I don't understand how this car works.

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:46 am
@BillRM,
( i'm not an engineer , neither have any training in science )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

have googled extensively bu t could not find a university nor research organization tackling this - not even science magazine seems to have touched it .
it's not a new idea but has been kicked around for some years - but no scientific body seems to deal with it ???
just curious ... ...
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
but no scientific body seems to deal with it ???
just curious ... ...

Most such bodies do not deal with hoaxes.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
When some hoaxers are claiming to had broken newton's laws I get very closed mind indeed.

That's great Bill. But these aren't hoaxes.

BillRM wrote:
And now that we agree that an ice boat can not move faster then the wind down wind would you care to drop that subject and give the math as how this hoax car can travel down wind at a vel. greater then the wind driving it!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same math that is used for ice boats vectoring off the wind (which I provided in previous posts). These people have simply found a different way to generate the angle.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:02 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Bill is saying that there's a difference between "speed" and "velocity". Speed is how fast you move in any direction. Velocity is how fast you move in a particular direction.

An iceboat's speed can be faster than the wind, but only when moving across the wind. But point the iceboat downwind, the speed drops off, and it can never average a speed downwind faster than the wind itself.

No, not point the boat downwind - what matters is the angle of the sail. And that's the beauty of the propeller - even in a perfectly rear wind, the propeller is always at an angle to the wind, always getting energy from it.

Quote:
These folks are claiming that the car can go downwind indefinitely at 2.85x the speed of the wind. I'm not seeing where the energy to do so is coming from.

No, they did not! They claimed that 2.85x is the maximum speed that they achieved. And I do believe that they pushed the car up to speed to get it started!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:02 am
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:
have googled extensively bu t could not find a university nor research organization tackling this - not even science magazine seems to have touched it .

They're not "tackling" it because they are not surprised. There's noting to "tackle".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Ice boats can travel faster then the speed of the wind at an angle so there are still wind forces in relationship to the boat.

No repeat no ice boat can travel directly down wind at a speed greater then the wind powering it. No ice boat can travel faster in a direction then the wind component vector in that direction.

Once again, bullshit. You are purely wrong.

If I have a wind that is blowing 15 mph from the north, what wind component vector allows that to accelerate an ice boat to 35 + mph traveling from northeast to southwest? There is no component vector anywhere near the final velocity of the ice boat.

Quote:
You not understanding this is a big red sign on the limit of your education on this subject.

Man, this is getting better with every post of yours. You are digging yourself a pretty big hole here with your constant arrogant comments.

When this turns out to be not a hoax, are you going to admit that you don't know what the **** you are talking about? I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:11 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
By the way had you ever in your life taken a college level course in physcis?

Yes... far too many to count. I have taught college courses in Physics.
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:13 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Go back and take a physics course that is advance enough to have forces vectors and that is not all that advance as my high school offer such a course in 1966.
BillRM

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:16 am
@ebrown p,
MY GOD

You are claiming to had taught physics at the college level and you give credit to free energy out of nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
OK, it's either a hoax or an appalling measurement error (I vote hoax).

Here's why, and how they got those pictures:

First, can we agree that if there is no wind, and the car is at rest with relation to the ground, that the thing will not accelerate? No forces acting on it at all.

Next, can we agree that the best outcome possible is for the drag from the wheels to exactly match the thrust from the propeller? Ignoring all friction losses, with perfect power transfer, drag = thrust.

If we agree on those points, then the case of a stationary car, and a car moving at the same speed as the wind are equivalent. The apparent mostion of the ground is immaterial. Thrust and drag cancel out, and there is no wind relative to the car, so the car cannot accelerate.

Then how did they get those pictures?

1. The car on the treadmill, I believe there is a fan at the back of the treadmill. It is put in place while the narrator is demonstrating the car for us.
2. The car on the salt flat, the string measuring apparent wind is placed in front of the car (and thus in front of the propeller), not to the side. To properly measure indicated airspeed, there should be a pitot tube way out to the side. The way they did it would be like having a pitot tube directly in front of the propeller on an airplane; you would get ridiculously high indicated airspeed.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:33 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Geez, DrewDad, You are that unwilling to accept the possibility (however unlikely) that you might be wrong?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:34 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Here's why, and how they got those pictures:

First, can we agree that if there is no wind, and the car is at rest with relation to the ground, that the thing will not accelerate? No forces acting on it at all.

Next, can we agree that the best outcome possible is for the drag from the wheels to exactly match the thrust from the propeller? Ignoring all friction losses, with perfect power transfer, drag = thrust.

