Welcome to Philosophy Forum Folks.

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:05 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Have a brilliant everything, everyone...Always.
Mark...

not to go off topic because this definitely will but how come you never considered putting this into your signature? I mean you end every single one of your posts with it, have you ever heard the statement?

"If something is said to much, too often, it begins to lose it's emphasis."

Although now after reading it so often it almost sounds condescending. But that is just probably me.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

so these philosophical types, will they be carrying around questions marks as tags or somethin'?

you can recognize us either by the bottle in our hands or the inebriated looks on our faces. but if that is still not evident enough just say hello and if the reply you get is other than hi in return you know you've met a philosopher.
parados

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:09 am
I go on vacation and this place goes all philosophical.

(I hope it rubs off on some of the regulars here.)
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
Is there a "go to last unread post" feature?
ughaibu

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:24 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah wrote:

No.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:04 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All,
I've just arrived. Thank you for your welcoming gestures, by the way. Once we figure the layout out, we'll all feel more at home.
Don't you hosts go forgetting that now - We may be refugees, but this is our home too, our only home, at that. So please don't kick us out!!!
Nice to meet you! I'm off to explore now.
Have a brilliant everything, everyone...Always.
Mark...

Honey we don't kick (much). And we hope, indeed, it IS your home too.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:06 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

so these philosophical types, will they be carrying around questions marks as tags or somethin'?

you can recognize us either by the bottle in our hands or the inebriated looks on our faces. but if that is still not evident enough just say hello and if the reply you get is other than hi in return you know you've met a philosopher.

Buggers for the bottle, eh?

I still recall fondly the mighty consumption of cheap wine at Philosophy Club at uni!

I contend that philosophers CAN return a hi with a simple hi....but does ought imply can?
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

I contend that philosophers CAN return a hi with a simple hi....but does ought imply can?

Yeah, you shouldn't fill a can with anything mediocre or else it won't taste any good.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
@dlowan,
Hi DLowan,
Nice to meet you.
We are all Gods or God's, depending on where you stand.
Have a great day, friend.
Mark...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:10 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah wrote:

Within a particular thread, or within the entire forum?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta,
Nice to meet you too,
We are not all lacking in humour, I assure you. But, there are young adults, and even children entering this zone. So may I suggest (not to you Setanta) that some of you reign in on the expletives. For it is those in all of our wakes that will, ultimately, forge the characteristics of the future inhabitants of civilisation.
Thank you, and journey well, all.
Mark...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:39 am
@Krumple,
Krumple - good to meet you and the other philosophers!
Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Krumple - good to meet you and the other philosophers!

Thankx, but im not sure that i can answer for them despite the fact that i try to control them all, it just hasn't worked how i imagined it would have.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:51 am
hey guys, I just arrived, haven't checked good ol' philosophy forum in awhile I thought, so now here I am. It turns out good ol' philosophy forum has become, well, I don't know. Since I'm a philosopher, I can't help but ask why? And I I'm also wondering where all the stuff I had has gone. I mean my pictures, my friends and especially, my blog.
Khethil

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:10 am
@Lily,
Hey Lily! Nice to see you
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:49 am
@dlowan,
Thanks for the welcome Smile
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
Greetings and salutations everyone. Pleasure to be here. I was a part of Philforum group so thanks for the welcome.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:07 am
@Lily,
The blogs, friends and pictures will be back in the relative near future--likely in that order. The forum has been moved into a new home on the Interwebs, and it is quite a shock at first, but sometimes changes and good things that just have to be dealt with.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:15 am
What a lively group you philosophy people are! Who nice. I'm not sure which one of you mentioned that this place has the lights turned on too bright, but I'm into total agreement. I never realized it before, but I think the look of the site would benefit with a little dimmer lighting. This is mostly a site for grown-ups and we might benefit from less "doctor's office" lighting and more "salon" lighting. Anyone else have an opinion on that?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:33 am
@mark noble,
We used to be PG-13. Not so much lately -- more anarchy and less moderation. Some prefer it this way, others not so much. Rob mentioned establishing self-moderated groups as a priority. I think that will be a good thing for the philofolk who are used to more moderation than we are. There may be a ruffled feather or two along the way, but until the groups thing happens highlighting what tone you're used to and prefer is a good thing.