many years, and McGovern flew B52s on suicide missions into Nazi Germany. On the one hand, you have McCain who makes arguments using the following logic - "I can handle issue X; I'm a war hero." On the other hand we have McGovern who, while being viciously slandered by Nixon as being cowardly and weak, did not invoke his military experience because doing so would be "unseemly"; in other words, his military career, no matter how respectable, did not automatically make McGovern right on policy decisions that might face a President.

It's okay to be folksy and charming. But Palin uses this folksy charm in order to avoid answering questions, questions a VP candidate should be ready to handle. It's a ploy, a show, a scam.
Deftil

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I'm definitely not a fan of the folksy thing, or frequently appealing to emotion.
Khethil

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:12 am
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:
I'm definitely not a fan of the folksy thing, or frequently appealing to emotion.

Agree. It's fine (and even endearing) when subtle and accompanied by some solid knowledge, reason and humility. But in this case it *appears* completely ostentatious... to a nauseating level.

Wrapper only - no product inside. Move along, nothing to see here

-------
0 Replies