15 year old boy dies refusing blood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:06 pm
15 year old boy dies refusing blood

Here is the link:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/175764/Jehovah-s-Witness-boy-Joshua-McAuley-refused-transfusion
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,133 • Replies: 8
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
God's got a lot to answer for.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm
this is a tough one, 15 is getting to that age where kids have certain rights to determine their own fate (for right or wrong)

let's face it, 15 & 16 year olds make poor decisions everyday, underage drinking and driving, drugs, gang violence

i have more of a problem when parents pull this stuff with really young kids, running from authorities and trying to hide the kid from health care providers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:18 pm
When my son was born he had a transfusion early on. Something to do with the fact my blood is positive, his mother's blood negative, I think. Since we divorced, she joined the Jehova Witless religion. I don't know if she would have resisted my son's treatment. We don't speak these days.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:57 am
A blood transfusion would have been unknown when the Bible was written, no matter which part of the Bible these people are drawing upon.

At 15, the boy possibly could have over-turned his parent's decision. However, based upon the fact that he was proselytizing at the time, it is unlikely that he would have chosen treatment.

An extreme skeptic might say that the hand of God moved against the Jehovah's Witnesses here just as the same skeptic might say that the hand of God moved against the US in the Gulf of Mexico.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:42 am
a 15 year old boy was shot and killed by a border guard at the El Paso/Ciudad Juarez border on monday, the boy was identified as The boy was identified as Sergio Adrian Hernandez Huereca. It has been reported that some of the boys friends had been throwing rocks at the border guard causing him to shoot the boy.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:47 am
@dyslexia,
do you know what the JW's stance is on throwing rocks at border guards?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

do you know what the JW's stance is on throwing rocks at border guards?
not sure but they seem to favor stoning as a general principle.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:53 am
I know this piece from care2.com does not fit in the thread but after dys' post, which turned the thread toward other tragedies among young teens, I thought I might post this here:

A story out of Pennsylvania illustrates the tragic and extremely dangerous consequences of laws that restrict abortion access. A Polk Township 13-year-old girl performed a self-induced abortion using a pencil. During the process the girl became horribly sick, began having contractions, and ultimately delivered the baby at home.

But this story gets worse. The girl was apparently in a sexual relationship with Michael James Lisk, a 30-year-old man who has now been charged with rape and concealing the death of a child. Apparently the girl was in contact with Lisk while she was in labor. According to the criminal complain, Lisk came to the girl's house and removed the baby in a plastic bag and buried it in a wooded area. A state police forensic unit later discovered the body and are planning to conduct an autopsy.

Lisk's involvement only surfaced thanks to staff at Lehigh Valley Hospital who treated the girl. While at the hospital the girl admitted to conducting a "home abortion" on herself. She apparently told staff that she believed Lisk was the father of the baby and that she had been having a sexual relationship with the him since June 2009. According to news reports the girl is still receiving medical treatment from the incident.

The ever-brilliant Care2 contributor Robin Marty's coverage of this story over at rhrealitycheck.org sums up the problem of restricting abortion access to women, and in this case, to girls. As Robin points out, Pennsylvania is a parental consent state, meaning that this girl had no real legal access to abortion. So what happened? Did she take the advice of anti-choice activists and embrace this "gift"? No. She tried to abort the baby with a pencil and nearly killed herself in the process. Because that's what happens when desperation sets in.

Abortion access would not have changed the tragic nature of a predator impregnating a child, and hopefully the law takes care of Lisk. The fact that this relationship even happened shows a cultural failure that started long before the pregnancy. But when women and girls have open access to reproductive health services it can mean the difference between the loss of one life or two. This girl got lucky, if you can call surviving a DIY abortion and having your sexual victimhood exposed as luck. And a culture that supports open access to abortion care is a culture that has recognized that women and girls have worth, that their lives and their health have independent value, a lesson clearly needed in the case of this young teen.
0 Replies