No - drag on the wheels should match thrust from the propeller + thrust from the sail in a perfect world...

Here's their blog -

http://www.fasterthanthewind.org/

You tell me if you think the whole thing is a carefully orchestrated hoax.

I would point out that these guys are (contrary to earlier assertions) sponsored by San Jose State University.

Cycloptichorn
rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:35 am
More and more ways to say the same thing...
Quote:
It is empirically known that yachts or sailing boats can continuously travel diagonally with (as well as against) the wind at speeds (such that even the component of their velocity in the direction of the wind is) significantly faster than the wind.

In the boat's frame of reference (assuming steady nonaccelerating state, inviscid flow, etc) the sail can be oriented such that any (sufficiently) diagonal headwind (or tailwind) is redirected more into the sternward direction (with the same speed, by conservation of energy), such that the reaction force on the boat (while mostly perpendicular to the keel) has a positive component in the direction of the bow; (neglecting friction) a sailboat can accelerate forward as long as the wind relative to the boat is not arriving directly from the front.

In the water's frame of reference (assuming the boat is already moving forward) this redirected breeze is always slower than the incoming wind (draw the trig'), losing energy and momentum to the boat (later frictioned to the water), independent of how fast this lets the boat accelerate compared to the windspeed.

The simple idea behind the fan and wheeled trolly contraption is that the belt (which couples their respective axels) performs exactly the role of the sailboat's keel (imagine sailing on a ringworld).

The belt/gear ratio constrains the propellor-tip to move through space on a fixed helical trajectory of constant diagonalness (the ratio of forward to transverse motion, or pitch to circumference), ensuring that (as long as the atmosphere is moving forward relative to the ground) the propellor tips are never moving directly into the wind and thus (identifying the propellor blade with a yacht's sail) a forward thrust component can be obtained regardless of whether the velocity of the cart itself is less, equal or more than the wind velocity.

The limiting factors are the aforementioned ratio, the fixed-angle pitch of the propellor-tip's blade-sail, the windspeed (relative to the ground), drag and friction. For any constant windspeed, the ratio and the propellor sail-pitch together determine a maximum cart velocity (downwind relative to the ground) at which forward thrust can be produced (this can be larger than the wind velocity but not infinite) but it is a tradeoff because the ratio simultaneously increases drag, and (with the ratio also fixed) tuning the propellor sail-pitch for higher cart-velocity decreases its efficiency at lower cart velocities.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:37 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

Geez, DrewDad, You are that unwilling to accept the possibility (however unlikely) that you might be wrong?

I should have added "IMO".

I'll believe it when it's independently verified.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Go back and take a physics course that is advance enough to have forces vectors and that is not all that advance as my high school offer such a course in 1966.

I took physics that covered this in high school as well.

Answer the question:

If I have a wind that is blowing 15 mph from the north, what wind component vector allows that to accelerate an ice boat to 35 + mph traveling from northeast to southwest? There is no component vector anywhere near the final velocity of the ice boat.

Edit:

bam. video -

http://vimeo.com/10476453

You can't see the windspeed measurement in this video, but it's obvious that the thing is hauling ass by the end of the tape.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Bill's not saying that the boat can't have a ground speed greater than the wind speed. Bill's saying that if you take the speed vector of the boat, and break it up into its downwind and crosswind components, that the downwind component will never equal or exceed the wind speed.

And I agree.

You might get 35 mph in a 15 mph wind, but you're going to be going almost 15 mph down wind and about 32 mph crosswind, for a total ground speed of 35 mph, once you add the vectors.

You can then turn directly downwind and briefly go faster than the wind, using your stored momentum, but your speed will fall back off again.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I've looked at the blog, and yes, I think the whole thing is a carefully orchestrated hoax. If it's not, then then they are appallingly bad at measuring scientific phenomena. (Which, I grant you, could be the case.)

They claim to be sponsored by San Jose State.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I've looked at the blog, and yes, I think the whole thing is a carefully orchestrated hoax. If it's not, then then they are appallingly bad at measuring scientific phenomena. (Which, I grant you, could be the case.)

Or... perhaps... you could be wrong?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 10:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No - drag on the wheels should match thrust from the propeller + thrust from the sail in a perfect world...

If drag on the wheels = propeller thrust + wind thrust, then the thing would never accelerate. Propeller thrust + wind thrust would never overcome the drag.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 10:03 am
@ebrown p,
There is always a possibility I could be wrong. I do not feel that it's very large in this case.

If their claims are independently verified, I shall be very surprised.
0 Replies